TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

GolfSpy WD

Ah yes I remember it had to do with some sort of behavior and that was a lame attempt at humor.

A lot of our better courses have switched to a different type of Bermuda known as Tiff Eagle. It plays more like bent, it's easier to make it fast, it's very firm and there's much less grain. I've never struggled with Bermuda and am kind of sad to see it go. My league course has old school Bermuda with not intent to change. That's just fine with me, I know how the ball breaks. I do have some issues with reading them when they are over seeded.

I wish everyone would get rid of the Bermuda rough but that's not happening any time soon. That will keep SCOR in business though. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My trip to Phoenix will be my first since I bought my SCOR wedges about a year ago, so I haven't played them out of Bermuda yet.

My wife and I are playing the local country club (semi-private) tomorrow, and the wedges always get a workout there.

Thanks to you and markb on the testing of the SCORs; I ordered the 46 and 50 to go with my 54 and 58. Hopefully, I will have them before my trip. Great deal on the MGS coupon!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My trip to Phoenix will be my first since I bought my SCOR wedges about a year ago, so I haven't played them out of Bermuda yet.

My wife and I are playing the local country club (semi-private) tomorrow, and the wedges always get a workout there.

Thanks to you and markb on the testing of the SCORs; I ordered the 46 and 50 to go with my 54 and 58. Hopefully, I will have them before my trip. Great deal on the MGS coupon![/quote

You are welcome on the testing and you'll love those additions to the set. My 48 has been my go to chipping club since the first chip at TPC Sawgrass.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Another round today with Scor's only.   Another great day out of the sand with the 58 and I had a bunch of pin-seekers with the other clubs that ended up inside of ten feet on full shots.  It was a wet day and I didn't have any trouble with the wet turf like I thought I would.   Yes the Scor's are diggers, but the graves they dig seem to be consistently the same depth whether the turf is wet or dry.   The heavy, small heads just carve the same gouge regardless of what they encounter, be it rough, thin bent fairway or spongy turf.  

I'm noticing that when you swing a Scor, you must give it a good full sweep to get your intended yardage.   If you baby a shot at all or half-ass it without full commitment, you'll probably come up way short.   But when you commit, the results are superb

I've also noticed that I hit a number of line drive skulls with the Scor, more so than with my Speedblades, but these bullets seem to have a lot of spin on them and they tend to check up without too much damage.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Another round today with Scor's only.   Another great day out of the sand with the 58 and I had a bunch of pin-seekers with the other clubs that ended up inside of ten feet on full shots.  It was a wet day and I didn't have any trouble with the wet turf like I thought I would.   Yes the Scor's are diggers, but the graves they dig seem to be consistently the same depth whether the turf is wet or dry.   The heavy, small heads just carve the same gouge regardless of what they encounter, be it rough, thin bent fairway or spongy turf.  

I'm noticing that when you swing a Scor, you must give it a good full sweep to get your intended yardage.   If you baby a shot at all or half-ass it without full commitment, you'll probably come up way short.   But when you commit, the results are superb

I've also noticed that I hit a number of line drive skulls with the Scor, more so than with my Speedblades, but these bullets seem to have a lot of spin on them and they tend to check up without too much damage.

Sounds like a great round! I did the "skull" thing when I first got my 54 and 58 SCORs, but since they spin so well, I learned how to control that shot. Not saying that I am proficient with it, but with practice, it comes in very handy on a few holes at my course.

Waiting patiently for my 46 and 50!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nah, pretty mediocre.   Drove the ball well, but the fwoods and long irons let me down.  

I'm glad to know it isn't just me with the skulls.  And it's not so much of a true skull because when I look down I still see a slight divot about one to two inches in front of where my ball was.   And the ball doesn't skip over the back of the green like a regular skull.   It's almost a normal length shot.   Damned interesting.  I do it about once a round though -- too much for comfort.

So have you started to grip down and use that method for taking yardage off of shots rather than backing off?  I like to go with the first dot as my standard and then go up or down - takes off or adds about 5 yards, then I throw in a three quarter swing that does the same so that I have a range of 20 yards with each club. 

I hadn't thought so much about the change in swing tempo, I generally don't like to do that anyway.  I try and hit everything at about 80 percent or so.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

yes, I do that and it works much better.  You're always better off choking up with too much club that finessing it or horsing a lower club.

My problems with the bad shots distance wise came when I didn't fully commit to the full shots I knew I needed to do.  Example: on hole 7 I had 131 to a back pin with a slight head wind.   Now my 45 is a 135 club, but behind this hole is death.   Anything long and I'm going to get a 5 or 6.   So with the head wind I knew I need a full shot, but fear caused me to baby it just a bit and I end up 10 yards short and right.   I drop a second ball, fully commit and bingo, I'm pin high 3 ft to the right.   Hole 8 I have 128 to a center pin down wind.   This calls for a full 50 degree going 122 normally.   But I horse it too much and skull it, still it skips to about 120, drop another ball, strike it pure and go to 125, perfect.  

Now I make par on both holes, but if I had stayed fully committed instead of second guessing at the last second, I'm staring at short birdies instead.

yes, I do that and it works much better.  You're always better off choking up with too much club that finessing it or horsing a lower club.

My problems with the bad shots distance wise came when I didn't fully commit to the full shots I knew I needed to do.  Example: on hole 7 I had 131 to a back pin with a slight head wind.   Now my 45 is a 135 club, but behind this hole is death.   Anything long and I'm going to get a 5 or 6.   So with the head wind I knew I need a full shot, but fear caused me to baby it just a bit and I end up 10 yards short and right.   I drop a second ball, fully commit and bingo, I'm pin high 3 ft to the right.   Hole 8 I have 128 to a center pin down wind.   This calls for a full 50 degree going 122 normally.   But I horse it too much and skull it, still it skips to about 120, drop another ball, strike it pure and go to 125, perfect.  

Now I make par on both holes, but if I had stayed fully committed instead of second guessing at the last second, I'm staring at short birdies instead.

That's the five and a half inch part of the game you know. :)  So many people would call those shots physical erros but more and more I think that 90 percent of all physical errors start in the head.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played yesterday. I think that I was possessed by Rodney Dangerfield for about 14 holes.  Couldn't find the golf course with half of my shots. From the tees that we were playing, I should have had 5-8 approach shots in the SCOR range.... Ended up with 2. I hit both inside 10 feet. These clubs are simply amazing.... for me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Played yesterday. I think that I was possessed by Rodney Dangerfield for about 14 holes.  Couldn't find the golf course with half of my shots. From the tees that we were playing, I should have had 5-8 approach shots in the SCOR range.... Ended up with 2. I hit both inside 10 feet. These clubs are simply amazing.... for me.

I hear you.   With my trusty reliable Speedblades, I knew I was going to get something in the general vicinity of a green -- and believe me, at my level that's still good enough with the 3 thru 8 irons.   If I'm sitting at 215 out on a par 5 with a 4 iron, something near the green is paradise.   But it is not good enough with the 9 thru wedges.  

With the Scor's I now know I can put a ball at a tucked corner over a hazard.   I can aim at quadrant targets if I get 135 and under.   I know the shot is in the tank if I can keep the swing together and pull it out.   With the SB's, I only had a vaguely defined feeling that the ball would go somewhere okay-ish, but I didn't know quite where.   It would go Okay-ish more consistently than the Scor's, but had less chance of being great.   You feel me?  

The Scor is a sharper knife.   More chance you'll cut yourself with it, but also a better chance you'll get the job done more precisely.

Played today and shot a 68 with 16 birdie attempts, making five.   The Scors were 8 for 8, which is actually a really low number of attempts.  Normally I use them about 12 times.   Two of those attempts were pitches of some 60 yards after I botched the iron approach.  Both were within 5 feet, resulting in par saves. 

Two attempts were what Rev raved about, but which I'd never tried before -- intentionally flighted shots.   130 yard shots that I had to punch low to keep them under trees.   Amazingly, both shots came off perfectly, hit the green, and one produced a birdie.  Rev was right, you can pull off differently flighted shots quite easily with these.  

Another shot was to a tough green with a white flag at 90 yards that had a backstop slope behind the pin.  So I took my 104 yard 54 Scor and hit down on it, hoping for some backspin.  It went 100 to the backstop 10 yards behind the pin and then it started to come back.   I fist pumped a YES, and turned to put my trusty club away.   When I looked up again, the ball had spun back just off the front of the green.   It came back about 30 yards.  The most spin I have ever put on a club in my life.

Aren't those flighted shots with the SCORs nice. I had to learn one for a particular hole and now I use it quite a lot.

After your reviews and revs, I ordered two more SCORs. Got my 46 and 50 SCORs on Friday and played a course I only play 1-2 times a year. Had 6 saves for par on the back nine; two were with my 54 from the bunker. Hit them to 1 inch and 1 foot. Shot 78, love my SCORs!

Yes they are.  I'd previously "skulled" a few that strangely ended up okay, but this was the first time I'd ever tried to hit long punches.  I'd simply never had the need before. 4 of my 8 Scor beauties were touch shots with the 58 to about 60 or 70.   So they were not full shots and usually pretty tough.   The furthest away was about 8 feet. 

Nice work guys. I've been away for a few days at a conference. Played one of the Disney courses in tough tough conditions, wet snarly deep rough because they couldn't mow it. Shot 75, the SCORs great around the greens out of that rough.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I played for over a week now with my new 46 & 50 SCORs. Wow is all I can say! I am about to go with a 41 or 42 to complete my set. I will give them another 10 days tryout in Phoenix, then decide.

If they are this easy to hit and work so well, why don't they go on to mid-irons?

I'm replacing my 9 with a 41 and I'd replace the 8 if they made a 36 or so.   That would boot all the non-slotted Speedblades out of my bag.   It will be really hard to rip those slotted SB's away from me though.  They were a dream for me again today as I played a 2 under 70.  I hit another stick while chipping with the 58 for the third consecutive round.   The only slight miscues I had were on two holes where I used my GPS to approximately range the flags and came up short because I pulled the wrong club.   If I'd lasered both flags, I would have seen about 5 to 10 yards more and pulled the right club.  I'm really impressed by their distance consistency.   They go exactly their distances if you hit them solid.   For me the 45 goes 135, the 50 goes 120, the 54 goes 108 and the 58 goes 90.   I can't really horse more out of them, but choking up for less like Rev says, is easy and reliable.

If I were selecting my Scor's again now, knowing what I know, I'd probably pick a 45, 49, 53, 60 instead of my current 45, 50, 54 and 58.  

After I got hit on my arm yesterday with a ball, I shot -1 over the last 6 holes. I had one chip in with my 50. The clubs feel solid when hit correctly, and for me I think it is the shaft. I am playing the Genius 9 graphite at R flex. I asked SCOR if they sold the shafts and they said no. Supposedly, this shaft is a 95g UST which is heavy for graphite. Probably why I like it; I like the weight of steel, but hit graphite further with less arm pain.

I also asked UST which shaft they provide for SCOR but so far, no answer. I think I would like that shaft in all my irons.

Now that I have had these in the bag for a while, I find myself looking into other player bags. I am surprised by the number of SCOR wedges in better players bags that I am seeing...  More that I would have expected.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I think you would see a lot more in bags if people had the opportunity to try them out.  I was fortunate to have a golf course that had a SCOR demo kit. The kit was a case with several clubs and shaft combinations.  I don't think they had ever been hit.  I spent a couple of hours with them on the range, around the practice green and in a practice bunker.  Ordered my 54 & 58 the next day.  They were my go-to clubs around the green for the last year.  Now that I added the 46 & 50 a week ago, I have many more options around the green.  I am doing more bump-and-runs when the pin is further away with much better results.

I am not sure that I would have ordered them if I hadn't had the opportunity to try them out.  I'm glad I did!

They are probably Recoil 95 graphites.   The steels are KBS Tour 90's and 120's.  Whatever they are, Scor picks good components.  

Did you ever notice the grips are put on slightly "crooked".    Barry said that's done on purpose so your thumb can go on the white dot slightly off center.   Barry and I talked about divots, the V-sole and lie bending quite a bit and I began to think that Scor's should come with an instruction manual.   Everything you guys said about "do this, don't do that" has eventually been proven correct.  

The thing that really baffles me is why when I "skull" them do they still go the same distance?   I can't explain it, but I've learned that a screamer still has a good chance of staying on the green so I don't really even think of them as mishits anymore.

I am not partial to the SCOR grips. I understand the point of the white dots, but I don't really care for the feel. They also seem to get slick rather quickly. I have them on my new ones, but as soon as I get back from AZ, I will replace with Pure grips.

I have never skulled them except on purpose, so can't say why they would go the same distance, but they are easy to control. Did Barry provide any insight?

I guessed that they were probably Recoil shafts, waiting for confirmation from someone.

I played another 9 today.  Chips bad, full shots phenomenal.   Lately they've really been going SKY HIGH for me.   My initial reviews carped that the Scor's went lower than my other wedges.  That impression is completely erased.   I must have adjusted somehow because they are all real high now.   Distance control remains superb.   I need the longer grips because I do a LOT of low grip putter-chip chipping.   Without the long grips, I'd be on the metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more weeks with the Scors and I'm more in love with them than ever. So precise, so reliable. Sometimes you'll read rave reviews about a club and then not hear anything from the reviewer until you see a month or two later that he's moved on to something else. Not so with me and the Scors, they are only getting better.

Today I was playing and the marshal tagged along with me for two holes as I raved about how precise my Scors were. I had a 135 shot that I sorta punched, but it still went straight 135, stopped 8 feet from the pin. Next hole I had 147 and I took my 40 degree that goes that distance and smacked it. I turned to  the marshal immediately after hitting it and said, "I don't even have to watch it, that's perfect."

The ball mark was 4 inches from the cup.

I probably just sold another set of Scors.

I really wish they made an 8 iron.

Only 5 months for the Hogans!

I really wish they made an 8 iron.

Only 5 months for the Hogans!

Well, then they would have to change the name to something like 3861.

I am as much in love with them as you are. Ready to pull trigger on 9 replacement.

Have you heard if the Hogan heads will be similar to the SCORs or if they will use the same shafts? I would seriously consider them if the feel was the same, and if they are not too "pro" for me. :)

I played my first round in 3 weeks yesterday, and the SCOR wedges were just as good as they were a month ago. I am VERY seriously considering replacing 54°, 58°, and 9 iron with these things. I just seem to hit more shots that are online, and the correct distance with them. 

Yes, and yes.   I've heard they will have v-soles and that they will integrate into existing Scor offerings.  

I saw no loss of distance or control with my 9 replacement.   They bent it to 40 for me at the factory.   Only quibble was shaft length, I ordered 3/4" long and it came REALLY long.  I had to cut about 1/2" off to match my existing 9.   But it has been a beauty for me along with the others.   I'm wondering how long the Scor has to be before I start screwing it up.   Probably around a 7 iron, i'm thinking.

The Scors have been the best, most substantial club replacements I've done in about 5 years.  They just go where I point them and to that consistent distance every time.   They've made me more dependent on my laser, however.   It's no longer good enough to gps a pin and get in the general vicinity.   Now I want to know exactly how far so I can choke up on a club if necessary.

I am surprised by all the people just now becoming aware of this.  I replaced my short iron blades with GI cavity backs years ago and did not lower my handicap.  I hit no more greens with GI clubs than blades and partial shots were much worse. It was not until I went back to blade irons that I lowered my handicap.  However, just because I can occasionally hit a 2 iron blade flush, does not mean that I have to.  My bag is set up to give me my best scoring opportunities.

I do not have Scor wedges,  although I do lust for them from time to time.  If they made up to a 5 or 6 iron I would have them in the bag right now.

If you want to see true game improvement, learn to hit the 3/4 shots, 9=110, PW = 100, 52 = 85, 56=75, 60=65 or the 1/2 shots, 9=80, PW=70, 52=60. 56=50, 60=40.

I extend this to every club in the bag, but since the 6 down are blades, they are far more accurate.  If I am 140 yards out, and use a half or three-quarters shot and am more than 15 feet from the flag, I am disappointed.  I am disappointed a lot, but I am also very happy more often. 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I switched to GI for the long end.  I was so sick of hitting poor 5 and 4 irons to 185 and 200 and leaving a 30 yard gap till I got to my 5 wood at 230 that I had to do something.   So I got these super easy to hit Speedblades.   The 4 iron is very reliable to 215-220 and the 5 is solid to 200.   6 is my favorite club to 185 and 7 is a steady 175.

Then things start to get "fuzzy".   The SB short irons were like shotguns -- they would hit something in front of me, but I would never be quite sure where they were pointed.   Or rather, I should say I was pointed in the right direction all along  -- I know that now thanks to the Scors -- but the Speedblade short irons would only go in the approximate direction I pointed them.   The fuzziness got worse the shorter I went.   I very quickly ditched the set GW, SW, and LW.   Took me a little longer to replace the PW and 9.

Gapping is a problem when trying to blend a GI long set with traditional short irons.   If not for the Scors' ability to specify lofts and lengths, I'd be stuck or have to bend a lot.   If I want to replace my SB 8 iron going forward, I'll have to find some forged 7 iron and reshaft it AND bend it for loft to get something that goes approximately the same distance.

If you want to see true game improvement, learn to hit the 3/4 shots, 9=110, PW = 100, 52 = 85, 56=75, 60=65 or the 1/2 shots, 9=80, PW=70, 52=60. 56=50, 60=40.

RR, you just described my full shots! :)

Archived