TESTERS WANTED! ×

R-11 irons vs SpeedBlades

So I bought my current clubs at Golfsmiths Tent Sale. I wanted a decent beginner set and the Predator II set fit the bill. 5 months later I am shooting in the 90's. Last week one of the pros at the store put the swing speed monitor on an iron to see where I was. He told me right away that I need to be looking at Stiff Shaft clubs.

Everything I have ready has told me I need to look at a good set of game improvement irons. I am currently a Taylormade fan. I have hit a few of the r-11 irons and SpeedBlade irons at the store. They both felt similar at impact. The r-11s gave me about 5 more yards, but but a wider pattern offline. 

Has anyone hit both sets? I am looking for some guidance. I can get either set for about the same price. What do I need to consider before I commit?

As a rookie, any info would be great.

Thanks.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

I would take a look at the shafts in each set.  I've never hit the R11 irons, but I do currently play Speedblades.  I would have guessed all things equal the Speedblades would be longer, but the stock shaft isn't a great fit for everyone. 

All that said if a custom fit isn't in the cards I would pick tighter dispersion over distance.  You can always take an extra club, if you are all over the map left and right it's hard to hit greens.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I play Speedblades and I love them -- I'd never say to anyone don't get 'em.  But as an enthusiastic beginner, you will go through A LOT of sets as you improve and stick with this game.   Whatever you get, I'd say buy USED and buy CHEAP.  Don't yet pop for that primo expensive set until your game stabilizes.  If your choice is a very good set of used R11's at $200 or a $600 set of new Speedblades, get the R11's.   You can always upgrade later.

On another note, the R11's and Burner 2.0's were known to be very long, but some reported hot spots on the faces resulting in inconsisent distances.   Supposedly this was ironed out in the SB's.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I've hit the R11 irons. I'd recommend the Rocketbladez honestly, but make sure if you get them you like the weight. The stock shaft is fairly light. A buddy bought his set for roughly $300 used.

The Speedbladez are still considered a newer release and if you're looking for a custom set, that's definitely a good choice. The main differences between the Speedbladez and Rocketbladez is the sound they produce as far as I can tell.

I've hit the R11 irons. I'd recommend the Rocketbladez honestly, but make sure if you get them you like the weight. The stock shaft is fairly light. A buddy bought his set for roughly $300 used.

The Speedbladez are still considered a newer release and if you're looking for a custom set, that's definitely a good choice. The main differences between the Speedbladez and Rocketbladez is the sound they produce as far as I can tell.

I agree about the Rocketbladez.  A fine iron that deserved more than just a one year product life cycle.   They can be found $200 to $300 on ebay.   Oddly, their resale price has been going back up slightly in the last few months as fewer sets are available and folks recognize they are pretty darn good.

Well I want to thank all of you for the imput. However, I was blindsided last weekend when my wife bought my birthday present almost a month and a half early.

I will be playing this weekend with last years Nike VR-s Covert irons. She got a great deal on a  4 - AW set. As long as FedEx keeps up thier end of the deal, I should be posting my own WIYB by next week.

Thanks again. It was this kind of feedback that made me glad I came here.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Well I want to thank all of you for the imput. However, I was blindsided last weekend when my wife bought my birthday present almost a month and a half early.

I will be playing this weekend with last years Nike VR-s Covert irons. She got a great deal on a  4 - AW set. As long as FedEx keeps up thier end of the deal, I should be posting my own WIYB by next week.

I just tried a set of these last week and found them to be SUPER forgiving and extremely easy to hit.   A very good club that again only lasted 1 year.    You'll probably like them quite a bit.

Enjoy them! Hard to go wrong with most any product out there, especially if you get a good deal.

Sorry I'm just jumping in great but on the coverts and what a nice move by your wife. Enjoy them and her. Please let us know how you like them.

Mt back up set are Rocket blades with some sweet aerotech 85's in them. I'm thinking about taking them out for an offseason spin.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived