Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Swing Weight - Your Preference

• SPY VIP

Do you guys have a preferred swing weight for your driver?

There are some interesting philosophies...business practices if you will.

TaylorMade tends to be on the heavier side (D5 give or take).

PING Generally goes a bit lighter (D2).

Many of the rest of the industry hovers around D3.

Is Swing Weight something you consider when you buy? Is it something you really even worry about?

In your mind, is there a number that's too light or too heavy?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I've honestly never though about swing weight on any type of non-iron club.  Generally I pick the weight of shaft I prefer and see if I hit it well.  I've been fit for drivers a couple times and I don't think swing weight was ever mentioned once in any of the fittings.  I've never been fit for my fairway or hybrids, but same story there.

My irons and wedges all play at D5.  I've never swing weighted my putters either, but I prefer heavier heads.  I'm guessing my current putter would be off the scale heavy.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Is Swing Weight something you consider when you buy?

Is it something you really even worry about?

In your mind, is there a number that's too light or too heavy?

Yes, it is something I consider and worry about. Yes, there is a too light / too heavy point.

~ D0 is way to light, D2 I can play it but don't prefer the feel, D4/D5 is my target weight, D7 and heavier is too much.

Do you guys have a preferred swing weight for your driver?

Well my set up is goofy and nothing close to OEMs "standards". I have a driver that is D4 @ 44.50" with 65g shaft. The head has hot melt in it to bring the total head weight up for swing weight reasons.

If you looked at my set you would laugh, its not pretty at all.

~ I have lost count how much lead tape is on my irons (3-9) and the 48* / 54* to get them to D4.

~ I have two tungsten swing weight squares on my 2h to bring it up 2 points from D2 to D4.

~ The Driver has hot melt in the head to swing weight it to what I wanted to feel, D4.

~ The 4w is D4.5 but has a 85g shaft in it, so no tape / dots.

~ The 60* is D5.5, we actually had to drill it out because it came out to D7 originally.

I only did swing weight after I found the shaft length, shaft bend profile, grip size / material that I like to feel and see in my ball flight as well.

~ Swing weight for me was fine tuning club face control by pure feel of where the head was in the swing.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I've honestly never though about swing weight on any type of non-iron club. Generally I pick the weight of shaft I prefer and see if I hit it well. I've been fit for drivers a couple times and I don't think swing weight was ever mentioned once in any of the fittings. I've never been fit for my fairway or hybrids, but same story there.

My irons and wedges all play at D5. I've never swing weighted my putters either, but I prefer heavier heads. I'm guessing my current putter would be off the scale heavy.

Same here, if it feels good it feels good no matter what the swing weight is.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Interesting ..... I would be exactly the opposite of JMiller.  I like a really light feeling club.

The heavier the club the more I feel like I need to "muscle" it through.....causing a litany of errors; casting, less control, etc. 

Lighter clubs give me a much smoother, controlled swing. 

My irons/hybrids are a C3, my woods are C1

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

My driver is always at D4 regardless of how I have to get it there (adding weight via different methods). I play my fairway at D4 as well. Hybrids are at D3 as are my long irons (5-7) and from 8-GW they're D4. SW, LW and XW are D5. Those are my preferences so I can feel where the head and face are at in the swing. I go heavier on my wedges because they're used more for partial shots and it fine tunes the feel for me to feel exactly where they are during partial swings, chips, etc.the heavier weights allow me to be smoother as well as I know where the head is at all times. When I go lighter I have a tendency to over swing... A lot... And I get tired quicker during the round when I'm swinging harder. That's how I know when that bad habit is creeping in, I get tired earlier. When I'm swinging smooth, I can play 36+ in a day easily. When over swinging, it's not uncommon to feel pretty tired after 18.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived