markb

Okay, who is banging ProV's into their range?

I've never seen any such disclaimer in my 40 years of playing, but if your courses have them, then you'd better leave your retreiver at home.

Yeah, ditto. 

I doubt any course would really get that mad at you for using a retriever... unless you're holding up someone... then I think it's a totally different case.

I'm the guy fishing them out of the ponds and creeks!   That's where I got the 66 to trade back in.   And I do hit back on the range every brand of ball I won't play.   BTW, in that same garbage can full of balls were HUNDREDS of Hex Chromes, B330's, Z-stars, 20Xi's, etc.   We didn't even bother with those.

I have over the years tried just about every premium ball. I use the ball that gives me the best performance. For me that happens to be the Z-Star currently. If you want to send me the Z-Star you find I'll be more then happy to take them ;)

Another way to give back is to donate the other balls to the first tee or similar program, in sure they could use them.

Thanks Lefty,  That is the best suggestion to date.  I usually just add any found balls(found in water or hazards) to my 5 gallon bucket in the garage.  The bucket is where two of my grandsons come to get extra balls.  Most of them are in great shape, just not the balls that I am playing.  Lefty, you got me thinking, that maybe I should give 1/2 of my garage stash to the First Tee.

Another way to give back is to donate the other balls to the first tee or similar program, in sure they could use them.

Over the course of a golf season I collect a bunch of balls that I just simply won't play and keep them in a tub in my basement.  Usually once or twice a season I load up the tub and take it to a local track that has a great junior program and donate them.  Good way to clean out my basement and the program is really happy to have them for some of the juniors that can't really afford to buy the balls.

At the two courses I play at, one likes to get its range balls sponsored by Pepsi (basically free to the course).   These balls seem to be de-flighted and its amazing how fast they wear out.   It's September and the 2014's are already toast.  Out of a medium bucket, you have to throw out about 3 or 4 cracked goners every time.

The other range is where my son works.  The pro refuses to take sponsored range balls.   Instead he occasionally buys paint striped found balls from a service and he accepts leftovers fished from his ponds or whoever wants to throw them in.  He also has a much bigger stock of existing balls and his range overall gets much lighter use.  But about 20% of his total balls are not striped donor balls.  Oddly, his balls last MUCH longer because they are top flites and mojos etc. and not these new cheaper and almost disposable range balls.  

Has anyone encountered these new sponsored cheap balls I'm talking about.   They are garbage.

Good post all the way around. My home course we find a lot of preminum balls in the range balls in the tourist season especially. We do have two holes that border our range. When I do hit on the range if I find a ball I like I do a swap I have so many balls that if I go over there late and the pro shop is closed I will hit 20 or 30 of my shag balls out there for them to keep. Down here you can tell what balls are on sale at the time because you will find a lot of them used to be Rock Flites but now mostly Mojos. Balls are cheap and plentiful down here all these old retirees that live on the course walk in the evenings and hawk balls. Surprisingly a lot of folks live on a course and dont even play golf. I befriended a couple a few years She asked me one day if I wanted some golf balls that they did not play golf and they were in the way. They lived (they passed a year ago)on the second hole of a course and a lot of balls got sliced in their yard. I went over there figgured they had a hundred or so. OH heck they had lived there 10 years and they had 6 5gal buckets full. I tried to pay her for them but they said absolutely not just please bring the buckets back. I loaded them up and dumped them out in a old bathtub I have in the storage building. I ended up with a lot of balls the same way. I did donate quite a few last year to a service organization that sends them overseas to our troops. I also donated clubs to the same people

I have been lucky and ended up with a lot of balls over the years so I do try to pass on my good fortune