TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bubba the Baby... again

gkatshoots69

We all know I don't care for Bubba or Bubba Golf and him skipping the Long drive contest is just another thing to add to my list of reasons why.  His attitude towards the whole thing is mind boggling, why can't he have some fun in the name of chairty.  He'll post stupid videos all the time to twitter but when it comes to having some fun on the course and a chance to win thousands of dollars for a charity of his choice he says it's stupid and a waste of time? 

“I'm not going to do it,” he told GolfChannel.com last week. “I'm there to play golf, not to hit it far. I've got to practice. I've never been to the course. I don't need to worry about a long drive on the 10th hole.” - Bubba

Doesn't Bubba hit it far with every club?  That is why he is as good as he is because of his length.  If you don't want to participate hit a driver at 75% and just say that you didn't get all of it, don't be a baby and hit an iron in protest when you know you're going to hit a driver all 4 rounds on #10. That is if he even makes it to Saturday, depends how much practice he can get in. 

Padraig, 3 time major winner, did the Happy Gilmore swing, now that's fun! and if anyone saw it as soon as he hit, his caddy instantly gave him another ball so he could "practice" the hole in the correct manner so he can prepare for the tournament. 

And by the way Bubba, when Jack won the stupid long drive contest he also went on the win the Championship. 

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

I usually defend Bubba.  But there is no defense for stupid.

He could have whacked the ball and been on about his business and not spent one additional second on this, since he was going to hit this tee shot.  But instead he made a big deal out of nothing.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Have you considered that Ping may have asked Bubba NOT to compete?   Bubba is swinging a new driver that Ping touts on Page One of its website as the highest SS and longest driver their top dog has ever hit.   If Bubba were to lose the contest, Turbulators lose.   If Bubba doesn't compete, they lose nothing.

What Bubba is is an unpredictable maverick and mavericks don't like going with the herd.   To some extent the PGA is a league of mavericks, a loose group of individual personalities who don't like subborning personal rewards for a team (or league) goal.   I think that's why they have a hard time lassooing these mavericks for efforts that may be for the common good.

Sometimes the league can pull off game-boosting changes, like a fed ex cup and a minor league that feeds into the big league.  Not without resistance though and not without the endorsement of the Big Bulls  like Tiger and Phil that really bring in the cash.   Other times they can't manage changes or choose not to.   Why are suspensions and disciplinary actions largely handled in deep cover?   Why are tour shenaningans closely guarded secrets?  There are probably many reasons, but I'd argue that among the biggest is to protect the players' relationships with his sponsors.  

Yes the PGA has a "dress code" -- gotta wear those collars! -- but no stipulations preventing logo's from addorning every inch of those collars, pant legs, sleeves. etc.   Ever wonder why all players wear hats in today's game and Jack and Arnie and Curtis and Freddie never did?   Who is gonna pass up the money offered to wear four more billboards on your head in today's game?   That's all personal money, not league money, and those mavericks are all gonna take it.   If Zach Johnson puts anymore stickers on himself he'll be a dorm room refrigerator.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Zach Johnson has less personality than a dorm room refrigerator. That was an insult to mini fridges everywhere.

As far as Bubba not doing it. I don't care either way if he does it. I like Bubba, and it makes it more fair to the rest of the guys if he doesn't participate. That said, yeah he could've whacked one. But it's not that big of a deal. He wants to win majors, and he has ADD. He's easily distracted. If you have ever interacted with anyone that has that disease, you might understand it a bit more. If you haven't, you wouldn't understand it. That one moment of interrupted practice could derail him the rest of the day.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Have you considered that Ping may have asked Bubba NOT to compete? Bubba is swinging a new driver that Ping touts on Page One of its website as the highest SS and longest driver their top dog has ever hit. If Bubba were to lose the contest, Turbulators lose. If Bubba doesn't compete, they lose nothing.

That's a pretty interesting take on it; I love a good conspiracy theory. It does make sense. FWIW, I hit that driver and it was absolute garbage for me.

I don't care that he didn't do it but the thing I don't care for is him sitting in the press room calling it "hokey" and pretty much calling it stupid and child like. He even admitted that his game plan was to hit driver all 4 days anyways.

I use to love bubba but the last year or 2 he has really annoyed me.

He complained about winning the masters and everything that came with it. Now the long drive contest and even today getting angry with his caddy for telling the announcer the club he was playing.

What difference does it make to your game if you hit a drive and win a charity 25k or of roger maltby knows your hitting a 7 iron 205 yrds?

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

In general I like Bubba.  He usually doesn't take himself too seriously, seems to like to have fun and is one of the best at social media interactions and fan interactions.  That he didn't want to participate in the long drive contest is no biggie to me.  Yes I think he made way too much out of it, there was no need for all the extra media attention.  But at the end of the day it's his game and his chance to prepare for a major so it is what it is.

I do think it's a pretty childish move to not let his caddy tell the announcers what club he is playing though.  It's shouldn't affect him or his play, and I have to think for the past however many years he's been on tour this wasn't an issue.  Why now all of the sudden in this tournament is he not allowing it.  Just seems like a jerk move to me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Should it really be any surprise to see Bubba act like an idiot?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Have you considered that Ping may have asked Bubba NOT to compete?   Bubba is swinging a new driver that Ping touts on Page One of its website as the highest SS and longest driver their top dog has ever hit.   If Bubba were to lose the contest, Turbulators lose.   If Bubba doesn't compete, they lose nothing.

What Bubba is is an unpredictable maverick and mavericks don't like going with the herd.   To some extent the PGA is a league of mavericks, a loose group of individual personalities who don't like subborning personal rewards for a team (or league) goal.   I think that's why they have a hard time lassooing these mavericks for efforts that may be for the common good.

Sometimes the league can pull off game-boosting changes, like a fed ex cup and a minor league that feeds into the big league.  Not without resistance though and not without the endorsement of the Big Bulls  like Tiger and Phil that really bring in the cash.   Other times they can't manage changes or choose not to.   Why are suspensions and disciplinary actions largely handled in deep cover?   Why are tour shenaningans closely guarded secrets?  There are probably many reasons, but I'd argue that among the biggest is to protect the players' relationships with his sponsors.  

Yes the PGA has a "dress code" -- gotta wear those collars! -- but no stipulations preventing logo's from addorning every inch of those collars, pant legs, sleeves. etc.   Ever wonder why all players wear hats in today's game and Jack and Arnie and Curtis and Freddie never did?   Who is gonna pass up the money offered to wear four more billboards on your head in today's game?   That's all personal money, not league money, and those mavericks are all gonna take it.   If Zach Johnson puts anymore stickers on himself he'll be a dorm room refrigerator.

I think Oosthuizen won it using the G30 though....

I usually defend Bubba.  But there is no defense for stupid.

He could have whacked the ball and been on about his business and not spent one additional second on this, since he was going to hit this tee shot.  But instead he made a big deal out of nothing.

I'll let this stand as my answer.  There's no really good defense for his comments or actions.  It's frighteningly like John Daily frankly.

BTW Oosthuizen won this one but didn't catch Jack's drive the last time it was done.  Kind of like horses going after Secretariat, don't you think?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Huh ?? 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

Bubba is a great guy when things are going his way.  He's an instant whiner when they arent though.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I like Bubba, but his attitude towards the contest then telling his caddie not to share club selection with the media really rubs mew the wrong way. He really acted like an ***hole.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Things just got worse and worse for the big guy as the week went on.  Karma came and got him, he got all that water on the club face Friday and just couldn't play golf in the rain.  ha. 

I will give him credit that he appologized for his actions on the course but come on Bubba, water on the club face didn't see to affect Rors. 

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Things just got worse and worse for the big guy as the week went on. Karma came and got him, he got all that water on the club face Friday and just couldn't play golf in the rain. ha.

I will give him credit that he appologized for his actions on the course but come on Bubba, water on the club face didn't see to affect Rors.

It didn't hurt rory cause rory doesn't shape the ball like bubba does

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived