Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What's your 2014 season highlight

Mr_Theoo

Well the winter time is drawing near for us in the northern part of the states. So as many of us will either be putting the clubs away or banished to the indoor ranges and simulators I got to thinking what was the highlight of this past season.

For me it was getting to play golf with lots of MGS members. Going to Cali for the Loftup event and meeting MBP, Will, Brian, WalkerJames, HighFade, Bones, and Dru. Then in the summer I met up with MattF in Ohio Rev and his son in Florida. And Bones, Rick and Zach down in Memphis. For me this was the highlight because i got to meet so many cool people and enjoyed golf with people who enjoy as much as i do.

What was your highlight of the season?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The meet-ups with other Forum members are definitely high lights -- got to play with HiFade in Denver - what a blast!  Also to play with WDGolf in Boston about a month ago.

Other highlights were being a contestant on Hack To Jack - what a cool event!  Got to get to know lots of fun and enthusiastic golfers, participate in some fun competitions and - best of all - get a little better.  Handicap dropped from 11.5 down to 8.

And of course, the opportunity to visit Nike last week is something that'll stay with me until they box me up and drop me in the dirt!

Great threat Theoo~~~~

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I play golf with a scratch player who is a member at another course in my area. I work with him and every time we play it's a struggle for me to beat him.

I beat him for the first time ever this year. I shot a 73 and he shot a 75. Of course now I have to listen to his stories about how he felt sorry for me and let me win.

Highlight of my year since I didn't get my first under par 18 I had been shooting for.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Meeting and playing with you Mr Theo of course!

I also got to play with Foz twice, Rookie, Jaxs Beach Packer Fan and to play TPC Sawgrass with him in July. The SCOR test was awesome and I certainly never expected to be member of the Month.

In regards to golf the best part of my season is now. I missed my favorite tournament last weekend but won my league final yesterday with a 73. (any competitive round under 75 is really solid in my book). LI have a one day tournament coming up Saturday plus a big one in early December as well as some friends coming to play in November and December so my year is not over. Late October until the first week of December is always the best part of my season. I may play in a huge tournament New Years. A lot depends on how sharp I can keep my game going through Christmas. If I have some practice time I'd like to do it.

If anyone here is interested in playing this winter come on down. We have an empty bedroom.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great thread Theoo.

Forum member link ups always rate on the highlight reel.  I had two this year and am working out the details for one early next year.  Plus, I even played in a tournament or two with forum members.  They are always a blast and reserve a place on the highlight reel.

The highlight of this year was early May.  It was the highlight of the previous 5 years was this May.  I set the goal of reaching scratch golfer by my 50th Birthday, May 14.  I reached 0.2 and thought I was the king of the world.  However, after working very hard for 5 years, when the deadline came around, and I posted my thread here about my "5000 Post Journey", I began the low light of the year.  I pretty much lost my motivation.

I no longer practiced or really even cared and even stopped, or greatly curtailed. my posting here.  Over the past few months my average score has risen to it highest level in three years.  I was playing simply for the pleasure of it and did not care about the score, just wanted to make more money than I lost.  The weekend of the club championship, I was distracted and did not pay attention.  I lost my matches when I got up that morning.

Well, I am happy to report that I am back on track now, and planning on have a highlight filled tournament this weekend.  I am swinging better than ever and am motivated to play better again.

The funniest thing was it was not until I quit trying so hard that all the swing changes I have worked on over the years fell into place, and my swing over this period has continued to improve even though my course management and scoring was not good.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Two highlights for me. First was meeting up wuth Mr_Theoo. It was fun and good to be able to play and talk with someone that you interact with online.

The second was getting my Ping G20. Love this driver and it has helped me no end off the tee.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Highlights for me....

1; moving to Texas in January so there is no "off" season.

2; playing with fellow MGS'rs at the Texas Open in March. 

All-in-all a great year!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The highlight of my 2014 season was a double eagle (albatros) on a 525 yard par 5! Actually it was the highlight of my golfing life and won a skin. Pure luck!!!! I'm a high handicaper so I'm glad my buddies were there to see it, because there's no way they would believe it otherwise.

• SPY VIP

In no particular order:

Visit to the Tmag Kingdom, got to meet some amazing members: Bones; Theoo, WD, HighFade, Hcky and Dru.

Like a pro @taylormadegolf #thekingdom #agentsofgolfspy #golf #loftup

A photo posted by Dan Mann (@golfspymbp) on

Golf week with BestGrips here in Vancouver.

Vacation in Hawaii, spent time including golf with AotearoaBrad and his family.

Won the Wilson Golf NeXuS bag design contest

I #love #photoshoot time. All products featured deserve the best #pictures

A photo posted by Dan Mann (@golfspymbp) on

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Great thread Theo!

My highlights are the TMaG trip and getting to meet up with fellow MGS'ers.  Won my singles bracket in our golf association and got my handicap down to a 5.0 which is the lowest I've ever been.  At one point I had 7 out of 9 rounds in the 70's which is a big win for me.  That's more times than the past 3 seasons combined.

Overall I wish I could have golfed more, but I have played over 50 rounds with a 3yr old and 11 month old at home so I consider it a win.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Probably my buddy and I playing a round at our college course. I hit a 55 footer for birdie on 7... he sinks a 30 footer. I par 8 a short par 3.. he makes birdie. 

On number 9 I eagled out from 140 with a nine iron. A perfect low hook that rolled dead in.

That or my golf buddies trip with my friends from undergrad in Vegas.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

On number 9 I eagled out from 140 with a nine iron. A perfect low hook that rolled dead in.

That's gotta be a great feeling!  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Roadtrip to the Ryder cup with my oldest and best golfing buddy.

Getting down to 5 for the first time last week.

Bought less clubs in the last year than I've done in years - actually only bought two clubs this year (I think) the SLDR and the tight lies fairway.

Oh and just ordered by 3 year old a 7 iron and putter from the golf club for his 4th birthday present. Really excited about that.

But sadly played less this year than of late - hoping to rectify that next year.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

For me it was playing with MSG'ers at the Texas Open (golf wise). got to play some petty awsome tracks this year:  Torry, Cordillera, and Austin Country.  THE ULTIMATE HIGHLIGHT though is the birth of my Baby Girl last December...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Two big highlights for me.  The first was not as a player, but more a spectator.  I got to be a marshall at the US Open at Pinehurst.  Got to see some amazing golf, but more important was feeling that I was a part of a great event.  

Second, I played the best golf of my life this year, getting to a 4 handicap and staying there for a while.  I shot 70-76 in our Senior Club Championship, and only lost on the third playoff hole, to a 1-handicap.  I can look back on the playoff and see that I missed a couple of shots when some old bad habits crept in under the pressure, can even call it a choke of sorts.  But I played amazingly well to get that far, I hope I can learn from the "choke" and play even better next time.

And the last highlight, I've become a little part of a great community here on MSG.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I haven't jumped in here until now because I have been trying to come up with a highlight; without much success I might add.  But now I can (pun intended)

I got a new knee last November and it doesn't hurt anymore to play, so I guess that is my highlight this year.  Alive and kicking!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

I haven't jumped in here until now because I have been trying to come up with a highlight; without much success I might add.  But now I can (pun intended)

I got a new knee last November and it doesn't hurt anymore to play, so I guess that is my highlight this year.  Alive and kicking!

Highlight of century I'd think. My knee acted up all summer so I'm stoked for you, congrats on the knee and a long future golfing.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Amazing what they can do with replacement parts these days.  Glad you're pain free...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Biggest Highlight was getting to play with Rev, Rookie & Jax....then getting to review the Cobra Bio Cell irons that Jax had ordered 1.5* upright, but they were delivered 1.5* flat......Thanks Cobra for that little error.  I am still gaming them.

Gamewise Highlights....shooting a 77 in February; a 173 yard Eagle during our Fall 2 Day Tournament & scoring back to back Birdies during Day 1 of the Doug Oswald Invitational in Ocala last week.

All in All, it's been a very busy year.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Highlight of the year...finally feeling proper coil in my swing. After quite a lot of lessons my teacher has got me to the stage where I can build a swing that stores power in my lower half.

The change from loopy, unsecured, over-swinging slice to a more compact, wider, more zingy, straighter ball-flight has made an enormous difference to my game. Though not my mentality, now I'm even harder on myself for bad shots:(

Two 9 hole wanders over the weekend, 38 & 35, par 36. I'm still to break 80 for a full 18 though, that's for next season. An off-season of putting and short-game beckons...and maybe some fitness...we'll see. :)

Oh and picking up a Ketsch after a Ping fitting, walking in a putting imbecile, hitting the 5 putts with the Ketsch and finding out my putting handicap was 0.1! Beginners luck...though it's not performing badly either...overly deep grooves...? Thank you MGS for the UMT '14

Archived