Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2014 Summer/Fall Puma Golf Selections

SPY ZINGER

puma-logo.png

This past November, I had to opportunity to visit Cobra-Puma Golf headquarters in Carlsbad.  There is something different about the atmosphere on Aston Avenue.  The folks at Cobra-Puma seem to be geniuses at creating an environment of fun.  Although I have never been to the annual pilgrimage to Orlando in January, the other writers at MyGolfSpy tell me that the best time is always being had over at the Cobra-Puma booth.  It's a non-stop party.

Although the brand and environment is about fun, their equipment and apparel line demands respect from a performance perspective.  Just the same, the colorful nature of their branding along with the fresh young looks of their apparel make performance fun.  If it's bright and bold on the golf course, chances are, its Cobra-Puma.  Their marketing and branding mesh performance and styling beautifully, as demonstrated time and again.

Over the years, Puma Golf has remained a constant favorite in my golf apparel arsenal.  I wear a size Large, and the Puma Golf large has been the best fitting Large, right off the rack.  The overall length, sleeve length, width, chest dimensions, there is something about Puma Golf that fits me perfectly.  It's as if they used my body as a model for the size Large golf polo.  Time and again, their fit has brought me back to the brand more than any other factor.

Aside from fit, Puma Golf produces some of the most comfortable apparel in golf.  I don't know what it is about their selections, but they just feel easy to make athletic moves in.  All of their gear features their “dry-Cell” technology which is the Puma version of moisture wicking.  The fit and comfort factor of their apparel is a standard constant for me, and Puma remains one of my top choices in the closet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZ5m_402MU

Solid Tech Golf Shorts
  • 95% Polyester, 5% spandex
  • dryCELL designation for moisture-wicking properties that help keep you dry and comfortable
  • Single button closure at waistband, with zip fly
  • Dual front pockets with coin catcher, plus dual back welt pockets
  • UV protection: UPF 50+
  • Printed pocket bags and inner waistband
  • Embroidered PUMA Cat logo at left hem
  • 18 Hole logo at back right hip
  • Inseam: 11"

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

Jacquard Pattern Polo Golf Shirt
  • 100% Polyester
  • dryCELL fabrication for moisture-wicking properties that help keep you dry and comfortable
  • Contrast collar with four button placket
  • Raglan sleeve detail for reduced friction on every swing
  • Taped side vents for maximum ventilation
  • UV protection: UPF 40+
  • Embroidered PUMA Cat logo at left chest
  • 18 Hole logo at center back neck

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

Fluid Light Polo Golf Shirt
  • 92% Polyester 8% Spandex
  • coolCELL mesh back with natural anti-odor treatment for its combination of moisture-wicking properties and anatomically placed airflow features for superior temperature regulation…and odor
  • Three button placket
  • Self fabric collar
  • UV protection: UPF 30+
  • Raglan sleeve detail for freedom of movement
  • Embroidered PUMA Cat Logo at left chest
  • 18 Hole Logo at back neck

IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

Golf Longsleeve 1/4 Zip Top
  • 90% Polyester, 10% Elastane
  • dryCELL designation for moisture-wicking properties that help keep you dry and comfortable
  • Adjustable draw cord at hem with toggle closure to ensure best fit with every swing
  • UV protection: UPF 40+
  • Quarter zip with stand collar
  • Contrast coolCELL mesh panels at shoulders and inner collar for climate control
  • Embroidered PUMA Cat Logo at left chest
  • 18 Hole Logo at right back shoulder

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

Posted Image

Let's be honest. You get what you pay for. Puma is rather cheap and quality is ok. Fabrics are ok. Seams are ok. Colour after washing is barely ok. Fit is baggy and very American/Southern Europe.

Their outerwear has so far been below par. I've got the new rain jacket for 2015. Will be wearing it as soon as the weather stops being so perfect :) First impression is positive. Seems to be a step in the right direction for Puma.

Their Lux collection is a lot better. Fabrics feel like they're higher quality and fit is more modern. 

• SPY VIP

I would have to agree Furu, but I think they are headed in the right direction as well.  But only time will tell.

Let's be honest. You get what you pay for. Puma is rather cheap and quality is ok. Fabrics are ok. Seams are ok. Colour after washing is barely ok. Fit is baggy and very American/Southern Europe.

Their outerwear has so far been below par. I've got the new rain jacket for 2015. Will be wearing it as soon as the weather stops being so perfect :) First impression is positive. Seems to be a step in the right direction for Puma.

Their Lux collection is a lot better. Fabrics feel like they're higher quality and fit is more modern. 

#TruthDigest

FURU-I respectfully disagree on Puma's Quality and durability over multiple washings. I also do not think their shirts are American cut if anything they are modern cut but maybe I'm just a little bigger? Just the same I always respect your opinions on apparel and thank you for giving them.

I have a Puma golf item that I posted here in 2012 I still have it and wear it quite frequently I should post comparison photos to show what I mean about durability over time.

Posted Image

I have a four year old Puma shirt. It was a lot better than their latest stuff. Still looks pretty good. Keeping it for sentimental reasons - won a tournament wearing it :)

Ok. American cut was a little mean. But to put it this way - I wear XL in JL and Galvin Green. Large in Peak and the slim fit Nikes shirts. And I wear a medium in Puma. Always happy when I put their trousers on - in 33/32 :) Not my regular 34/32 or even the incredibly tight Oscar Jacobson in 36/32!

Their fleece/softshell jackets haven't been good at all. Middle layer sweaters have become very good the past 1-2 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

@SpyZinger-Puma/Cobra and Callaway were 2 companies i applied for in their IT depts when we were looking to move to California. I always thought Cobra had a cool vibe, cool/fun place to work for. If you have any connections with their IT dept. I would love to network with someone there that does hiring for IT/Engineering.

Archived