TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Championship disaster - HELP! ADVICE!

A little background of my situation.

My name is Lou. I have been playing "serious golf" for 7 years now. My father was a great golfer who won 9 club championships at the local golf club. Myself, I was never into golf as a kid. I'm Canadian and of course, ice hockey was my sport of choice. 

When my Dad passed away, I inherited his clubs so I decided to start playing and really fell in love with the game. I never took a lesson. Sure, I watch the videos online and golf channel shows like everyone else but NEVER a lesson with a person. My personal best score is 74 on a par 72.

I was able to get my handicap to a personal best 7.9 and decided to put my name into the club championship. I knew my chances were slim to none of winning it. I don't play serious, competitive tourneys so this was new for me...and I BLEW IT!

Dead last with 2 day scores of 86 and 91. I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my whole life. I drove the ball fairly well, but could not putt to save my life. Lots of bad shots. 

I could not focus because of my game. I am realizing that as good as my game has gotten, my mental game is not ready. 

My questions are, how do I get passed this? I mean, I had people there laughing at me. I feel so ashamed, like I've let my family and my Dad down. I almost want to quit. I almost signed my card after 9 and quit right there. I was that upset - still am. Please help. Any videos, any links, any advice, any replies you be greatly appreciated. I do not want to quit this game but right now I'm leaning towards it :( 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Your expectations were too high and you were trying to live up to a legacy.   Golf cannot be conquered quickly.

The ONLY way to get past nerves in tournaments is to play a LOT of tournaments.   You will continue to be nervous, but gradually you'll get past it and the very boredom will start to dull your nerves and you'll be able to score closer to your handicap. 

86 and 91 are not shameful scores.   My career best is 67 and I'm a 2.   Last year I shot a 93 in a tournament.   I was also paired with a girl who was a 6 in a mixed scramble.  We had the lowest hcp combo in the field and finished dead last with a 74 gross.  In a scramble we couldn't break par!

BTW, no 7.9 in the history of "goff" has ever won his club championship on the first try.  It's always some sandbagger who claims to be a -3 who will shoot 68-67.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I agree with markb, you need to play a lot of tournament golf and have reasonable expectations.

Also, if your handicap is the result of only playing your home course, you need to get out and play as many different courses as you can.

I'm glad you didn't quit after 9 holes. I have felt like you after 9 but have never quit no matter how bad it was.

Keep your chin up and look for a tournament circuit around you that plays different quality courses. My game would not have grown if I didn't get away from my home course. It's the main reason I haven't joined a country club...

Lou

There's lot of stuff that other members of the site will point you to, might be of use to you - might not. I suspect knowing the site something will help you.

Golf is an inherently difficult game, which can make anyone look silly at times - this is truth. I mean did you see Rory 4 putt yesterday (and today!)

I've found the more events I play the less nerves play a part in my scoring, early on it was hard for me to know if I was playing bad or my nerves had got the better of me. That's not to say I still don't feel nerves, but they no longer impact my putting stroke or my swing to the same extent.

Put yourself in more pressure situations and remember it's still just a game.....

oh and of course we are all entitled to play cr@p at times - it happens, grim when it happens but it does happen to everyone.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Thanks guys for the replies. I was literally shaking on the first to about the 7th hole where I got a birdie.Something broke and my nerves kinda went away but I just couldn't seem to shake this dark cloud over my head. I was hoping to not finish last. It was the only thing I didn't want to happen. The kid who won last year and is a 2 handicap shot an 87 yesterday and withdrew today. At least I didn't quit - but was really close.

I do not get out much in terms of playing other courses mainly because of time. I have 2 young kids at home (1 being autistic) and I try not to leave home too much. That and I usually play myself because if the urge hits me to go play, I usually have trouble finding a partner so I play by myself. I have my sunday morning fun rounds with my aunt and either friends or relatives.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

There have been some good suggestions raised so far. I think a really good strategy is to try and replicate those pressure situations as often as you can so you become used to them. A good training game I play to help with this is to have severe penalties for missing a putt/target and having to repeat a whole series of things to get back to that point. Another really good way is to simply play in as many tounaments as you can access, or if your club has a pennant team try and join that. The pressure of playing in matchplay as part of a team will steel your nerves quick.

Other than that you really need to learn to relax and just focus on the next shot. Whether you try and drop all of the nerves together and just go out and have a fun day, or you use the nerves to sharpen your focus thats up to you to discover.

Also trust me when I say that one bad round in a club championship doesnt put you out of the running. The one that I took home I shot a 10 over 77 the first round, but managed to shoot myself back into contention with a 1 over and 2 over rounds of 68 and 69 to win be a close margin so never give in.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Who laughs at another golfer while he's struggling in a tournament round? Sure my friends and I will laugh at each other in a fun round but in a tournament?

That's their problem not yours. That's for starters.

Your scores were no where near as bad as you think. As others have said golf is tough. You need to find ways to challenge yourself so that you get used to playing under pressure. Is there some sort of group at your club that plays a regular money game? Is there a men's club or a league where you play your own ball in stroke play? That's the kind of stuff that will toughen you up for a tournament like this one. The other thing is we are amateurs, it's tough to put two good rounds together back to back. Generally speaking the person who wins stroke play events is the one who plods and doesn't let things bother him.

Good luck and don't get too down. Anyone here who hasn't had this experience either hasn't played enough golf or has great selective memory. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I started playing in the "twilight" league which is basically a men's 9 hole league. The first 3 holes it's best ball. The second 3 it's best score and the last 3 holes it's alternate. I play with my 59 year old boss who is about a 14 handicap and we went 3-5 and made the playoffs. We ended up in our first match against a team that went 7-1 and won 4-3. We are almost done that. 

They sometimes play matches against other clubs but I've never been invited or asked to play. I did tell them I would be interested but was too late by then.

Who laughs at a struggling golfer? Stop by our club sometime and I'll introduce you to a cast of characters that would be a good caddyshack movie lol. 

I am feeling better since posting my comment. A few years ago I had a mental breakdown by my old boss at my old job and totally lost all my confidence. It does, occasionally pop up but more or less I lack serious confidence and so it was much much worse for me to have to endure that ridicule. I didn't even stay for the supper or to find out who won. I didn't care. I just wanted to leave. 

A little background of my situation.

My name is Lou. I have been playing "serious golf" for 7 years now. My father was a great golfer who won 9 club championships at the local golf club. Myself, I was never into golf as a kid. I'm Canadian and of course, ice hockey was my sport of choice. 

When my Dad passed away, I inherited his clubs so I decided to start playing and really fell in love with the game. I never took a lesson. Sure, I watch the videos online and golf channel shows like everyone else but NEVER a lesson with a person. My personal best score is 74 on a par 72.

I was able to get my handicap to a personal best 7.9 and decided to put my name into the club championship. I knew my chances were slim to none of winning it. I don't play serious, competitive tourneys so this was new for me...and I BLEW IT!

Dead last with 2 day scores of 86 and 91. I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my whole life. I drove the ball fairly well, but could not putt to save my life. Lots of bad shots. 

I could not focus because of my game. I am realizing that as good as my game has gotten, my mental game is not ready. 

My questions are, how do I get passed this? I mean, I had people there laughing at me. I feel so ashamed, like I've let my family and my Dad down. I almost want to quit. I almost signed my card after 9 and quit right there. I was that upset - still am. Please help. Any videos, any links, any advice, any replies you be greatly appreciated. I do not want to quit this game but right now I'm leaning towards it :(

Be glad my first tournament I shot a 110. I had scores of 13 on one hole and 11. On a totally different hole I 7 putted. I was on in two and legit 7 putted on the second hole... that was it, tournament over on the second hole... so that being said my advice is it was your first tournament... there's plenty more.

Something I learned: Start with a plan now... learn the course inside and out... learn the mistakes you make. Then once you identify the mistakes, learn to cope with them... and recover. Best thing I ever learned was how to get out from trees...

Also look up the stats golf association they may have lists of tournaments.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

My driving was really good other than 3 maybe 4 holes where I f'ed up. My second shots and my scrambling were pretty good too. I struggled really in 2 places - with the putter and between the ears. I was literally shaking trying to make 1 foot putts. I'm gonna try something a little different and get a more balanced putter. I think a bigger head will give me more confidence at address so I'm gonna look at a mallet. I've already got 1 picked out. I know I can play. I really can. I believe that I can. It was just a situation where it's almost like walking into a dark room that you've already been into but you still don't want to stub your toe because that hurts like a b***ch lol. 

I've got a league match against the guy who won the senior division hopefully tonight and if we win we play the guy who won the championship so should be a good test. 

Oh, and the guy who won the senior championship is also the same guy who tried to downplay my father's 9 wins so I already do NOT like this guy. We played them earlier this summer and I put too much pressure on myself and we got beat hard so should be a good test. Wish me luck!

My questions are, how do I get pass this?

I mean, I had people there laughing at me. I feel so ashamed, like I've let my family and my Dad down. I almost want to quit. I almost signed my card after 9 and quit right there. I was that upset - still am.

There is absolutely no reason to feel ashamed. EVERYONE, at some point in their lives has shot an awful tournament score that is way above there normal ability. Pressure / tension is a killer to a golf swing and you have to learn to deal with that over time. If anyone is actually laughing at you then you belong to a club with a bunch of D-Bag members that have forgotten what it was like in there first few tournaments.

You should ALWAYS hold your head high that you didn't cheat and didn't quit because you were playing bad. I never learned one damn thing from my great rounds of golf only the bad ones and the near misses in tournaments. It is so easy to be negative but you can't be positive, reflect on it and learn from it then forget about it.

It took me 5 to 10 tournaments to feel "normal" in a big event. I ALWAYS get a little anxious on that first tee, you never get over that, you just learn to deal with it focusing on your process and understanding how the pressure effects your swing. There is absolutely NO substitution for Tournament golf then tournament golf. It is a different beast. Money games help simulate pressure but at the same time you have other chances to make money. You get one chance to perform well in that specific tournament.

This brings up a point I made to someone at my club after we both played in the NC Mid-Am Qualifier. He started 5 over (Hole 10) Quad Bogey (Hole 11) pure nervousness went on to shoot a 89. This is a 4-6 handicap player on his own course (we hosted the qualifier).

~ It was his first ever stroke play tournament round in 10 years, you don't just walk into these sorts of things without some experience on how to handle them and play well.

I would almost use the bad score as a motivation to prove everyone wrong if they form an opinion on me about my abilities as a golfer by a single score. Just spin it into a positive whenever possible.

My advice

Focus on only what you can control.

~ Process is HUGE, pre-shot routine only giving your attention to the current shot / situation.

>> Forget about a previous shot / hole, don't worry about where the ball will go or an upcoming hole, only the current task.

--> With process it forces your mind into feeling like the shot is just "routine" and you have practiced it and done it 100s of times on the range / course before.

Know how the anxiety / tension effects your swing and figure out a way to negate tension.

~ Tension is a swing killer, you can't move the club the same way if you have more grip pressure / tight from nervousness.

--> A lot of people might grip the club tighter or increase there tempo during the swing to be faster. Neither is going to result in a good swing.

Play more tournaments and don't be results oriented or worried what people think about you as a player.

~ A golf score DOES NOT define you as a person.

--> Only how your actions are on the course defines you, that points out the personality not the score, handle the bad moments and good ones with class.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Thank you Grandmaster, that was an excellent post. 

I've always been a nervous person so it's something I definitely need to deal with. There was 1 guy and only 1 guy that made me even more nervous playing with and I thought I had gotten rid of him on day 2. We were supposed to be in groups of 3 but because the kid who shot an 87 withdrew we had to play with the group after us and the guy who made me nervous was in that group. 

Not a good feeling when the 3 other guys who are playing with you are fighting about which one has to sit in the cart with yours truly (no one wanted to play with me lol).

Where I play - I don't fit in. I don't have money and my Dad (even being the guy who's won the most club championships) is not respected there because HE was not a wealthy person. They won't even rename the trophy after him (9 yes 9 titles and the next guy in line has 4). He was a working class hero. He came from nothing and beat everybody by pure talent alone. My membership cost me $530 bucks taxes in and it took me all year to save up for it. Crazy right? A working man with a wife and 2 kids and as small an amount that is (compared to some of you I'm sure) and it took me  A WHOLE YEAR. I've already started saving up for next season.

So it was really easy for some of my family and their friends to laugh at me -  because it didn't happen to them. I get it. I understand it. If my father was still alive, I would have asked him on how he dealt with it. They started the tourney in 1965 and my Dad first won it in 1970. He would know. 

I will always remember this and 1 day maybe I will be able to return the favor to all of them.

jmiller065

My advice

Focus on only what you can control.

~ Process is HUGE, pre-shot routine only giving your attention to the current shot / situation.

>> Forget about a previous shot / hole, don't worry about where the ball will go or an upcoming hole, only the current task.

--> With process it forces your mind into feeling like the shot is just "routine" and you have practiced it and done it 100s of times on the range / course before.

Know how the anxiety / tension effects your swing and figure out a way to negate tension.

~ Tension is a swing killer, you can't move the club the same way if you have more grip pressure / tight from nervousness.

--> A lot of people might grip the club tighter or increase there tempo during the swing to be faster. Neither is going to result in a good swing.

Play more tournaments and don't be results oriented or worried what people think about you as a player.

~ A golf score DOES NOT define you as a person.

--> Only how your actions are on the course defines you, that points out the personality not the score, handle the bad moments and good ones with class.

This is some of the best advice that I have read in my several years of participating in MGS.  Thanks jmiller!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

This is some of the best advice that I have read in my several years of participating in MGS.  Thanks jmiller!

No problem.

To add to it just for GP, Trust me when I say that I have learned this the hard way.

What changed it around for me lately is the following:

1) The concept of "Vision54", it is a thought process.

--> Every Shot Must Have a Purpose

2) Evaluating my mental state before each shot & the process more then the results of the shot.

--> I have found for me personally my bad swings are almost always coming from poor decisions or a lack of commitment to my shot selection.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I've always been a nervous person so it's something I definitely need to deal with. There was 1 guy and only 1 guy that made me even more nervous playing with and I thought I had gotten rid of him on day 2. We were supposed to be in groups of 3 but because the kid who shot an 87 withdrew we had to play with the group after us and the guy who made me nervous was in that group. 

Not a good feeling when the 3 other guys who are playing with you are fighting about which one has to sit in the cart with yours truly (no one wanted to play with me lol).

This goes back to controlling only what you can and focusing on that.

You can't control the tee time, the tee you start on, the weather, the course conditions, the pairing you get, etc.

~ You can control how you approach the round based on the above factors to still play good golf if you get something "unfavorable".

I personally will walk whenever the rules allow for it. I find in tournaments riding in a cart is a lot of hurry up and wait. With walking it slows me down enough so that once i get to my ball there isn't as much of a wait time to hit my shots.

~ If the rules let you I would personally just walked if they had a problem riding in a cart with you. That sounds stuck up as hell to me personally, so I would taken the higher road and purposely tries to slow them down by walking and getting them mentally frustrated at what I decided to do :)

Where I play - I don't fit in. I don't have money and my Dad (even being the guy who's won the most club championships) is not respected there because HE was not a wealthy person. They won't even rename the trophy after him (9 yes 9 titles and the next guy in line has 4). He was a working class hero. He came from nothing and beat everybody by pure talent alone. My membership cost me $530 bucks taxes in and it took me all year to save up for it. Crazy right? A working man with a wife and 2 kids and as small an amount that is (compared to some of you I'm sure) and it took me  A WHOLE YEAR. I've already started saving up for next season.

You can be more of a gentlemen even if they are D-Bags by acting with class and ignoring them rather then being frustrated or pissed about their opinions. it makes you the better man anyways. I have much more respect for a hard working honest man then a snobby prick that thinks they are better then others because of money / status. In fact I like making those types of people you describe skin crawl by being a gentlemen and not getting upset with their gossip. Normally, if you beat guys like that that have huge egos that's how you hurt them the most.

So it was really easy for some of my family and their friends to laugh at me -  because it didn't happen to them. I get it. I understand it. If my father was still alive, I would have asked him on how he dealt with it. They started the tourney in 1965 and my Dad first won it in 1970. He would know. 

I will always remember this and 1 day maybe I will be able to return the favor to all of them.

If your family laugh at you that's just flat out wrong, family should be supportive not the opposite. Again, a golf score / result doesn't matter truly in life anyways and the people that fell it does are pretty shallow people anyways.

There is not really a need to negatively want to get revenge. Like I said, I don't care if you don't have a nickle, my opinion of someone comes from how they carry themselves and there personality as a person not their accomplishments. If they are honest and play by the rules, never rude to me then I have MUCH more respect for that person then the guy that cheats at a game or lies to me about stupid things, is rude to me or thinks they are better then me due to materialistic s***.

Honestly, it sounds like you would be better off saving some money and golf course shopping around your area. With golf in recession a lot of clubs are running deals to gain new members. It might be a good idea to know some people at other clubs and have them introduce you to the other members. I'm more into the golf the the socialization aspect of belonging to a club. Look for that quality in the members and how the club runs.

You get different atmospheres from different memberships

1) Public :: Normally they won't run a club championship, it is more a favor for the locals that they offer yearly passes for unlimited golf / range.

2) Semi-private :: You get the benefits of a private club a lot of times but they allow public play to help reduce the cost of the membership in terms of monthly dues. I belong to a semi-private club after years of belonging to public clubs. I love the semi-private club personally. It has given me a mix of White collar, middle class, blue collar members. A few D-Bags but not really any of the guys my age mostly the "old money" older retired members might stick their nose up to me but none of them know me so whatever.

3) Private :: You really need to figure out if the membership is more about golf or socialization. It sounds like your club is a lot of "old money" and is more about socialization and you don't exactly fit into their circles. It sounds like you need a club more about golf and less about the "status".

Again, don't worry about it, forget the carp. Take the positives from the ROUND of golf and improve from there.

EDIT

My club does several divisions:

Men -- Under 55, 5 or better handicaps automatically put into this flight.

Men -- Under 55, above a 5 handicap that opts out of the Trophy / Parking spot competition (Champ Flight)

--> Technically event the 55+ guys could opt into this if they wanted.

Senior Men -- 55+

Super Senior Men -- 65+

I know the Women have at least one division not sure if they have a split on age or not.

Again, another great post. Thank you!!

But I've got to tell you guys this story. Remember when I talked about a guy who tried to dumb down my father's wins a few posts back? Well, he plays in the twilight league I'm in and we ran into him earlier in the summer. I told my partner that I really wanted to beat this guy and went on to put too much pressure on myself and we got creamed 6-2 (6 being the most you can get) Of course, being the prick that he is, he had the scorecard and asked me if the score was right knowing full well that I knew what it was to rub it in.

Well, this same guy just won the senior championship. and after beating a team who had gone 7-1, we were playing them tonight.

I read and re-read all of your posts for some inspiration and then had a long heart to heart with my Dad. I pulledup in my cart and this guy is getting ready to play in front of us with his partner and I got out of the cart,  walked straight up to him and extended my hand and said" Hey, we're not going to do this without me shaking your hand and congratulate you on your win yesterday" He could barely look me in the face and said "thanks".

Screwed up my tee shot on the first hole and we lost that hole. Next hole, par 3 about 140-145 yards, I hit my 9 iron what looked like a pretty good shot until we got there and I was 6 inches from the hole - BIRDIE. We went on, and the more we did, the more he started to struggle. We get to hole 4 and I smack another great tee shot and then a sandwedge into the green about 15 feet and make the putt - ANOTHER BIRD!  

Long story short, we beat them 4.5 to 3.5, I've seen people with high blood pressure turn red but his face was DARK RED. He had the scorecard and I leaned over to see what he was writing and he looks over and hastily says "Oh you don't need the scorecard, just go put your name on the board!" I just smiled and nodded.

I live literally 10 minutes away from my course and really have no interest in playing other courses unless of course I'm visiting there. 

My uncles...you need to know them. They meant well but were more glad to see me in that position than them. 

Next year cannot come fast enough......oh and by the way, we're playing the guy who won the club championship and is 8-0 in the regular season later this week. Winner goes to the finals  :D

Congrats on the win :)

It's rather ammusing when you can do that to an opponant simply by being the better person and not letting anything get under your skin. It tends to un-nerve them like it did your opponant because it's the opposite to what they expect.

Best of luck with the road to the finals :)

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I would just play in as many tournaments as possible.  In my first tournament, I shot 122, but now, I play better in tournaments than a casual round because I am more focused, but I still can't get rid of that stupid snap hook on the first tee of every tournament.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Again, another great post. Thank you!!

But I've got to tell you guys this story. Remember when I talked about a guy who tried to dumb down my father's wins a few posts back? Well, he plays in the twilight league I'm in and we ran into him earlier in the summer. I told my partner that I really wanted to beat this guy and went on to put too much pressure on myself and we got creamed 6-2 (6 being the most you can get) Of course, being the prick that he is, he had the scorecard and asked me if the score was right knowing full well that I knew what it was to rub it in.

In tournaments you need two signatures on the card. The Markers (your opponent) and yours (the player), in this case it happened to be that guy that was your marker. He might have just been asking to make sure he didn't get anything wrong.

When we play Carolinas Golf Association (CGA) events there is a tear-off on the bottom of the cards where you keep your own score to compare to what your marker wrote down. That way you can never get the score wrong before it gets posted on the leader board.

I live literally 10 minutes away from my course and really have no interest in playing other courses unless of course I'm visiting there.

That's fine, you'll just have to learn to smile at them and know that you are a better man / person then them as you don't show bigotry towards others due to social status, race, etc.

My uncles...you need to know them. They meant well but were more glad to see me in that position than them.

Next year cannot come fast enough......oh and by the way, we're playing the guy who won the club championship and is 8-0 in the regular season later this week. Winner goes to the finals  :D

Using the experience as a motivating factor to improve your game and work on things is the perfect outcome for the situation. Just realize that yes you will have poor holes / scores we all due including Tour players. Heck Rory had two 4 putts at the BMW and his world number 1.

Just to sort of get the point across that I'm not the best Tournament player in the world always here are some of my biggest single hole numbers in tournaments over the last two years. I have learned from trial and error, taking poor performances in events badly and moving forward.

Par 4 -- 8, Par 4 -- 9, Par 5 -- 11, Par 5 -- 13

You can dig through the bellow link if you want and look at some of the scores posted in this NC Mid-AM Qualifier that I played in late August. This is a field of guys that are 30+ in age and hold a 5.4 handicap or better. Hit the smaller + symbol to expand the cards. Highest score 97, single hole biggest score 13 on Hole 18 a Par 4.

http://www.ghintpp.com/carolinasgolf/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?ID=653

Yes, I missed by 1 stroke that's a hard pill to swallow. However, I played poorly from a physical stand point didn't have my A game more like my D game. Mentally it was a great tournament for me minus two holes. I just wanted to learn from it and move on improve for next year. I know your feelings from experience, that's sort of why I decided to give you my advice on the subject.

There is no better practice for tournaments then more tournaments.

Good Luck

Thanks so much guys for your input. I will try to play more tourneys. There's a 3 person scramble here this weekend but I can't find anybody to play with. After last weekend, I understand. Hoping that maybe someone will hear what happened last night and maybe give me another chance to play. If not, I'm not gonna sweat it. There's always tourneys in other areas if I feel like travelling. 

You need individual stroke play tournaments.

~ I personally avoid Net only tournaments, I like playing gross within flights.

--> The CGA (Carolinas Golf Assoc) One-Day events that I tend to play in a lot have a Gross & Net competition within each flight, it is a good set up given there are two flights 7.9 or better & 8.0 or higher.

I normally cut off my travel time to 1 hour for local tournaments.

~ The exceptions would be what you think, larger tournaments on a State (NC), Multiple State (Carolinas) or National Scale.

The problem with Scrambles / Best-Ball tournaments give you a false impression of your tournament ability.

~ You can lean on your teammate(s) if you have a poor hole in a best-ball / scramble format.

--> Post a big number in individual stroke play you feel very alone. It is learning to deal with adversity individually that will help you improve mentally.

You need individual stroke play tournaments.

~ I personally avoid Net only tournaments, I like playing gross within flights.

--> The CGA One-Day events that I tend to play in a lot have a Gross & Net competition within each flight, it is a good set up given their are two flights 7.9 or better & 8.0 or higher.

I normally cut off my travel time to 1 hour for local tournaments.

~ The exceptions would be what you think, larger tournaments on a State (NC), Multiple State (Carolinas) or National Scale.

The problem with Scrambles / Best-Ball tournaments give you a false impression of your tournament ability.

~ You can lean on your teammate(s) if you have a poor hole in a best-ball / scramble format.

--> Post a big number in individual stroke play you feel very alone. It is learning to deal with adversity individually that will help you improve mentally.

This.

I play in mostly individual games but some scrambles... they are totally different. You need to find events just stroke play.

Also congrats on your win... twice I was unable to beat the bully like in your case... so I'm glad to hear you beat him.. 

Just remember to always keep yourself in check and not get too emotional. always has worked for me.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Another thing to remember is usually in Club championships they course setup is way different as well. On our club championship we all played from the white tees. We have guys that shoot 67 from the black or championship tees, nobody broke 70, the winner shot 72/70. These are guys that played college golf and have played many tournaments. The course setup was ridiculous the greens were like putting on a cement floor, and almost every pin was tucked into a corner, 2 to 3 paces from the edges of the green, the course played harder from the white tees than it normally does from the black tees, it was easily 7 shots more difficult than an average day, so of course the scores for the mid and high hcp'ers were way up, 86/91 is not bad for tournament golf with your hcp. In tournament golf when it starts to get away from you it's difficult to get it back.

On Saturday of our championship I watched my friend who is. +1.6 shoot 74 from the white tees. That 6 shots from his hcp the guy shot 67 the Sunday before from the blue tees, it happens to everyone in golf. Keep at it. I had 4, 3 putts and a 4 putt, and then made a 50 footer on 18 for par. It's a crazy game, don't give up, it will get better and easier.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

They don't do many tourneys like the cc tourney. This is a small town with about 5,000 people and they have 250 members. They try to make more "fun" tourneys to get more people out which is fine and I understand that. I'll find some. My league match yesterday was the first one I played where there were literally no nerves til the end. I usually don't look at my score and try not to pay attention to it because I put them in my phone with my golf app so it's a good way to not distract me. I felt really at ease and I've got another match tomorrow against the team who is undefeated so it should be fun. The guys from that team called me and said they heard about my performance so obviously people at the club are talking about it.

I'm not going to let this get to me though. Last year, my best round was 76 and I walked around like I was God until my next round which was 86 lol. My Dad was a very competitive but humble guy and I know it's not good to try to live up to his reputation but when I'm there I feel like I'm responsible to keep that legacy going by being like him and acting like him and 1 day play like him. 

They don't do many tourneys like the cc tourney. This is a small town with about 5,000 people and they have 250 members. They try to make more "fun" tourneys to get more people out which is fine and I understand that. I'll find some. My league match yesterday was the first one I played where there were literally no nerves til the end. I usually don't look at my score and try not to pay attention to it because I put them in my phone with my golf app so it's a good way to not distract me. I felt really at ease and I've got another match tomorrow against the team who is undefeated so it should be fun. The guys from that team called me and said they heard about my performance so obviously people at the club are talking about it.

I'm not going to let this get to me though. Last year, my best round was 76 and I walked around like I was God until my next round which was 86 lol. My Dad was a very competitive but humble guy and I know it's not good to try to live up to his reputation but when I'm there I feel like I'm responsible to keep that legacy going by being like him and acting like him and 1 day play like him. 

Amen to the last part. My dad's favorite moments in life are the moments that people compliment me on the golf course. Well that and hitting an eagle to one up my birdie on the past hole.

When I was looking for a new golf bag, I purposely bought a bag with 15 dividers so that I could bring his old 7 wood with me (I took out my 4 iron to replace it). I never use it. It's just my way of having him with me on the course. 

The course was modified too. They had certain holes where we were hitting from the gold (championship) tees where we normally play the blue (men's) tees. 1 of the par 5's ended up playing maybe 560 yards!! Crazy. It goes down about 260 yards to clear the bunkers and you pretty much have to get over them because it's a dog leg left and goes back to the right and I was the only one in the group to clear it. I normally carry 250 so that was cool too. Thinking about it 2-3 days later, my putting killed me more than anything. I might have mishit 2-3 shots both rounds and it was because of bad lies. I couldn't get the ball into the hole because I was shaking. 

It was a very humbling and incredible experience. I wish I could to it all over again right now. 

The only other thing that I have to say about playing tournaments in general is bellow.

1) Have a base-line / tee shot strategy for every hole. (Par 3s what club gets you to dead center green).

~ If they have the tees painted (normally a white or yellow dot on each side of the tee box), then it becomes easy. If they have the pin locations painted (normally a very very small red dot of paint) then you have even more information make sure to stick a tee in the ground at that spot and make putts from 20 foot and in from different angle to that pin.

--> Normally they only paint locations the day before an event, sometimes they won't paint them at all. But if it is painted this makes the strategy and homework a ton easier on you.

2) Show up early the day of the tournament and study what your body has to offer that day.

~ I normally show up about 1.30 hours head of a tournament and spend 30 minutes putting, 20 minutes short game, 20 minutes range, 5 minutes putting again, off to the tee 5 minutes before my tee time. It is much much better to be early for the tee time then late. In a lot of tournaments within 5 minutes is a 2 shot penalty. 5 minutes & 1 second DQ.

--> Just figure out what works for you to take your time and not feel rushed to the first tee, i probably take more time then I need just to make sure i slow things down a lot help keep the anxiety in check of the first tee shot.

NOTE :: The last thing I do on the range is hit the club and shot I want off the first tee box visualizing it and executing. If I screw up the first time. i do it again to get positive ball flight I want in my mental picture when I need it for real.

3) Focus on only what you can control. Here is my process setting on the first tee:

~ Pre-shot routine & Execution (Data collection, Shot Selection, Visualization, One-practice swing, commit, alignment, target, fire)

~ Post-shot routine & acceptance :: This just means that you accept the results good or bad and then move on.

~ In-between shots :: I put my mind on "vacation" as much as i can thinking of things that make me happy in life, anything but golf related things.

>> Once I get back up to my next shot, I repeat the pre-shot routine process giving it my 100% attention for the 20-35 seconds it takes me to execute the shot.

For me, it helps keep me small picture, focused only on the task that is directly in front of me. Trying to make Pars, no worse then Bogey and hopefully drop in a birdie or two.

~ I write the score down between holes, know where i stand in the round then just forget about it as soon as I reach the next tee. Just keep on grinding regardless of the current score.

There is a saying "Tournament golf is played out in front of you not behind you."

~ Forget the past, stay in the present and don't worry about the future of what might be IF you do something.

--> You only control the current shot / situation nothing else so that's your focal point like I have said. It is a s*** ton easier to write about then execute though, but with practice everyone here can accomplish this.

4) Post Round, hang your head high regardless of the results.

~ You didn't cheat obviously, you didn't quit because of poor performances on a hole, you can learn from the mistakes and move forward.

--> Like i said before, a golf score NEVER defines the person, the way they conduct themselves defines that for them. A score is just a way to judge performance on that particular day in a silly little game we call golf.

If you practice the way that you want to play in tournaments then it becomes easier, you only get the anxiety on the first tee then it becomes more routine feeling.

Fairways and greens

JM

Well we got creamed tonight in our twilight league. I didn't play well (my putter has been my enemy all year and it's the only club I practice). Happy though. We beat 2 teams we had no business beating and made it to the semi-finals when we finished 6th out of 8 spots. We played against a guy who was in contention at the cc. The leader had shot 76 and he shot 77 and the next day he shot an 83. I believe he is a 2-3 handicap. I asked him what he does to calm down and he basically told me that he has been playing cc's since he was 12, playing juniors and up. The guy is probably 50 years old. That is a lot of experience! I see where he was coming from. A lot of what he told me has been said by all of you and it makes sense. I've got to find more tourneys to play in and I've got to find my "money" putter lol.

Archived