GolfSpy WD

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

Our Sponsors

We will Mark this is supposed to be a four week testing period and we all just received our clubs last week. We've been going out it quietly while WD set the thread up.

I played 18 today followed by a session on the par 3 course. I'm bagging the SCOR Gap replacement already because there's no doubt it's superior for me. I'll get to the test of PWs in a minute because it was stunning. Here I wanted to note that I had the perfect lie that could have lead to disaster from the rough. I had 107, nice GW for me, remember I'm playing at sea level in fairly wet conditions, at my best I'm not that long but here it can get ridiculous. At any rate sitting up a bit in Bermuda this one could easily have gone no where and instead I hit it to 18 ", yes, that's 18 inches. First of 4 birdies on the day and really got my round going.

To the actual test, I hit 20 balls with each wedge from a variety of distances because by then the sea breeze was up to about 12mph. First two sessions the two wedges have been within a foot of one another. Not so this time. I was ridiculously dialed in with my Wilson wedge and actually averaged 14'6" for my 20 shots. Check out shot link for the tour on shots from 100-125 and you'll see how sick that is. I think I would be the leader in that category ON TOUR if I could keep those numbers going. It was hardly a fair fight. For some reason I had distance control issues with the SCOR and averaged 29'5" for the test. It was a good sampling for sure.

One cool side result of this test will be the comparison between our results and Iron Byron's. I think it's going to show what our guys say here and that is that you need human testers because human's swing clubs. Look, sound and feel mean nothing to iron Byron and they mean something to us. The matched GW of the Wilson does not fit my eye and I struggle to hit it well. I love the way the SCOR looks and a series of good shots have given me confidence that it will go where I'm aiming and fly how I'd like it to. I had a second one on the back nine today to a tough pin, really tough, all carry over a deep grass bunker, gnarly Bermuda rough, pin in a little bowl on the far right side of the green, way back little margin for error and I hit it to 14 feet and made another birdie,

Conversely I am super confident with my Wilson irons, PW through 5 right now, they fit my eye, I'm starting to connect with them and feel as if I can control them. I'm starting to be able to flight them down in the wind also. So it's going to be hard for the SCOR W to compete with my Wilson W. I'd love fro it to, it's so much more attractive in my bag but the results aren't there yet.

In regards to the flying lower I really do think we've misrepresented the ball flight or I have at least, think lower launch, it's apex is still pretty dog gone high. The greens that I played today were firm by Florida summer standards and I had no trouble spinning them back a bit. I'm going to need launch monitor numbers to really know which wedges spin better for me. In the winter spring here it's important because the greens on our better courses get firm plus in March/April.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Looking forward to the results.  I bought the SCOR 54 and 58 last year and love them.  Depending on what I hear about the GW and PW, I may spring for them too.

For those who want to try them out, I called SCOR and asked if there were any demos in the area, and fortunately they had a set of wedges with different lofts and shafts at one of my local courses.  I called them up and they let me take the set out to the range and chipping/bunker area.  After hitting a few, I knew I wanted them and it was just a matter of what lofts and shaft.  It would be worth a call to see if there is a set near you.  

I am on travel this week and next in Albuquerque, and I will be playing this weekend, assuming the monsoon rains let me!  Great thread.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looking forward to the results.  I bought the SCOR 54 and 58 last year and love them.  Depending on what I hear about the GW and PW, I may spring for them too.

For those who want to try them out, I called SCOR and asked if there were any demos in the area, and fortunately they had a set of wedges with different lofts and shafts at one of my local courses.  I called them up and they let me take the set out to the range and chipping/bunker area.  After hitting a few, I knew I wanted them and it was just a matter of what lofts and shaft.  It would be worth a call to see if there is a set near you.  

I am on travel this week and next in Albuquerque, and I will be playing this weekend, assuming the monsoon rains let me!  Great thread.

Shoot! I would meet up with you in Abq, but I have a full weekend. 

They made a great call choosing you for the review rev, thoughtful and detailed feedback!

You are too kind, I take this responsibility very seriously because not only is the test important to SCOR but the quality of the work done by the testers creates more opportunity for all of us here.

@ Kenny it's a shame these clubs haven't gained more traction and I think that in part is it, they just aren't available to test, throw in the cost and it's a tough haul. I only heard of them here and won two of them in a "little" contest that we had. But my iron fitter for the contest didn't understand the SCOR concept well. I ended up with a 60 and 55, I recently found a used 53 that I've put in for the 55. It fits the yardage gap. I'm great with the 60 out of the sand or competent at least and I hit it far enough that the gripped down to the 2nd dot 53 flows into it fine. My pro has heard of SCOR but doesn't know a lot about them. He's exactly the guy who should be selling them. The assistant pro that we played with at Sawgrass had never heard of them but he was impressed with mine. That's a problem for SCOR. They need to tap into some of those guys in order to gain greater penetration in the market.

BTW the contest was huge. I wore my true links wear shoes today, my sub 70 outfit at Sawgrass. The bettinardi was the hit of my schools auction. My best friend has lowered his handicap four strokes with my mizunos. I only recently stopped bagging the R11s and the fitting for that was sick. And I won second place.

This site rocks!

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Shoot! I would meet up with you in Abq, but I have a full weekend.

Not a problem. I am playing with a good friend who is a member at Sandia GC. Will be back again in September.

Rev, I agree about the availability. I wonder if SCOR can't produce enough product to locate them in strategic outlets. I do like the idea that they stick to green grass locations rather than box stores, and have sets to try on course. I think I might have bought one anyway just on looks alone!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not a problem. I am playing with a good friend who is a member at Sandia GC. Will be back again in September.

Rev, I agree about the availability. I wonder if SCOR can't produce enough product to locate them in strategic outlets. I do like the idea that they stick to green grass locations rather than box stores, and have sets to try on course. I think I might have bought one anyway just on looks alone!

That's funny, my cousin works at Sandia. She gets me on there every so often. I like that course. 

Like that your doing it three different ways. Can't wait to see the final results.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

WP_20140802_003.jpgWork is getting done today.  Tabulating results as soon as I get rehydrated..

WP_20140802_004.jpg

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I prefer blades in my scoring clubs.  I played the Hogan FTX for years, and the Scor back design is reminiscent of the older Mizunos like the MP32.  It was called a "cut muscle" on the 32's and 57's and 60's and even the original FLI HI had the cut muscle, and those were great.

I have only hit Scors a couple of times, RevKev let me hit his when he first got the wedges almost 2 years ago. I will tune back in to see how this goes.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I prefer blades in my scoring clubs.  I played the Hogan FTX for years, and the Scor back design is reminiscent of the older Mizunos like the MP32.  It was called a "cut muscle" on the 32's and 57's and 60's and even the original FLI HI had the cut muscle, and those were great.

I have only hit Scors a couple of times, RevKev let me hit his when he first got the wedges almost 2 years ago. I will tune back in to see how this goes.

Speaking of which you're due for a Florida visit!

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Minus some feel issues for some I think SCOR golf makes the most Under-rated wedges in the game when it comes to performance.  Which should be all that matters for the clubs that go in the bag.

Collect clubs, fine, they go in the office or on the wall.  You use the weapons in the bag.  

They have a nice thin going,  I wish they offered a black nickel or gunmetal option though.  I just used my credit card rewards to get some wedges.  Considered the Scor's,  along with the Mizuno, Titleist, and Callaway.  Ended up picking the SM5's and the black nickel option played a part in my decision.  Maybe as they continue to grow,  more options will be available.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Matt I've forgotten now but you would have had a couple of SCORs as a part of your package. Was it the finish or did you end up misfit? My iron fitter told me what to get. In retrospect I wish that I had just done the SCOR fit and followed their prescription. Still I'm bagging that 60 because it can do so much, I picked up a 53 along the way so that's a big gap but I can grip that bad boy down to the second dot and it flows through fine.

The 60 is my only steel shaft in the bag.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Matt I've forgotten now but you would have had a couple of SCORs as a part of your package. Was it the finish or did you end up misfit? My iron fitter told me what to get. In retrospect I wish that I had just done the SCOR fit and followed their prescription. Still I'm bagging that 60 because it can do so much, I picked up a 53 along the way so that's a big gap but I can grip that bad boy down to the second dot and it flows through fine.

The 60 is my only steel shaft in the bag.

I got 3 as part of the tour contest.  Just sorta picked them and got them standard.  I had just bought a set of wedges,  actually the grinds I still play a month before the tour contest.  In hindsight,  I should have just put the Scor's back for a rainy day but I'm not that smart.  I either sold them or traded them.  Wouoldn't have had to buy a new set this week had I kept them. 

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I love them.

Today's testing is off for me, it's been thunder and lightening since I got home from church. We're getting hit by a doozy of a storm right now.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I love them.

Today's testing is off for me, it's been thunder and lightening since I got home from church. We're getting hit by a doozy of a storm right now.

Pardon me, but aren't YOU supposed to shoot the course record in conditions like that??

;)  ;)  ;)

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

:).

I had one of those experiences in real life only I was the Bill Murray character. We were in Seminary and there was a course adjacent to our property that allowed students to play (for fifteen minutes on Tuesday) at a greatly reduced rate.

My dear friend Rick who was a very erratic 10 and I went out to play under questionable conditions. This course was a bugger, because the folks who owned and developed it were a mom and pop with no golf experience they were clueless. It reminded me of Bethpage black before the redo but in better shape. For the uninitiated this meant iron shots that caromed off greens and then repelled away 40 yards or so into some nasty spot. Literally any swing could be a round breaker.

Rick started off par, par, par and then birdied the next three holes when suddenly the heavens loosed. It was the classic, let's wait it out under these trees (for an hour). Way pre cart girl, pre cart for us actually we stayed semi-dry. He was going to finish that round come hell or high water, shoot his personal best and set the course record.

I think I heard him exclaim, "rat terms!" as he blocked his first drive after the rain ob. That triple took care of the birdies and the next two doubles took care of breaking 40. We quit after nine and settled our bets at the bowling alley over beer and pizza.

Interestingly he has served as our equivalent of a bishop probably because I've never publically shared that or a myriad of other golf stories about him from seminary days. Our bishops are elected and he keeps sending me hush money checks so it's all good.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I hit 5 wedges in my round today and averaged 17'1" from the hole. This testing has opened my eyes to the advantages of getting it to 100- 125. I had 9 shots in that range today and was 1 under on those shots with only 1 missed green and a stupid 3 putt bogey from 29 feet - if you are putting everything out you'll find you are just as likely to 3 putt as 1 putt from 30 feet, at least I am, I suspect most of us are.

I think it's for it for me to push it a bit to get in that range or lay back to that range rather than getting closer to the green. Just give me a full wedge.

I will either get out Thursday or Friday afternoon to do some serious testing because this is a tough weekend and school starts next week so there won't be much time. After that I instead to hit the launch monitor.

I'm anxious to hear what Nic and WD are up to.

I'm also encouraging everyone to work on their short irons the work has left me brimming with confidence with the irons in my hand.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I love them.

Guess I'll be seeing these wedges in action next week on the course huh? Lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Guess I'll be seeing these wedges in action next week on the course huh? Lol

You betcha.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5