TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing Through

sp0rtsfan86

Forget about ranting I want to know what you're opinion is on playing through... 

Almost 3/4 times I play alone...and generally in under 2.5 hours driving and 3 walking. Needless to say I usually end up playing through once or twice a round... In one infamous round I played 9 holes in an hour playing through 8 groups... including two on a par 3 but that's besides the point. ... So I've yet to find a consensus on the best way to play through.

There's plenty of questions with playing though: Is it up to the person behind to ask permission or should the group in front offer if the person is a single and playing right behind them? How about if the person is walking and the group of 4 is riding? What if the single trailing a foursome stinks and would take 3 holes to clear? Should you just skip the hole?

Then there's this: What if it's a group behind instead of just a single, how does that change the equation.

My thoughts are this:

If you're in a group of 3 or more and see a single you should ask within one hole if the single would like to play through. For instance If your putting on 8 and the single is in the fairway, before teeing off hole 10 if the single is still right behind, you offer. IF the single wants to play through before that, it's up to him/her to ask. If a single is walking and the group is riding and keeping up, then same rules apply.  If the single drops multiple balls, then the rule goes away. 

With a group behind another group you follow the rule of two.  if there's two more members in the first group than in the second it's up to them to offer. So for instance a group of 4 should ask a group of 2 behind them if they want to play through.. while a group of 3 with a group of 2 behind them wouldn't have to offer and would be up to the group of 2 behind them to ask.

I know it's simple but figured it's a start. Oh last rule: If I'm behind you always allow me to play through : )

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Nothing worse than the group in front being asses and not letting you play through, even though they are 2 holes behind. My Sunday partner and I encounter it often.

The group in front should be the ones to initiate it. If they don't within a reasonable time frame, tell them you are playing through...we do.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I never ask to play through,  I just wait patiently hoping the group ahead will ask.  Usually it works out fine but occasionally it makes for a long round.  If that does happen and someone catches up with me,  I will ask if they would just like to play along.  If my group is playing and it's wide open or a couple holes open ahead,  we will always let them play through.  However,  if it's busy and every hole is packed it's pointless. 

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

For me it doesn't matter how many are in each group.  If the group behind is playing faster than the group in front then the group in front should offer to let them play through.  Of course this is assuming there are empty holes ahead of that front group.  My rule is if the group behind is on the green while the group in front is still on the tee box then wait and let them play through.

The front group should all hit their tee shots and then wait for the group behind and let them go.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

90% of all my rounds are played as a walking single (like I've said elsewhere, golf is dying out here, there is no one on the courses).   So I play through alot.  My rules of thumb are these:

1.  The trailing group NEVER asks to play through, the leading group must always offer.  

2.  If the trailing group doesn't actually catch the leading group on a tee box, the leading group need not ever offer.

2.  If the trailing group does catch the leading group on a tee box, the leading group must either tender an invitation to play through or with them, or give an explanation as to why slow play can't be avoided, or why it's senseless to play through.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

There aren't many singles in Florida.......Here the courses are very busy on Saturday & Sunday.  Occassionally, late on Sunday afternoons, there may be a single.....Usually, if my group is not full, we simply ask the single to join us.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

As a single, I don't like to ask to play through because I feel it's the responsibility of group in front to ask.  It's a little different during the week vs the weekend. During the week, I expect to play rather quickly and the course is usually open, so I play through a lot.  When my wife and I play on the weekend, we expect it to be slow so we either play early/late when there are less people or we just relax and enjoy the outdoors.  

The course I played this last weekend kept putting out twosomes and they never paired up.  We had a foursome and we were the first group after the morning gangsome where they all had their own carts, so there were open holes in front of us after the first few holes.  We were not playing slowly (4 hour round walking).  But that round could easily have been 5 hours if we had let all of the twosomes play through.  We let one group play through at the turn because they didn't stop, but none of the groups were ever off the green before we were off the tee.  I cannot imagine how long it would take a group of duffers to play a round.  They would have to let a group play through every hole or two!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I am the one wanting to play through I usually ask if I haven't been offered by the 3rd hole that I've waited on.

If I'm in the slow group I will usually offer within one or two holes depending on where we are on the hole.

If I know them or they are a single and we have room I always offer them to play through or with. You never know when you'll meet a new golf buddy.

If the course is packed I usually engage the group in conversation and explain that we would let them go through but they would just be waiting on the 8 groups ahead of us.

Usually they understand, many of them I see as singles or doubles start playing two balls at a time.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

In my opinion, its always the responsibility of the group ahead to make the decision.  If they are not keeping up with the groups ahead of them, its their responsibility to invite a faster group to go through, even if it means a twosome inviting a foursome to play though.  If they ARE keeping up, there is no obligation to invite anyone to play through, although i think its polite to explain what's going on.  Having said that, I think there should always be some flexibility.  If the "ahead group" know that there are just two or three groups ahead, and then a big gap, it may make sense to invite a single or two-ball to go past, hoping they can get past the log-jam, If the course is full, its always appropriate to invite a group to pair up with mine, as long as there's room.  I think that for a single to play a crowded course and expect to play through all the time is unrealistic.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

There aren't many singles in Florida.......Here the courses are very busy on Saturday & Sunday.  Occassionally, late on Sunday afternoons, there may be a single.....Usually, if my group is not full, we simply ask the single to join us.

This is true on our side of the Bay also.  I can't recall the last time that I was in a foursome with an open hole in front of me and a single behind me.  Most courses here will automatically pair up singles and two somes.  In fact many courses don't allow singles out except well after Twighlight.

I hate to be the poopy nose guy but singles do not have the right of way on the course so that's a complicating factor to this thread.  Having written that I would let one through if there were an open hole and I was in a foursome.  I can't recall the last time that happened though.

In regards to the proper etiquette it is the reasponsibility of the trailing group to invite the faster group to play through.  They are the ones who actually know whether or not there is a hole open, whether or not they've slowed down because of a bad hole, if they will be able to pick up the pace, etc., etc.  Again though having written that I will ask a slower group to play through if I think it's appropriate - I'm always polite and if they say no, it's no.  Normally they'll say yes though.  I'll also explain to a group behind us why if we aren't inviting them to play through - there's nothing worse than a group pressing from behind when there's no where to go because of a group ahead. 

While we're on this topic does anyone know why the practice of calling groups up on a par 3 was suspended?  I notice that this often happens on the PGA tour with drivable par 4's.  Is it simply a matter of safety?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There aren't many singles in Florida.......

I beg to differ....I have been to the Villages and I was the man with the older single women.

Oh, wait you meant on the golf course:)

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Group in front needs to be the one that offers, although thats only when they are trailling behind and holding people up in my opinion. Ive had instances where people have rudely requested to play through despite the fact that we are waiting on every shot for the group in front, and that is repeated for the next few groups. If there is space in front of us we will let them through but if its bumper to bumper I don't really see the point.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

This is true on our side of the Bay also.  I can't recall the last time that I was in a foursome with an open hole in front of me and a single behind me.  Most courses here will automatically pair up singles and two somes.  In fact many courses don't allow singles out except well after Twighlight.

I hate to be the poopy nose guy but singles do not have the right of way on the course so that's a complicating factor to this thread.  Having written that I would let one through if there were an open hole and I was in a foursome.  I can't recall the last time that happened though.

In regards to the proper etiquette it is the reasponsibility of the trailing group to invite the faster group to play through.  They are the ones who actually know whether or not there is a hole open, whether or not they've slowed down because of a bad hole, if they will be able to pick up the pace, etc., etc.  Again though having written that I will ask a slower group to play through if I think it's appropriate - I'm always polite and if they say no, it's no.  Normally they'll say yes though.  I'll also explain to a group behind us why if we aren't inviting them to play through - there's nothing worse than a group pressing from behind when there's no where to go because of a group ahead. 

While we're on this topic does anyone know why the practice of calling groups up on a par 3 was suspended?  I notice that this often happens on the PGA tour with drivable par 4's.  Is it simply a matter of safety?

I don't know why that has been suspended.  I think that's the easiest time... you can drive up... putt and head to the tee box while they putt out. 

I'll be honest I'm not shocked at what you all saying but I am shocked that it's so unanimous the group in front should offer. One of the hardest things I've noticed playing as a single is that many groups will not want you to join up but rather play through if the course is open. I usually much prefer that to playing with 2-3 randoms for 7-8 holes. 

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/golf-etiquette-101/

The USGA suggests that a group that loses a clear hole in front, and is delaying another group, the first group should invite the faster group through.  The group behind can't always see whether there's space in front, but the lead group can tell if they're falling behind, so they're the logical group to make the determination.

If I'm in a 3-ball, holding up a single, and there's room in front, I'll always invite the single to either play through or join my group, his (or her) choice.  If the course is full, I'll invite the single to join, but there's no reason to invite him through if there's no place to go.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/golf-etiquette-101/

The USGA suggests that a group that loses a clear hole in front, and is delaying another group, the first group should invite the faster group through.  The group behind can't always see whether there's space in front, but the lead group can tell if they're falling behind, so they're the logical group to make the determination.

If I'm in a 3-ball, holding up a single, and there's room in front, I'll always invite the single to either play through or join my group, his (or her) choice.  If the course is full, I'll invite the single to join, but there's no reason to invite him through if there's no place to go.

Exactly - I always give the group behind me an explanation as to why we aren't letting them through if they are pushing us.  Experience has taught that often times they are unaware that there is a group in front holding my group up.

BTW I was unaware that the rule book has been amended and that singles are now consider a valid match on the golf course.  Therefore all rules of etiquette apply.  Regardless I would always invite a single to join or play through where applicable anyway.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Around here, 1's and 2's aren't unusual, but the rules are 4's dictate pace of play, meaning that there is no obligation to allow play through. If you are going out was a 1 or 2 here, it is accepted that you may end up waiting.  Being allowed to play through is a courtesy thing, not an obligation. 

That said, when I am in a position of letting someone play through (which I often am when I take my wife or kids out) we do everything we can reasonably do to accommodate the 1's and 2's that are playing faster than we are.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

revkev, I'm with you, I was taught from my beginnings in golf (in the late 60s) that singles had no standing on the golf course, no "rights" so to speak.  I didn't realize anything had changed until I googled the issue, and found out that the wording was changed in the 2004 issue of the Rules of Golf.  A single player is explicitly considered a "group", with all the rights and obligations that term implies. 

The biggest thing in my mind is the consideration of others.  I invite faster players through, I repair ball marks, pick up trash (even when its not mine), and generally try to behave as a gentleman.  That's what being a "golfer" means to me.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I didn't take the time to read everyone's post, so forgive me if i repeat something someone else has said, my thoughts on playing through May tick a few people off, if you come out as a single or 2 and the course is full there is now way you are playing through, of I am always waiting to hit my shot, there is absolutely no reason to let anyone go through. If there is a gap between the group in front of me and myself I will let anyone play through, but I assure you when I play there is never a gap in front of me, so there will be no instance for anyone to play through. If the '4'some is waiting you can wait to. Here is why I say you will not catch me if there is a gap in front of me, my nephew, my buddy, and myself played our course on a Friday from the blue tees , it took 2 hours and 10 min. For 3 of us. When you go to the course as a single you are not entitled to play through. If the course is open it is up to the people in front of you to offer.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Hmm. interesting. If I play as a single I usually can speed my way through in 2.5 hours or less. If a group of 3 is playing at that pace... I'd have no problem hanging out behind. I've very rarely ever seen it which is why I'm so used to either playing through or having to wait. Hell if A threesome was playing as fast as I do as a single, I'd pick up a beer at the bar for them.

Hmm. interesting. If I play as a single I usually can speed my way through in 2.5 hours or less. If a group of 3 is playing at that pace... I'd have no problem hanging out behind. I've very rarely ever seen it which is why I'm so used to either playing through or having to wait. Hell if A threesome was playing as fast as I do as a single, I'd pick up a beer at the bar for them.

We played very fast. The biggest issue I have with singles is when the go out knowing that the course is slow, and they still expect to play through everyone, as if they were entitled. Last weekend we had three in our group and there we'd 2 sets of 2 right behind us, we as three were waiting on every shot, the 2'somes were on us all day, but nowhere to go. We were trying to figure out why they did t just join up as 4 and meet new people.

We played very fast. The biggest issue I have with singles is when the go out knowing that the course is slow, and they still expect to play through everyone, as if they were entitled. Last weekend we had three in our group and there we'd 2 sets of 2 right behind us, we as three were waiting on every shot, the 2'somes were on us all day, but nowhere to go. We were trying to figure out why they did t just join up as 4 and meet new people.

I'd much rather play in a foursome at a constant pace than play as a twosome waiting on every shot.  But I see it all the time.  I think it has mostly to do with people not being comfortable with their game in front of strangers.  It's one of those things though if you do it often enough, I think it makes you a better player.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played yesterday as a walking single and I'll be danged if a threesome in carts came roaring right up my hindquarters.   They were that rare, prepped group of ready golfers, who went straight to their shots and hit.   When one guy was done, he rode his cart forward before the other guys had hit.  So not wanting to get passed, I zoomed ahead until I hit the single in front of me.   No extra shots, we picked up our two footers, never took the flag out etc.   Still it was all we could do to keep ahead of them!   We then hit the threesome in front of us on 6 and that was the end of the zooming    But we played 9 in about an hour and a quarter.

I don't think any trailing group, be they single, double or what have you, ever thinks of playing through if they can see the clog ahead.   But a courteous leading group will always explain that they've hit the clog and there's no where to go.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I play as a single a lot but I rarely ever play through. Mainly because I'm never in a rush when on the course. As long as the group ahead of me isn't messing around and taking all day I'm fine with waiting and enjoying the weather and course

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I play as a single a lot but I rarely ever play through. Mainly because I'm never in a rush when on the course. As long as the group ahead of me isn't messing around and taking all day I'm fine with waiting and enjoying the weather and course

You are fun to play with so by all means offer to share yourself with others!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I play by myself most of the time so if I can join up with others I'd love it. 

I've been behind a few fast 4 some that redefine "ready golf", I think they make the turn in less than 1.5 hr.  They get to their shots and just hit, no wait for the others to line up their shots or putt out.  Awesome!

As I read this,I realize that there are 2 types of golfers that go out as singles. The first one is like Mr. Theoo, just out having a good time, and they get asked to play through they will, if not, it's no big deal, then there is type 2, the guy that thinks that because he is a single, he should be able to dictate where, how and when he shall play through, I think that the majority in this thread get fed up with the type 2 people.

revkev, I'm with you, I was taught from my beginnings in golf (in the late 60s) that singles had no standing on the golf course, no "rights" so to speak.  I didn't realize anything had changed until I googled the issue, and found out that the wording was changed in the 2004 issue of the Rules of Golf.  A single player is explicitly considered a "group", with all the rights and obligations that term implies. 

The biggest thing in my mind is the consideration of others.  I invite faster players through, I repair ball marks, pick up trash (even when its not mine), and generally try to behave as a gentleman.  That's what being a "golfer" means to me.

Very well said

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As I read this,I realize that there are 2 types of golfers that go out as singles. The first one is like Mr. Theoo, just out having a good time, and they get asked to play through they will, if not, it's no big deal, then there is type 2, the guy that thinks that because he is a single, he should be able to dictate where, how and when he shall play through, I think that the majority in this thread get fed up with the type 2 people.

I'm type 2, mostly because the courses and times I choose to play I expect to play through. For instance in the middle of summer I often start at 3-4 PM and play through the hottest part of summer. Record heat day... perfect, I'll be done in 2.5-3 hours walking. However, I'd also like to point out, there's plenty of times I go to the course and find out it's jammed and don't expect to play through, but rather slam into a group and join up or have to lag back. 

I sum it up this way: If the course is empty and I'm a single, let me play through, if there's a clog and no where to go, let me join you or a group of 3 ahead of you. If there' only 4somes, I blame the starter for letting me go out as a single, when I probably should have been told to hang out and wait on 3 others to join.

• 2 weeks later...

Walking, single, senior. ....Talk about having the plague!!

Haven't seen another walker in at least 6 months (tough walk).     My m. o. is before I hit my second shot I check the tee and if anyone is there,  I'll wave them up. I move off to the side (as my ball is always in the center of the fairway) and let the blast away. Trouble is most people will hurry (being polite) to get by you. I usually don't have enough time to get through my routine before I hear them rumbling up behind, so I wait while they all jump out blast away again jump back in and (usually) with waves all around they are off in a cloud of flying grass clippings. Anyone see a crime here? Well I guess you have to be a regular walker to see it. I have given them 10 min. to tee off and another 10 min to find their second shots then chip on and or putt out and clear the green. Now  I can start my routine again. First order of business..............that's right check the tee again. Actually I've checked the tee long before that, but you get my point. My gripe is why didn't they invite me to play my second shot when they were playing theirs? If they had and by the time I got to my third shot they would usually be long gone or darn near, and with an inconvenience to no one. Now it's true I'm old and retired with nothing to do but go home and mow the lawn,............but they didn't know that I coulda had a date!!

Archived