Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

ULTIMATE REVIEW! – Cleveland Launcher DST Driver

GolfSpy_X

Great review. I found it interesting that you praised Cleveland and Mitsubishi for "getting it right" even though the SpecCheck tested out significantly stiffer than advertised.

I agree that most OEM's sell their clubs with shafts that are softer than advertised, but isn't being off one way or another just as bad? Especially given the fact that the Launcher is clearly marketed to mid-to-high handicap players that struggle with distance off the tee? The first time around, I tested the DST with the stiff shaft and it didn't go well. I just couldn't load the shaft with my mid-to-high 90's swing speed and now I know why....

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Great review. I found it interesting that you praised Cleveland and Mitsubishi for "getting it right" even though the SpecCheck tested out significantly stiffer than advertised.

I agree that most OEM's sell their clubs with shafts that are softer than advertised, but isn't being off one way or another just as bad? Especially given the fact that the Launcher is clearly marketed to mid-to-high handicap players that struggle with distance off the tee? The first time around, I tested the DST with the stiff shaft and it didn't go well. I just couldn't load the shaft with my mid-to-high 90's swing speed and now I know why....

On our chart the shaft tested out as a strong stiff, which means within the stiff range, but closer to X-stiff than to regular. Again, there is no industry standard, but on our chart, this is within the range it should be (although most definitely closer to the far end of the stiff range).

The point I was trying to make is that very often, the "stiff" shafts we see are on the strong end of regular flex, but not within the stiff range we use.

The issue you experienced trying to load the shaft is exactly why we've decided to keep SpecCheck around. No 2 shafts are created equal, so at the very least, we'd like to provide a baseline for comparison.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The issue you experienced trying to load the shaft is exactly why we've decided to keep SpecCheck around. No 2 shafts are created equal, so at the very least, we'd like to provide a baseline for comparison.

I'm glad you didn't get rid of it. I think it's the most interesting part of your testing process and it will help MGS readers narrow their focus during fitting. Kudos to you guys for doing that. Quite honestly, I'm jealous. I wish I had the equipment here to do it too. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I'm glad you didn't get rid of it. I think it's the most interesting part of your testing process and it will help MGS readers narrow their focus during fitting. Kudos to you guys for doing that. Quite honestly, I'm jealous. I wish I had the equipment here to do it too. :)

I hear ya. We're extremely fortunate that professional clubmaker, Kent Tarkleson from Tark's Indoor Golf is willing to let us use his shop for our reviews. I'm actually looking forward to our first iron set review. For woods, hybrids, and wedges, the flex measurement is just a dot on a graph (hardly worth including a chart for), but with irons, we'll plot the entire set, which will reveal not only the flex of the shaft, but also how consistent the shafts are from iron to iron.

I tested a set of graphite irons for a customer last week (I won't reveal the brand). Although the clubs were listed as stiff, the 4 that I took measurements from fell between A and regular flex. There was also no consistency to the flex between individual irons (2 CPMs apart in once instance, 9 in another). It would have made a great example chart for what a set should not look like.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I hear ya. We're extremely fortunate that professional clubmaker, Kent Tarkleson from Tark's Indoor Golf is willing to let us use his shop for our reviews. I'm actually looking forward to our first iron set review. For woods, hybrids, and wedges, the flex measurement is just a dot on a graph (hardly worth including a chart for), but with irons, we'll plot the entire set, which will reveal not only the flex of the shaft, but also how consistent the shafts are from iron to iron.

I tested a set of graphite irons for a customer last week (I won't reveal the brand). Although the clubs were listed as stiff, the 4 that I took measurements from fell between A and regular flex. There was also no consistency to the flex between individual irons (2 CPMs apart in once instance, 9 in another). It would have made a great example chart for what a set should not look like.

Boy I hate reading stuff like this. It makes me want to test all my gear which would take time and money, and potentially more money to replace stuff that isn't right.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Nice review. I can't wait for mine to get here. I have the heavier whiteboard coming and a 10.5 hear rather than my usual 9* because of the low launch characteristic. Nice to see this supported in the data.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

i liked it the review and club i got a dst tour smaller head shorter shaft and open face witha whiteboard on it. Loved it from the get go and to be honest with th last statment about brand washing basically i think that these guys just havent had a cleveland ad or the right cleveland player they like for this driver to be on there radar for purchase.

More distance and not to bad with accuracy being a new driver and all to testers seems like they be biting at the bit to get one of these bad boys to hit it longer than there current gamer.

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

ULTIMATE REVIEW! – Cleveland Launcher DST Driver

Read Review

Another great review. The review seems to reinforce what I experienced during an abbreviated demo days trial. I felt that most of the extra distance was due to shaft length and the lighter weight of the club cost me "feel" of the clubhead. I am guessing this is why Cleveland opted to keep the shaft on the stiffer side, since evidence suggests most of us can get additional distance from a more flexible shaft. I wish Cleveland and Adams would get on-board with interchangeable shafts. I believe the key to a successful driver is a head and shaft that suit each golfer.

• SPY VIP

I wish Cleveland and Adams would get on-board with interchangeable shafts. I believe the key to a successful driver is a head and shaft that suit each golfer.

Failing interchangeable shafts for the consumer, I'd love to see Cleveland and Adams roll out some fit carts to retailers. Phana, I'm guessing you're familiar with Northway 8 golf near us. They've got carts from just about every major OEM (including the Mizuno shaft optimizer), but for Adams and Cleveland you're lucky to find more than a couple of heads with the stock shaft to test. It's kind of a shame, but it helps to explain why the buzz isn't what it is with other brands.

Failing interchangeable shafts for the consumer, I'd love to see Cleveland and Adams roll out some fit carts to retailers. Phana, I'm guessing you're familiar with Northway 8 golf near us. They've got carts from just about every major OEM (including the Mizuno shaft optimizer), but for Adams and Cleveland you're lucky to find more than a couple of heads with the stock shaft to test. It's kind of a shame, but it helps to explain why the buzz isn't what it is with other brands.

I think this is an excellent point, the lack of a fitting cart hurts them for at least 2 reasons that I can think of:

1) Less visibility. When I walk to the net/simulators at a golf store, I always see a Ping cart, the Cally cart, etc, and I mentally clump those brands together as "top shelf brands" because they have these sweet carts.

2) They are a non-option for golfers getting fitted. If I paid my $50 (or whatever it might be) to be fit at a store, I want to go through the process of putting different heads and shafts together to find a good fit. Compared to that fitting experience, hitting something OTR rack some tape on it seems...lame.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

My 10.5* with the whiteboard got here yesterday. Took it out with the new mizzy's to the range this afternoon.

This driver is a cannon!

Couldn't aim for crap as I was getting used to it, but after a couple of dozen balls, contact was fantastic. The difference in tone vs. the Nike 5000 was crazy. So muted that I had to look at the head to see if I broke it. :)

The head shape seems a little big and getting the right position at address may take some tweaking, but when I hit it on the sweet spot, kaboom.

Whiteboard shaft takes away the 44g ultralight madness (it is 64g) but for me it makes a much better feeling driver.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Tell me about it. :angry: Even during demo days you are lucky to find the right drivers to hit, and the terrain at Northway 8 makes it impossible to really gauge distance, and the el cheapo Zelocity LM is next to useless. The closest option with a Trackman with Novogolf on Tappan, but they do not have Adams clubs (as of last year), you get the same hit or miss situation with Cleveland and really push Maruman, Honma, and Fourteen. I understand this is not the golf capital of the world, but with over 750,000 people in the MSA I would think at least one clubfitter/retailer would pop for a Trackman instead of these simulated golf courses.

Cleveland is supposed to be here next month with the Trackman, but the odds of finding the right head/shaft combo is directly proportional to how many club the Cleveland rep feels like carrying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also reviewed this club on A2G: Cleveland Launcher DST Driver Review

My review wasn't as nearly scientific (so maybe not the ULTIMATE) but I was a bit more smitten with the Launcher than the MGS testers once I found the right loft/shaft combination. I think Cleveland has a real sleeper on its hands.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived