Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Sandbagged?

GolfSpy Barbajo

I wish they would for slow play.

The OTHER bane of golf!  Sometimes I think that most golfers would rather be called a cheater than to be labelled as a slow player.

On something you mentioned earlier, its actually much more likely for a high-handicap better-ball team to go way low than it is for two low-handicap players.  The higher the handicap, the greater variation in the scores.  If the pair of 25's have a lucky day ham-and-egging, they'll beat two equally lucky 5's every time.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about the high hcp'ers but it is especially true if they are big hitters and the low hcp'ers are not. Distance off the tee is must for scrambles; not quite as much for better ball. Only if they get very lucky.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In my experience there is a "Dead Zone" of handicaps that never win and don't help in team play.   I'm talking about the steady 2 thru 8's.   If you're in this dead zone you're not good enough to take gross and you don't provide any help in net.  Unless you're a freaky big hitter who can't putt (or the reverse), you might as well stay home.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

In my experience there is a "Dead Zone" of handicaps that never win and don't help in team play.   I'm talking about the steady 2 thru 8's.   If you're in this dead zone you're not good enough to take gross and you don't provide any help in net.  Unless you're a freaky big hitter who can't putt (or the reverse), you might as well stay home.

It depends on the format. Actually a lower handicapper will play to his handicap more frequently than a mid to high handicapper. The problem is that once you have multiple high handicappers that variation in their scores will bite the lower handicapper, as others have said.

A good format is one that flights the field or forces a balance of handicaps on each team and also includes blind draws within each handicap category.

Again it's best to stick to tournaments where you know the people or where you are playing scratch.

Utah must have lots of great golfers Mark because here in Florida a 2 has a chance to win gross score much of the time. I've played in the senior division of our city championship the past 3 years. It's held concurrent to the regular city championship and the person who wins in either division is usually around even for the two day event and is normally a 2 or 3. But St Pete only has 300k people in it. :)

I think 2's win lots of tournaments gross because statistically they are in the top 2.5 percent of all golfers. Heck I play some with a guy who has played in two US Ams and he's a 1. Of course if he had time to practice and play he'd be a plus. He won the City Am when he was a 3 at 1 under. You know it's hard to maintain a very low handicap unless you play a lot or don't turn in all the scores or give yourself a bunch of putts.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Big hitter that cant putt right here :)

Actually come to think of it, that's probably why I like to play those formats :S

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

• 2 weeks later...

In our Saturday game we have one guy that seems to be on the winning team every week. His hcp is a legit 21.5, we play from the blue tees, he gets 27 shots from there, 3 weeks ago he shot 99 which right to the number, where helps is on hcp holes 1-9 where he gets 2 shots, par or bogey helps big time, and he usually throws in a par or 2 and an occasionally birdie which is either. 2 or 1 in team play, he doesn't have to play well all day, but a few good hole in the round, and the team gets low, we always say, you can't beat strokes.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

It depends on the format. Actually a lower handicapper will play to his handicap more frequently than a mid to high handicapper. The problem is that once you have multiple high handicappers that variation in their scores will bite the lower handicapper, as others have said.

A good format is one that flights the field or forces a balance of handicaps on each team and also includes blind draws within each handicap category.

Again it's best to stick to tournaments where you know the people or where you are playing scratch.

Utah must have lots of great golfers Mark because here in Florida a 2 has a chance to win gross score much of the time. I've played in the senior division of our city championship the past 3 years. It's held concurrent to the regular city championship and the person who wins in either division is usually around even for the two day event and is normally a 2 or 3. But St Pete only has 300k people in it. :)

I think 2's win lots of tournaments gross because statistically they are in the top 2.5 percent of all golfers. Heck I play some with a guy who has played in two US Ams and he's a 1. Of course if he had time to practice and play he'd be a plus. He won the City Am when he was a 3 at 1 under. You know it's hard to maintain a very low handicap unless you play a lot or don't turn in all the scores or give yourself a bunch of putts.

Nah, I never have any chance at anything.   I have to play championship flight under a 5 and if I shoot my typical 72-74 that gets me nothing nowhere in either gross or net.   I'm just donating prize money to somebody else.   Some stud will always post a 68 gross.   There's a +2 senior in my town of 10,000 who shot six under in the state am and he didn't even win the thing.   I got paired with another couple in a senior mixed pair last month.  That guy was solid, 3 under on his own ball for 18 by my count and they won at 8 under gross, 9.6 under net.   My gal and I got 6 strokes and were par 72 gross.   We weren't dead last, but we were far, far out of the money.   

In any event, the sandbagging mostly occurs in A flight where a 14 who is really a 6 takes everything.    Just avoid them is my motto.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived