Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Needs More Small Courses

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Everytime I introduce someone to the Mrs. and mines favorite little course, Cove Links, the reaction is always the same: Why don't we have more of these?

Why don't we? I know, I know you're just like a couple of my buddies "But I don't get to hit driver every hole?" So?

Cove Links is 9 holes, it's $15 for 9 and less then $30 if you play 18. It has 7 par 3's and 2 short par 4's. The par 3's are all full length, from the tips pushing 2 bills at times, fully bunkered and great undulating greens. The par 4's 280 and 330 are no slouch either.

My point? Golf needs more accesible courses, more courses where it's not as tedious a task to get around and most of all courses that are just down right fun to play. On a Saturday morning Nidine and I can wake up at 7:45, be there by 8:15 (10 minute drive) with coffee and have played 9 by 10 am. We've enjoyed the golf experience, made some memeroies and most of all have the rest of Saturday available to us.

Oh and let's not forget that was $15. So tomorrow we'll probably wake up and do it all again.

Now I'm not saying forget the big courses, the more expenseive, because lord knows I wanna play em too. I just think we need more of these style course to balance out the cost and ability to play more often.

I'm just rambling some thoughts, but would love to hear yours.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

There used to be a 9 hole course here I LOVED. It was full length so you could hit driver on all the par 4s if you chose. It was no walk in the park either, lots of elevated greens and uphill shots. Unfortunately it got closed and a charter school is there now.

More small courses or 9 hole courses would be great especially in big cities where kids could bike to them and spend the summer days there.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

You're right and thanks for including at least one pic with Nidine in it. 

Those are more immediate thoughts.  More than that we had a course similar to the one you're describing that we would play in Fort Wayne IN - I don't recall the price but it was affordable.  It was 18 holes, 5 par 4's all short, between 280 and 320 and the rest par 3's of varying lengths up to around 200.  For kicks we would often play without allowing tees - you had to drop your ball and hit it as at lay on the tee box - that eliminated driver (even back then it would be a crazy play).

It would take a foursome of sem students playing for things like having to carry the opponets bag back to the clubhouse, around 2:30 to play 18.  It was great.

We also have a wonderful course about 30 minutes North of here that was designed by Chi Chi Rodriquez.  I think it's a par 66, about 5,800 from the tips, ideal for Juniors, Seniors and Women, it has a killer practice area and a paint ball park on the grounds.  The course itself is always in great shape, it's challenging because it's tight.  I love it because I can reach one of the two par 5's in two but it requires a long and straight drive and an exact second shot.  I've shot par on it and stuggled to break 80.  It's fun and quick, under 3 hours generally.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Chi Chi Rodriquez

http://youtu.be/q_fq4RQgwuA

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I grew up playing on a semi executive course. Had only one par 5 but I'd say an average amount of par 4's. Total length was about 5100, and you could easily get done in two hours on a good day.

The problem with a lot of executives I've been around is that they all are 80-120 yards long with maybe one or two holes over 150. I wish there was more like the one I learned on, where you get  a taste of the longer holes, but play a lot of the more average par 3's as well. Nothing like looking at a scorecard and playing 3-4 clubs the entire round.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I agree. We could use more fun exec's and our short games would benefit from practicing on them more frequently. Sadly, we won't see them purpose built because no one is building new courses of any kind. The only cases where we will see new "exec's" appear is when an 18 hole championship fails and is cannibalized for real estate development and conversion into parks, playing fields and perhaps a vestigial 9-hole exec.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I might actually be good if I had a place like that to play. The long par 3s are my Achilles.

Amen to that. I hate Par 3's :P

A lot of courses around here combine standard 18 holes + 9 holes as an executive course. It's great for practicing and playing a quick round before sunset.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

When I took up golf i lived on an executive course here. Played it 50-60 times before setting foot on a full size course.  When I did, I was wild with my driver.  But I was pretty good with my irons and made some really good recovery shots to get out of trouble and even hit a fair number of greens. Shot right at 100 I believe.  

I take my son to the same course although he prefers the long course now. 

I would love to have one a bit longer than than this executive.  The par 3s range from 80-140 yds is all and has two "par 4s", 200 and 235 yds. It's great for beginners and kids but a bit longer would make for some more fun I think.  It would be cool to have a couple of real par 4s you could hit a driver on. 

I love executive courses, and so does my wife. As it's been mentioned above they are fun, accessible to kids and recreational players (looking maybe to make the jump to playing more often), you play quick and it opens up a few creative opportunities like Rev was saying about using no tees for instance. We play one close by where we only take 2 clubs (including a putter) and you have to be really creative.

• SPY VIP

I want to point out an example of how NOT to go about this.

We have a public executive course in Tsawwassen that for decades catered to all within a budget. There is a local private course out there that looks after the bigger money in town as well. Few years back major investors & local big developers bought it up and redeveloped it. As you can imagine there are a ton of new houses and condos now.

The former executive was say 4800 yards with one par 5, easy layout and affordable. Now we have 5500 and given a better layout with a par 70 where previously it was I wanna say 64. The old course was loved, it hosted arguably the biggest tournament of the year with 4 man teams including a pro. All the gamblers showed up and the prizes were out of sight,

Anyways my point of what not to do. Just because you build a fancy new course with a few more par 4's doesn't mean you should be doubling your greens fees and alieanating many in your area. Seriously they want $90 peak for a 5439 yard course now. I don't know about you, but I can go down the street and drop $49 for a 7000 championship course around here.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I want to point out an example of how NOT to go about this.

We have a public executive course in Tsawwassen that for decades catered to all within a budget. There is a local private course out there that looks after the bigger money in town as well. Few years back major investors & local big developers bought it up and redeveloped it. As you can imagine there are a ton of new houses and condos now.

The former executive was say 4800 yards with one par 5, easy layout and affordable. Now we have 5500 and given a better layout with a par 70 where previously it was I wanna say 64. The old course was loved, it hosted arguably the biggest tournament of the year with 4 man teams including a pro. All the gamblers showed up and the prizes were out of sight,

Anyways my point of what not to do. Just because you build a fancy new course with a few more par 4's doesn't mean you should be doubling your greens fees and alieanating many in your area. Seriously they want $90 peak for a 5439 yard course now. I don't know about you, but I can go down the street and drop $49 for a 7000 championship course around here.

How is that trumped up short course doing, financially?   They've got to be hurting even though they're trying to get their investment money back.  

They're building an executive course here very similar to yours, at least in what I've heard from the developer's reps about it . It'll be built at the local sports complex that's still under construction (that will be the largest sports complex in the IS and the biggest recruiting service in the country for baseball) in conjunction with the Greg Norman Academy that will be located there. They've already have 4 of the baseball fields done and play is happening on them. The fields are all turf (no dirt anywhere). Hopefully the course won't be all turf but who knows. It could keep costs low as there'd be very little required maintenance so it'd be cheaper to play. There's also a cable wakeboard park already open, they're building a polercoaster, beach volleyball is already there, lacrosse fields, soccer fields, etc. I'm most excited about the executive course attached to the GN Academy though. I think it and developments like it will be good for the game. It allows those that don't have the time to spend playing a full course to still play and enjoy (and grow) the game.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

There are plenty here in SoCal. There's one I used to play all the time, par 68-69 with short par 4 and par 5. Lots of par 3 and the best part night golf. Actually there are quite a few night golf almost full courses in SoCal. Plenty of 29-32 par 9 hole course too. There are even an 18 hole chip and putts with bunker that you can practice.

I'm taking up left handed golf so I've been checking out the exec course to practice LH in a few months.

I hope more people taking up golf in BC so they build more exec courses.

I was a member for years at a club in Philly that was 5,400 yards and a par 66.  The original nine hole were done by Donald Ross and the additional nine followed in that trend.  Very fun to play with small undulating greens that you had to scramble your backside off to score well.  Best part was that my dues for unlimited golf for the year were at the highest point around $285.  I can honestly say that playing there once or twice a week did more for my short game and putting than all the practice time I had put in over the last ten years.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I would much rather go play a short course than pound balls on the range.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I went to the Par 3 course at my club to do my SCOR test today. It really was great practice, way better than pounding balls and yet when I added them up I hit 80 full shots. I also got a nice little walk in. The heat index was 105 when I tee'd off so I had to work at staying hydrated and stayed in the shade whenever I was recording results.

I honestly think I may make 9 holes on the par 3 course a once a week ritual. It's about the same cost as a bucket of balls and way more fun.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

totally. i have one up the street and bought an unlimited pass for $350. i'm getting in at least 27 holes a week.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I went to the Par 3 course at my club to do my SCOR test today. It really was great practice, way better than pounding balls and yet when I added them up I hit 80 full shots. I also got a nice little walk in. The heat index was 105 when I tee'd off so I had to work at staying hydrated and stayed in the shade whenever I was recording results.

I honestly think I may make 9 holes on the par 3 course a once a week ritual. It's about the same cost as a bucket of balls and way more fun.

I actually did the same thing myself the other night messing with a couple of wedges and a modified Anser2. I got lucky I teed off just before the onsloght of tourists. Had no one in front of me and played 2 or 3 balls from different spots with different wedges. It is hard in the summer to play this paticular par 3 though unless you hit it before 7 pm or so. But I figgure after the next 2 weeks with school starting up most of the tourists during the week will be gone

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I was a member for years at a club in Philly that was 5,400 yards and a par 66.  The original nine hole were done by Donald Ross and the additional nine followed in that trend.  Very fun to play with small undulating greens that you had to scramble your backside off to score well.  Best part was that my dues for unlimited golf for the year were at the highest point around $285.  I can honestly say that playing there once or twice a week did more for my short game and putting than all the practice time I had put in over the last ten years.

With a Ross course you cannot go wrong period unless some "brain child" so called archetect has tried to jack with it. Yep I am a big Ross design fan

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I would much rather go play a short course than pound balls on the range.

I think a lot of ranges price themselves out sometimes. 10-15 for a big bucket of balls hitting from mats or going to a course for 25 and playing on real grass... I'll take the real grass and course.

I have yet to find a range that I love and would want to spend time on.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

With a Ross course you cannot go wrong period unless some "brain child" so called archetect has tried to jack with it. Yep I am a big Ross design fan

This place would make you think a lot for the length of it and it was a true Ross design without any jacked up features.  The second nine that was done really matches the original Ross design features and is a seamless experience.  Many people write the course off since you can't hit driver that much, but it is a challenge none the less.  I had taken several of my buddies there to play and the low round that I can remember anyone shooting was a +4 70 and my low round there was a -5 61.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

what's the name of the course?

I mostly play on a 9-hole executive course.  It is a little rough, but it is inexpensive and the cost let's me frequently play other courses in the Pacific Northwest without feeling like I am spending more than I should.  It is not far from work, and I can head down at lunchtime and walk 9 holes in about 1.5 hours (one hour if there is no one on the course).  It has 2 par 3's (140 & 200); one par 5 (480), and 6 par 4's ranging from 240 - 360.  Mixing up the clubs for tee shots allows me to play every club in the bag.  The forward tees are perfect for beginner's and most of the women.  My wife likes it from there, but just before we travel, she will move back because the course from the back tees is about what she sees at most championship courses from the forward tees.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

what's the name of the course?

McCall Golf and Country Club in Upper Darby, PA.  The website has a few holes listed under the virtual tour area of the website and I can say without a doubt that the par 3 4th is one of the hardest par 3's I have ever played.

And surprisingly they do not list the full course architects on the site as they used to.  Ross did the original 9 holes and William Flynn did the second 9.....not great marketing to take Ross off of the course description.

WITB 2024

McCall Golf and Country Club in Upper Darby, PA.  The website has a few holes listed under the virtual tour area of the website and I can say without a doubt that the par 3 4th is one of the hardest par 3's I have ever played.

And surprisingly they do not list the full course architects on the site as they used to.  Ross did the original 9 holes and William Flynn did the second 9.....not great marketing to take Ross off of the course description.

Yeah, I know it but I never played there since it is private.    It's spitting distance from the "Poor Man's Merion" -- Cobb's Creek where I only played about a million times while at Wharton.   For that matter it's super close to the real Merion and the nearly as good Aronimink.   Lot's of great golf on the Main Line.

Yeah, I know it but I never played there since it is private.    It's spitting distance from the "Poor Man's Merion" -- Cobb's Creek where I only played about a million times while at Wharton.   For that matter it's super close to the real Merion and the nearly as good Aronimink.   Lot's of great golf on the Main Line.

Lived in Philly for 17 years and have played countless rounds at Cobbs, great layout but generally terrible conditions.  I played a lot of Philly Publinks events there and when they spend some of the budget on the greens the course is just awesome.  I was fortunate growing up that my uncle was a member at Merion and Aronimink so I have played a ton there as well.  Aronimink is one of the few courses I have ever played that could host a US Open on a weeks notice....Oakmont may be the other.

WITB 2024

• SPY VIP

Holy crap that thing looks like a US Open venue!

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived