First Look – Mizuno 2015 MP-Series Lineup

GolfSpy MBP

Tried the MP-H5 with PX 5.5, absolutely gorgeous. Trying to work my way into a set hehe.

of course you are.......   hahahahahaha

• Like 2

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 3 weeks later...

of course you are.......   hahahahahaha

And wouldn't you know it... Thanks for the backup in pestering Global on Twitter. For those not in the know, I'd been tweeting GG to run another +% bonus on trade ins. They just started a 150% event. Traded in four sets of irons, a driver, and a fairway (all stuff sitting in a closet or bag that weren't getting played). The results:

MP-H5 4-PW with Project X 5.5 +.25" (have black/blue NDMCs waiting for these)

MP-T5 51* with Project X 5.5 and black/blue NDMC

MP-T5 56* with DG Spinner and black/blue NDMC

Pretty stoked about these. I love my Vrs Forged 4-AW right now with the same shafts, but hitting the H5s a few times at demo events really made me drool over them.

• Like 4

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

I've never hit a Mizuno club.   Yet I give them the highest marks for engineering, quality, and performance.  They've shaped my perception, yet never tempted me to buy a club.   How can that be?   I think it's because I don't think I can buy my way to a better game with Mizuno.  I think Mizzy is for players who already have games.

The illusion that we can buy our way to a better game is what sells clubs.  If I had the skill to hit a forged blade, I'd run straight to them.   But as a Joe Hacker, I want to buy my 17 yards more, not earn it.  

If my perception is any indication of how they are perceived in the market at large, any step that Mizuno can take via bold colors or more splashy tech will help with this false perception and sell more clubs.

Dude, you are a hcp 2 and you don't have game???

So what should the rest of us do? :D

AMEN!!!!

• Like 2

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Can anyone compare the MP-15 to the MP-59's yet? I had a gander at the local store and the MP-15's look nice, but I'm not seeing enough difference considering my 59's are still like new. Gonna put some steelfibers in them and call it good unless someone really twists my arm. Interested how the new cavity damper/billet feels compared to the 59's.

From what little I have compared the two, I gather the mp15 are more forgiving and launch a little higher. I prefer the look of the mp59 but neither are terrible looking. I don't know what you are looking for but the 59's were my preferred of the two. More of a forgiving players club if you will.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

From what little I have compared the two, I gather the mp15 are more forgiving and launch a little higher. I prefer the look of the mp59 but neither are terrible looking. I don't know what you are looking for but the 59's were my preferred of the two. More of a forgiving players club if you will.

I have the 59's already. The shafts in them currently are no longer an option for me, so looking to do a re-shaft on them. But, if the 15's were a patent improvement in forgiveness and maybe the cavity insert feels a little better, I may have considered just trading them in and having the a set of the 15's built. After eying up the 15's in the local big box, I didn't see a huge difference from my 59's, so I just wanted some feedback on these areas I mentioned if someone had a chance to hit both. Sounds like your experience kinda backed my impressions.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I have the 59's already. The shafts in them currently are no longer an option for me, so looking to do a re-shaft on them. But, if the 15's were a patent improvement in forgiveness and maybe the cavity insert feels a little better, I may have considered just trading them in and having the a set of the 15's built. After eying up the 15's in the local big box, I didn't see a huge difference from my 59's, so I just wanted some feedback on these areas I mentioned if someone had a chance to hit both. Sounds like your experience kinda backed my impressions.

Yea if their were improvements then they were very blah ones for lack of a better term. I personally like the 59s

• Like 1

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

I like it when I have a good product in hand already and don't have to upgrade. Thanks.

• Like 2

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I like it when I have a good product in hand already and don't have to upgrade. Thanks.

I can say this about both iron sets I own now. I have loved the VRs Forged since I installed the PX 5.5. I just stood at address (can't sleep) with each of the MP-H5 that I ordered and am already itching to get them on the range/course.

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

• 3 weeks later...

FROM THE BLOG

First Look – Mizuno 2015 MP-Series Lineup

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mizuno-mp-15-h5-irons-t5-wedge-and-jpx850-driver/

Mizuno looks to be welcoming 2015 with some bold color and irons that scream to be bagged. 

What do you think of the blue & bold? Too non-traditional for Mizzy or just a sign of the times?

2-drivers-small.jpg

Bag-Below.jpg

LDM6228.jpg

While working the Texas Valero Open a few weeks ago I got a chance to talk with Charles Howell lII, who is sponsored by Mizuno and is currently playing the MP-15s. He told me quite bluntly that there was little difference between the MP-15 and the MP-H5. He did say the MP-54s, which I recently replaced with the new Hogan irons, are still great clubs. Before switching to the 15s, Howell was using the 64s, which Luke Donald is still using.  

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few rounds, I'm glad I bought the H5s. Plenty of forgiveness but still great feel off strikes.

The big winner for me is the T5 wedges though. I've hit some really really good shots from 110-in that were just phenomenal. Maybe I get along with the grinds, or the bounce options are right for me, but I'm loving these wedges. Very soft yet good with distance control.

So after a few rounds, I'm glad I bought the H5s. Plenty of forgiveness but still great feel off strikes.

The big winner for me is the T5 wedges though. I've hit some really really good shots from 110-in that were just phenomenal. Maybe I get along with the grinds, or the bounce options are right for me, but I'm loving these wedges. Very soft yet good with distance control.

Come on ..........

you know you have a "bag three"..........

good to here that the new we t is working out, Are the H-5's as forgiving as the VRS Forged ?  Ball flight ?

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Come on ..........

you know you have a "bag three"..........

good to here that the new we t is working out, Are the H-5's as forgiving as the VRS Forged ?  Ball flight ?

I think they are on par with forgiveness to the VRS Forged.  Ball flight is really solid.  I've found it easy to hit it low as well as high.

No bag three.  Trying to sell the V2s, and putting some heads on shafts in order to get rid of more stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

I added the MP - H5 3 - 6 irons to my bag about 3 weeks ago to supplement my set of MP 54's.  The H5's have the XP 115gm stiff shaft soft stepped and are 1/2" longer.  They are decidedly more forgiving than the 54's and a delight to hit.  The 5 and 6 iron spend the most time in the bag and the 3 and 4 iron are in and out depending on the course I play and my needs.  I also have the JPX 850 3 and 4 hybrids.  The hard part is wanting to have them all in the bag but that stupid 14 club rule just gets in the way.

In the past I tended to hit the ball with a low trajectory but now with the H5's I'd say it's more mid to high.  The ability to hit a low shot though also makes these irons very versatile and I am glad I went with them.  The combination of the MP 54 and H5's works very well too.

Cheers

Greg

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

• 4 weeks later...

I've never hit a Mizuno club.   Yet I give them the highest marks for engineering, quality, and performance.  They've shaped my perception, yet never tempted me to buy a club.   How can that be?   I think it's because I don't think I can buy my way to a better game with Mizuno.  I think Mizzy is for players who already have games.

The illusion that we can buy our way to a better game is what sells clubs.  If I had the skill to hit a forged blade, I'd run straight to them.   But as a Joe Hacker, I want to buy my 17 yards more, not earn it.  

If my perception is any indication of how they are perceived in the market at large, any step that Mizuno can take via bold colors or more splashy tech will help with this false perception and sell more clubs.

I've always felt the same. I assume they are super great clubs but I never really want to buy them. I will say that I have played Titliest, Cleveland, Ping, Callaway and Mizuno wedges and the Mizunos have been my favorite by a long ways. So SOOO soft. Great feel. I should just bite the bullet and go back to Mizuno wedges and probably irons. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

mr_divots....if you are looking for some shafts, I pulled the Dynalite85S from my Cobra Bio Cell's replacing them with P{roject X 5.0 graphites.  The Dynalites are 85 gram but Stiff and still contain the grips.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

mr_divots....if you are looking for some shafts, I pulled the Dynalite85S from my Cobra Bio Cell's replacing them with P{roject X 5.0 graphites.  The Dynalites are 85 gram but Stiff and still contain the grips.

I don't think he can hear you foz...

• 3 weeks later...

Those clubs look beautiful. I've never been able to try mizzu's before. I'd love to find a demo day within driving distance. I always hear and read about how smooth they are.