TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

GolfSpy WD

Thanks... I'm probably looking to replace my 52 wedge soon... maybe I'll check out a Scor wedge even though I'm a Vokey guy.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks... I'm probably looking to replace my 52 wedge soon... maybe I'll check out a Scor wedge even though I'm a Vokey guy.

Vokey = great club. SCOR = better.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had my first postable round using the Scor 45, 50, 54, and 58 today instead of my set Speedblades PW and ATV wedges.   Shot a 37, 32 for a 69 so I guess we can say that the Scor's did not hurt me.  

I thought my chipping could have been better, but it was acceptable.  I'm chipping with the 58 and feel it needs to be a little more upright for my normal putter chips, but on full shots it goes straight so I don't want to bend it.  Hit one 85 yard full shot with the 58 that went pin high and stopped nicely.   Hit many full shots that were easy smooth to the exact distances I'm used to, no adjustment necessary.   Plenty of height, plenty of spin and I'm swinging easier.   Now, to be fair, I had only 4 birdies, three of which were 2 putt birdies so on the surface you'd say the wedge play wasn't remarkable, but I had a high number of other makeable attempts that the putter just couldn't convert.   The round before I had just played on shaggy punched greens and couldn't adjust to the speed.  

Highlights.  One hole I had 117 from the thick rough, took the gap wedge that goes 122, choked up just a hair, easy swing, it came out normally and went to 119.  This would NOT have happened with my old clubs.  Rough shots were always iffy. 

One hole I had 135 to the hole which is my 45 range.  But it was downwind, downslope so I hit the 50 which should be 122.  It stopped pin high, 10 feet to the right.

One hole I had about 40 yards to the green and the group on the next tee was dawdling so I hit three half punches over the front bunker to see how they held.   One was 15 feet long, second went in the hole, third was a foot away.   These clubs are soft and smooth so you can hit those sorts of touch, lower shots without fear they'll run away on you.

Needless to say, they're staying in the bag for now.   The 45 has a Genius 12 shaft and the others have Dynamic gold s300's but all feel and act pretty similar.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give us an idea when the summary results for the SCOR wedge testing will be posted on the blog, and will the special pricing from SCOR be over by then?

I am probably going to pick up a 50 and 46, but would like to read the summary analysis, even though I followed the testing very closely.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've now had three postable rounds with the Scor's in my bag.   They're staying in and I'm selling off the ATV's.   My chipping with the Scor 54 and 58 remained a bit iffy, so I took them in and had them checked.   Yep, they were two degrees flat, so I had them bent up to normal.  Chipping and directional control both improved.   Now I'm pretty happy.   They remain superb from all rough shots.   They require a very smooth swing which just feels orgasmic when you get it right.   My ball flight is also up now that I know how to swing them.   Backspin is also increasing.   I'm pretty sure I'll buy a 41 to replace my 9 iron as well.

Can you give us an idea when the summary results for the SCOR wedge testing will be posted on the blog, and will the special pricing from SCOR be over by then?

I am probably going to pick up a 50 and 46, but would like to read the summary analysis, even though I followed the testing very closely.

Both MMmmmmbuddy and I have sent our final reviews in for editing so it should be soon. If you had a specific question or concern I'd be happy to answer it.

I ended up bagging the GW replacement but am still up in the air about the PW replacement. I'm filthy good with my Wilson PW and 9 iron. My eyes light up when I'm between 95 and 130 right now. I totally have that part of my game under control even from marginal lies. I'm also getting pretty good down to 70 so that's a large part of the course that I'm comfortable on right now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's being worked on. I've had a lot of unexpected real world stuff recently, but it's being worked on and I'll be around more often soon.

WD rest assured that whatever the real world stuff is we hope and pray that it works for the best. You're a good egg..... :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No worries.  Based on all of the testing posted by rev and markb I have pretty much decided to pick up the GW and PW.  I don't think either of them reflects my game; I have a lot of room for improvement. :)   The special pricing is such a deal too!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No worries.  Based on all of the testing posted by rev and markb I have pretty much decided to pick up the GW and PW.  I don't think either of them reflects my game; I have a lot of room for improvement. :)   The special pricing is such a deal too!!

It's a great deal! Just be sure to contact someone at SCOR so that they can recommend the right specs for you.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The 58, 54, 50 and 45 remain in my bag.   I'm not quite hitting full 58 shots well, but in fairness that full 90 yard sky high flopper is hard to pull off.  The chipping is MUCH better after the bending, so I agree about really matching your Scor order to what you need.  I'd suggest measuring the exact specs of all your existing wedges (if you like them) for length, lie, loft, flex, swingweight etc and sending that in.   I bought all my Scor's used, so of course all hand to be re-checked and adjusted.   All Scor's a basically custom clubs.

The bending straightened out the first three to the point where I can take dead aim now, and I'm thinking I want to bend the 45 as well as it's going just a smidge right still.   I'm also learning that the ideal Scor swing is more the same regardless of the turf.   Even on mushy ground, you don't have to worry so much about catching it fat.  Those heavy small heads will power through anything and you're going to take a big scalp no matter what, but in mushy turf the Scors seem to stop or deflect less.  Therefore what might end up fat with another club is an okay shot with a Scor.

I'm now hitting my Scors higher and with more backspin than I was when I was first testing them.  I think this is a result of slight swing evolution to give the club what it wants.   They are going just a shade shorter than before too.   No doubt because they're going higher and spinning more.   I'm not complaining, mind you.  My used Scors have some face wear and browning, but they still spin a lot.   That's good for you guys who buy new to remember.   You'll get years of use out of them.

I'm not as enamored with the Scor's out of greenside bunkers as some are.   Again, the small heads are diggers, even when laid open.  They don't glide through fluffy sand using natural bounce.  I'm finding that I have to use more of a cutting or chopping stroke hitting closer behind the ball and really come all the way through.  This is an advantage on firm or crusty bunker shots, but the fluffier the sand gets, the tougher the shot becomes.   Longer shots are okay, but its the short bunker shots that I can't pull off yet.

Sorry about being absent from the thread for a while. Things have been a little nuts around here. I have been on a course a grand total of 1 time in the past month. In my experience, the SCOR wedges are absolutely a must for anyone looking for improvement with the scoring clubs. In my most recent round, I has a chance to hit either the 46° or the 50° as an approach club 8/18 holes. I was able to play those holes in -2. (should have been -6, but that is another story about my "suspect" putting). The rest of the round was +10 for a grand total of +8.  The more times I put the SCOR in my hands, the better my chances are to make a good number. 

It is a no-brainer for me. I am looking at new irons for next season, and am most likely only getting 5 iron-8iron.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

It's a great deal! Just be sure to contact someone at SCOR so that they can recommend the right specs for you.

They already have my specs.  I have the 58 and 54 that I bought a year ago.  I inquired a couple of months ago and they still have them, so it's a mater of them matching the other wedges.  

The 58, 54, 50 and 45 remain in my bag.   I'm not quite hitting full 58 shots well, but in fairness that full 90 yard sky high flopper is hard to pull off.  The chipping is MUCH better after the bending, so I agree about really matching your Scor order to what you need.  I'd suggest measuring the exact specs of all your existing wedges (if you like them) for length, lie, loft, flex, swingweight etc and sending that in.   I bought all my Scor's used, so of course all hand to be re-checked and adjusted.   All Scor's a basically custom clubs.

I'm not as enamored with the Scor's out of greenside bunkers as some are.   Again, the small heads are diggers, even when laid open.  They don't glide through fluffy sand using natural bounce.  I'm finding that I have to use more of a cutting or chopping stroke hitting closer behind the ball and really come all the way through.  This is an advantage on firm or crusty bunker shots, but the fluffier the sand gets, the tougher the shot becomes.   Longer shots are okay, but its the short bunker shots that I can't pull off yet.

I don't usually hit a sky high flopper unless the situation calls for it.  One of my best shots is a low 58 with lots of spin.  I need that shot on one particular hole, and have found it useful elsewhere as well.  I tend to flight all wedges fairly low anyway, just because I find it easier to control the distance in the wind (which we have a lot of here).  I also had the opportunity to try the 58 out of bunkers last week while practicing for my company tournament.  I don't consider myself a good bunker player because I really don't get a chance to play out of bunkers except when I travel (my practice course doesn't have any).  I have usually used the 54 for sand, but last week I found that the 58 worked quite well because the sand was firm.  I take pretty shallow divots most of the time, so digging is not a problem.  Maybe it's just the sand we have in our area.  I know it's not the same as in Florida!!

Thanks again for the great review guys.  I appreciate it.

Mark's in Utah, I'm in Florida.

Our sand tends to be fluffy in the winter and firm in the summer because of the rain. I generally use my 60 for sand shots and am very proficient with it for any shot except a low runner. If I need that I use the 53. I'm not great at that shot regardless.

Going from 60 to 53 goes against the SCOR system but the 60 is so versatile that I'll make that sacrifice to keep it in the bag.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

No sooner did I say I was having trouble with sand shots and 90 yard high bombs with the 58, than I hit them all superbly today! Including 2 long hard awkward sand shots that I was very pessimistic about going in. It's just a matter of slight adjustments to give the club what it wants. All the Scor's remain fantastic out of any kind of rough. The best irons I have ever hit from the rough, I almost prefer a drive to go in the rough these days.

Mark's in Utah, I'm in Florida.

Our sand tends to be fluffy in the winter and firm in the summer because of the rain. I generally use my 60 for sand shots and am very proficient with it for any shot except a low runner. If I need that I use the 53. I'm not great at that shot regardless.

Going from 60 to 53 goes against the SCOR system but the 60 is so versatile that I'll make that sacrifice to keep it in the bag.

I have played in the sand in both Florida and Utah. Most of the time I played in Florida was during the summer; generally Orlando or Naples. Don't get there much anymore because my good friend from Ohio who wintered in Naples passed away a few years ago (on the golf course at age 85). I don't remember the sand being all that firm. What I remember was my wife going to the golf store to buy golf shoes because she only had golf sandals and spent way too much time in bunkers!

Sand out here varies tremendously. We have some courses with crap, crusty local dirt, some with imported white beach sand and some with very fine red or pink dune sand that is so wispy and light you get fried eggs all the time. Depending on where you play, you have to bring a wide variety of sand shots.

Sand out here varies tremendously. We have some courses with crap, crusty local dirt, some with imported white beach sand and some with very fine red or pink dune sand that is so wispy and light you get fried eggs all the time. Depending on where you play, you have to bring a wide variety of sand shots.

Yeah, I remember the sand in St. George.  Lots of variation from course-to-course and from hole-to-hole on a course.  Same thing here in SE Washington state.  We like to go to central Oregon for great gold that is only about a 5 hour drive.  Here is one of my favorite courses with lava sand, Aspen Lakes in Sisters, Oregon.

AspenLakes.jpg

I have played in the sand in both Florida and Utah. Most of the time I played in Florida was during the summer; generally Orlando or Naples. Don't get there much anymore because my good friend from Ohio who wintered in Naples passed away a few years ago (on the golf course at age 85). I don't remember the sand being all that firm. What I remember was my wife going to the golf store to buy golf shoes because she only had golf sandals and spent way too much time in bunkers!

Any course in Naples is different from the muni I play on. Trust me...:)

Normal summer course conditions about anywhere here will have a crusty film on top of the sand. Firm may be the wrong word. When I was growing up in CT I played a course where the traps were like a caret path. That was common place on many courses then. I suppose that's firm.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I loved Naples.  Nice courses.  Played a lot of them after they were built and before they got enough members to go private.  Seems like that is what they do there.  As for Orlando, I played ChampionsGate (both courses), Dubsdread, Shingle Creek, Eagle Creek, and several of the Marriott golf courses, as that's where I stay when traveling.  I had a friend who used to live in Tarpon Springs; played there once but don't remember what course.

I found the sand at the courses in Orlando to be pretty soft, but that was probably because most were resort type courses.  They spend a lot of money on bunkers.  Last year in Phoenix I was told by one course that it cost about $12K per bunker per year to maintain; they were taking two out while we were there!

I used to be afraid of bunkers because I never really played out of them until I started traveling a lot for work.  I figured that I had better learn because it seemed like I was in them all the time.  Since my game improved over the last few years, I am not in as many but when I am, I feel confident that I can get out especially with the SCOR wedges.  They are amazing for me; the 54 for regular sand and the 58 when the sand is a little firmer.

On the other thread, you said that your grandson lives up here in the great Pacific Northwest.  Where?  Do you get up here often?

There is crusty film, then there is hard pan dirt.    At two of the courses where I play,  your first option is always putting out of them if you can find a ski jump lip to putt over,   If you can't,  you go for the hack chop to hopefully get under it.  The Scors are pretty good at this.

Yeah, I remember the sand in St. George.  Lots of variation from course-to-course and from hole-to-hole on a course.  Same thing here in SE Washington state.  We like to go to central Oregon for great gold that is only about a 5 hour drive.  Here is one of my favorite courses with lava sand, Aspen Lakes in Sisters, Oregon.

Mmmmmm Aspen Lakes.  Good track.  I enjoy the Aspen Lakes / Black Butte Double in the middle of the summer. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Mmmmmm Aspen Lakes.  Good track.  I enjoy the Aspen Lakes / Black Butte Double in the middle of the summer. 

Me too.  We played both Black Butte courses and Aspen Lakes this spring; just before the Central Oregon Shootout at those courses plus Eagle Crest (my least favorite one in the area).  Met some very nice people where were playing in the tournament; one Duck and one Beaver as a team!  

I've now played 5+ rounds using the Scors as my sole wedges.    Pretty much all my quibbles from earlier posts have been fixed or compensated for.  I've now had three straight rounds with really good, controlled sand shots that feel great.   I also went in and had all my Scor's checked for loft and lie and adjusted most of them slightly.   This adjustment turned them from just okay-accurate to dead on pin-seeking accurate.    They still tend to dig in fairways and I have to sweep with a full follow through, but the rough shots remain thoroughly superb.  They are a bit longer than normal out of the rough so I have to remember that while my Scor 45 will be 135 from the fairway, it'll probably go 140 from the rough.

I post these updates because all too often I find you'll read internet reviews that will test a new club for a half a bucket of balls right after it's released and then you never hear boo again.   These Scors have gotten better with more exposure to them.  If I were to repeat my early tests posted here, I think I'd find that they would perform much better than they did before -- and they did well enough before to convince me to switch from what I used to play.

I played a course in Bismark, ND a few years back where the bunkers were all black.  They were filled with a by-product of the coal burning power plants.

As I remember, it was loose and dry to the touch.  My wedge could slide right though it easily.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Well we are all over the place here literally, figuratively and topically.

@ Kenny if you were references me I don't have a grandson in the Pacific Northwest. I apologize if I gave that impression. It's the one part of the country I've yet to visit. I do have a son in the Navy and he's on subs. If he does his 20, which is looking likely, he could well end up there at some point. Then I would have a son and a grandson up there.

Mark that is always the issue with testing, who's to say there wouldn't be a different result if the user were more familiar with the test club. It's also why I don't like to use once and purchase. Who knows what was happening with my swing on a given day. I like two or better three cracks before buying.

For this test I was actually more familiar with SCOR than my gamers. I've had a pair of SCOR wedges in my bag for two plus years. My Wilson's were new. I am so good around the green with my SCOR 48, I absolutely love that club.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Watching the guy bend my Scors reminded me that because they are forged, they bend really easily.   Just leaning on them bends them out of spec.   I used to check my forged irons at least once a year, I guess I'll have to start doing that again.

Would somebody PM me the coupon code or special deal we have with Scor?   I think I'll just go order my 41 straight from them.   They are really hard to find on Ebay.

Would somebody PM me the coupon code or special deal we have with Scor?   I think I'll just go order my 41 straight from them.   They are really hard to find on Ebay.

done.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Well we are all over the place here literally, figuratively and topically.

@ Kenny if you were references me I don't have a grandson in the Pacific Northwest. I apologize if I gave that impression. It's the one part of the country I've yet to visit. I do have a son in the Navy and he's on subs. If he does his 20, which is looking likely, he could well end up there at some point. Then I would have a son and a grandson up there.

Rev,

Sorry if If misunderstood about your grandson.  I couldn't remember which post it was mentioned in, so had to go searching.  I found it under your Kids and Golf thread started on Tuesday.

"@ Kenny I didn't realize my grandson was out your way."

If you haven't been out here in the great Pacific Northwest, you are missing great views and great golf.  I can tell you though that I don't miss the Bermuda grass of Florida.  I thought I was a decent putter until I went there for the first time!  Takes some getting used to.  I am headed to Phoenix in a couple of weeks, so I will need to spend the first few days practicing on it again.  But I think Arizona keeps their Bermuda a lot shorter than I remember in Florida.  Seems easier from the rough and on the green.

Archived