Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Callaway Recycling Program (or) True Innovation?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Over the past couple of weeks Callaway has released a couple of new products to their lineup.  One being the Callaway Big Bertha V Series Driver and today they released the Callaway Apex MB Irons.

But as quickly as they released them readers began suggesting the fact that they closely resemble previous model version released by the brand. 

So, we put the two products side-by-side with the versions the readers were referring to.  That being said...we'll let you decide.

QUESTION: Do the products below truly resemble the previous models released by Callaway YES or NO?

apex-vs-razr-mb.jpg

legacy-vs-v-series-1.jpg

#TruthDigest

Yes, of course they do.

Strangely, I find myself praising the Apex MB's, which I view as a natural progression of a very respected and successful blade design after quite a bit of time since the last release.  Forged blades wear out and they've done a good job of presenting a replacement product that their loyal blade customers will want to purchase.

On the other hand, I tend to laugh at the V series as a shark-jumping rebadge of a japanese product that comes late to a pool party already stuffed with drowning swimmers.

I don't see innovation in either product, but since I don't expect innovation with a forged blade, maybe that's why I go easier on the Apex.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

In fairness the Japanese version wasn't released in the states. Kinda like TM did with the Gloire.

As for the blades, how much technology really goes into a blade? Does that particular market segment want some innovative technology or are they content with things as is?

One difference I see is the weight on the Apex appears a bit higher. That might affect the sweet spot depending on how the rest of the mass is spread.

Similar feelings here.  The Apex MB might looks similar, but it's a forged blade.  It's supposed to.  There seems to be enough difference from a visual inspection that I have no issues with the irons.

The driver is another story.  It certainly looks like they just added in an adjustable hosel and slapped some new badges on it.  I don't really care for that type of innovation.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Looks more like the RAC MB's to me

RAC MB TP STS.jpg

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Not a bad club to aspire to, since those Rac's were forged by Miura and are still played by many.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

two points...

will we see similar posts talking about the titleist recycling program with their AP1/2 lines? a Ping recycling series with their G and I lines of woods? Companies are always trying to add new products, even when true technology changes can't really be found.

and secondly, the legacy line was Japan only, there's not difference in that release than what Bridgestone does in releasing stateside what been out for a product cycle or two in Japan under the tourstage name.

• SPY VIP

If readers in large numbers have that perception then yes we will post that same question.  Here is the difference so far it seems from the consumers perspective.  You mentioned Titleist and Ping, these companies are simply claiming evolution with their products therefore perception from consumers is just that.  

Callaway is saying something entirely different but reality is telling something else to consumers.  And consumers seem to be seeing straight through their revoultionary innovation claims.  Which is why even on their own social media they have gotten as much push back as they have.  In today's times you have to be transparent which is not what consumers think of Callaway of late.

And lastly, you didn't answer the question.  No matter the brand name behind it, do you see this as recycling ideas or true innovation.  Try and take the brand bias out of your answer if possible.

two points...

will we see similar posts talking about the titleist recycling program with their AP1/2 lines? a Ping recycling series with their G and I lines of woods? Companies are always trying to add new products, even when true technology changes can't really be found.

and secondly, the legacy line was Japan only, there's not difference in that release than what Bridgestone does in releasing stateside what been out for a product cycle or two in Japan under the tourstage name.

#TruthDigest

Total recycling.  Callaway hasnt had any original ideas in years though.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

Total recycling.  Callaway hasnt had any original ideas in years though.

The Alpha isn't original? Versa? Multi-structured forged irons in the Apex line? These aren't original?

They might not be your cup of tea or work for you. But you can't doubt these didn't bring something new to the game and are original.

At the same time I see nothing wrong with "Recycling" If it isn't broke don't fix it. Or improve on it. Have they improved on it? I personally cant say. I haven't tried them and I don't have the consistent game to support an opinion on their effectiveness or improvements on past models. But many OEM's have done this in the past and not within their own original designs.

Speed pocket was invented years ago. Do we argue just because they are not original they aren't effective or yield better results then their original releases by other OEM's?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.0° Driver with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT
Callaway Big Bertha 3W with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2
Callaway Big Bertha 5W with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2
Callaway APEX 4-PW & AW & SW with Royal Precision Project X PX95 Flighted
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60° Wedge with Royal Precision Project X PX95 Flighted
Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT with custom black shaft (Gamer 1) or Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9HT with custom black shaft (Gamer 2)

Actually, the 2014 blades look a bit cleaner than the 2011 issues. So, No they are not just rebadging the irons.

As for the Driver, so what if they took the JPN model and introduced it to the U.S.? There is no rebadging here, as it had never been available in the U.S.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I wouldn't say that Callaway is recycling, but there is no innovation here.  The Apex irons are sweet and seem a logical change to achieve a slightly different look with the possibility of a lower ball flight (don't know but it looks like that).  Wish I was good enough to play these!

As for the driver...  again not innovative.  However, it is not all that much different that previous updates of models from most all manufacturers.  I actually think it looks better and more like the original Big Bertha of the 1990's.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

Great to have you on MGS Ouzo.

Look forward to what you have to say.  How was the trip to Callaway?  Would love to hear your experience.

The Alpha isn't original? Versa? Multi-structured forged irons in the Apex line? These aren't original?

They might not be your cup of tea or work for you. But you can't doubt these didn't bring something new to the game and are original.

At the same time I see nothing wrong with "Recycling" If it isn't broke don't fix it. Or improve on it. Have they improved on it? I personally cant say. I haven't tried them and I don't have the consistent game to support an opinion on their effectiveness or improvements on past models. But many OEM's have done this in the past and not within their own original designs.

Speed pocket was invented years ago. Do we argue just because they are not original they aren't effective or yield better results then their original releases by other OEM's?

#TruthDigest

Thanks for the welcome. Trip was so long ago I forgot about it. ;)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.0° Driver with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT
Callaway Big Bertha 3W with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2
Callaway Big Bertha 5W with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2
Callaway APEX 4-PW & AW & SW with Royal Precision Project X PX95 Flighted
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60° Wedge with Royal Precision Project X PX95 Flighted
Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT with custom black shaft (Gamer 1) or Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9HT with custom black shaft (Gamer 2)

Archived