Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Maltby DBM forged irons

MattF

Thinking of picking up these heads during the winter and building my first set of irons.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MA0225_A_cn_E_671

Maybe pair them up with these hybrids: http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp?pn=MA0238&green=10783313605&utm_source=MyBuys&utm_medium=RSP&utm_campaign=WebRecUS

Any thoughts?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I can be a decent ball striker on my good days. To me, in profile, they look a bit like Eye 2's.

I'm just replacing the heads in my current gamers, so I'll be using my FST 90 R shafts.

The hybrids, I'm not sure if I'll order some more of the same shafts or stick them on a set of KBS Hybrid shafts I have.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Coming to Newark to pick them up?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nice clean looking irons. About 20 years ago when I first started playing golf, I ordered a set of Maltby forged heads an Dynamic Gold shafts because I wanted to see if I could build a set and to see what forged heads were all about. As I recall, the Maltby heads were nice and the irons felt really good, but it really needed game improvement clubs so I sold them. The short irons were fine, but the longer clubs were hard to hit and this was before hybrids. I might consider doing it again if I didn't have a nice set of Macgregor M685 sitting around. These forged irons are easy to hit but the stiff steel shafts are too stiff for this old body now. My project this winter will be reshafting them with graphite; just haven't decided which shaft.

Best of luck; you should like them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ralph Maltby is one of the most knowledgble people in the golf business IMHO. they do make a quality product. Now I say this because I have built some for others but have never gamed them myself. I do some business with them and their customer service is outstanding! As far as your old shafts those FST 90s are great shafts I play the same shaft just tipped differently to create a stiff shaft. They are great especially for the money. Keep us posted on your project

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Coming to Newark to pick them up?

Yes sir. Looks like they have a range there, so I should be able to hit a demo or 6 before making the ultimate choice.

Best of luck; you should like them.

Thank you.

Ralph Maltby is one of the most knowledgble people in the golf business IMHO. they do make a quality product. Now I say this because I have built some for others but have never gamed them myself. I do some business with them and their customer service is outstanding! As far as your old shafts those FST 90s are great shafts I play the same shaft just tipped differently to create a stiff shaft. They are great especially for the money. Keep us posted on your project

Will do! I hope to be able to get down there either in November or early December.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I play with a guy who has had a set of Maltby heads for several years.  His look very similar to these - his longest iron is a 7 so a players club works out well for him.

Good luck with the building process and please let us see the finished product.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Id want to more about who is forging them for them before I went with them.  Not all forged heads are created equal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I play with a guy who has had a set of Maltby heads for several years.  His look very similar to these - his longest iron is a 7 so a players club works out well for him.

Good luck with the building process and please let us see the finished product.

Thank you sir and I certainly will.

Id want to more about who is forging them for them before I went with them.  Not all forged heads are created equal.

Probably the same foundrys that do the majority of the OEM forgings in China I would imagine.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Nice, clean looking iron.........have never hit one, but would be encouraged to.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice, clean looking iron

That's exactly why I like the look of it. Not busy and the black should help with glare.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I have a black or at least very dark finish on my irons and it's great. I wish I had done it years ago as the glare down here can be a killer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Probably the same foundrys that do the majority of the OEM forgings in China I would imagine.

Unless its forged by Endo in Japan or Taiwan, Id pass on them.  My point is that not all forged is equal.  Some companies cut corners when it comes to forging, to the point where its little more than a buzzword and marketing hype.  Its like when Taylormade and Titleist made irons that had a forged face but a cast body, which isnt the same as an all forged, 1-piece club head.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I can't make it down to the shop, so after a lot of too and froing, I'm ordering a 6i and 5hy head to give them a shot. I'm also ordering another FTS 90 shaft for the hybrid.

This will be the first time I'll have re-shafted a club of any kind, so it will be a learning experience.

Funny, I asked a question on their club maker forum "this is what I'm playing currently and this is what I'm thinking of going with, am I going in the right direction?" and the first reply I got was almost straight from WRX...you're a 20 so get lessons first. I was asking about replacing clubs not if my swing is crap (it can be some times but that is from not practicing  :D ).

Ask basically the same question here and you guys encourage me, so guess where I'm staying and asking questions?

In the bag:

Bag: 

UPDATE:

I can't make it down to the shop, so after a lot of too and froing, I'm ordering a 6i and 5hy head to give them a shot. I'm also ordering another FTS 90 shaft for the hybrid.

This will be the first time I'll have re-shafted a club of any kind, so it will be a learning experience.

Funny, I asked a question on their club maker forum "this is what I'm playing currently and this is what I'm thinking of going with, am I going in the right direction?" and the first reply I got was almost straight from WRX...you're a 20 so get lessons first. I was asking about replacing clubs not if my swing is crap (it can be some times but that is from not practicing :D ).

Ask basically the same question here and you guys encourage me, so guess where I'm staying and asking questions?

Good to hear! Handicap doesn't mean much when selecting new clubs. At least I don't think so

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 1 year later...

Thanks Matt, for letting me try out your lovely Maltby DBM's. They feel every bit as good as they look. You now have me thinking about building a set.

Really enjoyed spending the day with you at Pebble Creek. You are welcome to come up and play any time you are in Bonita Springs.

Thinking about the DBM's with Kinetixx shafts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

No worries mate. I've actually been thinking of "upgrading" to graphite shafts.

It was a great day!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 4 months later...

I want to build a set of these with. AXE tour X graphite shafts. Currently bagging i20 with CFS shafts. I saw someone with these and he said it's the most durable finish he has ever seen. And loved his irons. Now I want to try a set. Looks like you could put a bag together for under $600.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

Absolutely you could. I used the FST 90 shafts and with the 6, 7, 8 and 9 irons it cost me about $200. I'm going down to golfworks next month to test some shafts, the AXE Tour being one of them, to change out what I've got now. I'll also be looking at the Recoil shafts.

He's right about them being durable, they still look pretty new for clubs I built in 2014.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Absolutely you could. I used the FST 90 shafts and with the 6, 7, 8 and 9 irons it cost me about $200. I'm going down to golfworks next month to test some shafts, the AXE Tour being one of them, to change out what I've got now. I'll also be looking at the Recoil shafts.

He's right about them being durable, they still look pretty new for clubs I built in 2014.

what would you compare them to, forgiveness wise? I'm thinking about moving to some ping G irons as well. The black finish just looks amazing on the DBM irons and they look more players iron then game improvement. Little to no offset.

WITB?

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

what would you compare them to, forgiveness wise? I'm thinking about moving to some ping G irons as well. The black finish just looks amazing on the DBM irons and they look more players iron then game improvement. Little to no offset.

Forgiveness wise, according to the MPF they're close to the Karsten or G20.

In the bag:

Bag: 

• 3 weeks later...

Still holding up well?

WITB?

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

The finish? Absolutely, when clean they don't show wear at all...or very very little.

In the bag:

Bag: 

The finish? Absolutely, when clean they don't show wear at all...or very very little.

Awesome

I need to build a 7i and give it a try. See if I like them more than my i20. If so, build the rest of a set. I'm wanting to build these with the AXE tour X graphite shafts.

WITB?

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

• 1 month later...

Think I'm going to order a 7iron this week in these with the Axe Tour shaft and see how I like it.

WITB?

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

Look at the Recoil 6XX shaft as well. I tried the AXE, Recoil, steelfiber and paderson. I discounted the Steelfiber and Paderson straight away because I didn't like the feel. I really wanted the AXE tour, but the Recoil felt better and I got more distance out of it.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Look at the Recoil 6XX shaft as well. I tried the AXE, Recoil, steelfiber and paderson. I discounted the Steelfiber and Paderson straight away because I didn't like the feel. I really wanted the AXE tour, but the Recoil felt better and I got more distance out of it.

Will do. Thanks

WITB?

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

Placed an order for 7i only for now for a Xcaliber tour 95g and DBM head. +1 " on the shaft.

WITB?

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

Archived