Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Poulter leaving Cobra, Big Deal or No Big Deal?

RoverRick

Poulter Pole or is it Poul or Poll?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Poulter is leaving Cobra.

• Big loss for Cobra.
    • Not a big loss for Cobra.
    • Oh, he played what brand?

Poulter is leaving Cobra.  Do you care?  Where do you think he will be a good fit?

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and-events/equipment-news/2014/october/ian-poulter-leaves-cobra-puma/

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I personally do not see this as a big deal.  Cobra is Puma/Cobra and he has his own line of clothing.  Since this is the case, I would think he is a bigger catch for a club only OEM.  That means TMag, Nike, Cobra/Puma should all give him a pass.

This opens the door for Titleist, Ping, and Mizuno or even Cleveland (do they still make clubs?) or even Bridgestone.

He plays the Titleist ball so it will be a bigger deal to switch that also.

I see this as a huge gain for a club and ball only like Bridgestone or Cleveland/Srixon.

No big deal, he's a pompous a$$. He's one of those guys that their mouth way exceeded their ability.

Agreed, outside of the Ryder Cup he hasn't done anything

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think it depends on what a company is looking for with him. He does have some cache for a variety of things inside and outside of the Tour. I could see him with TM. Sergio has the same kind of love , hate thing with people and the two of them could be a good marketing play for TM. We shall see.

I would think that TM would want him playing their ball. Doesn't sound like that will happen - he's already filmed an advertisement for the 2015 ProV1 which hasn't played yet. My guess would be a full Titleist deal, but who knows. I don't think its a major loss - he has the attitude of a loner, and seems pretty self-serving.

Srixon..... would be my guess.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I would think that TM would want him playing their ball. Doesn't sound like that will happen - he's already filmed an advertisement for the 2015 ProV1 which hasn't played yet. My guess would be a full Titleist deal, but who knows. I don't think its a major loss - he has the attitude of a loner, and seems pretty self-serving.

I would think that could cost him money to change sponsors after he filmed and ad.  He might get a court date along side Rory and GMac.

I think he probably wanted a much bigger deal than Cobra was willing to give.   Poulter probably perceives that he moves the dial more than he did before, what with his RC success and his high social media presence.   This is true, but he is aging and Cobra/Puma skews super young.   They want the youngest rising stars they can find.  I don't know that Poulter will get big money from anyone.   Maybe a Japanese company looking to increase its presence worldwide.   Bridgestone/XXIO.   He'll probably keep Titleist and return to Foot Joy, I think.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

No big loss.  Other than Ryder/Presidents Cup play, he's never really won anything.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

No big deal....he's not on my favorites list though so I don't pay much attention to him.  I'd venture to guess he's more popular over in Europe.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

My impression is that he's not a big name in continental Europe and the Nordic countries. Blixt and Fowler are Cobra Puma here.

Maybe Callaway because he's definitely a bigger name in the UK.

Wilson needs a new name. Lawrie, Harrington, Wall, Hartø isn't really working out for them. 

It's a bit harsh to say that he's done nothing other than Ryder Cup. 12 victories on the European Tour. Some big tournaments. But last win was 2-3 years ago, I think.

I am going to throw my hat into the ring on this and I may be very well in left field maybe into the parking lot. I think first off he may go with someone like Fourteen Golf on the irons etc with maybe his bag bearing his company design logo or maybe a JDM company.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It's a bit harsh to say that he's done nothing other than Ryder Cup. 12 victories on the European Tour. Some big tournaments. But last win was 2-3 years ago, I think.

Hows his record in majors?  At the end of the day, thats all that matters.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Well yes badger he's not won a major - but then again plenty of players have never won a major. i doubt he will win a major.

I can't say I'm a big fan of poults he's a bit loud for my liking - but is he any more so than a Pat Reed or in fact plenty of other players from any country?

Poults has made a good living despite having fewer weapons then many of the top players. I can think of players who've won very little who seem to be lauded. At least he's won 12 times on his home tour

My guess is that he and cobra/puma were never going to last, he's taking money away from them with his clothing line - Id guess clothing is more important to cobra/puma than clubs. Although happy to be corrected.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him with loads of companies, he needs clubs, balls and shoes. So perhaps shoes and balls from titleist/footjoy - perhaps he goes the whole hog with Titleist but poults always like to be left field so frankly all bets are off.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Hows his record in majors?  At the end of the day, thats all that matters.

Must admit that I had to look it up :) 

2012 was a pretty good year. Masters - 7, The Open - 9, PGA - 3. He's also got a handful top 10 finishes.

Europeans tend to look at it differently. Majors are important but not everything. It doesn't define a player. Greatness can be achieved in other ways, at least in some parts of the world. We don't say "who the f'''' is Monty" just because he didn't win a major.

If you only read headlines and never care about a players general performance in tournaments, personality, sportsmanship and achievements of the course - then yes, majors is the thing for you. 

I'm not saying that Poulter = greatness ;)

Yes just looked it up myself! I'd say your pretty good if you've won 2 WGC events and been ranked as high as 5th in the world.

I have a feeling that he'll be remembered more than someone like Luke Donald, unless Luke finds his game again and wins that major.

In an aside I have both Puma and IJP clothing items - IJP is at least as good for me, quite possibly better. Often pair up IJP trousers with puma shirt.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

It is so great to hear things from the European perspective.

Well yes badger he's not won a major - but then again plenty of players have never won a major. i doubt he will win a major.

I can't say I'm a big fan of poults he's a bit loud for my liking - but is he any more so than a Pat Reed or in fact plenty of other players from any country?

Poults has made a good living despite having fewer weapons then many of the top players. I can think of players who've won very little who seem to be lauded. At least he's won 12 times on his home tour

My guess is that he and cobra/puma were never going to last, he's taking money away from them with his clothing line - Id guess clothing is more important to cobra/puma than clubs. Although happy to be corrected.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him with loads of companies, he needs clubs, balls and shoes. So perhaps shoes and balls from titleist/footjoy - perhaps he goes the whole hog with Titleist but poults always like to be left field so frankly all bets are off.

I agree, he hasnt gotten as much love as others who have never won anything either but thats his fault.  When you run your mouth on social media like Poults does at times, you tend to rub people the wrong way.

I'll give him this: Poulter is a killer in match play.  I dont know if its playing for national pride or its just something else about match play that brings out the best in him but Poults is amazing in match play.

I also kind of feel like Poulter doesnt fit in with the imagine that Cobra/Puma are going for.  They are very much a younger brand and lets be honest, he's kind of the weird, old guy next to their young stars like Lexi and Fowler.

He doesn't need a shoe sponsor since, I believe, he's already with Oakley. I see him, possibly with titleist (because of the golf ball connection). I put that him leaving was a big deal to Cobra simply because he was their face for many years but with Rickie and even Lexi Thompson coming in, Cobra will be better off. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

This is a pure guess, but I am guessing he goes back to Titleist.

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

He could run amok with the myjoys couldn't he!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Thanks, That is a good looking bag.  I like Titleist.

Poulter just announced that He's all in for Titleist & Footjoy for 2015

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

I say Yonex. I'd like to see him just fade away.

I think that he will fade away at Titleist as well. :(

Seems like a strange fit unless he is toning down his style to fit the more classic Titleist/Footjoy palate.

Although, there are a lot of "Puma Colors" in the new Footjoy shoe lines...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived