TESTERS WANTED! ×

3UP GOLF - 2S14 Ball Review

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

SPEED REVIEW

3UP GOLF - 2S14 Ball

3UP-2S14-Review-Header.jpg

Written by: Dan Mann

Lately, there seems to be a rash of boutique brand golf balls popping up everywhere. Oh no, look out big OEM's, time to shut down your expensive research facilities! There's no way these small companies can compete with the big boys and produce a playable, quality and for that matter likeable ball.

Tour balls are one thing, but today we're not talking tour level, we'll be looking at a 2 piece from 3UP Golf; the 2S14. So perhaps, this category is where the little guy can make a stand and go belly to belly with the big boys. I'm not optimistic to say the least…

PEPPY

3UP-2S14-Review-ontee.jpg

Right away you'll notice the “Deep Soft” core which is supposed to allow more energy transfer between the club and the engine of the ball. This translated is “lower compression” and sure enough the 2S14 has no problem getting high real fast. So yes, it's a very spirited ball off the driver & irons and you should see a few extra yards especially at lower swing speeds. Now I'm not gonna be that guy and say “HOLY COW” this thing added 20 yards to my game, but it is a 2 piece with fancy dimples so distance will be gained.  Comparing the 2S14 to other balls in its category it will be around on par as far as length is concern. My higher handicap tester, I call her wife and chief scrutinizer of all things sketchy, was actually quite impressed with the 2S14's distance, so this is a definite plus.

PREDICTABLE

3UP-2S14-Review-9iron.jpg

The ball displays noticeably reduced sidespin. I tugged a few balls that I thought would miss the green, but was pleasantly surprised to find on the putting service. There was also a pushed drive that would normally slide over the fence, but stayed in bounds while maintaining decent distance.

Short iron approaches into soft greens generally resulted in finding the 2S14 within a foot of its pitch mark and a good 6-8 feet release in firmer situations. I also managed to suck a sand wedge back 3-4 feet. My wife coming into the same holes with mid irons was seeing about 8-12 feet of release.

3UP-2S14-Review-wedge.jpg

Around the greens there's a skid on the first bounce and the ball will roll out. This is a very predictable trait with the 2S14 making it easy to work with once you know what to plan for.

PERFORMER

3UP-2S14-Review-marker2.jpg

“Feel what you are missing” is 3UP's slogan and it certainly applies to the 2S14. I wasn't a huge fan of the 3F12 on the greens due to what I deemed a “sluggish” feel off the putter. The 2S14 is dubbed “Not too soft. Not too hard. Just right” and has a very nice roll as a result. My slower swing speed tester also felt this translated into a softer feeling golf ball.

We spent one afternoon hitting pitch shots, followed by a round with the same balls. The “extra durable” ionomer cover preformed like a champ almost appearing new after a good wipe down.

3UP-2S14-Review-sand.jpg

If you haven't figured it out yet, the 2S14 is more than serviceable ball for a mid-high handicap. Think about it; goes high, fairly long, can be spun and is quite durable.  To cap it off it's got a really nice alignment marker already painted on the side.

THE WRAP

3UP-2S14-Review-alignment.jpg

PEPPY
PREDICTABLE
PERFORMER

MBP APPROVES

My buddies gave me a hard time saying there was no way I was going to like this ball, but there's nothing wrong with it. No, the big companies won't be closing their doors anytime soon, but they should take note of what 3UP's doing because it equals and possibly bests my wife's Srixon Soft Feels. The 3UP 2S14 is a great ball for a mid-high capper in need a new gamer or low cap looking for a good fall/winter ball.

3UP-2S14-Review-velvetbag.jpg

The 2S14 ball can be found direct from 3UP GOLF for $23, but let's call it $20 because 3 of those dollars are going to charity. They come in a cool velvet bag complete with ball marker, tees and teecil.

http://3upgolf.com/pages/2s14

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Nice review MBP -- interesting to see how well the new "little guys" do.  Also interesting to figure out why it seems as thought a lot of these companies have all sprouted up at around the same time...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice review.  Love you photos.

The website says that it compares with the Wilson Duo and the Srixon Soft Feel.  I never liked the feel of the Duo (preferring the Z-Star or ProV1) and my wife doesn't like the Soft Feel (she is sticking with the Z-Star).  However, I am willing to give them a try especially now that its getting cooler.

Any word on Innovex?  Didn't they get bought by Rife?  That was a nice ball.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

Nice review.  Love you photos.

The website says that it compares with the Wilson Duo and the Srixon Soft Feel.  I never liked the feel of the Duo (preferring the Z-Star or ProV1) and my wife doesn't like the Soft Feel (she is sticking with the Z-Star).  However, I am willing to give them a try especially now that its getting cooler.

Any word on Innovex?  Didn't they get bought by Rife?  That was a nice ball.

Thanks so much. This ball is closer to a crunch feel than a spongy feel if that helps.

The latter I can't help you on.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

Nice review MBP -- interesting to see how well the new "little guys" do.  Also interesting to figure out why it seems as thought a lot of these companies have all sprouted up at around the same time...

Thanks

Perhaps they're all coming from the same place?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

My concern with balls like these, and the other smaller boutique companies, is pricing.  Sounds like a nice ball, nothing wrong with it, but when I can walk into any golf shop, golf store, or wal-mart/target and pick up the ball they are being compared to for the same price it's hard to justify ordering something online that actually costs a few bucks more.

Either way nice write up and I'll keep them on my radar.  Now for the really interesting review...when is the shoe review coming???

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

My concern with balls like these, and the other smaller boutique companies, is pricing.  Sounds like a nice ball, nothing wrong with it, but when I can walk into any golf shop, golf store, or wal-mart/target and pick up the ball they are being compared to for the same price it's hard to justify ordering something online that actually costs a few bucks more.

Either way nice write up and I'll keep them on my radar.  Now for the really interesting review...when is the shoe review coming???

Why did I include shoe pics..... It's all anyone is talking on social lol

#COMINGSOON

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Why did I include shoe pics..... It's all anyone is talking on social lol

#COMINGSOON

Myself included :)

And because they look awesome and are different so the public needs to know!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

Myself included :)

And because they look awesome and are different so the public needs to know!!

I've asked my regular job if I could just write reviews all day long and they said no for some odd reason. So you'll just have to wait a few more days.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Good review as usual MBP, very surprised by how good they played after hitting the 3 piece ball in California and in Memphis. Sounds like they're improving. Will keep them on the radar to try in the colder weather that's approaching

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Good review as usual MBP, very surprised by how good they played after hitting the 3 piece ball in California and in Memphis. Sounds like they're improving. Will keep them on the radar to try in the colder weather that's approaching

This ones worth looking at in the non-tour ball category

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I've played the 3F12 and did not think it was a bad ball. Don't usually play a 2-piece, but may give this a try over winter. Truth be told, though, when you can find Lethals and FG Tour balls for $20 a dozen, it's difficult to justify paying more for a 2-piece.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

I've played the 3F12 and did not think it was a bad ball. Don't usually play a 2-piece, but may give this a try over winter. Truth be told, though, when you can find Lethals and FG Tour balls for $20 a dozen, it's difficult to justify paying more for a 2-piece.

Can't argue with that logic.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The pics are great!  I like how you get the extra large Logo in each pic.  BTW, the oversize Logo reminds me of the Vision Balls from the Boz from Oz.....makes it easier to identify on the fairway.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 month later...
  • SPY VIP

The pics are great!  I like how you get the extra large Logo in each pic.  BTW, the oversize Logo reminds me of the Vision Balls from the Boz from Oz.....makes it easier to identify on the fairway.

I'm a traditionalist and prefer the written Titleist logo to most, but will say this is a more than likeable logo to stare down at.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I have been playing the 3Up 2S14 for a week now at my practice course.  I thought I would try them as an over the winter ball.  The temperature here has been mild the last few weeks; highs in the mid 60's, lows in upper 40's.  We got a little rain but not much compared to Seattle and Portland.  Here are my observations so far:

• Off the driver - about the same, maybe slightly shorter on average compared to the Srixon Z-Star
  • Off irons - about a half club more, I think because of more roll.  Higher launch. 
  • Approaches to green with full wedge - doesn't check up like the Z-Star, about 8-10 feet more
  • Chipping - soft feel, need to get used to the roll, but very playable; the Z-Star checks quicker
  • Putting - again soft feel, I actually like it.
  • Durability - pretty good.  I still have the first ball I started with and while it looks a little worn compared to new balls, it's certainly playable.

My course has fairly small greens and depending on the club used for approaches, I had to land the ball short of the green otherwise the ball went all the way to the back or even off the green.  The greens are firming up since irrigation has stopped for the year, but the occasional rains help a little.  The Z-Star will still land on the green and stop a few feet from it's ball mark.  That will change soon; nothing will stop on the green when the temperature drops into the 30's and 40's.

I like the 2S14 better than the Wilson Duo (it felt like mush).  It is definitely softer feeling than the NXT Tour which was my winter ball last year. I wish the made it in the Tour Yellow like the Z-Star or NXT; much easier to see in the cloudy winter skies.  I will play this ball until the dozen runs out and then decide if I want to get more; probably will unless spring comes early!  Hope, Hope.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

I have been playing the 3Up 2S14 for a week now at my practice course.  I thought I would try them as an over the winter ball.  The temperature here has been mild the last few weeks; highs in the mid 60's, lows in upper 40's.  We got a little rain but not much compared to Seattle and Portland.  Here are my observations so far:

• Off the driver - about the same, maybe slightly shorter on average compared to the Srixon Z-Star
  • Off irons - about a half club more, I think because of more roll.  Higher launch. 
  • Approaches to green with full wedge - doesn't check up like the Z-Star, about 8-10 feet more
  • Chipping - soft feel, need to get used to the roll, but very playable; the Z-Star checks quicker
  • Putting - again soft feel, I actually like it.
  • Durability - pretty good.  I still have the first ball I started with and while it looks a little worn compared to new balls, it's certainly playable.

My course has fairly small greens and depending on the club used for approaches, I had to land the ball short of the green otherwise the ball went all the way to the back or even off the green.  The greens are firming up since irrigation has stopped for the year, but the occasional rains help a little.  The Z-Star will still land on the green and stop a few feet from it's ball mark.  That will change soon; nothing will stop on the green when the temperature drops into the 30's and 40's.

I like the 2S14 better than the Wilson Duo (it felt like mush).  It is definitely softer feeling than the NXT Tour which was my winter ball last year. I wish the made it in the Tour Yellow like the Z-Star or NXT; much easier to see in the cloudy winter skies.  I will play this ball until the dozen runs out and then decide if I want to get more; probably will unless spring comes early!  Hope, Hope.

This pretty much matches up with everything we've noticed

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

First real test today for the 3UP 2S14 in cold weather. At noon it was sunny and warmed up to 30 with about a 5 mph wind. The ground wasn't quite frozen (I could still get a tee in the ground.), and the greens were incredibly slow (haven't mowed for a few days). This is my practice course; executive course with one Par 5 and two Par 3's

Based on the review by Mrs, MBP, I also used a Bridgestone Lady Precept in Optic Yellow. I wanted a yellow ball to play in the winter because it is easier to see on the gray days.

I played nine holes hitting the 2S14 and the Lady for all shots. They feel very similar off both woods and irons and went about the same distance, as best my inconsistent swing will allow. Chipping and putting we're similar too. I actually shot the same score with both balls; +1, a bogey and eight pars. I landed approach shots short of the green most of the time which worked out. One shot with both balls landed on the green and both stayed; however, on another green I landed both on and both went off the back.

For a winter ball I will be happy to play both the 3UP 2S14 and the Bridgestone Lady. They don't feel like rocks and are very playable. However, when it warms up I will go back to either the Srixon Z-Stars or ProV1s for better control around the greens.

• 6 months later...

I purchased 3 dozen 3UP 2S14 balls recently and put them to test on the course.....longer, straighter and equally as soft as: Wilson Duo, Hogan Edge, Titleist DT Solo & Maxfli Softfli.   Of all these two-piece balls, the 3UP is definitely the performer.  Off the driver, it booms with little spin, rolling out farther than other two-piece balls. The play is sweet off the irons when well struck.  Flight path is very straight and accurate, landing softly.  Putting is a nice soft feel that allows yo to properly gauge the distance.  Overall, I am very pleased with the 3UP 2S14.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I purchased 3 dozen 3UP 2S14 balls recently and put them to test on the course.....longer, straighter and equally as soft as: Wilson Duo, Hogan Edge, Titleist DT Solo & Maxfli Softfli.   Of all these two-piece balls, the 3UP is definitely the performer.  Off the driver, it booms with little spin, rolling out farther than other two-piece balls. The play is sweet off the irons when well struck.  Flight path is very straight and accurate, landing softly.  Putting is a nice soft feel that allows yo to properly gauge the distance.  Overall, I am very pleased with the 3UP 2S14.

Foz, I know you just bought 3 dozen and for me, that would probably last a couple of years. But since they aren't making any more, you might want to be on the lookout for a sale on the Bridgestone Precept Lady.  I found them to play very similar, although it was in cold weather.  Maybe the next B-Stone ball fitting, you can pick up a trial sleeve.  I like them for winter play, but don't really know about warm weather play.  My wife uses them because they are available in yellow which is easier to see in the grey winter skies.  However, she uses the yellow Srixons Z-Stars in the summer.

Foz, I know you just bought 3 dozen and for me, that would probably last a couple of years. But since they aren't making any more, you might want to be on the lookout for a sale on the Bridgestone Precept Lady.  I found them to play very similar, although it was in cold weather.  Maybe the next B-Stone ball fitting, you can pick up a trial sleeve.  I like them for winter play, but don't really know about warm weather play.  My wife uses them because they are available in yellow which is easier to see in the grey winter skies.  However, she uses the yellow Srixons Z-Stars in the summer.

I have been cruising through a bunch of two piece low compression balls this Spring and thought I had decided on the maxfli Softfli, until I tried the 3UP.  I'll game them for awhile.  I'll have to switch to the Wilson Duo Spin as I got selected for the group review.  This should be fun as I have been in the 2 piece ball game lately. 

Will keep them on the radar to try in the colder weather that's approaching

Wow, having been down south for 10 years, I had forgotten how short term one has to view the summer up north.  Isn't the colder weather just leaving???

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Wow, having been down south for 10 years, I had forgotten how short term one has to view the summer up north.  Isn't the colder weather just leaving???

He posted that in September counsellor. :).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived