TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

GolfSpy WD

I may have said this before, but the Scors have actually encouraged me to Tee It Forward.   The reason being that I want to hit them more often and by moving up I can get all my approaches in Scor range, avoiding 7 and 8 iron approaches.    It's not pushing me, but it feels good.

Oh come on you're too young for this! :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bit the bullet and ordered a 45* to replace my G25 PW.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

If you are like me, you eventually get a 41 and kick out the 9. See my other post on your chipping topic.

I got my 42 yesterday so now I am set from 42 to 58 SCOR wise. Played it today and I'm loving it. How sweet it is!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm sure I will sooner rather than later. I think I'd prefer to have a 5* gap between my 8 and 9 anyway.

Beautiful day today east of the Cascade mountains; sunny 63 with a slight breeze. (I saw on the radar that west of the Cascades is still rainy. Sorry guys.

The course I played today is my practice course; a 9 hole executive course with one par 5 and two par 3's. The par 4's are driver and one of my wedges or 9-iron. I played 18 today with the pro and 2 others; had 4 birdies and 2 bogies. All of the birdies were shots stuffed with one of my SCORs. The furthest was 2 feet; one with my new 42 that I got on Friday.

It's amazing what confidence with your wedges will do for your game. I just wonder what would happen if SCOR made an 8 and 7 iron replacement. Would I hit them just as well? At some point they probably become no different than any other mid to long iron for me. But I can still hope that maybe the Hogans will feel the same. Looking forward to the spring release.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice job. I'm going to hit the par 3 course this afternoon. Our weather has been spectacular of late also. 70's, dry, a nice breeze, 50's at night. Love the fall and winter in Florida. It makes up for the summer beyond a doubt.

Can't wait to play and hit my SCORs again.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Going out this afternoon for my first round with all 4 Scor's in the bag.  Unfortunately it's a high of 50 with 15-20mph winds so I don't have high hopes for my score.  10 day forecast shows highs in the 30's starting Sat so my true Scor test might not start until sometime in March/April/May next year :(

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

15-20 mph is just a breeze!  Where I live, we have wind most of the time.  I actually don't mind it that much unless the greens are very fast.

I have played the SCORs long enough to know how I can flight the shots down pretty well.  They still carry and stop quickly too.  That's one of the reasons I like them, but there are many other reasons too!

Hope you have a great game.

You can try the Scor punch shots though.   I had to be talked into trying them and sure enough, they seem to work easier than with other clubs.   They're somehow more controllable.   Try them and see.   I hit one 40 yarder under a tree then over a bunker yesterday because I had no other option.   Rolled out to 4 feet.   Every time I remember to try one I get better results than I think I will.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Played this morning. 9 fairways hit but only 5 greens. 4/5 greens that I hit were with my SCORs, including my only birdie. Just couldn't hit my irons well today. Still managed an 84 thanks in large part to my new confidence around the greens. Still need to improve substantially more with my short game but I'm confident that with my old set up I would have been closer to 90 today. Looking forward to my 45* getting here tomorrow.

I love my Scor's.   So does everyone who tries them.   Trouble is, they stop at the 9 iron.   I'd love a Scor 7 and 8 if I could get one and I'm finding it hard to wat till March to see if the new Hogans will work as a longer stick compliment to them.   I also know I need a forgiving cavity back to hit my long irons decently.   So what do I do?  

Well, recently I found these.   The new Srixon z745 irons are forged cavity backs with the V-sole.   Could they be an upper end compliment to the Scor's?   Lofts aren't all that jacked.   I haven't tried them yet, but I'll try to do so and report back.

Srixon irons.jpg

Definitely slick looking.  I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread about a conversation with Barry @ SCOR saying that the V-Sole would be carried over into the Hogans.

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

I wish Srixon offered those in LH. I'd love to try them out.

Had the first eagle of my golfing career today with my 58* SCOR. 25 yards out with the pin in the front hit a high flop style shot that landed softly and found its way into the hole.

Now you'll never let them go!  Congratulations.   My 58 saved me about a dozen times today too.

Had the first eagle of my golfing career today with my 58* SCOR. 25 yards out with the pin in the front hit a high flop style shot that landed softly and found its way into the hole.

Congratulations! Hope you have many more!

For the past year I have used the 58 and 54 for of course their specific yardages, but also for most shots around the greens. This was because my usual course has small greens and the SCORs felt so much better than the i20 wedges. I can actually use the 58 on most any chip shot and fly it whatever distance I needed to get the ball close to the hole. I know the bump and run is a safer and probably a more reliable shot, and I need to work on that.

Over the past couple of months since I got the 50, 46, and 42 SCORs, I have been practicing with the various lofts for different distances. This brings me to my current problem. I can basically use any SCOR for any chip, so now I have too many choices, and I think I have lost some confidence in pulling off a shot. Should I use this one or that one! I have figured out when to use the 42 vs the 58 and maybe even the 46 vs the 54, but not any of the adjacent clubs.

So, is there a specific practice technique I should be using that would help this decision making process? I really have a problem when I play other courses where the greens are large, have more slope to them and are running faster.

That's a problem I can sympathize with.  Since the various Scor's are so similar in feel and bounce and length, the temptation to mix and match them is high.  Also I've found that when they are opened up, they go less left (straighter) than other wedges, causing me to play with open faced flops in more variety too.

This eventually got out of control and I've since gone back the other direction.   Now I stick with the 58 for nearly all chips that the 58 can pull off because for the most part they are all touch shots and I don't want to fiddle with touch in the slightest.   Most are choked to the very bottom of the grip too.  Today however, I had to hit a long bump and run under a tree and over a bunker.   It was nearly the same shot I had a week ago on the same hole.  I chose the 50 both times and hit this one to 12 feet, the other to 4.   I was quite happy, but I still chose the 58 for everything else.

As the Rev suggested, I do a lot of choking down for any tweener shot so I can still hit the higher club full.   Sometimes it works (out of the fairway) and sometimes things go nuclear even when choked down. (out of the rough).   But overall it works well down to about 85 yards.  Below that, I'm in the realm of touch.

That's what I used to do with most chip shots. That shot you describe is similar to one I typically have with the 58, I use the 58, keep it low for 20 yards because of low trees, and the ball will still stay on these small greens. I have tried it with others and the ball runs off the back.

Lately, I have been using the 50 for chips close to the green so I don't have to fly the ball so far. Seems to be working, but I now have to consider if it could be a 54 because the pin is close, or a 46 because the pin is back. That indecision is what's causing problems. When I was in AZ last month, it was a real problem because to me the greens were huge, and I had slope and grain to deal with. My chipping is better than it used to be, but it is still not a strong part of my game. The indecision cost me a lot of strokes in AZ, and it seemed like I always made the wrong decision!

I also have the same issue Kenny so I've been trying to narrow it down. I find that I'm using my 45* SCOR if I want to hit a bump and run. If I need a shot that will land and stop quickly, I go with the 58* obviously. For everything else in between I've been using my 54* which I'm liking a lot. There is no doubt that I could use my 50* as well but I just don't want to add another club into the mix.

I can agree with all of you on which is the right SCOR club to use. It is funny sitting back and reading the comments as we all have one problem.  It now is not about the club, it is having too many "trusted" clubs around the green that we hit the wrong shot as we are thinking too much about the shot.

I'll provide my two cents and everyone can take it for what it is worth because at this point, I think it is less about the functionality of the club, but goes into how you play the game.

I was lucky enough that I had the same person who taught me how to play golf at age 10 be a local PGA pro who was also my high school coach who was also my step-dad.  If he taught me one thing around the green it was play the percentages and keep it low.  If I was deciding between a 8 iron bump & run or a 56 pitch to the hole, I was told to hit the 8 iron.  It avoided taking the club back to far and control the distance more leading to closer chips.

Granted if there was an elevation change prior to green or a hill to hit over, then hit the pitch.  If it was a ridge in the green, hit the bump & run and learn how to control it.  By doing this, he literally opened my entire bag around the green.  I'll my 4 iron HOGAN to my 59 SCOR.

With the SCORs, if I'm deciding between my 51 & 55 now, I just see if it is downhill or uphill.  If it downhill, I take the 55 and if it is uphill, I grab the 51.  I read somewhere most 85% of chip shots inside 25 yards are short.  

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

Archived