TESTERS WANTED! ×

Trigger Point’s GRID STK -- REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

gridstk-1.jpg

All Hail the Mighty Foam Roller

I may not totally understand how foam rollers help the body to get rid of pain, but I am sure happy that they work. I believe that it involves the over stimulation of the nerves as the roller rolls over the muscle, and this then causes the nerves to stop firing, relaxing the muscle.

You super stimulate the muscle and nerves, causing it to release and relax. That's what I think is happening. I'm no expert in the physiology. Google it if you really want to know what is up. I'm just happy the roller does its job.

It's like my car. I don't really know how it works, but I am grateful that it does.

Those of you who have used foam rollers in the past and found relief are likely nodding in agreement right now. Thank you foam roller.

GRID STK: The Foam Roller – ON A STICK!

gridstk-3.jpg

What I have for you today represents the next step in foam roller evolution. Trigger Point's GRID STK (and GRID STK X) are foam rollers on sticks. Does putting something on a stick automatically make it better? If we use state fair data, the answer to that question is a resounding yes it does.

Don't agree with me? Go try and find a stick-less corndog at the fair. You won't find one. Why not? Because on a stick is just plain better.

One could perhaps dismiss my silliness as hyperbole (assuming that one could define hyperbole). Trust me, I'm not blowing smoke here. I totally think that the foam roller on a stick is better than the normal roller. Here's why:

It's Easier to Use

Maybe you are more flexible and contortion friendly than I am. If so, you probably have no need for a foam roller in the first place.

However, if you are more like me, you may have felt awkward when using the roller. Maybe like me, you actually made another part of your body hurt while trying to roll out an ache. Not my proudest moment, but it happened.

GRIDSTK-8.jpg

My trouble areas have been my low back and calves. The traditional roller does work for me, but there is some balance required to hit either one of these areas effectively. The first time I rolled my calves, I actually strained my traps while trying to balance on the leg. The trap tightness and pain almost kept me from a round at Pasatiempo. Trading leg pain for neck pain not a winning exchange.

gridstk-4.jpg

Specifications: The GRID STK

The world's first hand-held foam rollers wrapped in patent-pending GRID® 3-dimensional surface channels nutrients directly to the tissue for health and mobility. Available in two densities (regular and extra-firm “X”).

·      Convenient size is perfect for the gym, office or on-the-road

·      Patent-pending 3-dimensional surface to replicate the feeling of a massage therapist's hand

·      AcuGRIP handles for targeted relief

·      Water-resistant

·      Simple-to-clean

·      Backed by a one-year warranty

Get off the floor! Use the GRID® STK or GRID® STK X seated or standing to relieve minor aches and pains.

I really relate to the “Get off the floor!” part of their description. The greatest advantage of the GRID STK is that you don't have to balance on the roller to use it. You just grab the two handles and roll the GRID STK over the effected area. For both my calves and my low back, it has been 1000% more effective and easier. I have yet to figure out a way to do it wrong and accidentally injure myself.

gridstk-5.jpg

I have been using the orange GRID STK for a month or so now, and it does a wonder on my calves. The firmer GRID STK X is a bit too aggressive/firm for me, but the regular GRID STK has been a great therapeutic tool.

Rolling the GRID STK on the muscles doesn't feel all that pleasant, but immediately after rolling them, the muscles feel amazing. I can tell that I am getting a better roll on the calves than I ever did with the traditional foam roller, especially with the lower legs. They just loosen right up after rolling.

Hit that Pain with a STK!

The GRID STK is fast, effective, and as far as I can tell, idiot proof. I feel like I have just scratched the surface of what the GRID STK can do, but so far I'm impressed. If you head to the Trigger Point site, you can see a whole bunch of videos (i.e. 6) about how to use the GRID STK. Here is one on rolling the calves:

I know that many of you are gearing up for off-season workout plans. I was right there with you at this time last year. I wish I had known about the GRID STK before I was in pain and needed it, and also before I went to the store and bought a traditional roller. Workout plan is still on track a year later, thanks for asking :)

gridstk-6.jpg

The GRID STK will set you back $34.99, with the firmer GRID STK X coming in a bit higher at $39.99. If you are serious about getting in shape, you should also think about things that will help you decrease pain and recovery time. For my legs and back, the GRID STK has been a great addition to my fitness arsenal.

gridstk-2.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

May have to check one of these things out. I like you have a foam roller but suffer from the same spots... This seems like it could get me going after a long round.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived