GolfSpy WD

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

Our Sponsors

Mark, you may have said it already, but how do the distances compare with each club? What are the causes of your misses with the Scor? What are the causes of your misses with the SB? How do you like each when it comes to tee/fairway/rough/sand/flop/other shots?

Also, what prompted wanting to change out your PW? Just for fun? Was there something in particular you didn't like about it?

I'm very curious if your results change when you swap to the TT Dynalite shaft that you have in your PW. (KBS Tour S is 120g, so there's a huge difference in weight)

As for the results, they're very interesting. I actually value greens hit more than closer to the pin. The main reason for this is slight undulations in a green can drastically affect this result (i.e. the difference of a foot could cause the ball to roll all the way to the hole or even roll off the green). The other reason is if you average 135 yards with one and 137 yards with the other, that's a 6 foot difference, meaning unless you know your exact average for each club and laser the pin from that average, the results can become skewed in favor of one club or the other.

That said, the pin makes for a fantastic target and it's absolutely critical to aim at something. What is really interesting is the dispersion which measures big of an area you would cover with multiple shots with the same club. Assuming this area is small and once the golfer knows their exact average, then it'll translate to more shots closer to the pin.

If you find 'greens hit' to be too easy of a metric at your handicap, then pick a specific area of the green and aim for that. 

Thanks Mark, and keep up the good work!

You ask a lot of good questions, and to do them justice I'll answer them separately.  Bear in mind that at only 18 holes into my test, I have no conclusions yet, only impressions.

Distances -  As I said, I was afraid the Scor's would be shorter because the SB's are known to be so friggin long.   Not really the case so far.  The Scor's check up faster, except on their flier rough shots which are stunningly longer than the SB's.   But If I hit two equivalent shots to a good green with each club, I'm seeing the Scor will be 10-15 short and right, about 5 feet from its pitch mark and the SB will be 10-15 feet longish, either left or right, but about 10 feet from its pitch.   So which is a better shot?   I don't care either way.   If I'm at 135, I'd still pull either club with no desire yet to change my thinking distance-wise.

Nature of Misses -  The Scor tends to go right on a miss and have a baby fade when hit correctly.   I think this is just its nature and since it's forged and I can work it more, you'll see me correcting for it as the test progresses.   I'll remember to flip my hands closed more and it'll straighten out.   Yesterday, on the first four holes I missed the green right and went into a sand trap on three of them!  Not good.  Then I dialed in and it went straightish and pin high on most of the last 5.   This hints that I'm getting used to the Scor and should see improvement as I learn how to hit it.

The SB is more reliable but less workable.  It's a long club, so if I get between clubs and I try to ease up on it or baby it, it's a dead right push.   Since I'm testing from 135, I'm hitting full shots every time right in its comfort zone and it's not pushing or pulling.  The SB's real weakness is the fluffy rough lie,   If I don't thin these just right, I get dead ducks that go nowhere.  Yesterday I got lucky and caught them right so I hit greens with 2/3.

Chips and flops? - I only have the PW, so I'm not really trying any chips or flops with them.   I haven't really tested them with fairway bunkers shots yet either.  I'll have to find a bunker about 120 out that I can go to town in.   In noodling around with runner chips on the practice greens, I find the Scor heavy and stable, but I'd never use a PW for most chips or pitches, so I haven't made a good comparison.

Why contemplate a change? -  I jumped into this thread because Scor's premise caught my eye.  They said that for the scoring irons, even guys who play GI irons would do better with forged traditional clubs.   Well, I play GI irons even though I'm a low capper.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Speedblades 3 thru 7 iron.   I used to have the full set Speedblades GW, SW, and LW and thought the GW was okay, but I did not like the SW and LW.   I sold 'em and went back to my forged Japanese ATV's, which I also love.  So that left me with the SB 8, 9 and PW with which I was seeing more misses than I'd like out of these "scoring" clubs.   I found myself wishing, "gee maybe I should be playing a combo set like Justin Rose."  Well, you can't buy a Tour Preferred MC 8 9 and PW cheaply and even then I'd probably have to bend and re-shaft to get something that covered my gaps correctly.   Then I saw the Scor thread and said, "They make everything down to a 41, let's try that!"   So here I am.  If you sing a song that I have in mind, I'll listen.

Impact of shaft change?  -  We'll see, I'll probably do it.   The Speedblades are also offered with KBS tours and everyone I know who has tried them or chosen them has said they go much lower than the 85 gr Dynalites, but distance is about the same.   It's a good 35 gram difference.   I have a stockpile of SB spare shafts so I can change if I need to.  I won't think about it until this test is over.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I finally got on to our exec and logged another 30 holes of Scor vs Speedblade PW competition today.   Ran into another MGS user out there and we had a good old time discussing various blogs, clubs and the state of golf.  He let me hit a few with his first gen Nike Covert irons which are very good GI irons, BTW.   Super easy to hit.

Anyway, here's my updated running tally, 48 holes totaled so far

• Distance - I no longer chart which club is longest.   I'm fully convinced that the Scor is as long as the SB.  In fact, out of the rough it is longer.  It goes lower, but it has as much or more backspin.
  • Greens Hit -  Scor - 30, Speedblades - 29.
  • Closest to the Pin -  Scor - 18, Speedblades - 21, 9 were essentially ties.
  • Nature of Misses -  Today I didn't really "miss" any.   No cluster of shots went off line in a predictable or worrisome pattern.  Some were left, some were right, but overall, my clusters were much tighter than the last two days.

Observations - I hit nearly HALF of my holes out of medium to thick rough today.   The Scor is unquestionably the "safer" and more stable club out of the rough.  It has heft, a smaller footprint, and (dare I say it) more "power" out of the rough.   All other things being equal -- and they very nearly are -- this one factor would tip the balance in the Scor's favor.

I did not fade a single shot with the Scor today.   A testament to the fact that I am learning how to hit it better each time I take it for a spin.   I did thin a few, so I'm not completely confident with it, but I get more so each time.

You do feel more like a "big, swinging dick" when you hit a forged blade well.    But I'm not fooling myself.   I know that each club lower I go, the less chance I have of hitting a forged blade solidly.  I fear my mojo will run out completely right around the 7 iron.

Like my western partner I hit the Par 3 today but did a different test. I took a disabled friend who can handle the short course and could help record. He really appreciate an hour and a half of fresh air and I loved the company. We had a great time.

To the test. I drew a green on my bad and then separated it into quadrants. I only use the SCOR 44 shooting the distance to give a comfortable number on each hole. If the proper distance could be obtained on a tee, I hit from fairway length, if rough, then light rough. It's Florida, the course is flat so no uneven lies unless mad around the green by a bulldozer. There was almost no wind, it was humid and extremely wet from the two inches of rain that we had yesterday. BTW it has been raining since we finished our round so it's going to stay wet, probably until Halloween.

I played 3 balls with the SCOR 44 on holes 2-8, 21 shots. Only missed the green twice and only one of those shots was miss hit and tossed out of the test (a little chunky). I was surprised at the results. 14 shots where dead pin high along a line evenly divided between right and left, all within 27 feet of the hole. Of the six that weren't howl high 1 was long left, 1 short left and 4 short right the farthest being 34 feet (ironically that was in a group that I played at max distance, forced a bit and also I holed the putt.). I averaged just over 19' for the 20 btw.

I mentioned how wet it was because someone asked earlier. There is no issue with it being wet. The turf interaction on the SCOR is fine. I also hit it on a fairly high trajectory but where Mark has a 120 g KBS tour I have a 75 g graphite shaft in mine.

I will repeat this same test over the next week one more with the SCOR and twice with the Wilson wedge. I will then hit the launch monitor with all clubs to complete the test. Like Mark I have no desire to move away from the GI clubs with anything more than an 8 iron but frankly I'm seeing very little difference between the clubs in regards to forgiveness. I hit one low on the club face today that still got on the green, just lower trajectory.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

This question of "forgiveness" with these scoring clubs is an odd one. I haven't even given it a thought, to tell you the truth, I think it's a bit of a non-issue. I can honestly say that none of the shots that I've hit so far have been saved or really affected by more forgiveness on the face.

I've hit some bad shots with both, but they were my bad swings. I haven't hit a shot with the Scor that I think the SB would have saved. But I have hit more than a few shots from the rough that the Scor dug out where I think the SB couldn't have scooped it out so easily. Is that "forgiveness"? I don't think so. It's due to a smaller footprint and more mass higher on the face.

I confess that I have no idea what this "V-sole" does or how it affects shots. It doesn't seem to have high bounce. My 45 digs like a gopher.

This question of "forgiveness" with these scoring clubs is an odd one. I haven't even given it a thought, to tell you the truth, I think it's a bit of a non-issue. I can honestly say that none of the shots that I've hit so far have been saved or really affected by more forgiveness on the face.

I've hit some bad shots with both, but they were my bad swings. I haven't hit a shot with the Scor that I think the SB would have saved. But I have hit more than a few shots from the rough that the Scor dug out where I think the SB couldn't have scooped it out so easily. Is that "forgiveness"? I don't think so. It's due to a smaller footprint and more mass higher on the face.

I confess that I have no idea what this "V-sole" does or how it affects shots. It doesn't seem to have high bounce. My 45 digs like a gopher.

Open it a bit and you'll see that it has plenty of bounce. Also it's the bomb on those lies where it's in the rough around the green but it's kind of bare even though there's grass around it or when the grass is laying against you.

To your point on the weighting, that's SCOR's point and that's what they call more forgiveness.

I played today and bagged the SCOR because it was a fun round. I had 4 wedges. 12 feet right, 12 feet over the hole, 44 feet short right "!?$,!$& and 9 feet left. The one 12 feet over the hole was awesome. I drove it in the rough, had 204 out of snarly terrible rough with a water hazard between me and the hole. I couldn't have gotten it on the green with a large bucket and would have hit a small bucket into the water hazard trying. Instead I pitched out to 117, wedged to 12 feet, one putt, par.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Open it a bit and you'll see that it has plenty of bounce. Also it's the bomb on those lies where it's in the rough around the green but it's kind of bare even though there's grass around it or when the grass is laying against you.

To your point on the weighting, that's SCOR's point and that's what they call more forgiveness.

I played today and bagged the SCOR because it was a fun round. I had 4 wedges. 12 feet right, 12 feet over the hole, 44 feet short right "!?$,!$& and 9 feet left. The one 12 feet over the hole was awesome. I drove it in the rough, had 204 out of snarly terrible rough with a water hazard between me and the hole. I couldn't have gotten it on the green with a large bucket and would have hit a small bucket into the water hazard trying. Instead I pitched out to 117, wedged to 12 feet, one putt, par.

Well, I agree it's going to have more bounce when opened, but if I do that it'll only go 125 to the right instead of 135 on a straight full shot, and then I'd have to compare a 45 Scor to a 50 forged ATV, because it could not match the Speedblade PW's length.  

And since I only have the 45 PW I'm not going to try it on chips where I'd normally use my 55.  However, I'm convinced a little heavy-headed Scor 55, if I had one, would do just fine on such chips.

The Scor is a digger on normal full shots, which tells me I've got to adjust my swing a bit.   My SB's are pretty bouncy, and they have trained me to thump the turf with them because they don't dig.  Using this same swing with the Scor produces a Battle-of-the-Somme-like trench.   But bear in mind that these same attributes (small head and heavy mass in center face) are what enable it to dig balls out of the rough so well.

I agree completely with the Scor's ability to gouge balls out of the rough, but I can't bring myself to call that ability "forgiveness".   It is simply a combination of attributes that makes it more suited for a certain type of shot.  In the same vein, I have an old Alien wedge in the closet.  Its convex scoop sole makes it idiot-proof for fluffy sand lies that must go 10 to 20 yards, but it is nearly useless for any other shots or from crusty sand.   The Alien isn't "forgiving" out of fluffy sand, it's just well suited for that shot.

I played another 9 today with both wedges.  The SB had the upper hand today, but the Scor once again hit both greens when I shot from the rough.

My running totals for 57 holes are now.

Greens Hit - Scor 35, Speedblades - 37

Closest to the Pin - Scor 21, SB - 26, 10 ties

Nature of Misses -  I'm seeing that when I miss one right or left, I almost always miss the second shot with the other club to the same place.   This is telling me that my aim (or lack thereof) is at fault, not the club or the swing. On the seventh hole I clip-punched an ugly ball with the SB that miraculously skipped and rolled to 5 feet.  Next shot a skulled a Scor that was even uglier to 3 feet.   Crazy game.

Observations - The Scor's head is really very small.  With my SB's I found that I had to force myself to crowd the ball to find the sweet spot nearer the heel.  When I tried this with the Scor, shank-city!

I love the nature of misses category and conclusion that you draw. 

I wonder how much the golf architect takes into account perception when designing his greens and tee shots.  I played yesterday with three other guys who are adequate golfers and know their game so they are consistent.  I'm swinging the club pretty well right now and am very consistent.  It was remarkable to me that on the holes where we all hit the fairway our approaches went to the same side of the green (or in some cases missed to the same side.) 

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Okay so yesterday I had the SCOR GW and the Wilson PW in play in a competitive situation. The first 9 was league play the second 9 and 18 a little money game that is held between the A and B flight players. I hit 4 shots with each club during the round and averaged 16 feet from the hole with each club even thou I missed two greens.

One of those misses was in the fringe hole high left 15 feet, great look for birdie and I missed the putt. The other was 25 feet hole high left in some thickish rough. Hit a great shot with my SCOR 60 and saved par. Both misses were with the Wilson, my miss with those short irons tends towards a pull. Also I had a hanging lie for both misses and should have legislated for the pull. I also hit one PWS to 3 feet on a par five approach. Sunk that putt for my only birdie of the day. Only one of my wedges was short of hole high BTW so it wasn't a good test of forgiveness. I flushed all of them and the 16 ft on 8 shots is a testimony to how well they were hit.

I still haven't decided on another outside round at the Par 3 or simply a LM. Session on Friday. I feel as if I have enough data to wrap things up here shortly.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I'm getting closer to a conclusion, but I still want more data.  The reason is that I'm only now learning how to hit the Scor better.   In my last post you'll see that I mentioned the Scor was a digger and that I would have change the way I thumped it.  Well, today I did change.  I stopped the thumping (which I still prefer to do with the Speedblade) and the Scor kicked butt.

Running total after 69 head to head holes:

Greens Hit - Scor - 46, Speedblade - 47

Closest to the Pin -  Scor - 28, Speedblade - 29, 12 ties

Nature of the Misses -  The Scor hit a few lowish bullets, otherwise much improved shots.  The SB seemed harder to aim today.

Observations - All holes today were fairway or first cut rough holes.   The Scor normally is the champ from heavy rough, but it gained ground with only fairway shots today.   This is directly due to my learning to hit the club better.   The Scor is also going a bit higher and it no longer fades.  

Anyone who purports to tell you anything about any club or shaft after only a dozen or so launch monitor swings is speaking NONSENSE.   It takes a good long while just to get used to how a club reacts and to alter your mechanics to deliver a swing well suited to the club.

To that last statement beyond a doubt!  Granted Rory now has more time to work on his game but he is exhibit A - a player like him and it took time to get used to new equipment that could be tweaked until it suited him perfectly how much more so for us.  That's why I've stayed away from the launch monitor and went to the range twice before beginning the test.  Also I'm familiar with the SCOR brand since I've been bagging SCORs for nearly two years.  When I first got them it was late summer in Florida and the courses were very wet.  I had lots of digging issues until I discovered that if you let these babies do the work the sole does it's job, if it needs digging, it will dig, if it needs clipping, it will clip.  It's pretty magical really.

Mark I'm curious about those low bullets, how well do they bite?  That's my typical short iron miss, I tend to get a bit too shallow and thin it but I'm finding that both the GI Wilson and the SCOR still stop pretty quickly when thinned a bit so that I get away with it.  You?

Also for those who were concerned about those initial low ball flight questions I got paired with a guy whom I play with occasionally in league Tuesday evening.  We haven't played together since I began the test.  He was blown away by the trajectory, stability, accuracy and stopability of the SCORs.  We had a classic Gulf Coast sort of day, sea breeze just starting as we tee'd off, the direction turned twice during our round and then the wind almost died for the last two or three holes.  It's so much easier to control the trajectory of the SCOR's that I'm seriously considering bagging the PW even though I'll hit more shots closer to the pin with the Wilson - it also gets impacted by the breeze more than the SCOR does. 

I've yet to hit any ball other than the Nike RZN Red with these clubs so that my test results remain consistent.  That reminds me I wanted to try a tour ball - I'll have to do that on Friday.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Anyone who purports to tell you anything about any club or shaft after only a dozen or so launch monitor swings is speaking NONSENSE.   It takes a good long while just to get used to how a club reacts and to alter your mechanics to deliver a swing well suited to the club.

This is exactly why these tests run for so long :)

Great feedback Mark!

This is exactly why these tests run for so long :)

Great feedback Mark!

Totally agree, Mark you've been a great addition to the group - that's the beauty of doing this as a community.  Also I think your comment about the launch monitor is important when being fit and buying clubs.  You really need a couple of sessions to make that decision.  While our swings are our swings they sometimes get off and if you get fit when that swing is off..........

I like to try and then go back and try again.  I would have bought an SLDR 10.5 if I had gone for it at the first fitting.  After tryin the 10.5 up one verses the 12.0 set to fade side by side at another demo day a few weeks later I realized that the 12.0 was the better fit.  I'm still a little up in the air with the shaft but have yet to find a shaft that outdoes the stock one - seriously - Statistically I've hit 82 percent of my fairways with the driver over the past 5 rounds and very few of those shots have been misshit so that's at maximum distance for me albeit in the 235 range.  I would like to find a shaft that gives me some more yardage but I'm getting a lot out of the driver right now and really can't wait until it dries out again in the winter to see about the run out.  It wasn't overly wet at TPC Sawgrass and I hit a couple right around 250 there - that's the last time I played in conditions that might be called "dry".

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

As to the low bullets- the Scor produces more dramatic mishits than the Speedblade, but I attribute those infrequent uglies to my getting used to the club. All Scor shots have more spin on them than the SB. As far as controlling the trajectory, don't think I'll ever be able to get them to go as high as the SB's, but I am finding ways to gel them up somewhat. The change of shafts might take care of it completely.

Here's my beef with indoor LM testing. It's always too short and too "foreign". It takes me a good half hour to get set up because I have to check how the store employees have futzed it up with "special" inputs. (It's a GC2 with the computer sim.) I don't like hitting off a mat indoors. I don't like the lighting and sense of confinement. And since the GC2 can only tell you ball speed, spin and launch angle, with other measurements being calculated, I find it only useful for comparisons against a well known benchmark. It is good for comparing the relative merits of shafts, but only after many repetitions that take up an enormous amount of launch monitor time.

Unless you own one, you can't afford to use it enough to make proper decisions with it.

I really like how this testing is going.  Great to see this wedge being put through it's paces.  Personally, I would like to see more club testing like this.  

I am looking forward to the summary pages with your conclusions.  I have played my SCOR 54 and 58 wedges for about a year and like them a lot.  So far, you guys are pushing me to add a few more!

As for the thinned shots; the SCOR works pretty well.  I have one particular hole at the course where I have perfected (well, sort of) a very low 58 wedge shot.  It's a short par 4 that can be driven, but depending on the wind, most likely I will have a 20-30 yard second shot.  I would sometimes like to play the hole with an iron off the tee, but the green is guarded on both sides by trees that many years ago were fine, but today have grown together at the top.  A high wedge shot from the fairway will be knocked down, so it's best to drive it as far as you can.  The problem is that the green is not big; there is rough short so could mean not getting on if you land it short.  Can't hit a high shot to stop the ball because of the trees, and a medium wedge may not have enough spin to keep the ball from going off the back.  So, after much practice with the SCOR 58, I can now hit a low spinning shot that checks up nicely.  Nice weapon to have in the bag!

Aging sucks...  Are you tough enough to get old?

After 78 holes, my running total stands at:

Greens Hit: Scor - 54, Speedblades - 54.

Closest to the Pin: Scor - 35, Speedblades - 30, 13 ties.

Observations - the new "smooth" swing with the Scor worked wonders again today. It hit the green on all three attempts from heavy rough.  Now that I have found the way it likes to be hit, it is rapidly gaining ground.

You'll note that it only took me about 50 holes to find the Scor's groove. 50 holes! That's like 10 normal rounds of golf. If I had made my conclusion early, the Scor would have certainly lost. Now it has caught up and is starting to extend its lead.

After 78 holes, my running total stands at:

Greens Hit: Scor - 54, Speedblades - 54.

Closest to the Pin: Scor - 35, Speedblades - 30, 13 ties.

Observations - the new "smooth" swing with the Scor worked wonders again today. It hit the green on all three attempts from heavy rough. Now that I have found the way it likes to be hit, it is rapidly gaining ground.

You'll note that it only took me about 50 holes to find the Scor's groove. 50 holes! That's like 10 normal rounds of golf. If I had made my conclusion early, the Scor would have certainly lost. Now it has caught up and is starting to extend its lead.

Great job on the results! Very useful!

Another great SCOR feature that we haven't touched on are the grips with the little marks on them. They work great in Kenny's scenario. I don't know his specifics but mine here might cause a 3 wood off the tee to 50 yards which is a 3/4 60 at the 1st hole, flies low, hops once, stops. I'd cover 285 or so with that combo. If the hole is longer it could be the same scenario with my 53 at the second dot, 300. 48 at 75, 315. It is very easy to control distances and manage a short game with these shots. Need the same 315 high? Hit the full 60. Have an opening in front of the pin and little rough hit the 44 3/4 slower tempo.

Have a longer bunker shot and need a runner, weight forward, 48, first hole, square face 3/4 swing and on and on it goes like playing a musical instrument.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Last on course day for the so called "official" part of this test although frankly I couldn't be happier with how this has turned out. It has become a true community forum with another MGSer joining in on his own dime. That should totally get SCOR stoked.

I will go for an LM session after work on Monday or if not then perhaps during lunch weds. This has been a crazy week and the weekend will be crazier, 12 hours tomorrow, 10 hours Sunday including 2 services and a funeral.

I think LM will be important as it will confirm or deny what my eyes are telling me. I have over 60 recorded shots with each PW BTW and 40 with the SCOR GW, perhaps 25 with the Wilson GW which is now in a closet next to the 5 iron.

I have a set of wedge numbers to add in (top desk drawer at work.). Right now the SCOR is slightly ahead (it's really come on of late) but those numbers will make the two conus within inches of each other somewhere between 19 and 20 feet from the hole on average.

Since charting the quadrants of where my shots finished an interesting pattern has emerged. Bot the SCOR GW and PW have equal numbers of shots finishing in each quadrant. Not so with the Wilson that tends to be either long left or short right.

Here's what I think the deal is there. On the course with only one shot the Wilson does well because I'm very focused and better at allowing for the wind. In these testing sessions I'm trying to hit shots in a variety of directions with each club. The Wilson launches higher and therefore is impacted by the wind more.

The SCOR is a brute that just holds it's line. Therefore the ball goes where it is aimed and that puts an equal number of shots, short, long, left, right, it goes where I'm aiming it and is not effected as much by the wind. To say it's low is inaccurate for me. Mark has a heavier shaft in his. I have a 75 gram graphite with a 65 gram graphite in the Wilson.

Beyond a doubt I can control the SCOR better than the Wilson. I think the Wilson is more forgiving in the traditional sense of the word but these are wedges, I'm a low handicapper whose strength is his short game, greater forgiveness in a wedge that way may hurt me more than help. I like to be able to control the trajectory, to play 3/4 shots all the things SCOR stands for. I have little doubt that I will bag the SCOR wedge over the Wilson assuming the LM confirms what I'm seeing.

BTW I'm also seriously considering some test drives with the rocket baled backups because they have those aerotech's in them. I think I might be able to control them a bit more. We'll see. I'm playing Copperhead next weekend.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I agree with Rev's observations about the aiming of the Scor's. They seem easier to aim.

I'm quite used to the Lamkin extra long wedge grips since Taylormade uses the same grips on its wedges. They are very nice and allow you to grip up or down for a variety of shots.

As I evaluate the Scor's against my Speedblades, I try to keep in mind that I've been playing my gamers for a year and I should have a good handle on all their tricks. So they start out with an inherent advantage that needs consideration, or counter-weighting in the test.

After 96 holes, my tally now stands at:

Greens Hit- Scor 67, Speedblade 68.

Closest to the pin- Scor -39, Speedblade-39, 18 ties.

I think I'm done with my testing because as you can see they are so close to equal that it just doesn't make sense to go further. Neither club is going to pull away at this point.

So I can say the Scor 45 is every bit as good as my set PW, even if it is not substantially better. But in one respect it is substantially better - out of the rough. Out of the rough, it's not even close. The deeper the rough the more advantage the Scor has. I picked one super gnarly rough shot today. Ball was completely buried. Speedblade limped out about 85 yards to the right, but the Scor powered a dead straight shot about 10 feet from the pin. If I switch to the Scor's it will be solely because of the advantage from the rough.

I have a 52° coming that I'll bend to 50 and test against my superb GW. That will be a harder test.