Playing Through

sp0rtsfan86

Hmm. interesting. If I play as a single I usually can speed my way through in 2.5 hours or less. If a group of 3 is playing at that pace... I'd have no problem hanging out behind. I've very rarely ever seen it which is why I'm so used to either playing through or having to wait. Hell if A threesome was playing as fast as I do as a single, I'd pick up a beer at the bar for them.

We played very fast. The biggest issue I have with singles is when the go out knowing that the course is slow, and they still expect to play through everyone, as if they were entitled. Last weekend we had three in our group and there we'd 2 sets of 2 right behind us, we as three were waiting on every shot, the 2'somes were on us all day, but nowhere to go. We were trying to figure out why they did t just join up as 4 and meet new people.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

We played very fast. The biggest issue I have with singles is when the go out knowing that the course is slow, and they still expect to play through everyone, as if they were entitled. Last weekend we had three in our group and there we'd 2 sets of 2 right behind us, we as three were waiting on every shot, the 2'somes were on us all day, but nowhere to go. We were trying to figure out why they did t just join up as 4 and meet new people.

I'd much rather play in a foursome at a constant pace than play as a twosome waiting on every shot.  But I see it all the time.  I think it has mostly to do with people not being comfortable with their game in front of strangers.  It's one of those things though if you do it often enough, I think it makes you a better player.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played yesterday as a walking single and I'll be danged if a threesome in carts came roaring right up my hindquarters.   They were that rare, prepped group of ready golfers, who went straight to their shots and hit.   When one guy was done, he rode his cart forward before the other guys had hit.  So not wanting to get passed, I zoomed ahead until I hit the single in front of me.   No extra shots, we picked up our two footers, never took the flag out etc.   Still it was all we could do to keep ahead of them!   We then hit the threesome in front of us on 6 and that was the end of the zooming    But we played 9 in about an hour and a quarter.

I don't think any trailing group, be they single, double or what have you, ever thinks of playing through if they can see the clog ahead.   But a courteous leading group will always explain that they've hit the clog and there's no where to go.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I play as a single a lot but I rarely ever play through. Mainly because I'm never in a rush when on the course. As long as the group ahead of me isn't messing around and taking all day I'm fine with waiting and enjoying the weather and course

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I play as a single a lot but I rarely ever play through. Mainly because I'm never in a rush when on the course. As long as the group ahead of me isn't messing around and taking all day I'm fine with waiting and enjoying the weather and course

You are fun to play with so by all means offer to share yourself with others!

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I play by myself most of the time so if I can join up with others I'd love it. 

I've been behind a few fast 4 some that redefine "ready golf", I think they make the turn in less than 1.5 hr.  They get to their shots and just hit, no wait for the others to line up their shots or putt out.  Awesome!

As I read this,I realize that there are 2 types of golfers that go out as singles. The first one is like Mr. Theoo, just out having a good time, and they get asked to play through they will, if not, it's no big deal, then there is type 2, the guy that thinks that because he is a single, he should be able to dictate where, how and when he shall play through, I think that the majority in this thread get fed up with the type 2 people.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

revkev, I'm with you, I was taught from my beginnings in golf (in the late 60s) that singles had no standing on the golf course, no "rights" so to speak.  I didn't realize anything had changed until I googled the issue, and found out that the wording was changed in the 2004 issue of the Rules of Golf.  A single player is explicitly considered a "group", with all the rights and obligations that term implies. 

The biggest thing in my mind is the consideration of others.  I invite faster players through, I repair ball marks, pick up trash (even when its not mine), and generally try to behave as a gentleman.  That's what being a "golfer" means to me.

Very well said

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

As I read this,I realize that there are 2 types of golfers that go out as singles. The first one is like Mr. Theoo, just out having a good time, and they get asked to play through they will, if not, it's no big deal, then there is type 2, the guy that thinks that because he is a single, he should be able to dictate where, how and when he shall play through, I think that the majority in this thread get fed up with the type 2 people.

I'm type 2, mostly because the courses and times I choose to play I expect to play through. For instance in the middle of summer I often start at 3-4 PM and play through the hottest part of summer. Record heat day... perfect, I'll be done in 2.5-3 hours walking. However, I'd also like to point out, there's plenty of times I go to the course and find out it's jammed and don't expect to play through, but rather slam into a group and join up or have to lag back. 

I sum it up this way: If the course is empty and I'm a single, let me play through, if there's a clog and no where to go, let me join you or a group of 3 ahead of you. If there' only 4somes, I blame the starter for letting me go out as a single, when I probably should have been told to hang out and wait on 3 others to join.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 weeks later...

Walking, single, senior. ....Talk about having the plague!!

Haven't seen another walker in at least 6 months (tough walk).     My m. o. is before I hit my second shot I check the tee and if anyone is there,  I'll wave them up. I move off to the side (as my ball is always in the center of the fairway) and let the blast away. Trouble is most people will hurry (being polite) to get by you. I usually don't have enough time to get through my routine before I hear them rumbling up behind, so I wait while they all jump out blast away again jump back in and (usually) with waves all around they are off in a cloud of flying grass clippings. Anyone see a crime here? Well I guess you have to be a regular walker to see it. I have given them 10 min. to tee off and another 10 min to find their second shots then chip on and or putt out and clear the green. Now  I can start my routine again. First order of business..............that's right check the tee again. Actually I've checked the tee long before that, but you get my point. My gripe is why didn't they invite me to play my second shot when they were playing theirs? If they had and by the time I got to my third shot they would usually be long gone or darn near, and with an inconvenience to no one. Now it's true I'm old and retired with nothing to do but go home and mow the lawn,............but they didn't know that I coulda had a date!!

Haven't seen another walker in at least 6 months (tough walk).     My m. o. is before I hit my second shot I check the tee and if anyone is there,  I'll wave them up. I move off to the side (as my ball is always in the center of the fairway) and let the blast away. Trouble is most people will hurry (being polite) to get by you. I usually don't have enough time to get through my routine before I hear them rumbling up behind, so I wait while they all jump out blast away again jump back in and (usually) with waves all around they are off in a cloud of flying grass clippings. Anyone see a crime here? Well I guess you have to be a regular walker to see it. I have given them 10 min. to tee off and another 10 min to find their second shots then chip on and or putt out and clear the green. Now  I can start my routine again. First order of business..............that's right check the tee again. Actually I've checked the tee long before that, but you get my point. My gripe is why didn't they invite me to play my second shot when they were playing theirs? If they had and by the time I got to my third shot they would usually be long gone or darn near, and with an inconvenience to no one. Now it's true I'm old and retired with nothing to do but go home and mow the lawn,............but they didn't know that I coulda had a date!!

it's funny. I know the feeling but from the opposite end. I'm very quick, but sometimes my drives/second shots leave something to be desired... usually I just pick up rather than keep them waiting. It's not fun to have people waiting on you... 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

First of all Walkin, welcome to MGS.  Glad to see you are still walking after retiring!

It can be tough to walk a course when most people are riding.  I have done it where you let one group play through, play one more hole and there is another group behind you again.  As a single, I can usually keep up with a 3- or 4-some in carts.  But if it is open in front of me, I will let carts play through.  However, it can be a long day if you let carts play through every other hole.  

Also, the courses in my area all allow walkers, but it can be dangerous.  People in carts seem to only "see" people in other carts, not the walkers.  I have had people tee off behind me while I wait in the fairway because they saw the carts of the group in front of me by the green.  Of course they always apologize.  Didn't see me.  But then in another hole or two, they do the same thing!  

Best of luck, and I hope you had a date!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the welcome.

I've actually been here for a while just don't say much. Truthfully it's not really a big deal (letting groups through), as me and the dog do this most everyday mostly for the exercise 

Cart people can easily keep the flow going but walkers have to be mindful of people suddenly behind you. Once in awhile when I want to keep playing I can control the flow so to speak. Example....  I call you up and invite you to play on through after I hit my shot, and just before I get to the green (and you're long gone) I wave the next group up, I then finish up and by that time the group behind has caught up and is ready to putt out. I usually tell them something like I'm gonna  go tee off then I'll wait for you to tee off and then you can be on your way. You can play like that all day and everyone's happy. Happy that you let them thru and not wanting  them to join you thus slowing them down. I guess what I'm saying is nobody wants a Volkswagen in a Corvette race. Although I did have an Austin Healey once that got blown away by a Volkswagen.....yeah don't ask. 

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess what I'm saying is nobody wants a Volkswagen in a Corvette race. Although I did have an Austin Healey once that got blown away by a Volkswagen.....yeah don't ask.

Good for you. I would be surprised if it was a 3000, but a Sprite... Yes.

The rule at our local courses is this:

If a group or single catches up to you or your group, and there is an open hole ahead of you, you must let the group play through. 

To me, I will always let people play through as long as there is a hole open. If the course is backed up because it is busy, and everyone is waiting at a hole anyway, there is really no sense in playing through. you will just be waiting again at the next hole anyway. 

"If you're in a hurry on a golf course, you're in the wrong place"