TESTERS WANTED! ×

Okay, who is banging ProV's into their range?

markb

My kid just started working as at the local course and he hates golf so he actually works and doesn't goof off.   One of his duties is to pick up the balls on the range every night.   I told him to keep a look out for ProV's amidst all the stripers and I'd swap him 2 newer Surlyns for any ProV he finds so the course isn't shorted.  (Course doesn't sort the balls, they just get washed and go back out.)

He came back with 33 pretty good ones his first night!  And this range does NOT adjoin the course so it's not catching strays over the fence.   66 Surlyns about tapped out my shag bag, so that deal is off for awhile.

But who the heck is hitting all those good ProV's at the range?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Obviously people with more dollars than sense!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I would go buy some crappy Wilson's for $5 a dozen at Wal Mart and keep that going.  It would be worth it to stock up.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Is the range next to a hole on the course?  Because sometimes the range is pretty in play on some courses.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

We don't have a range anymore......the range property was sold for an Apt complex......BTW, the course did not own the range, they leased it.  Now we only have 4 driving cages.

When we did have the range, I used to take a bag of shags and hit them, donating them to the range.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Is there water on the course?  Sometimes courses will hire a guy to pick balls from the water and just add them to the range ball stock

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Is there water on the course?  Sometimes courses will hire a guy to pick balls from the water and just add them to the range ball stock

Yes, water is on 17 holes.......and NO, you can't just wade out and pick up balls.....This is Florida.  We have Gators(not just at U of FL).  The Feb 2013 issue of GOLF magazine had an article "The Most Dangerous Job in Golf"  about a professional diver who contracts to retrieve golfballs from the waters.  He talks about the gator that attacked him at my home course, Pebble Creek.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I would go buy some crappy Wilson's for $5 a dozen at Wal Mart and keep that going.  It would be worth it to stock up.

+1 to this

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

If you get behind the Duke University Men's Golf team in a practice round, they will leave ProVs all over the place because the team gives them the balls. It is not too terribly uncommon to find a few mixed into the range bucket because the Golf Team shares the range with everyone else. When you get the balls for free, guess it doesn't really matter what you do with them :)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I'm the guy fishing them out of the ponds and creeks!   That's where I got the 66 to trade back in.   And I do hit back on the range every brand of ball I won't play.   BTW, in that same garbage can full of balls were HUNDREDS of Hex Chromes, B330's, Z-stars, 20Xi's, etc.   We didn't even bother with those.

I've done it before.  At the end of a session and I hit a bad one, I'll pull a ball or two from the bag because I like to end on a good swing.  

That said, swapping balls for the ProV's is the right move.  Lots of people would just stick them in their bag and not leave another to replace it (yes, I've seen it done lots of times by lots of people on the range, some even brag out loud about it).   That's wrong and it's stealing.  The balls, once lost, become property of the course to do as they see fit with.  If that's add them to the range, so be it.  They're not free for the taking because they're not "range" balls (meaning they don't say range on them).  It irks me when I see the behavior, I just don't say anything because that's not my place as I don't own or work for the course.  Just a pet peeve.  Glad you're swapping ball for ball (or 2 for 1 in your case).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've also done although not with a Pro VI. If I'm unhappy with my last swing I've pulled a ball or two from the bag and whacked it out. I almost always have a few lesser balls in my bag that were found on the course. I can't remember the last time I took a ball from the range bucket and if ever I have I've always swapped out something from my bag.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've done it before.  At the end of a session and I hit a bad one, I'll pull a ball or two from the bag because I like to end on a good swing.  

That said, swapping balls for the ProV's is the right move.  Lots of people would just stick them in their bag and not leave another to replace it (yes, I've seen it done lots of times by lots of people on the range, some even brag out loud about it).   That's wrong and it's stealing.  The balls, once lost, become property of the course to do as they see fit with.  If that's add them to the range, so be it.  They're not free for the taking because they're not "range" balls (meaning they don't say range on them).  It irks me when I see the behavior, I just don't say anything because that's not my place as I don't own or work for the course.  Just a pet peeve.  Glad you're swapping ball for ball (or 2 for 1 in your case).

Well, not to quibble, but I doubt that an item lost by its original owner on a public use facility actually becomes the property of the owner of the facility.   If you lose a club does it become the course's property if they pick it up before you?   If you lose your kid or wallet at Disneyland, does the Mouse get it?

Regardless, a ProV in the driving range scoopers and cleaners doesn't last long, maybe a month tops.   Even the Surlyn balls only last one year.

Yes, water is on 17 holes.......and NO, you can't just wade out and pick up balls.....This is Florida.  We have Gators(not just at U of FL).  The Feb 2013 issue of GOLF magazine had an article "The Most Dangerous Job in Golf"  about a professional diver who contracts to retrieve golfballs from the waters.  He talks about the gator that attacked him at my home course, Pebble Creek.

That was a great article.

I've seen a few pro V's on the range.. I'll usually swap them out with some junk balls. 

As a side note do courses get paid for any balls found on the course?

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Yes they do.  They will contract with divers and split the proceeds of the haul.    So of course they do claim whatever is leftover on their courses and no one disputes their claim.   But what if you lost something extra special and continued to try to find it (like a watch or cell phone) could the course keep it just because you had to walk away from it?   Can no one fish balls from the ponds they are playing because once in the drink it belongs to the course?

An interesting legal thought experiment, but probably not much of anything else.   In the past year I've probably donated 500 balls to my local range by banging them into the back net.   I figure that's a fair trade for the divots I take.

Most of my ProV1s that have met the ultimate demise of a cart path or a thinned wedge end up at my local range.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Most courses I've played have a disclaimer that lost golf balls, upon being abandoned, become the property of the course. By paying your green fees, you accept this disclaimer. Therefore, yes, it's stealing if you take the balls without permission.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've never seen any such disclaimer in my 40 years of playing, but if your courses have them, then you'd better leave your retreiver at home.

I've never seen any such disclaimer in my 40 years of playing, but if your courses have them, then you'd better leave your retreiver at home.

Yeah, ditto. 

I doubt any course would really get that mad at you for using a retriever... unless you're holding up someone... then I think it's a totally different case.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'm the guy fishing them out of the ponds and creeks!   That's where I got the 66 to trade back in.   And I do hit back on the range every brand of ball I won't play.   BTW, in that same garbage can full of balls were HUNDREDS of Hex Chromes, B330's, Z-stars, 20Xi's, etc.   We didn't even bother with those.

I have over the years tried just about every premium ball. I use the ball that gives me the best performance. For me that happens to be the Z-Star currently. If you want to send me the Z-Star you find I'll be more then happy to take them ;)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Another way to give back is to donate the other balls to the first tee or similar program, in sure they could use them.

Thanks Lefty,  That is the best suggestion to date.  I usually just add any found balls(found in water or hazards) to my 5 gallon bucket in the garage.  The bucket is where two of my grandsons come to get extra balls.  Most of them are in great shape, just not the balls that I am playing.  Lefty, you got me thinking, that maybe I should give 1/2 of my garage stash to the First Tee.

Another way to give back is to donate the other balls to the first tee or similar program, in sure they could use them.

Over the course of a golf season I collect a bunch of balls that I just simply won't play and keep them in a tub in my basement.  Usually once or twice a season I load up the tub and take it to a local track that has a great junior program and donate them.  Good way to clean out my basement and the program is really happy to have them for some of the juniors that can't really afford to buy the balls.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

At the two courses I play at, one likes to get its range balls sponsored by Pepsi (basically free to the course).   These balls seem to be de-flighted and its amazing how fast they wear out.   It's September and the 2014's are already toast.  Out of a medium bucket, you have to throw out about 3 or 4 cracked goners every time.

The other range is where my son works.  The pro refuses to take sponsored range balls.   Instead he occasionally buys paint striped found balls from a service and he accepts leftovers fished from his ponds or whoever wants to throw them in.  He also has a much bigger stock of existing balls and his range overall gets much lighter use.  But about 20% of his total balls are not striped donor balls.  Oddly, his balls last MUCH longer because they are top flites and mojos etc. and not these new cheaper and almost disposable range balls.  

Has anyone encountered these new sponsored cheap balls I'm talking about.   They are garbage.

Good post all the way around. My home course we find a lot of preminum balls in the range balls in the tourist season especially. We do have two holes that border our range. When I do hit on the range if I find a ball I like I do a swap I have so many balls that if I go over there late and the pro shop is closed I will hit 20 or 30 of my shag balls out there for them to keep. Down here you can tell what balls are on sale at the time because you will find a lot of them used to be Rock Flites but now mostly Mojos. Balls are cheap and plentiful down here all these old retirees that live on the course walk in the evenings and hawk balls. Surprisingly a lot of folks live on a course and dont even play golf. I befriended a couple a few years She asked me one day if I wanted some golf balls that they did not play golf and they were in the way. They lived (they passed a year ago)on the second hole of a course and a lot of balls got sliced in their yard. I went over there figgured they had a hundred or so. OH heck they had lived there 10 years and they had 6 5gal buckets full. I tried to pay her for them but they said absolutely not just please bring the buckets back. I loaded them up and dumped them out in a old bathtub I have in the storage building. I ended up with a lot of balls the same way. I did donate quite a few last year to a service organization that sends them overseas to our troops. I also donated clubs to the same people

I have been lucky and ended up with a lot of balls over the years so I do try to pass on my good fortune

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Way to go Stu.......you are most gracious.

Archived