Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

GolfSpy WD

I prefer blades in my scoring clubs.  I played the Hogan FTX for years, and the Scor back design is reminiscent of the older Mizunos like the MP32.  It was called a "cut muscle" on the 32's and 57's and 60's and even the original FLI HI had the cut muscle, and those were great.

I have only hit Scors a couple of times, RevKev let me hit his when he first got the wedges almost 2 years ago. I will tune back in to see how this goes.

Speaking of which you're due for a Florida visit!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minus some feel issues for some I think SCOR golf makes the most Under-rated wedges in the game when it comes to performance.  Which should be all that matters for the clubs that go in the bag.

Collect clubs, fine, they go in the office or on the wall.  You use the weapons in the bag.  

They have a nice thin going,  I wish they offered a black nickel or gunmetal option though.  I just used my credit card rewards to get some wedges.  Considered the Scor's,  along with the Mizuno, Titleist, and Callaway.  Ended up picking the SM5's and the black nickel option played a part in my decision.  Maybe as they continue to grow,  more options will be available.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Matt I've forgotten now but you would have had a couple of SCORs as a part of your package. Was it the finish or did you end up misfit? My iron fitter told me what to get. In retrospect I wish that I had just done the SCOR fit and followed their prescription. Still I'm bagging that 60 because it can do so much, I picked up a 53 along the way so that's a big gap but I can grip that bad boy down to the second dot and it flows through fine.

The 60 is my only steel shaft in the bag.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Matt I've forgotten now but you would have had a couple of SCORs as a part of your package. Was it the finish or did you end up misfit? My iron fitter told me what to get. In retrospect I wish that I had just done the SCOR fit and followed their prescription. Still I'm bagging that 60 because it can do so much, I picked up a 53 along the way so that's a big gap but I can grip that bad boy down to the second dot and it flows through fine.

The 60 is my only steel shaft in the bag.

I got 3 as part of the tour contest.  Just sorta picked them and got them standard.  I had just bought a set of wedges,  actually the grinds I still play a month before the tour contest.  In hindsight,  I should have just put the Scor's back for a rainy day but I'm not that smart.  I either sold them or traded them.  Wouoldn't have had to buy a new set this week had I kept them. 

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I love them.

Today's testing is off for me, it's been thunder and lightening since I got home from church. We're getting hit by a doozy of a storm right now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I love them.

Today's testing is off for me, it's been thunder and lightening since I got home from church. We're getting hit by a doozy of a storm right now.

Pardon me, but aren't YOU supposed to shoot the course record in conditions like that??

;)  ;)  ;)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

:).

I had one of those experiences in real life only I was the Bill Murray character. We were in Seminary and there was a course adjacent to our property that allowed students to play (for fifteen minutes on Tuesday) at a greatly reduced rate.

My dear friend Rick who was a very erratic 10 and I went out to play under questionable conditions. This course was a bugger, because the folks who owned and developed it were a mom and pop with no golf experience they were clueless. It reminded me of Bethpage black before the redo but in better shape. For the uninitiated this meant iron shots that caromed off greens and then repelled away 40 yards or so into some nasty spot. Literally any swing could be a round breaker.

Rick started off par, par, par and then birdied the next three holes when suddenly the heavens loosed. It was the classic, let's wait it out under these trees (for an hour). Way pre cart girl, pre cart for us actually we stayed semi-dry. He was going to finish that round come hell or high water, shoot his personal best and set the course record.

I think I heard him exclaim, "rat terms!" as he blocked his first drive after the rain ob. That triple took care of the birdies and the next two doubles took care of breaking 40. We quit after nine and settled our bets at the bowling alley over beer and pizza.

Interestingly he has served as our equivalent of a bishop probably because I've never publically shared that or a myriad of other golf stories about him from seminary days. Our bishops are elected and he keeps sending me hush money checks so it's all good.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I hit 5 wedges in my round today and averaged 17'1" from the hole. This testing has opened my eyes to the advantages of getting it to 100- 125. I had 9 shots in that range today and was 1 under on those shots with only 1 missed green and a stupid 3 putt bogey from 29 feet - if you are putting everything out you'll find you are just as likely to 3 putt as 1 putt from 30 feet, at least I am, I suspect most of us are.

I think it's for it for me to push it a bit to get in that range or lay back to that range rather than getting closer to the green. Just give me a full wedge.

I will either get out Thursday or Friday afternoon to do some serious testing because this is a tough weekend and school starts next week so there won't be much time. After that I instead to hit the launch monitor.

I'm anxious to hear what Nic and WD are up to.

I'm also encouraging everyone to work on their short irons the work has left me brimming with confidence with the irons in my hand.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I love them.

Guess I'll be seeing these wedges in action next week on the course huh? Lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Guess I'll be seeing these wedges in action next week on the course huh? Lol

You betcha.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm anxious to hear what Nic and WD are up to.

I'm also encouraging everyone to work on their short irons the work has left me brimming with confidence with the irons in my hand.

Lots and lots of balls being hit on the range and lots of holes being played on the Par 3...  It is quite amazing what happens to the golf swing with a little concentrated effort.

I will try to get a coherent post up at some point during the day today..

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Lots and lots of balls being hit on the range and lots of holes being played on the Par 3...  It is quite amazing what happens to the golf swing with a little concentrated effort.

I will try to get a coherent post up at some point during the day today..

We may find a new practice regime.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have been to the grass range three times, to the par 3 twice, as well as to the regulation length course once over the past 10 days. This is a ton of golf for me, and it is starting to show.

My results from the grass range are as follows.

My club has a marker on a very shallow green that I was able to position myself 125 yards away from. (Verified by Bushnell) The Green that the marker is on is only 7 yards deep, and VERY firm. We do not water the driving range at our club, only the tee.  Any shot that hits and stays on that green will hit and stick on any 125 yd shot. W

I typically hit my Adams CB1 PW 125, so that is why I chose this spot on the range. After a 10-15 min warmup period, I proceeded to hit approximately 300 shots at that green with both the Adams CB1 Pro Black PW and the SCOR 46° wedge. Alternating every 5 shots, and treating each shot like it was in a round (proper pre-shot). Results are that with the Adams, I hit and held the green 25% of the time. (about 1 in 4) Most shots were short, or missed left. With the SCOR 46° I was able to hit and hold the green 60% (a little better than 1 in 2) Most shots were on line, and landed on the green, but bounced over. (keep in mind that this green is 7 yards deep, and 9 yards wide.) Needless to say, the 46° is now in the bag. 

On the course, the SCOR wedges performed just like they did on the range. Straight, consistent flight. A little lower than I am used to, and a little less spin, but I will get used to it.  The turf interaction is quite exceptional. The wedge just cuts through with very little drag. 

So far, so good.

Wow, you were able to hit the green and hold it 60% of the time over 25% with a shot that was lower and with less spin. Please don't take this as me doubting you (sometimes the written word can come across wrong). I'm wondering how you were able to be this much better with what I would assume would result in less green holdiness (low with less spin)

Wow, you were able to hit the green and hold it 60% of the time over 25% with a shot that was lower and with less spin. Please don't take this as me doubting you (sometimes the written word can come across wrong). I'm wondering how you were able to be this much better with what I would assume would result in less green holdiness (low with less spin)

With my current wedge, misses were either short or left, while solid shots held. With SCOR, there were more solid online shots that held...  As far as the spin goes, that is all anecdotal, based on my on course experience.

How are you seeing them perform out of wet/sloppy lies?  They seem like they would be chunk city.

We have not had any wet weather around here for weeks.  I will post back in late November with results..  (thanks ALOT for reminding me...  BOOOOO.....)

How are you seeing them perform out of wet/sloppy lies?  They seem like they would be chunk city.

When I first got my SCORs two years ago I had some small issue with this - never on full shots though.  There is something magical about that sole though, you get used to it very quickly and as mmmmbuddy wrote the turf interactions is great. 

I bascially play in the wet half the year and I find that the SCORs compress the ball way better off that wet truf than my GI irons with the wider sole.

Back to Jondagcl - don't confuse lower and less spin for low and no spin - think right trajectory, right amount of spin to be very stable and to stop when they land because that's what he means.  There is no issue getting these clubs to stop and when I'm hitting chip shots I have no trouble producing the amount of spin that I need to control the distance nicely, really nicely.

I'm anxious to get on a launch monitor so that I can give you some numbers and then it may make some more sense to you.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

With my current wedge, misses were either short or left, while solid shots held. With SCOR, there were more solid online shots that held...  As far as the spin goes, that is all anecdotal, based on my on course experience.

We have not had any wet weather around here for weeks.  I will post back in late November with results..  (thanks ALOT for reminding me...  BOOOOO.....)

It appears to me that your two wedges have different carry distances, that the Adams is flying about 120 and the Score about 125.    Remind us again if they are the same lofts, lengths and shafts, or if you think small differences in these specs might account for the different carries?

Consensus seems to be that the Scor's go lower and spin a tad less.   I'm not worried about the lower spin, since my wedges aren't high spin anyway and I think that a shaft switch can adjust ball height.   But it makes me wonder about their carry distances and gapping holes I may create by switching.   I play Speedblades and I did away with my set wedges, replacing them with ATV's that I bent to match the SB lofts in 50, 55 and 60.  Gaps were covered fine.  

Regardless, I still like Scor's shpiel and I like all-terrain soles so I went on line and did their fitting matrix and they suggested that I cover my PW - 60 spread with a 44, 48, 52, 56, and 60.   Sadly, the distance of their 44 still projected to go shorter than my current PW.   Sorry, Scor, but I just don't have room for 5 wedges in my bag, especially 5 wedges that leave me a hole to my 9 iron.

So now I don't know what to expect.   Anyway I bought a Scor 45 and will reshaft it with the same shaft as my SB PW (high launching TT Dynalite 85) in the same length and we'll see what happens.   If I like what I see, I'll think about a 41 bent to 40 for the 9 and a 50 for the GW.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

It appears to me that your two wedges have different carry distances, that the Adams is flying about 120 and the Score about 125.    Remind us again if they are the same lofts, lengths and shafts, or if you think small differences in these specs might account for the different carries?

Consensus seems to be that the Scor's go lower and spin a tad less.   I'm not worried about the lower spin, since my wedges aren't high spin anyway and I think that a shaft switch can adjust ball height.   But it makes me wonder about their carry distances and gapping holes I may create by switching.   I play Speedblades and I did away with my set wedges, replacing them with ATV's that I bent to match the SB lofts in 50, 55 and 60.  Gaps were covered fine.  

Regardless, I still like Scor's shpiel and I like all-terrain soles so I went on line and did their fitting matrix and they suggested that I cover my PW - 60 spread with a 44, 48, 52, 56, and 60.   Sadly, the distance of their 44 still projected to go shorter than my current PW.   Sorry, Scor, but I just don't have room for 5 wedges in my bag, especially 5 wedges that leave me a hole to my 9 iron.

So now I don't know what to expect.   Anyway I bought a Scor 45 and will reshaft it with the same shaft as my SB PW (high launching TT Dynalite 85) in the same length and we'll see what happens.   If I like what I see, I'll think about a 41 bent to 40 for the 9 and a 50 for the GW.

I can say with absolute certainty, that I carry my Adams CB1 PW 125-135 depending on the conditions. This time of year, in this weather, I would expect to hit that club 125 comfortably all day....  (on the course, not the range)

Specs are identical on both the 46° and 50° SCOR and my gamers. I have verified this twice on a Mitchell bending unit, and a SCUBA Unit. The only difference would be the shafts and Swingweights. My Pw has a Flighted PJX 6.0, and the Gw has a TTDG S300. The Swingweights on the SCOR clubs are 2 points heavier than my clubs...

I can say with absolute certainty, that I carry my Adams CB1 PW 125-135 depending on the conditions. This time of year, in this weather, I would expect to hit that club 125 comfortably all day....  (on the course, not the range)

Specs are identical on both the 46° and 50° SCOR and my gamers. I have verified this twice on a Mitchell bending unit, and a SCUBA Unit. The only difference would be the shafts and Swingweights. My Pw has a Flighted PJX 6.0, and the Gw has a TTDG S300. The Swingweights on the SCOR clubs are 2 points heavier than my clubs...

Aaaah, I think I get what you're saying.   You're saying that your MISSES with the Adams were short and left, not the good natural shots.   The good strikes were 125.   But with the Adams, being cavities and more erratic (or should I saw "with a higher standard deviation") there were more misses than the scor and those misses were usually short and left.   The good shots with both went about the same.   Did I get it right?

Now since we all tend to favor the consistent miss side, does this mean that you tend to favor the left miss, shifting your aim point a tad more right with the Adams?   Do you favor anything with the Scor?    The flighted PX is a low flight shaft to start.   Is the Scor 46 closer in ball height to the Adams PW, or is it lower still?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Aaaah, I think I get what you're saying.   You're saying that your MISSES with the Adams were short and left, not the good natural shots.   The good strikes were 125.   But with the Adams, being cavities and more erratic (or should I saw "with a higher standard deviation") there were more misses than the scor and those misses were usually short and left.   The good shots with both went about the same.   Did I get it right?

Now since we all tend to favor the consistent miss side, does this mean that you tend to favor the left miss, shifting your aim point a tad more right with the Adams?   Do you favor anything with the Scor?    The flighted PX is a low flight shaft to start.   Is the Scor 46 closer in ball height to the Adams PW, or is it lower still?

Correct. Misses were generally either short and on target,or left of target.

I was on a range, so aimpoint was the same for all shots. On the course, as a rule, alignment is a BIG issue for me. When I aim it correctly, I usually play pretty good.

Visually speaking, the SCOR 46° looks to fly a tad lower than my Adams CB1 Pw. There is not a noticeable "Peak" in the flight. It reaches the apex of the flight, and then just sort of noses over..  I will get on the LM next week for some hard data collection to put this into perspective. I do not find the ball flight "too low" at all. In fact, I really prefer the penetrating flight that I get with the SCOR over the higher, floaty flight I typically experience with my wedges. I find it to be more controllable. (To my limited abilities..)

I went through this the first time I tested the short irons. A fat shot is really really ugly. Then I tried with my Rocketbladez and a fat shot was still really really ugly.

I came out of that particular experiment deciding that the width of the sole doesn't help much when it comes to soggy ground. It probably helps sweeper types on firmer ground, but so far for me the difference in sole width has been unnoticeable in terms for forgiveness against fat shots.

Interesting thoughts, I could see myself loving it for firm/flop shots, but just wondered about the wet stuff.  Thanks for answering!

I think that's a huge perceived benefit, but I need to test doing flop shots with my current GI set before I really go into it.

That said, I'm already used to flop shots with my wedges and the same swing with the Scor short irons produces a nice flop as well. I suck at making the same club go different distances, so having multiple clubs to work with is very nice.

Everyone here should know that SCOR had our current gamer club specs and they tried to replicate what we are currently playing.  Like MmmmmmBuddy my wedges are two swing weight points less than the SCORs.  I have graphite in all of my clubs except my 60.  I've checked the lies/loft of the SCORs and the lofts are spot on the same as my gamers, the lies are 1/2 degree flater in the SCORs.

MmmmmBuddy is about a club longer than I am but it sounds as if we are getting very similar results with the Pitching Wedge.  I have only tested with the ball that I game on a golf course.  I've hit the clubs on the range to warm up but not at all to test - I don't like testing with range balls.

I'm getting out of work now and if it doesn't range I'm going to hit the Par 3 course, if it doesn't the next testing opportunity will be Monday.  My daughter's birthday is this weekend.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks for the follow up. Makes sense.

This thread has just made me curious enough to visit there website and try out there fitting thing. I don't know if I will have the room or will want to play 4 wedges but its certainly going to be something I will talk about with my teaching pro when it comes time to get my new clubs

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

This thread has just made me curious enough to visit there website and try out there fitting thing. I don't know if I will have the room or will want to play 4 wedges but its certainly going to be something I will talk about with my teaching pro when it comes time to get my new clubs

I'm not saying you would do it but depending on the loft of you short irons some of their suggestions would be replacing your 9 or even 8. Our original charter was GW and 9 iron until SCOR realized how jacked our lofts were.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm not saying you would do it but depending on the loft of you short irons some of their suggestions would be replacing your 9 or even 8. Our original charter was GW and 9 iron until SCOR realized how jacked our lofts were.

Yea I can see myself possibly pulling the pitching wedge in favour of one of the scores as well as my 56* sand wedge but their highest loft is only 61* which makes it hard to find a replacement for my 64* lob wedge

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Archived