TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade UDI in depth review

markb

I'm starting this thread prematurely because I don't have range feedback to give you just yet.   You see, I received my Taylormade UDI 3 iron today, fresh in its unopened packaging.   Cost me $133 and since I'm a driving iron proponent and frequent user, I was salivating at the chance to put this club through a workout.   Sadly, my 20 degree Ultimate Driving Iron no. 3 measures just 39.5" with its KBS C taper shaft.  Well my 17 degree Speedblade 3 iron, which has a bigger face and is stupid easy to hit, has a 40.5" shaft.

In fact, this UDI 3 is half an inch shorter than my Speedblade 4 iron with the same 20 degree face!   I can see absolutely no point in comparing a "custom driving iron" against my set four iron, can you?  For what it's worth, I hit the SB 3 iron about 230 to 250 and the 4 iron about 215 to 220.   What's this small headed short UDI possibly gonna do? 

So I'm not even going to take the plastic off, I'm going to re-sell it and look for a UDI 2 iron, which should spec a little closer to the SB 3 iron.   When I do, I'll resurrect this thread and re-post.   In the meantime, if any of you want to chime in with your thoughts on the UDI or on driving irons in particular, feel free.

sb udi heads.jpg

sb udi grips.jpg

(In fairness, I've learned that my SB's measure about 1/2" over the currently posted specs on TMag's website.   I swear I bought them stock standard, but now it seems that they are "long".)

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

In the strange of coincidences, I sold my UDI to a fellow MGS member -- Ifixclubs. He didn't know it was me selling it!

I asked him if he would continue the review in this thread and he said he would as soon as he re-shafts it.

And btw, he won it for a few bucks less than I paid for it!

I had a UDI one iron.  I was disappointed it did not come in a graphite shaft.  Really wanted it set up that way.  I found when playing it back in my stance and trying to hit a low flighted "stinger" type shot I could really smoke it.  However, with a standard swing it seemed to balloon and not go anywhere.  I didn't find it very versatile because of that and ended up selling mine as well.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

My 17 degree Speedblade 3 with a 40.5 inch shaft doesn't go very high for me and I can't really get it airborne off the turf.   But off a tee it gives me that low screaming straight flight that you want a driving iron to have.   It has such low spin that I'll get 3 yards of roll out if I keep it in the fairway and it's often longer than my 3 wood as a result.   But if it were to get up at all, what's the point?

Archived