TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland launcher DST tour

Guest Andrew Bush

• Guests
Guest Andrew Bush

I tested a Launcher DST Cleveland Tour Driver 9.5 with a mitsubishi whiteboard. With this newest version the main thing is the whole club being lighter from the shaft and grip. What has kinda happened they are makin the clubs now so hot that with the limits put on them they have to come up with somehow to make the indian shoot his arrow quicker, clubhead speed increasing.

I currently have a launcher from 2009, 9.0, with a red fit on shaft stock and usually hit a high balloon type of shot with little no roll. When i was on a monitor my current driver performed the same way. High ballooned fade no roll. My swing speed was around 97-100, with high spin like 4500-5500 and ok launch. The carry was 278-287 ON GOOD SWINGS with 2-5 yards roll.

The new DSt Tour Launcher suprising enough it did increase swing speed, nothign below 100 and had a 110 on full rip but average swing 100-103. Spin went way down to 2800-3000, a few ballooned up to 4000 but bad swings. laucnh went down and the ball was rolling 10-15 yard, on a simulator. Average carry was around the same 285-292 with total of 297-310.

Very impressed with what i saw, i used the same ball for all swings a nike one platinum 08 version. retail 299.00 with whiteboard for cleveland i think but if you were going to put that shaft new in be around the same price of club. Im left handed and had to wait 1 month to try this club finally but so far what i seen i liked and the shaft option being the same as the others offered a big thing in my mind and wallet!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, the DST launcher comes with a Made for Cleveland Whiteboard, not the real thing. However, that driver is one of the lowest spinning heads out right now. You should also try the new Cally stuff. Diablo Edge Tour, FT-IZ, FT-Tour, and perhaps the Adams 9015D.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've been playing golf for 18 years, played everything from Titleist 976D, Callaway Big Bertha series, and TaylorMade Burner drivers, went to Cleveland Launcher 460 a few years ago up until this year, when the DST came out. This is by far the longest driver I've ever played. I play an 8.5 with a Miyazaki 61X Black and the RPM rate is so ridiculously low. I just love the traditional look at address, the sound isn't baseball bat like or overbearingly loud, and it's so lightweight, I have gained 7 MPH in my swing speed. It's so money. I challenge anyone to test the DST against their own driver and not see any improvement in their swing speed, distance, or spin rate. One or all three will be improved with this driver.

All these positive reviews are really making me want to go test this. When I first heard about this I wrote it off as being a bit silly, kind of like TM's "Superfast" technology where putting a lighter grip on the club makes it superfast (and I'm a TM driver guy). Now I'm going to have to go give the DST a run against my R9.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I've only taken a few swings with the DST. My neighbor owns the club and with his oversized Decade MultiCompound grip on the club, the Swing Weight dropped all the way to C8. I didn't really have a feel for the head through the zone. That said, even though the shaft was lighter than I should probably play, and the head had more loft than I generally play, spin rates were lower than I would expect and the launch angle wasn't too far out of whack. Distance seemed about right, and dispersion was reasonably tight (again, based on only a handful of swings). I'm definitely looking forward to testing the DST out under a config closer to its listed Swing Weight.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think the drivers at 460 are just to much for any golfer that can swing a club half way. I use to have a stellhead 3 big bertha and hti it straighter not farther but closer to fairway because of the smaller head. when u get a watermelon on a stick u swing so hard thinking how can i miss this whether sub consicously or not we do it to a degree so the tour version with the smaller head and slightly pen face is great going to take the demo out on the course this week will update with pics and real course data, well my own thoughts on the course i guess,

with what everyone is sayign about the swng speed absolutley true, old launcher was 2-5 mph slower than the new dst launcher and it does bomb

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

hit out onthe course today alot lower launch more roll and more fairways pullin the

trigger on this one anyoneneed a launcher from 09 left handed lol

hit out onthe course today alot lower launch more roll and more fairways pullin the

trigger on this one anyoneneed a launcher from 09 left handed lol

Congratulations on the new toy. I know it will continue to work out. DST is one of the really really good drivers out there this year.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

We invite EVERYONE to test the new Launcher DST driver and take the Launcher Ultralite Challenge to compare it to your current driver. The challenge is simple: Hit 3 shots with your own driver (or any competitor's driver) and then hit 3 shots with the Launcher DST. Take the best shot of each and we're confident you will see ballspeed, swing speed, and distance gains with our club. Most players see 1.5 - 4 MPH increases in ballspeed with the Launcher DST, which typically translates to 3-8 yards of extra distance… sometimes it's much more. So take the Launcher Ultralite Challenge today and find out what the speed of lite can do for you. Lots and lots of demo days, hopefully there's one near you.

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_demo_days.html

• SPY VIP

I will give it a try today and report back. One of the things that I like about my Nike 5000 though is that the head's presence is felt through out the swing. At least in my mind it is. This seems to help my timing a bunch. Far more flush contact with this driver than any other which is why it is still in the bag.

3-5 mph increase in swing speed is no joke though. Although that would push me into a 330S from the 330RX.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'd be interested in putting it up against against my Nike Str8-Fit and see where the chips fall.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The DST Tour is one of the really good unheralded drivers this year. It sort of gets lost in the mix if SuperTri, SuperBurner, VR, Diablo, ect. I love this driver. I would like to see Cleveland get more aggressive with driver and iron fitting possibilities. An interchangeable head and shaft cart would do wonders.

Well i ordered it today so ill have my gamer soon, my last one for a least 2 years

But man im hitting around the fairway at worse, and hitting it on them more takin out the big miss, which is left moon slicer, and hitin a few to quite a bit more yards farther also with it.

The tour head is what I got 430 cc with 2 degree open face and 9 degree whiteboard stiff so its a good buy in mind with that shaft, even though it is made for cleveland whiteboard and tour head com on

The DST Tour is one of the really good unheralded drivers this year. It sort of gets lost in the mix if SuperTri, SuperBurner, VR, Diablo, ect. I love this driver. I would like to see Cleveland get more aggressive with driver and iron fitting possibilities. An interchangeable head and shaft cart would do wonders.

This is very true, they don't seem to be pushing it very much. But, then again, Cleveland always seems to get lost in the shuffle. Its too bad, they have some great products.

A2G will be getting one of these bad boys to demo soon. We'll post a review on the site and in the review section on MGS. Stay tuned.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

A2G will be getting one of these bad boys to demo soon. We'll post a review on the site and in the review section on MGS. Stay tuned.

I can't wait to read your review...

• 4 months later...

I can't wait to read your review...

Just to add a little to this discussion - I picked up the Launcher DST Tour 9.5 degree about a week ago with the stiff Whiteboard shaft. I had been swapping between the Wilson DD6 10.5 degree and PD6 8.5 degree both with the NVS stiff depending on the wind.

I honestly cannot see any improvement in the distance I get. If anything, I'm slightly shorter. My natural shot is a draw which can sometimes become a hook if I get too excited, but with the DST I'm battling a fade which crops up more often than I'd like. I really have to focus on rolling over the ball to get a straight one. If I hit a natural swing then the fade slides in.

On the plus side, I do feel that the shaft has a pulse - it is alive and responsive. I can feel a bit of give in the shaft as I drive it through the ball. I like that feeling and I haven't had that since the days of the old firestick shafts.

I expect that my issue is with the 2 degree open face - I have tried to close it in my palms but when I go on autopilot it is one of those things that isn't ingrained and so gets forgotten - slice!!!

So, in essence, I'm glad that I paid 80 pounds for it from an online retailer than 180 in my proshop. Looks like eBay will be getting it soon as I save up for a Titleist 909.

Archived