Lies, Damned Lies, and Golf Statistics

Our Sponsors

Another Golf statistic (or metric) that bugs me is our recent obsession with Swing Speed or Club head speed.   This number is bandied about like it's a rank or a handicap or something.  Everybody's supposed to know their driver Swing Speed.  Shafts are designed for SS ranges and Callaway even sells golf balls tuned to them.

Here's the problem:   Only the Trackman and Flightscope directly measure club head speed.   All other systems guess at it or calculate it using a factor off of ball speed.   How many folks have been fitted on a TM or FS?   Very few, I guessing.   There isn't one in my county that I know of.    The GC2 nearest me doesn't have the extra doo-dad that supposedly also measures SS (I've never seen one that has this doo-dad) so you must INPUT your smash factor to compute your SS.   The real formula is Ball Speed / Swing Speed = Smash Factor, but the GC2 does it bassackward using BS / artificially input SF = SS.    So if you input the wrong Smash Factor, you get the wrong Swing Speed.

So who is buying all those Callaway SR1 and 2 balls?   People who are guessing.    Probably the same ego driven folks who play from the blacks when they shouldn't.   It's all just a big fiction.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I disagree about PPR and will continue to do so. I agree it's meaningless short term, one round, but it reveals all sorts of things when placed in context with greens hit, up and downs and score over

Posted Images

Let's declare today the official bang on Callaway day at MGS.

Totally agree except that I think most people go for the 3 because that's what the Pros play and we all know that we hit it as far as they do, right?

Let's face it the biggest myth in golf is How far people, any person that is a male and not playing golf for a living, say they hit the ball.

It starts something like this, "I average...... off the tee." "I hit 6 iron on 17". It's 200 on the card but it's miss measure by 7 yards intentionally, the tees were up 20, the pin was up front, it was downhill and down wind at 2,300 ft above sea level. So the shot actually went 163 yards that was really playing 150 but he hit 6 iron 200! :)

Been there, done that and sad to say will probably do it again.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I hear you!  We have one hole, a par 5, that folks use as their benchmark hole for drive length.   The scorecard says it's 470 from the tips, so guys judge their drive length by the iron they have left to go to the pin.   Well the pin is down 10 yars in elevation, so you need one less club anyway.   They'll come in and say, "I had a 9 iron on 13 today, so I musta hit that drive 320 since I only hit a 9 iron 150."

Wrong.  That 9 iron went 160, not 150, and the hole only measures 440 by the GPS (so the scorecard lies).   Translation, you only hit that drive 280 Mr. Big Stuff.

I'm pretty sure there are devices you can attach to your shaft that measures swing speed, but thats all it measures. Used a couple before for iron shaft fittings.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I hear you!  We have one hole, a par 5, that folks use as their benchmark hole for drive length.   The scorecard says it's 470 from the tips, so guys judge their drive length by the iron they have left to go to the pin.   Well the pin is down 10 yars in elevation, so you need one less club anyway.   They'll come in and say, "I had a 9 iron on 13 today, so I musta hit that drive 320 since I only hit a 9 iron 150."

Wrong.  That 9 iron went 160, not 150, and the hole only measures 440 by the GPS (so the scorecard lies).   Translation, you only hit that drive 280 Mr. Big Stuff.

All day,too. A couple of years ago I was playing with Dog Pro, a lurking MGSer at World Woods. We got paired with two guys that were classic. The one was exceptionally long. I hit first and the one guy said, that's 270 right down the middle because the hole was 520 on the score card, his friend hits it over 300, I'm within 30 yards of the friend and inside 250. Well the tee was up a bunch and we measured every drive the friend hit the rest of the day. His long was a very impressive 292(down wind very down hill.). Most of his drives were low 280's. My long was 248 BTW.

People consistently over estimate their distances by a country mile.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I'm pretty sure there are devices you can attach to your shaft that measures swing speed, but thats all it measures. Used a couple before for iron shaft fittings.

Yeah, they exist and they're not that bad.  However the devices themselves weigh like 40-50 grams, so who knows how much they slow you down.  And of course they have to use a formula to estimate club head speed since they are attached near the grip and thus moving slower.

Yeah, they exist and they're not that bad.  However the devices themselves weigh like 40-50 grams, so who knows how much they slow you down.  And of course they have to use a formula to estimate club head speed since they are attached near the grip and thus moving slower.

Last one I used was with a mizuno rep if I recall correctly. This one was positioned much closer to the club head and I may be wrong but I don't remember it feeling any different weight wise when using it. The rep was using it as well as a software set to narrow down a selection of preferred shafts for me to try which took into account not just swing speed but also hand speed, transition and tempo. Was very cool to have the software spit out the same shaft my teaching pro had already fitted me into. (was just out trying different irons to get a feel before I buy :)  )

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Another Golf statistic (or metric) that bugs me is our recent obsession with Swing Speed or Club head speed. This number is bandied about like it's a rank or a handicap or something. Everybody's supposed to know their driver Swing Speed. Shafts are designed for SS ranges and Callaway even sells golf balls tuned to them.

Here's the problem: Only the Trackman and Flightscope directly measure club head speed. All other systems guess at it or calculate it using a factor off of ball speed. How many folks have been fitted on a TM or FS? Very few, I guessing. There isn't one in my county that I know of. The GC2 nearest me doesn't have the extra doo-dad that supposedly also measures SS (I've never seen one that has this doo-dad) so you must INPUT your smash factor to compute your SS. The real formula is Ball Speed / Swing Speed = Smash Factor, but the GC2 does it bassackward using BS / artificially input SF = SS. So if you input the wrong Smash Factor, you get the wrong Swing Speed.

So who is buying all those Callaway SR1 and 2 balls? People who are guessing. Probably the same ego driven folks who play from the blacks when they shouldn't. It's all just a big fiction.

The calculated smash factor on the gc2 is 1.45.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The calculated smash factor on the gc2 is 1.45.

That's the typical default, but it can be changed to produce different results. 

I first discovered this by accident when I went in to my local store to use their GC2 to compare two drivers I had in hand and the worker said, "It's all set up, just use the green club for your first, and the yellow for the second."  I did and I got radically different results for SS and total distance, but pretty close results with ball speed, launch angles and carry distance.   Odd, I thought, so I switched the order, 2nd club to green, 1st to yellow.  The results stayed the same for the "better" green club and "worse" yellow club.   Smelling a rat, when they weren't looking I poked into the sub-menus. 

They'd set up the smash factors and roll out defaults differently for the two clubs, probably in a sales effort to favor one club over another because they know that rube customers tend to focus more on SS and TD.

Maybe I should change the header of this thread to "Lies, Damned Lies, Golf Statistics, and Salesmanship".

Last one I used was with a mizuno rep if I recall correctly. This one was positioned much closer to the club head and I may be wrong but I don't remember it feeling any different weight wise when using it. The rep was using it as well as a software set to narrow down a selection of preferred shafts for me to try which took into account not just swing speed but also hand speed, transition and tempo. Was very cool to have the software spit out the same shaft my teaching pro had already fitted me into. (was just out trying different irons to get a feel before I buy :)  )

I don't want to diss these little shaft gadgets too much because I'll soon be using one to try to get my SS up.   Regardless of how much they weigh or how accurate they really are, if they assist you with feedback and improvement to get better, then they are useful.

That's the typical default, but it can be changed to produce different results. 

I first discovered this by accident when I went in to my local store to use their GC2 to compare two drivers I had in hand and the worker said, "It's all set up, just use the green club for your first, and the yellow for the second."  I did and I got radically different results for SS and total distance, but pretty close results with ball speed, launch angles and carry distance.   Odd, I thought, so I switched the order, 2nd club to green, 1st to yellow.  The results stayed the same for the "better" green club and "worse" yellow club.   Smelling a rat, when they weren't looking I poked into the sub-menus. 

They'd set up the smash factors and roll out defaults differently for the two clubs, probably in a sales effort to favor one club over another because they know that rube customers tend to focus more on SS and TD.

Maybe I should change the header of this thread to "Lies, Damned Lies, Golf Statistics, and Salesmanship".

I have never seen that happen to me when using GC2, thats pretty shady

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I have never seen that happen to me when using GC2, thats pretty shady

Bear in mind that I'm talking about the computer sim connected to the GC2 monitor.   The sim is where all the presets and monkey business can happen.   Not to say it will happen, but you have to check those presets every time.   The LM itself is just going to spit out raw readings of spin, ball speed, launch angle etc.

I once had an internet golfer on another forum "prove" to me how good he was with his newly-released driver by posting a GC2 sim screen shot of his last 6 drives.   Phenomenal numbers, which proved to be too phenomenal.   I was testing the same driver at the time and had a SS very close to his.   Somehow he was getting massive carry and roll-out outputs that I couldn't match when his ball speed, launch angle and spin numbers were close to what mine were.   How did he do it?   He turned up the sim presets to Himalayan monastery altitude and bowling alley fairway settings for max carry and roll out, then he threw out all swings that weren't ideal.  

Was he a shill for the manufacturer?   Probably.

I once had an internet golfer on another forum "prove" to me how good he was with his newly-released driver by posting a GC2 sim screen shot of his last 6 drives.   Phenomenal numbers, which proved to be too phenomenal.   I was testing the same driver at the time and had a SS very close to his.   Somehow he was getting massive carry and roll-out outputs that I couldn't match when his ball speed, launch angle and spin numbers were close to what mine were.   How did he do it?   He turned up the sim presets to Himalayan monastery altitude and bowling alley fairway settings for max carry and roll out, then he threw out all swings that weren't ideal.  

Big hitter the Lama.....   Long.

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Big hitter the Lama.....   Long.

Gunga-lagunga, baby.   The episode did give me "total consciousness" about the tricks of launch monitor jockeys.

Gunga-lagunga, baby.   The episode did give me "total consciousness" about the tricks of launch monitor jockeys.

At least you've got THAT goin for ya....  Which is nice.

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Even club manufacturers agree robot data doesn't cross over to real people swinging the club for review purposes. They definitely use them in their R&D, very helpful there. But when it's time to see what a club does for real, they want third party, real golfers doing it. A robot has no feel, can't tell you what to expect if you hit a shot toward the toe or give you dispersion patterns based on how people make contact. A robot doesn't release the club the same as a human. There are countless dynamics to a person's swing that a robot can't get feedback on.

Sure having a pool of 100 testers over 50 rounds with each club would be great. That's not realistic obviously, and doing it with a robot instead would be pointless because the results wouldn't translate to you when you swung the same club.

The problem is those "real" golfers aren't the same as me, or any other consumer. The whole deal is I am not convinced that human "real" golfers offer any more value than testing with a robot.

A least with a robot you can control the variables like swing speed, angle of attack, face angle etc. You can even vary these factors and graph the results.

But human testers are unreliable, they get tired, they have their personal preference, they have that "what feels good for them" factor, which is totally subjective.

So using statistics and subsequent reviews from human testers offers very little value.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ultimately it does come down to just you and the clubs in your bag.

That's one reason why I do relatively little launch monitor testing and a lot of driving range and real course testing.   What does an LM do?   It gives you numbers that may help you to quantify and approximate a real shot when searching for the ideal.   Well, real shots help you see real shots even better.  

I'm only concerned with one thing when I test.   Is the new test club better than the one it may replace?   I don't care so much about spin or angles or shot height if the new club delivers something superior to the old club.

I know what the old ones do, so I use reviews and word of mouth and net chatter to sniff out potential candidates for a test.   Numbers and ads and pro tour usage and hype mean nothing at this stage, only what I see with my own eyes.

Ultimately it does come down to just you and the clubs in your bag.

That's one reason why I do relatively little launch monitor testing and a lot of driving range and real course testing.   What does an LM do?   It gives you numbers that may help you to quantify and approximate a real shot when searching for the ideal.   Well, real shots help you see real shots even better.  

I'm only concerned with one thing when I test.   Is the new test club better than the one it may replace?   I don't care so much about spin or angles or shot height if the new club delivers something superior to the old club.

I know what the old ones do, so I use reviews and word of mouth and net chatter to sniff out potential candidates for a test.   Numbers and ads and pro tour usage and hype mean nothing at this stage, only what I see with my own eyes.

I would agree, I will use a LM. But to confirm what my eye balls are seeing. It's one of many tools. I don't care much about pro usage because what they use must be different from what I use even if it's the same brand/ model. My swing speed with the driver is mid 90's theirs 115 plus. Not the same approach to the game or equipment needed.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

• 1 month later...

I just saw another fine example of a mis-leading golf statistic in a video comparing two irons.   The video focused on the relative differences between two different shafts in the same head and it compared the launch angles, spins, AoA,  ballspeed, carry, and l to r dispersion using the Trackman.    All the numbers made sense, but each column had to have a summary conclusion, or an average, in order to make sense of how that club performed and enable the user to make a sensible choice, correct?

I won't bore you with all the details, suffice it to say that the two shafts produced almost identical results in most categories for the 5 shot test window displayed on screen -- except with the left to right dispersion category.   One of the clubs had numbers like 19l, 18r, 11l, 9r,  4r  and the other shaft had numbers like 11l, 7l, 9l, 2l, 3l.     Since the bottom of the column merely totaled the AVERAGE of the inputs above it, the first club which has big sprays both left and right (producing a very large diameter dispersion circle) came out with very low mathematical average since the big lefts cancelled out the big rights.   The second club, with a much tighter circle that was shifted a little left, has a much better dispersion but an average that looks worse to the untrained eye.   If you look at just the averages, and not the circle, you'd think that no. 1 was a better shaft, when no.2 is much better

I think Trackman has the ability to display the grouping circles I'm talking about, I've seen it before, but not on the columnular chart I saw in the video.  Fortunately, the demonstrator also caught this anomaly.

To properly evaluate a dataset, control limits need to be set; in this case there is a systematic error for shaft #2 with a small random error while shaft #1 only has a large random error.  Based on typical shaft results, control limits of 2 sigma can be established that would clearly show when a shaft is unacceptable.  The bias left for #2 can be corrected, but I would want to know why it's there and what can be done to eliminate it.  If nothing, then I'd still be looking for another shaft.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”