Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Going to Hilton Head in 2 weeks

fozcycle

I'm going to Hilton Head for the last week of September with a golf Buddy.  Taking our spouses and plan on playing some golf.

We are staying at Southwind II @ Shipyard.  They provide free golf at Port Royal and Old South Golf Clubs.

Does anybody have any reviews of these courses?  Has anybody played them?

Any recommendations?

Please advise.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Surely somebody out of this group has played golf at Hilton Head.......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I've been to Hilton Head twice, but its been at least 10 years back, maybe closer to 15.  I did check quickly online, and I see that golfadvisor.com have a number of reviews of Old South, I don't see anything on any of the three courses at Port Royal.  Tripadvisor.com also have a bunch of reviews.  I also stumbled onto a nice review of all three courses at Port Royal with some photos at:

http://breakingeighty.com/port-royal-golf-review

Have a great time!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Thanks much, Dave

The Port Royal review was written in 2013 and very interesting.  The couple going with me play from the Senior Tees (about 5500 yards) while I still play at 6000 to 6300 yards.

You lucky dog!  I have always wanted to go there.  I've made it to Myrtle Beach a couple of times, and I have been to your area in Florida quite often.  But never to Hilton Head.  Tried to go once while in Aiken, SC but some hurricane decided to stop by.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Glad to help.  You might also consider posting the question on the Tripadvisor golf travel forum.  I use Tripadvisor quite a bit when i travel, and have found it to be pretty good.  Like any site, you can't trust EVERY opinion, but there's some good information to be had.  If you ever get to the Pinehurst NC area, please let me know, that's become almost my second home.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You lucky dog!  I have always wanted to go there.  I've made it to Myrtle Beach a couple of times, and I have been to your area in Florida quite often.  But never to Hilton Head.  Tried to go once while in Aiken, SC but some hurricane decided to stop by.

I'll have to do a write up on it after my trip......should play at least 4 times..

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Palmetto Dunes, has three courses.  I have only Played the Trent Jones layout which was in AWSOME Condition...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Well, we got to play only 5 times during our week at Hilton head....

Shipyard(Galleon-Clipper)

Port Royal Planters Row

Port Royal Baronny

Shipyard(Clipper-Galleon)

The Golden Bear

Since my friends play from the Senior Tees, I agreed to move up and play with them.  I have to admit, it was different as I had to choose 3 wood over driver on some of the doglegs.  I scored as follows:  92, 90, 91, 86 & 92

All said, it was a great week. Hope to go back next year.

I was a bit disappointed with The golden Bear.....both the Tees and Fairways were thin. The Port Royal courses were the best with very fast greens and plush Fairways.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.......I will be returning to Hilton Head next year.  I am aquiring a one week timeshare for the last of September.  A little lady from Alabama had one for 19 years and can't use it anymore.  She is selling it to me for less than $500.  I checked around and they are currently selling for $10k for that location and time of year.  This is definitely a no brainer.  It is only a 5 minute bicycle ride to the beach at Coligny and comes with golf privileges. This means that I get access to about 10 courses and only pay the cart fee.

My wife is excited about this........and so am I.

• 2 months later...

I have been part of a guy trip to Hilton Head for over 20 years.  We have played many of the courses on and off island.  Started going in February, then changed to March, then to November and now for the last 5 years have been going in September and love the island at that time of year.  Would recommend all 3 courses at Palmetto Dunes Resort.  Robert Trent Jones, Fazio, and Arthur Hill courses and they are usually in good shape.  The Cupp and Hill Courses at Palmetto Hall are great layouts but be sure to check on conditions as several years ago they weren't in the best shape.  If you have the opportunity to play Bear Creek it is a good layout and has been in great shape.  Off island I would recommend Oldfield which is a Greg Norman course that is an excellent layout.  Also, Hampton Hall is usually in nice shape.  If you can get on Belfair, the West Course is outstanding.  Hilton Head National is always in good condition and Old South is also a good track.  If you have any specific questions let me know, am new to this forum.

Just a little update.......I will be returning to Hilton Head next year.  I am aquiring a one week timeshare for the last of September.  A little lady from Alabama had one for 19 years and can't use it anymore.  She is selling it to me for less than $500.  I checked around and they are currently selling for $10k for that location and time of year.  This is definitely a no brainer.  It is only a 5 minute bicycle ride to the beach at Coligny and comes with golf privileges. This means that I get access to about 10 courses and only pay the cart fee.

My wife is excited about this........and so am I.

Boom! Merry Christmas Foz! Sounds fantastic!!!

I have been part of a guy trip to Hilton Head for over 20 years.  We have played many of the courses on and off island.  Started going in February, then changed to March, then to November and now for the last 5 years have been going in September and love the island at that time of year.  Would recommend all 3 courses at Palmetto Dunes Resort.  Robert Trent Jones, Fazio, and Arthur Hill courses and they are usually in good shape.  The Cupp and Hill Courses at Palmetto Hall are great layouts but be sure to check on conditions as several years ago they weren't in the best shape.  If you have the opportunity to play Bear Creek it is a good layout and has been in great shape.  Off island I would recommend Oldfield which is a Greg Norman course that is an excellent layout.  Also, Hampton Hall is usually in nice shape.  If you can get on Belfair, the West Course is outstanding.  Hilton Head National is always in good condition and Old South is also a good track.  If you have any specific questions let me know, am new to this forum.

Thanks Trots007, and Welcome to MGS!

Very nice overview of the courses. I have never been to Hilton Head, but I like to travel to play golf. I've been to Myrtle Beach a few times and played about 15 courses there. I loved the weather around the end of October. Will have to plan a trip sometime.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks Trots..........maybe I'll get a shot at some of them next year.

• 2 years later...

My week is at the end of September.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in Hilton Head, so if anyone is planning a golf trip here and has any questions on courses, just let me know.  I have played every golf course on the island and off island (in our local vicinity) both public and private and will help people the best I can with any questions they may have.

Archived