Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

First impressions: new Odyssey BackStryke putters...

Golfware

Oh, I was JUST SO EXCITED to finally give these a test run. FINALLY... FINALLY... FINALLY!!!

And to my utter amazement, I was sore disappointed with it. Has anyone else tried these?? I thought the forward press would help, and truth be told, it does actually put a nice roll on it. But man, I have to say that I couldn't get along with the looks of it. My line was off and just didn't do anything for me. I was putting indoors with it, so the jury is STILL out.

I then proceeded to grab my Sabertooth and started dropping putts like nobody's business. Heck, I even grabbed the new 2-ball V-line and that's an excellent, excellent putter for those that like a mallet. Very easy to line up and stroke.

But only time will tell with the Backstryke. I'm going to try it one more time on some greens at a course near me. Really give it a good test. But thus far.. yuck!

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• SPY VIP

Backstryke felt weird. Not very descriptive, but weird. Had the same experience after putting a few with the backstryke and then switching to a center shaft 2ball, cs 2ball was way better for my stroke.

Maybe more time with the new tech in needed, but I would be hard pressed to buy one.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Glad someone else started this because I tested one today too. I wasn't exactly excited about this to begin with, but I HATED it. The look was awful to me, and the biggest problem was that nothing seemed square. The putter sat oddly on the ground, and the grip seemed like is wasn't aligned to the face. I tried a couple different styles and this was consistently an issue, so I'm not questioning Callaway's QC, it's just an issue with the way the thing sets up for me. Two thumbs down.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I must agree that they don't look to aesthetically pleasing, but for those of you who miss putts right like myself this putter is a life saver. I would personally probably never use one but it is very affective. I also found when I was testing one out, that the ball comes off the face very solid, no skipping or backspin on the ball. Overall, not easy too look at but very affective.

Fairways and Greens

how does is it perform with different grips left ahnd low, the claw/saw grip? anyoen try it out with a unconventional grip

I use the claw/saw grip with a forward press on it just wondering how it does with something liek this more than anything

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

These are strange looking putters! are there any Pros using them on tour? When it comes to putters I tend to think the traditional look is the best way to go instead of these futuristic looking things. Look at what Scotty started with the futura.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

These are strange looking putters! are there any Pros using them on tour? When it comes to putters I tend to think the traditional look is the best way to go instead of these futuristic looking things. Look at what Scotty started with the futura.

IIRC, Padraig had one for a while. Not sure if it was in play or if he was testing it, but I know I saw pictures of him with one.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Did not do a damn thing for me. I had just about everything I could beg, borrow or steal on the practice green today. I was all over the place with the damn thing. Maybe it was psychological, but I had one hell of a time aligning the thing.

These are weird. I putted with one on an indoor demo green and was consistently right of my target line. Presumably I could overcome that, but the feel and setup was just too much to contemplate trying to get over.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Backstryke felt weird. Not very descriptive, but weird. Had the same experience after putting a few with the backstryke and then switching to a center shaft 2ball, cs 2ball was way better for my stroke.

Maybe more time with the new tech in needed, but I would be hard pressed to buy one.

I completely agree that the Backstryke felt really awkward. I rolled a few with the Backstryke yesterday and the first putt made me stop and look at the putter to see if the face was broken. I just couldn't stand the feel of the putter and I am a feel putter so that eliminates the Backstryke from ever getting into my golf bag.

Okay, so the jury has deliberated and the results are in.

Can't stand this putter. No thanks! I really wanted to like it, but just haven't putted well with it all. And I LOVE Odyssey Putters, but not these...

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I have had the chnace to game all three for a couple of rounds each and they did nothing for me. Our pro has been pushing them a little and I know several others who have demo'ed them but I don't think he has sold a single one at this point. I'm thinking this could turn out to be a bust for Odyssey.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Archived