TESTERS WANTED! ×

Losing Interest

whiskey golf

Lately I have lost interest in playing golf. I've only played a couple times this summer even though I've had plenty of time. During those couple rounds, I was able to play well, wasn't frustrated, and enjoyed myself so I'm not quite sure of the reason for this lack of interest. I still like to watch golf and look at certain types of equipment but I can't get excited enough to get out there and play whether it's a full 18, the local executive course or even the range. I'm hoping that I will find that spark and take up golf seriously again. This may take a little time since I'm starting college and want to really focus on that and on some other extra-curricular activities. I've read about golfers quitting or losing interest mainly because of high scores, not having fun, financial reasons, etc. Anyone else here go through a slump like this?

Also, I haven't been too active on the forums because of this. I haven't been golfing much or trying new equipment so I didn't feel as if I had anything to contribute. So if you don't see much coming from me then this explains it. I'll still be part of MyGolfSpy and hope to contribute more posts once I'm playing more.

Sure, I do this regularly.   In my life I had periods of golf hibernation where I literally didn't play at all for 4-5 years.   1979-1988, 1997-2002, 2005-2011.   In between, I played like a fiend possessed.

Usually I would play until I lowered my handicap until it was about scratch, just over, then I would get bored knowing that if I went out again I was just gonna come home with 2-3 birdies and 3-5 bogeys and the rest boring pars.   What's the point?   So I would give it up completely, do other things and then I'd get so bad, sinking down to like a 10 or so, that I'd have a challenge in improving again. 

I'm reaching that boredom point again.  Golf equipment isn't improving, my game is in a period of stasis.  I did have a career low round this year on my home course, but my eagle count is way off last year's pace and hcp isn't getting lower.   The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that golf has never been cheaper and the courses are empty!   I'm like a pig in slop.

Which reminds me of the old joke about is there golf in heaven?  Of course there's golf in heaven (in case you're wondering) but there's also golf in hell -- the difference being in Hell its just 6 hour rounds behind packed foursomes of ladies while you have to hit rock-flites with a forged 2 iron and no beer.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I went through stretches like that, and even now, I am in a 'lull' where I often find that when I have time and opportunity, I am easily convinced to do something else, where when I am in full 'golf' mode, it is a fight to keep me off the course when there is opportunity. 

Some of it is other interests, some of it is honestly simply cost.  It's hard to justify a 'casual' round when it's going to cost more than $50. 

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I don't go through long periods where I don't feel like playing, but I do have days where I wonder if I am really having fun.  If it is not fun, then it becomes the same thing as a job you don't like.  "Why do I get up and do this?"  So, you have to redefine what it is about gold that is fun.  I used to go out and play by myself, and while that was OK some of the time, it doesn't last for me.  I like to play casual rounds with my wife (remember, I did meet her on the golf course) and friends that I have played with for years.  Sometimes we are competitive; sometimes we aren't.  It's just whatever we feel like doing.  However, I can't play a competitive round when everyone is telling stories or just chit chatting, so I just enjoy the company and being outdoors.  Personally, I think you have to do that once in a while. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Whiskey,

Yep had that lull - but I found it was linked in a general downturn in other things in my life. When things started to pick up I found my desire to play came with it.

But if your happy - then no worries, it may be a bit of time off will help rekindle things.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I took about a 5 year break from golf in the early '00s.  For me it was more about moeny though.  I was young, didnt make a lot of money and simply had to make a choice about my hobbies (at the time, I was into hunting, fishing, snowmobiling and ATVing, as well and being a homeowner).

When I got older and the interest in having all the newest toys kind of fell away, I came back to golf.

Its OK to take a break if youve lost interest.  You can still come back and pick up the game again at some point in the future.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I had this occur when I first became a parent, no time, no money, not a priority.  I actually played very little golf through High School until the summer of my junior year of college.  I had quit caddying and was busy playing baseball, there was no time for golf and the prevailing thought at that time was that the two sports didn't mix.  Once I stopped playing baseball my attention turned towards golf in earnest.

So I've had two extended periods of not playing, the first one wasfive years, the second a couple of years.  When you live up north you're basically off for the winter anyway so you have lots of down time.  That doesn't happen for those of us who live in Cali or FL.

I wouldn't sweat it, this is your life, if for some reason golf doesn't turn you on it's not the end of the world. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Only in the winter when the weather is bad do I lose interest.  I can't get enough any other time.  If I had no other obligations or a job,  I would play sun up to sun down probably 7 days a week.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I did like Badger stated for a couple of times. I had grown to hating golf because I was trying to play it for a living. Then I got in the trucking business. Got out of the trucking business paid up my PGA dues and worked at a friends course for a while. Ended up racing dirt track cars for a few years or so. Ended up moving here to the beach 13 years ago and took it back up and been doing it ever since

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Since I started playing regularly in 2006 I've had 2 periods where I didn't play much. One was my freshman year of college, because I didn't have a car ride to the course. 

then my junior year, I barely played, and lost touch with my two golfing buddies. quite literally I sat around on a summer day and said screw it, I'm breaking the cycle and went out and played.

I was averaging 1-2 a week up until a month ago and stopped playing. I recently played Saturday for the first time in a month, and will probably start to get back out there this week. 

big factor for me though is time, I rarely have any to play.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I think that I am rolling into this period and getting ready to shut it down for the season.  Played an outing yesterday and got invited to play a really nice track Saturday morning that I passed on just because I did not feel like playing golf.  My wife has made a doctor's appointment for me to make sure that I am feeling okay since I just about never turn down a round of golf.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Heard a great piece of advice from a former touring pro that's stuck with me for a while, especially when is get frustrated or pissed on the course. We were playing and I was playing worse than normal. I was cussing at myself and all kinds of stuff. His response? "What's your handicap?" At the time it was a 2. "And why are you so mad? You're not good enough to get mad on the course and you don't have an excuse not to practice." That hit home like a ton of bricks. Unless you're a significant number plus, do you really have a reason to get mad, bored, etc? Nah, you're not good enough for that.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 6 years later...

I play everyday now that I am retired and my lowest cap was 3.  I am now a 6 at age 63 and have lost my joy, love and enthusiasm playing. I hit a couple of bad shots in a row and hit a double and say “well that’s it” and usually quit after 9.  It’s becoming like a job but I was so passionate about learning this game that it’s hard to walk away.  Trying to take a short break but still Hoping that one day I will walk out and start playing consistently again.  Pipe dream I know.  Tough not to get down emotionally and somewhat depressed.  

11 hours ago, Joh Mickie said:

I play everyday now that I am retired and my lowest cap was 3.  I am now a 6 at age 63 and have lost my joy, love and enthusiasm playing. I hit a couple of bad shots in a row and hit a double and say “well that’s it” and usually quit after 9.  It’s becoming like a job but I was so passionate about learning this game that it’s hard to walk away.  Trying to take a short break but still Hoping that one day I will walk out and start playing consistently again.  Pipe dream I know.  Tough not to get down emotionally and somewhat depressed.  

I understand. I'm kind of there right now.

Too much has happened over the last year. It's hard to get my head into golf, even though I love the game and I want to play. I have more pressing things to worry about other than how well I play golf. I just go out and try to have fun with the guys and not worry about bad shots or score. Sometimes I play well, other times not so well.... sometimes during the same round. 😂

I hope to regain my enthusiasm for the game, but right now golf is not a priority in my life.

Joh, maybe playing every day is the issue and you're almost treating it like a job now. What about playing 3 or 4 times a week instead and see how you do?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, MattF said:

Joh, maybe playing every day is the issue and you're almost treating it like a job now. What about playing 3 or 4 times a week instead and see how you do?

Personally, I would LOVE to play 3 or 4 times a week. I saw an internet meme somewhere 'A wife and a steady job has ruined plenty of golfers'  lol

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't picked up a club in over 3 years, although 2 of those were due to work, and 1 due to covid. But finally I recently went to the range a couple times - I'm  retired now - and found I really miss that beautiful feeling of good center contact, especially with my Staff blades.  Hey, you are a free being and master of your own domain. Do whatever suites your fancy. One of the wonderful things about being alive - you can pursue any interests that you want, so don't feel guilty about it. You will probably come back at some point, but it doesn't make sense to force it.