Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

POLL - New Product Release Excitement Levels

GolfSpy_X

New Product Release Cycle Excitement Levels  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Compared to 3 years ago would you say you are more or less excited about new product releases?

• SPY VIP

With changes in product life cycles over the past few years we are interested in gauging your level of excitement compared to 3 years ago.  

Vote in the poll and let us know if you are more or less excited now vs. 3 years ago when a new product is released.

PLEASE VOTE.

#TruthDigest

That's a tough one, I voted more just because I'm more into the gear than I was 3 years ago.

However my level of excitement is directly proportional to my level of contentedness with my current bag setup :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Too much new stuff. Multiple releases of similar product within months of each other.  I went into a golf store yesterday.  They said stuff doesn't sell much until you start really dropping prices. Of course not. Some people have to have the latest everything, but that's not the majority.  Wouldn't want to be an equipment manufacturer today.  

I voted less.  Even though I am still excited about new gear, after enough gear chasing you remember what happens when the honeymoon wears off and its just another club thats getting older as each day goes by.  

The head cover gets dirty, you snap it forcefully a handful of times in disgust at your bag and it gets dinged, you hit out of a trap.  I window shop a lot more than I used to thats for sure.

That's a tough one, I voted more just because I'm more into the gear than I was 3 years ago.

However my level of excitement is directly proportional to my level of contentedness with my current bag setup :)

Same reason why I chose more

I had to vote more because 3 years ago I was a young 11 year old who really did not pay attention that much to the new releases.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I am more excited because I now realize how much a new/different piece of equipment can help my game. For years I played what I had because I didn't think things could really be any better. Boy was I completely wrong.

All advances aside, having the right equipment has been a huge plus for my game.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Ditto here, as well.  Mid-season releases don't do much for me, but the ears perk up late fall and into the winter when the clubs are sitting idle...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This was a hard one to vote because this is a Titleist and Ping and Mizuno release year.  All these others have something coming out several times a year and other that the Low Forward CG, I don't think there is much difference. 

So if I pretend that the question was two years ago, when the 913's and G25's and MP4's MPH4's were released, than no not more excited.

But three years ago they released the R11S, the Razr something, X something else, Amp diddle, an R in another color, and the VR pro. and Titleist released a set of irons that are exactly like the last 4 releases but have "better turf interaction and a different number on them vs the 915's, G30's, MP5's I am much more excited about this year.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Ditto here, as well.  Mid-season releases don't do much for me, but the ears perk up late fall and into the winter when the clubs are sitting idle...

Idle hands may be the devil's workshop, but idle clubs are the club ho's devil

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I voted less.

I am a former professional club fitter and I used to stay up on all the newest equipment releases in order to best meet the needs of those who had a desire to be custom fit for their golf equipment. But over the past few years I have become very disillusioned with the golf equipment industry. It seems like all of the major equipment manufacturers are just trying to keep pace with Taylormade and their sales model. All of theses companies are cycling through so much product per year, it is a little overwhelming for me and has become less of interest for me. 

Nowadays, all of these small niche companies popping up that do one thing vey well is what interests me the most. 

post-54443-0-07055700-1406684950.jpg

I'm less excited.  I used to like the lead up to see what was next.  Now with the quicker product cycles and the proliferation of 'leaks', it seems there is always something coming out soon.

The PGA Show is something I used to really follow, but now weve heard about most of the big releases months or weeks before demo day.

Id say more because now I can actually afford to buy new clubs.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I voted "don't care" because there was no "ABOUT THE SAME" option. 

I'm trying out new stuff all the time so the excitement level is no more or no less than previous years.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I was tempted to vote less or don't care because both seem like the chic answer.  However I know so much more about golf equipment and manufacturers now than I did three years ago that I'd be lying.  I am interested.  I may not purchase any new equipment, but I am interested.  Thanks MGS!

On this same note I was fascinated in watching a bit of Golf's memorable rounds last evening.  I can't quite remember the May/Woods PGA but it had to be in the late 90's because I was still in Indiana.  So let's say it was 15 years ago.  Think of the equipment changes in that short span and their impact on the game.  I think it was pre Pro VI.  Driver heads were under 250 cc's and iron lofts were around a club and a half shorter.  There weren't any hybrids.

They were seriously backing balls up on the greens, very few of the drives were 300, guys were hitting 3 iron on a 210 yard par 3.  Bob May had a Ping i3 hat on - the Eye 2's came out in the mid-80's and the only irons that I remember inbetween were the Zings. 

Interesting stuff and nice poll.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Idle hands may be the devil's workshop, but idle clubs are the club ho's devil

:lol:  :lol:

I need help 'cause the devil made me do it!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I chose don't care. I just feel like there hasn't been a technology leap that puts past technology leaps to shame. Basically yes, equipment is getting better, but seemingly at the same rate. Still waiting for the next big thing.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I voted more, because as soon as the new ones come out, the deals on the "last model" begin, and the values are there!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Definitely less for me.

1) I'm a lot more satisfied with my current set-up. The only thing I would change might be the wedges.

2) The hype and 3 month product cycles is getting kind of annoying.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived