Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ipods other electronics etc on course

Andrew Bush

to use or not to use   

14 members have voted

1. 1. to use or not to use smart phones for communication on the course

• Use
    • NOOOOOOOOOOO wAyyyyyyyyyyyyy

First of all I try to play 2-3 days a week and sometimes 4 in the summer whens its warm, lets say i work three days a week. I play with everyone from the teen thats walking to the elderly couple. But everyone one who has a blackberry/smartphone now is invading golf courses nationwide.

An occasional use driving range practice area etc fine maybe check it once each nine and at the turn ok great u looked at a few times.

But trying to play a 18 hole round of golf with that 2some or 1some u joined up with is almost unbearable to say the least.

So what i am asking is to to use or not to use a 0 tolerance all golfers make it a quiet email and facebok free round :)

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

I always have my Blackberry on me even when I am on the course. Unfortunately, it is kind of required for me in my job to keep it on me. As for anyone else using their phone or other electronic devices it doesn't bother me as long as it is done properly. What I mean by that is I keep my Blackberry on silent so it doesn't ring or vibrate during the round. I do check my phone when I get back in the cart and if I get something that is pressing then I will respond, but if it is unimportant then I just leave it be.

All in all, I don't have a problem with anyone having their phone on the course because emergencies happen, but just be respectful of everyone else and keep your phone on silent or some level that won't disturb other golfers.

I have an iPhone with a scorecard app, and I very rarely use it on the course. I'm in a very laid back league with guys that I know wouldn't care, but I still don't use it when they can see, I feel like I have to sneak around to put the scores in, and a lot of times I just put them in in the truck.

When I golf I want to get away from everything and relax, and I "try" to keep my phone away...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I think at the range, anything is fine as long as you're not disrupting anyone with a loud ringer or by talking loudly into your phone. On the course, I agree that it's ok to have your phone with you in case of emergency, but you should NOT be taking calls of a non-emergency nature if you're playing with others or the course is at all congested.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

its not the occasinal user i dont like its the in between every shot user that i want to take a 9 iron to his i phone to make stop looking like a monkey on a lab table hunched over, thats the person ill pass playn 18 more with

Andrew Bush

I hate to have to wait for anyone else on a golf course, so if I have to make or take a call, I find a place away from the group, and sit out until I have finished my conversation. There will be no waiting for ME...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I belong to a private club which does not allow using a cellphone on the course or at the range.

An occasional guest will unknowingly break the rule but will be politely informed by a member.

It's OK to have the phone on vibrate and check for messages but any conversations must be out of earshot of playing partners.

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

I like to occasionally listen to music on the practice green. It's a relaxing detour between work and home. I can't imagine playing with them though. Part of the attraction of the game is the walk in the park. The quiet, no phone, no civilization sound at all (ideally). Headphones in a foursome is just rude. Handsfree is silly too. Nearly everyone I see turns into Larry Loudtalker with the ear piece. It would be less intrusive/loud to just talk into the phone. Maybe I just don't get the handsfree need when not driving.

[i believe the above statement represents the first stage of my transformation into a cranky old man. Damn youngin's]

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Shoot im 25 and hate it man all these people connected to hip thinking there missing out on something off the net when they are missing out on a round of golf only so many days to live and fit golf into them so why not enjoy them

Ps most the time the over active user in this situation keeps his head down better on his smart phone then when he hits the ball just my smart butt opinion.

Andrew Bush

• SPY VIP

Shoot im 25 and hate it man all these people connected to hip thinking there missing out on something off the net when they are missing out on a round of golf only so many days to live and fit golf into them so why not enjoy them

Ps most the time the over active user in this situation keeps his head down better on his smart phone then when he hits the ball just my smart butt opinion.

Andrew Bush

Didn't even think about the focus aspect. Plus, green fees can be a bit steep on some courses. I can answer email for free at the office.

Obviously some people have no choice because of work, but others in the "Hello? Nuthin' what are you doing?" group should leave it in the car.

Volvo Intorqueo

I won't lie I keep my phone on and in the cart during a round of golf. I'll text here and there but I never take a phone call only becasue I don't like it when poeple talk on the phone at the course. I also enjoy talking to who ever I am playing with which is usually my best friend. I'll listen to music on the range and practice green and maybe when I am not the cours but that is very very rare. I enjoy the game to much to care about work/facebook/emails while I'm on the course but I will text some.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I have to keep my phone with me for work, but I keep it on silent or vibrate and only interrupt the game if the issue is an urgent one. And if I'm going to delay anyone on the course, then I excuse myself and skip as many holes as necessary to complete my business.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Had the phone on today because we had who is picking up the kids issues. No ring during backswing, thankfully.

Picked up a single, he had to take a call. Lost us for a whole and then caught up after the call.

Volvo Intorqueo

I don't really get many calls except for my wife, and she knows not to call me while I'm golfing unless it's an absolute emergency, and even then, my phone is on vibrate in my bag, so I may not get it until the turn... She has only called my once, because my son was having a meltdown, but I didn't get the message until I was in the car on the way home... she was kinda pissed...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• 3 weeks later...

the once in awhile or have it with u person is awesome its the i am oblivious person on it the whole 18 and only lookin at u when u yell fore at em is the person i cant stand like i said a earlier the chimp on the lab table hunched over look textin only thing that stays in mind

the once in awhile or have it with u person is awesome its the i am oblivious person on it the whole 18 and only lookin at u when u yell fore at em is the person i cant stand like i said a earlier the chimp on the lab table hunched over look textin only thing that stays in mind

I hope you don't take offense at this, but I have to ask. Were you half in the bag when you posted this because I've read this three times and I still can't make sense of it.

Maybe I should have a drink. :blink:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I saw cell phone rudeness taken to new heights on my recent trip: my dad and I hit into a green, drive up, and there's a ranger sitting maybe 30 feet from the green talking to his wife on the phone. No emergency, just bullshitting. I pulled my putter, stared right at him, and he kept talking. After we putted, I said, very loudly, "It would be nice if you could putt around here without people talking on their phones." Then he drove over and said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you could hear me." Really? You were 30 feet from the green. Furthermore, why are you on the phone at all?

• SPY VIP

I saw cell phone rudeness taken to new heights on my recent trip: my dad and I hit into a green, drive up, and there's a ranger sitting maybe 30 feet from the green talking to his wife on the phone. No emergency, just bullshitting. I pulled my putter, stared right at him, and he kept talking. After we putted, I said, very loudly, "It would be nice if you could putt around here without people talking on their phones." Then he drove over and said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you could hear me." Really? You were 30 feet from the green. Furthermore, why are you on the phone at all?

Golf is too expensive for me to waste it on the phone. Nice that it was a ranger...

Volvo Intorqueo

Golf is too expensive for me to waste it on the phone. Nice that it was a ranger...

That's absolutely true. My dad takes a handful of calls on the course, but he doesn't ever tell anyone that he's on vacation, so it's somewhat inevitable. The only person who ever calls me is my wife, and I still leave the phone in the car.

• SPY VIP

That's absolutely true. My dad takes a handful of calls on the course, but he doesn't ever tell anyone that he's on vacation, so it's somewhat inevitable. The only person who ever calls me is my wife, and I still leave the phone in the car.

Calls on the course for me are never good calls, and often times there is nothing I can do even if it is bad. I walk and am 2 miles from the parking lot... See you in 30 min...

Volvo Intorqueo

I will listen to an ipod when I am on the range, or if playing a late in the day nine holes by myself. My phone is always with me, but I don't even know what the ringer sounds like on it since it is always on vibrate, even at home.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Archived