GolfSpy WD

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

Our Sponsors

Yea I can see myself possibly pulling the pitching wedge in favour of one of the scores as well as my 56* sand wedge but their highest loft is only 61* which makes it hard to find a replacement for my 64* lob wedge

Do you need the 64? It would seem that you could do so much more with the 60 or 61 and you could always open the blade. I had a 64 that I would bag for this one course that I played but I found I could replicate the same shot result with the SCOR 60.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Do you need the 64? It would seem that you could do so much more with the 60 or 61 and you could always open the blade. I had a 64 that I would bag for this one course that I played but I found I could replicate the same shot result with the SCOR 60.

The 64 is comething of a specialty club in my bag, I really only use it for serious flop shots but I do use it pretty much exclusively from greenside bunkers except for the occasional longer bunker shot where I use my 56. I certainly would'nt be past trying a 60 or 61 to see if it had the same feel and I could replicate the same shots with it.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

The 64 is comething of a specialty club in my bag, I really only use it for serious flop shots but I do use it pretty much exclusively from greenside bunkers except for the occasional longer bunker shot where I use my 56. I certainly would'nt be past trying a 60 or 61 to see if it had the same feel and I could replicate the same shots with it.

According to SCOR I should go 44,48,52,56 but I go 44,48,53,60 because I use that 60 for almost all of my sand shots - it's ridiculously easy to hit out of almost any sort of sand condition.  I will on rare occasion use the 53 for a longer shot.

You essentially have three bounces in one on those clubs, doesn't really matter the loft, if you open the clubs face a tad it cuts right through the sand like butter. 

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Went to the Par 3 course after work today and it was a blast.  I think that there were only two other groups on the course so I was able to hit plenty of shots.  Despite the Florida heat I loved being able to walk and get a feel for what's going on with these clubs.  I've also played this little course a number of times with my golf team so I could compare my new gamer irons and my SCOR short iron substitutes to how I might normally perform on many holes.

This little course is a 9 holer with the holes ranging from 94 to 187 yards from the back - I was able to play most of the holes from 100 to 120 by picking the proper spot on the tee.  I had considered hitting out the rough but it rained in the morning and the rough area wasn't mowed - I didn't want to hurt myself.

My results were very consistent with what I've seen so far - about 17 feet from the hole with the SCOR GW sub which blows its competitor out of the water or bag in this case - it also blows away the PGA tour average of 19'11" from that distance so I'm pretty stoked. 

While it's pretty close I continue to outperform the SCOR PW sub with my gamer.  I averaged 18'1" with the Wilson and 23'6" with the SCOR today.  Here's what I noticed about the difference - bare with me because I'm a preacher and like to set my stories up......

SCOR did Iron Byron testing.  The misshits that they tested were the high on the clubface ones that I'm sure many of us have experienced with our wedges.  You know, you get it high on the face and it goes nowhere, a weak pop up short of target.  That doesn't happen with a SCOR. 

But my PW has a loft that's so jacked that it is no longer a wedge - it's in between my Ping Eye 2 8/9 and certainly stronger than most PW's on the market.  By any definition its a short iron which means that for me the most common misshit is thin.  According to Taylor Made that is true of most golfers BTW.  My Wilson's perform admirably plus on thin hits.  They many fly lower and generally a little right but they stay in the air long enough to carry onto the green and they have enough spin to stop there most of the time.  I think I misshit the SCOR less but when I do it comes up short, not often of the green but of the pin and that's what's kicking its butt, I'll end up 30 feet away on one of those while still hitting my Wilson to 15 feet.  When I miss the Wilson it tends to be long left or thin but the pulls are getting further and further apart as I hit more and more shots.

I played the two longer par 3's with my 5 iron because I wanted to hit it.  I just dropped the ball on the tee ground about what I thought would be in the right spot, shot it and hit it.  On 9 I left it a little short in a real wet spot, certainly casual water but I decided to play it because of the question about chunking.  I hit the little pitch clean as clean can be and lipped out for birdie with it.  Also I made sure to pick some wet lies (not casual water but soft) for my test and I had no trouble with chunking it.  In fact I know that I chunked exactly one out of 80 shots and I can't recall which of the four wedges the chunk was with.

So my back is a little sore right now from all of those live shots but I'm very satisfied.  I think it's time for a beer. 

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Im impressed you guys can hit anything >60*, I cant ever hit the 60* consistently, let alone a 64

Im impressed you guys can hit anything >60*, I cant ever hit the 60* consistently, let alone a 64

It's like anything else, a matter of proper technique and practice. There does seem to be less margin for error once you get over 58 though. I know it's not the primary point of this thread but my SCOR 60 is very easy to hit full, part or otherwise. For part shots they have an extra long grip with grip down marks. The deal is that you go out with the clubs, hit a number of balls full swing, thre quarter swing and half swing at normal grip and the two grip down points and the record the distances. SCOR actually provides a little bag tag that you can use as a cheater for those distances on the course.

Honestly I've found I'm best with two swings, the full and the three quarters so I stick to those. I don't need the cheater because I can remember how far I hit it at each grip down point. I can cover anything from 72 to 47 with the 60 very comfortably.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I received my Scor 45 today and I am very antsy to start testing against my Speedblades PW (also 45 degrees).   To my great delight, it is exactly the same length and lie as my SB, although the Scor is 30 grams heavier, almost all of which is due to the shaft.  (I think the Scor's use 110 gr KBS Tour shafts, while the SB has an 85 gr TT Dynalite shaft.) 

My first impression is that these are quite handsome, classic looking clubs.  I like them and I'd be proud to display them in my bag.  At the same time, I must confess that I have never liked the look of my Speedblades even though I love their performance.  But I'm the kind of golfer who would hit a Hello Kitty club if it gave me a definitive advantage

Likewise, I was very happy to learn that Scor Genius shaft is a KBS Tour and their Scor grip is the same Lamkin extra long wedge grip that Taylormade uses.  I did not know this before and I was actually dreading some cheap-o "made for" shafts and grips on these clubs.  Instead they are about the best components you could wish for and what I am already used to playing.  Scor would be well served to tout this fact more in their promotional materials.

Today I'm just going to hit a bucket with both clubs side by side to get used to them.   I expect the Scor to go lower and shorter, but we'll see.   Tomorrow I'll hit them to real greens on our little-used exec course and see what's what.

Here's comparison pic of both

scor speedblade 45.jpg

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Since you aren't bound by the test as we are hit some chips with it. You will not believe the control.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Since you aren't bound by the test as we are hit some chips with it. You will not believe the control.

I may have to take a few swings with these tomorrow

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Revkev is right, I'm not bound by the test.  I bought this Scor 45 myself, it wasn't sent to me by the company.  I may or may not get a 41 and a 50 to test against my 9 and GW, but for now I'm just fiddling with the PW.   And I'll try a whole bunch of shots with it.  I may pull the shaft and stick in a high launch 85 gram, I dunno yet.

I went to range and hit a bucket.  The Scor was SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER in ball flight than the Speedblade.  So much so that it felt like an 8 or 9 iron ball flight to me.  Some might call this "penetrating", but they looked like punches to me.   I've always been a low ball hitter and with most clubs this has translated into a failure to get satisfactory backspin. So  I was a little worried, but on the range the Scor's shots did not look shorter than the SB and the balls didn't seem to be bouncing farther.   In fact, they seemed to duck and nestle on the 2 bounce.  So the backspin wasn't frightening

The Scor did seem straighter, easier to line up, and more consistent on the range.  That was encouraging.  However, it did not feel "soft"; it felt clicky and stiff faced to me.  I'm probably just getting too used to the smushy Speedblade trampolines, though.  The Scor felt the way my older clubs used to feel.   I can imagine that a full set would produce some hand-stinging 5 iron shots, which I don't miss at all with my GI Speedblade shovels.

Feeling pretty confident I could hit the club, I went to the course.   I meant to go to our exec, but it was full of foot golfers in the evening, so I went to the championship course, teed off with one ball, played it out. (Shooting a 35 with an eagle and one bogey.)  Whenever I got to the 135 yard mark from center green on my GPS, I dropped two ProV1x's and hit one with the Scor and one with the SB.   (135 is my normal PW range.)   I did this every hole for 9 and recorded how many greens were hit, which was closest to the pin, which was longest, and the nature of the bad misses.   I did NOT record the distances from the pin, I just eyeballed which was CTP and if they were pretty close, say one was 10' left and the other 9' right, I called it a tie.   No need to nitpick, when there was a CTP winner, it was a clear winner.

I realize that to be the slightest bit statistically significant, I'll have to repeat this same test at least 40 times, and in truth I'll only feel comfortable with my conclusions if I do it several hundred times, but here's the first nine holes and some preliminary thoughts.  

• The Speedblade hit 7 greens, the Scor hit 6. 
  • The SB was Closest to the pin 3 times, the Scor 2 times, and 4 were basically good ties. 
  • The SB was longest 5 times, the Scor twice, and 2 were ties.  
  • On the notable big misses, the Scor was short and rightish 3 times.   The SB hit one high toey dead duck into the water (its weakness) out of the rough and another rough shot came up a bit short and left.

BTW, I hit three of the 9 test holes out of the rough, two were thickish rough.  I felt that the Scor was much more stable and reliable on those rough shots.   I actually fear fluffy rough shots with my SB, but the Scor powered through that grass producing quite long shots (one might say fliers) while the SB had a hard time getting the ball home.

Preliminary impressions -   Although the Scor flighted low, I can't say that its backspin was any worse than the SB.  If anything, it checked up faster than the SB.   It did seem to dig deeper into the turf on most shots.   It hit baby fades as its normal ball flight, while the SB has a straight flight, even when pushed or pulled.   The Scor was quite easy to aim.   I got more comfortable with it as I went along, especially out of the rough.   But it did not feel as pleasant to hit as the SB's.   (I'm talking about its clicky, hand-stinging factor here.   But if it gets the ball closer to the hole, I'll definitely learn to love it.)    Since the Scor goes lower than my SB, I fought the urge to "help" it up, which is the wrong thing to do.   I need to hit down on it to get it up.

That's it for now.  I'll definitely try some longish chips with it as RevKev suggests, and some fairway bunker shots (where the SB's shine).   When I get another 40 or 50 good tests in with it, I'll post some updates.   Fortunately our courses are so un-busy out here, I can play alone most of the time and fiddle around to my hearts content.  I just walked 27 holes on Sunday in 3 hrs and 45 minutes, that's how empty the place was.   Every time I play, I should be able to test these clubs head to head.

BTW Mark that would be exactly SCORs argument. The miss you're describing is high on the club face and wedges loose distance on those shots where as SCORs remain stable. In stead of in the bunker or water or heavy rough short your on the green putting for birdie with the SOR eliminating the big miss.

It will be interesting to see how this test continues for you going further.

I will try to remember to bring my SCOR 55 with today MR. Theo. The ones I game are graphite, that older one is the KBS steel shaft. I know that they have several weight options when ordering either graphite or steel hence the numbered designations beside the genius names. Just add a zero so the 10's are 100 rams, 12s, 120, etc.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

BTW Mark that would be exactly SCORs argument. The miss you're describing is high on the club face and wedges loose distance on those shots where as SCORs remain stable. In stead of in the bunker or water or heavy rough short your on the green putting for birdie with the SOR eliminating the big miss.

It will be interesting to see how this test continues for you going further.

I will try to remember to bring my SCOR 55 with today MR. Theo. The ones I game are graphite, that older one is the KBS steel shaft. I know that they have several weight options when ordering either graphite or steel hence the numbered designations beside the genius names. Just add a zero so the 10's are 100 rams, 12s, 120, etc.

So mine is a 120 gram shaft.   Well that tells me where all the extra weight is and it also hints to me that the lower ball flight is directly attributable to the Genius 12/KBS Tour shaft.   I specifically opted for the TT Dynalite 85 shaft in my Speedblades because it launched higher.   I'll complete my testing with the current shaft, including lots of trouble shots and chips, then pull it and try the 85.

I think the Scor argument is a good one.  If you only test these clubs on a range or from neutral conditions, you're not seeing the whole realistic picture.   As I have increased my driver length of late, I see far more wedges to greens, but also more wedges from roughs.  If I get a fluffer from 8-9-PW range I start to quake, I'd rather be in a bunker.

But on the flip side of the coin, there are also lots of times when you have to hit short irons OVER obstacles.  The Scor's lower ball flight is not good for that.

Revkev is right, I'm not bound by the test.  I bought this Scor 45 myself, it wasn't sent to me by the company.  I may or may not get a 41 and a 50 to test against my 9 and GW, but for now I'm just fiddling with the PW.   And I'll try a whole bunch of shots with it.  I may pull the shaft and stick in a high launch 85 gram, I dunno yet.

I went to range and hit a bucket.  The Scor was SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER in ball flight than the Speedblade.  So much so that it felt like an 8 or 9 iron ball flight to me.  Some might call this "penetrating", but they looked like punches to me.   I've always been a low ball hitter and with most clubs this has translated into a failure to get satisfactory backspin. So  I was a little worried, but on the range the Scor's shots did not look shorter than the SB and the balls didn't seem to be bouncing farther.   In fact, they seemed to duck and nestle on the 2 bounce.  So the backspin wasn't frightening

The Scor did seem straighter, easier to line up, and more consistent on the range.  That was encouraging.  However, it did not feel "soft"; it felt clicky and stiff faced to me.  I'm probably just getting too used to the smushy Speedblade trampolines, though.  The Scor felt the way my older clubs used to feel.   I can imagine that a full set would produce some hand-stinging 5 iron shots, which I don't miss at all with my GI Speedblade shovels.

Feeling pretty confident I could hit the club, I went to the course.   I meant to go to our exec, but it was full of foot golfers in the evening, so I went to the championship course, teed off with one ball, played it out. (Shooting a 35 with an eagle and one bogey.)  Whenever I got to the 135 yard mark from center green on my GPS, I dropped two ProV1x's and hit one with the Scor and one with the SB.   (135 is my normal PW range.)   I did this every hole for 9 and recorded how many greens were hit, which was closest to the pin, which was longest, and the nature of the bad misses.   I did NOT record the distances from the pin, I just eyeballed which was CTP and if they were pretty close, say one was 10' left and the other 9' right, I called it a tie.   No need to nitpick, when there was a CTP winner, it was a clear winner.

I realize that to be the slightest bit statistically significant, I'll have to repeat this same test at least 40 times, and in truth I'll only feel comfortable with my conclusions if I do it several hundred times, but here's the first nine holes and some preliminary thoughts.  

• The Speedblade hit 7 greens, the Scor hit 6. 
  • The SB was Closest to the pin 3 times, the Scor 2 times, and 4 were basically good ties. 
  • The SB was longest 5 times, the Scor twice, and 2 were ties.  
  • On the notable big misses, the Scor was short and rightish 3 times.   The SB hit one high toey dead duck into the water (its weakness) out of the rough and another rough shot came up a bit short and left.

BTW, I hit three of the 9 test holes out of the rough, two were thickish rough.  I felt that the Scor was much more stable and reliable on those rough shots.   I actually fear fluffy rough shots with my SB, but the Scor powered through that grass producing quite long shots (one might say fliers) while the SB had a hard time getting the ball home.

Preliminary impressions -   Although the Scor flighted low, I can't say that its backspin was any worse than the SB.  If anything, it checked up faster than the SB.   It did seem to dig deeper into the turf on most shots.   It hit baby fades as its normal ball flight, while the SB has a straight flight, even when pushed or pulled.   The Scor was quite easy to aim.   I got more comfortable with it as I went along, especially out of the rough.   But it did not feel as pleasant to hit as the SB's.   (I'm talking about its clicky, hand-stinging factor here.   But if it gets the ball closer to the hole, I'll definitely learn to love it.)    Since the Scor goes lower than my SB, I fought the urge to "help" it up, which is the wrong thing to do.   I need to hit down on it to get it up.

That's it for now.  I'll definitely try some longish chips with it as RevKev suggests, and some fairway bunker shots (where the SB's shine).   When I get another 40 or 50 good tests in with it, I'll post some updates.   Fortunately our courses are so un-busy out here, I can play alone most of the time and fiddle around to my hearts content.  I just walked 27 holes on Sunday in 3 hrs and 45 minutes, that's how empty the place was.   Every time I play, I should be able to test these clubs head to head.

Nice write up!! 

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I hit the 55° Rev brought with him today and liked how it went through the turf, and they felt as good as my current wedges which is a plus

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I hit the 55° Rev brought with him today and liked how it went through the turf, and they felt as good as my current wedges which is a plus

When the 55 got back in my bag it said, "See I told you I was good for 110 yard shots." :)

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I clocked in another 9 of side by side tests this afternoon.  Running total for 18 holes is now:

• Greens hit -  Scor 11, Speedblades 13.
  • Closest to the Pin -   Scor 4 times, Speedblades 8 times, and 6 were essentially ties.
  • Longest -  Scor 5, Speedblade 7, 6 ties.
  • Nature of the bigger misses -  Score was severely right 3 times today.   Speedblade was quite short twice.

Observations -

• Once again the Scor did well on my three "rough" holes.  It hit all three greens.  Two times it was very long (fliers?).
  • Both days I have started out cold with the Scor and start out cursing its clicky, stiff face.  But both days I warmed up to it and started puring shots by about hole 4 or 5.
  • I think I can say that while the Scor flights lower, it has the same or better backspin than the Speedblade.  I still wish it went higher, though.
  • Neither club is producing jaw-droppingly close shots when it wins CTP.   So far I've hit a bunch to about 10 feet and the Scor hit one to about 5 today, but neither club has produced an oo-la-la shot yet.   At this point, the bigger deciding factor would be which club produces more bad shots.

One thing I've learned from this test is how close 20 feet is. 20 feet is very good on an approach shot for real. It's pretty easy for an accomplished golfer with a level lie in the fairway but in the context of a round where there are the factors of wind, lie, green firmness, yardage not perfect, etc. it's very good.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Mark, you may have said it already, but how do the distances compare with each club? What are the causes of your misses with the Scor? What are the causes of your misses with the SB? How do you like each when it comes to tee/fairway/rough/sand/flop/other shots?

Also, what prompted wanting to change out your PW? Just for fun? Was there something in particular you didn't like about it?

I'm very curious if your results change when you swap to the TT Dynalite shaft that you have in your PW. (KBS Tour S is 120g, so there's a huge difference in weight)

As for the results, they're very interesting. I actually value greens hit more than closer to the pin. The main reason for this is slight undulations in a green can drastically affect this result (i.e. the difference of a foot could cause the ball to roll all the way to the hole or even roll off the green). The other reason is if you average 135 yards with one and 137 yards with the other, that's a 6 foot difference, meaning unless you know your exact average for each club and laser the pin from that average, the results can become skewed in favor of one club or the other.

That said, the pin makes for a fantastic target and it's absolutely critical to aim at something. What is really interesting is the dispersion which measures big of an area you would cover with multiple shots with the same club. Assuming this area is small and once the golfer knows their exact average, then it'll translate to more shots closer to the pin.

If you find 'greens hit' to be too easy of a metric at your handicap, then pick a specific area of the green and aim for that. 

Thanks Mark, and keep up the good work!

WD I'm glad you brought this discussion here, we've been having it in a PM and I think it's a very good one to have. Personally I prefer proximity to the hole over greens hit. I'd rather have it in the back fringe 20 level feet away than a 30 foot downhill slider on the green.

But if I know my dispersion with a club(s) then it becomes a matter of alignment and of course the one with the tighter dispersion will be the better choice. For that reason I'm going to get a session or two in where I chart shots. Perhaps there will be a way for me to make a chart that shows the dispersion pattern SCOR vs. Wilson. That would be really cool to see.

I think I know what it will look like but I'm not saying until we all see it.

I still think you need to aim at a flag to perform this test properly. For Nic, Will and I it shouldn't be difficult as access to a par 3 courses was a requisite for testing. Just do the test on greens where the pin is in the middle of the green. I'm sure I can go out Sat morning, find 4 such holes and hit 10 wedges on each hole to chart and measure. If I can repeat that process after work some day next week I'll have 40 shots with each wedge which is a reasonable sample. If you know how far you hit each wedge than you can shoot the pin get the comfortable distance, hit your ten and then move on to the next flat green and repeat.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

One thing I've learned from this test is how close 20 feet is. 20 feet is very good on an approach shot for real. It's pretty easy for an accomplished golfer with a level lie in the fairway but in the context of a round where there are the factors of wind, lie, green firmness, yardage not perfect, etc. it's very good.

You are absolutely right, Rev.   A 10 to 20 footer on a real course is very good and that's why I chose to do my little test with only 2 balls per real hole, changing holes every time, so I didn't get into a mechanical groove like on a range.   It will take me a long time to get good data (another 36 holes at least), but I want a real test where I'm hitting real shots at real greens and can't get comfortable or in a zone with one club in one situation. 

What I do is hit a drive then I walk out to it.  If it is at 135, I drop another ball and hit to the green from there, one with the Scor one with the SB.   If not at 135, I go forward or back to 135-ish range, either in fairway, rough or sand and hit from there with two balls.   I aim for center green and am just trying to get the ball on the dance floor with the test balls, not pin seek.  (BTW, I've shot 35-37 with my real ball over this test, so my game is on and my iron shots are in good representative shape.)

My methodology is also why you'll see I have a lot of "ties" in my test.  I don't care if one ball is 15 feet long left and another is 12 feet short right.   Just get me in range of a makeable putt and I'm happy and I think it's basically a tie.   When one club "wins" a hole with me, it's by a big margin, not inches.

My "Distance" component is really meaningless.  I was just afraid at first that the Scor would be quite a bit shorter than the SB, thereby impacting my gaps.   As you can see, so far it isn't shorter and out of the rough it's longer.   That's good.

I know what you mean by charting a dispersion pattern.  Originally I wanted to print out and enlarge a Google Sat View of a few holes on my exec course and literally pin the exact spots of each ball until I had enough to constitute a valid test.  Then I'd just post the pics letting you decide which was best!   Ultimately, I decided not to do this because a) the friggin foot-golfers have so swamped our exec in the afternoons that I can't get on to leisurely chart a bunch of shots.   And b ) I don't want to get into a groove where shots 6 thru 10 are merely  "corrections" of shots 1 - 5.   I want to shake the dice after EVERY hole, giving myself fresh looks and problems with every shot.