TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing Through

sp0rtsfan86

Walking, single, senior. ....Talk about having the plague!!

Haven't seen another walker in at least 6 months (tough walk).     My m. o. is before I hit my second shot I check the tee and if anyone is there,  I'll wave them up. I move off to the side (as my ball is always in the center of the fairway) and let the blast away. Trouble is most people will hurry (being polite) to get by you. I usually don't have enough time to get through my routine before I hear them rumbling up behind, so I wait while they all jump out blast away again jump back in and (usually) with waves all around they are off in a cloud of flying grass clippings. Anyone see a crime here? Well I guess you have to be a regular walker to see it. I have given them 10 min. to tee off and another 10 min to find their second shots then chip on and or putt out and clear the green. Now  I can start my routine again. First order of business..............that's right check the tee again. Actually I've checked the tee long before that, but you get my point. My gripe is why didn't they invite me to play my second shot when they were playing theirs? If they had and by the time I got to my third shot they would usually be long gone or darn near, and with an inconvenience to no one. Now it's true I'm old and retired with nothing to do but go home and mow the lawn,............but they didn't know that I coulda had a date!!

it's funny. I know the feeling but from the opposite end. I'm very quick, but sometimes my drives/second shots leave something to be desired... usually I just pick up rather than keep them waiting. It's not fun to have people waiting on you... 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Walking, single, senior. ....Talk about having the plague!!

Haven't seen another walker in at least 6 months (tough walk).     My m. o. is before I hit my second shot I check the tee and if anyone is there,  I'll wave them up. I move off to the side (as my ball is always in the center of the fairway) and let the blast away. Trouble is most people will hurry (being polite) to get by you. I usually don't have enough time to get through my routine before I hear them rumbling up behind, so I wait while they all jump out blast away again jump back in and (usually) with waves all around they are off in a cloud of flying grass clippings. Anyone see a crime here? Well I guess you have to be a regular walker to see it. I have given them 10 min. to tee off and another 10 min to find their second shots then chip on and or putt out and clear the green. Now  I can start my routine again. First order of business..............that's right check the tee again. Actually I've checked the tee long before that, but you get my point. My gripe is why didn't they invite me to play my second shot when they were playing theirs? If they had and by the time I got to my third shot they would usually be long gone or darn near, and with an inconvenience to no one. Now it's true I'm old and retired with nothing to do but go home and mow the lawn,............but they didn't know that I coulda had a date!!

First of all Walkin, welcome to MGS.  Glad to see you are still walking after retiring!

It can be tough to walk a course when most people are riding.  I have done it where you let one group play through, play one more hole and there is another group behind you again.  As a single, I can usually keep up with a 3- or 4-some in carts.  But if it is open in front of me, I will let carts play through.  However, it can be a long day if you let carts play through every other hole.  

Also, the courses in my area all allow walkers, but it can be dangerous.  People in carts seem to only "see" people in other carts, not the walkers.  I have had people tee off behind me while I wait in the fairway because they saw the carts of the group in front of me by the green.  Of course they always apologize.  Didn't see me.  But then in another hole or two, they do the same thing!  

Best of luck, and I hope you had a date!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the welcome.

I've actually been here for a while just don't say much. Truthfully it's not really a big deal (letting groups through), as me and the dog do this most everyday mostly for the exercise 

Cart people can easily keep the flow going but walkers have to be mindful of people suddenly behind you. Once in awhile when I want to keep playing I can control the flow so to speak. Example....  I call you up and invite you to play on through after I hit my shot, and just before I get to the green (and you're long gone) I wave the next group up, I then finish up and by that time the group behind has caught up and is ready to putt out. I usually tell them something like I'm gonna  go tee off then I'll wait for you to tee off and then you can be on your way. You can play like that all day and everyone's happy. Happy that you let them thru and not wanting  them to join you thus slowing them down. I guess what I'm saying is nobody wants a Volkswagen in a Corvette race. Although I did have an Austin Healey once that got blown away by a Volkswagen.....yeah don't ask. 

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess what I'm saying is nobody wants a Volkswagen in a Corvette race. Although I did have an Austin Healey once that got blown away by a Volkswagen.....yeah don't ask.

Good for you. I would be surprised if it was a 3000, but a Sprite... Yes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The rule at our local courses is this:

If a group or single catches up to you or your group, and there is an open hole ahead of you, you must let the group play through. 

To me, I will always let people play through as long as there is a hole open. If the course is backed up because it is busy, and everyone is waiting at a hole anyway, there is really no sense in playing through. you will just be waiting again at the next hole anyway. 

"If you're in a hurry on a golf course, you're in the wrong place"

Archived