TESTERS WANTED! ×

Watches

revkev

Recently I've been invited to participate in 2 golf digest surveys about watches. Of course I've seen the commercial with Rory and Michelle Wie for Omega and Tiger for Rolex.

I could be nuts but I think watch makers are in big, big trouble. Watches used to be every bit as much a technological statement as they were a fashion and functional one. Today though people carry their technology on their phone or. IPad. Watches are a dying technology.

In fact the Rory commercials are silly, they try to paint him as classic. I don't think that's a marketing winner.

Any thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Haven't worn a watch since I got a phone. No point except as a fashion statement. Maybe the very expensive watches will continue for awhile, but the cheap to moderately expensive ones are history.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wear a watch every day except when I play golf, but being 43 years young, I grew up wearing a watch and still look at it to tell  the time, not my phone.

I have a Seiko that I bought during the honeymoon of my first marriage in San Fransisco in 1995 that is my every day watch. I also bought another "fancy" on on that trip that I use as a dress watch. My goal though, is to buy an Omega Seamaster as my dress watch.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Went to a sales seminar once and the speaker was talking watches - and asked the group what the difference was between a $30 Seiko and a $2,000 Rolex....the bottom line answer was that the Seiko kept better time.  

Two different markets -- simple time piece vs. fashion accessory.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

RPJ has a BUNCH of classic pieces... Maybe he'll come back one day and share them

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have my Dad's Rolex but I would never wear the thing nor would I go buy one. Of course I couldn't afford to buy one either.

He loved the technology, its the engineers watch with all the works visible. I have no doubt he'd prefer the technology of the IPhone and would marvel that he could have everything he needed in that little device including his time piece.

I'd rather be a golf club OEM than a watch maker, that's for sure.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have several watches....a couple Seikos, a Robert Weil and several gimmick watches like a U of Kentucky blue watch. However, since shattering my left wrist in 1998, I rarely wear anything on my left wrist. For the past two years I have worn a Nike Fuel bracelet on my right wrist. It also serves as a timepiece. I always enjoyed wearing a nice watch, but now there really isn't a need as I have time on my Nike Fuel and my iPhone.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It might be that the manufacturers of today's watches are in trouble, but I don't think the watch is going to be a thing of the past.

People laugh at the wearable devices of today, and perhaps they should because of their limited functionality. It was not that long ago however that people laughed at tablets because of their limited functionality and lack of features.

The Apple watch (yet to be released) and the other devices that have come out over the last year or so are today a compliment to your smartphone.

In 10 years when they can pack all of the features of your smartphone into a watch sized device it will seem old school to have a separate phone.

The watch manufacturers who partner with a technology company will most likely survive while those that don't might no longer be around.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

It might be that the manufacturers of today's watches are in trouble, but I don't think the watch is going to be a thing of the past.

People laugh at the wearable devices of today, and perhaps they should because of their limited functionality. It was not that long ago however that people laughed at tablets because of their limited functionality and lack of features.

The Apple watch (yet to be released) and the other devices that have come out over the last year or so are today a compliment to your smartphone.

In 10 years when they can pack all of the features of your smartphone into a watch sized device it will seem old school to have a separate phone.

The watch manufacturers who partner with a technology company will most likely survive while those that don't might no longer be around.

I agree with you and almost wrote traditional watch companies. In fact the more watch only companies push the fashion the more they sign their death warrants. It's no win for the traditional watch.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have my Dad's Rolex but I would never wear the thing nor would I go buy one. Of course I couldn't afford to buy one either.

He loved the technology, its the engineers watch with all the works visible. I have no doubt he'd prefer the technology of the IPhone and would marvel that he could have everything he needed in that little device including his time piece.

I'd rather be a golf club OEM than a watch maker, that's for sure.

Believe it or not I actually have a Rolex that I have had for 15 years or so. I have not worn it in years. I am actually scared to because from my teen years I have an uncanny ability to mess a watch up. I never have worn one on the golf course because they bother me. And like some said I have a clock on my cell phone and one on the stereo on my big truck so I am time covered. If I aint at work or have something to do at church or a tee time I don't get too concerned at what time it is

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

RPJ has a BUNCH of classic pieces... Maybe he'll come back one day and share them

LOL he is a classic himself!! I can say that tongue in cheek because I am a little older than him

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The status watches will remain. They are the equivalent of jewelry for men. The lower end ones will have to incorporate "smart" technology or go the way of Ram.

Eventually that will creep into the higher end pieces as well, but only as hand crafting pieces of the watch becomes a dying art.

Over the summer I became obsessed with watches, not buying them but researching and learning about them. I wear a watch everyday, either a Victorinox quartz watch or a Luminox quartz watch and although I can check my phone, I prefer a watch since it's faster than taking out my phone and it's more acceptable in certain cases, in my opinion. I don't think watch companies are in trouble, people are still constantly buying expensive watches and I don't see them going away. Some smaller companies could be at risk but a company like Rolex or Omega, I don't see them going out of business. Even then, there are some companies that are smaller and that I've never heard of, yet they are in business and their pieces aren't something that I see being bought often and aren't cheap. 

I think watches are for many a personal statement about who you are, it is also probably the only acceptable jewellery in some conservative corporate environment. Also a good mechanical watch is something that could be passed down to the next generation and it will continue to run well over the years. Some even gain antique status and become a valuable collectible item.

A smart watch however, is just another gadget which you buy, and it may work seamlessly with your smartphone now; but in two years time when you want to change to the latest and greatest smartphone, this smart watch would be unlikely to work well with the new phone. And from now till then, I imagine there would be regular software updates which has to be done to fix bugs which seems to come packaged with the product every time.

Also because of it's limitation is size, a smart watch can only display very little useful information, and have very limited functionality. If you need to send a message, or take a picture, you still have to take out your smartphone. So it is a somewhat mediocre watch with some added features and you have to charge it everyday, just like your phone. Once the battery runs dry - we all have days when we forgot to charge our phone, the piece of technology is no better than a piece of jewellery.

Electronics in general (we all know - computers, laptops, phones) degrades over time, and build-in obsolesce is very much designed or engineered into the product. How many of us have never experience our electronic goods giving up the ghost shortly after it's warranty expires? And if we try to get it repaired, we find that it's cheaper to just replace the darned thing. Smart watches are the same. It is not designed to last, it is designed to make money for Samsung, or Apple.

The watch collection which I have build up over the years, I plan on passing down to the next generation. A good mechanical watch is not just a time piece, it tells a story about what it's owner went through, and even carries with it valuable life lessons and values which the owner wants to pass down to the next generation. So there's a lot of intrinsic value that comes with a watch to me that goes way beyond just telling the time.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I cannot wear a watch when I play golf, so the GPS watches certainly don't appeal. Smart watches - well I do love gadgets so I'd never say never.

But most days I wear my Tag Heuer, now I can't afford watches like this as a matter of course. It is my second most precious possession (after my wedding ring). It will be 10 years old next year and along with my ring is a reminder of my happy marriage.

I bought it on the way back from my honeymoon in Australia, I'd not have been able to afford it all but I was using up all my Aussie coins in the 'pokies' (slot machines) at a pub and without knowing what was going all the lights on it went nuts. manager walks over and says come and join him in the office (I thought I was in trouble). Turns out Id won a 1000 Aussie bucks and they needed to write me a cheque!

So rather than do the boring thing of paying off the credit card I bought a Tag F1 Chronometer and when he's 18 (assuming it's still in great condition) I'll pass it on to my son.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

This is going to sound bad but I have 14 watches.  Funny thing is I wear my G-Shock 99% of the time.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have a couple Movado watches that I wear strictly for fashion.  I love the look but I rarely look at them for the time.  I almost always use my phone to get an exact time.  My thought would be the more expensive watches will always have a place.  The cheaper models will be hard pressed to keep around.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

I cannot wear a watch when I play golf, so the GPS watches certainly don't appeal. Smart watches - well I do love gadgets so I'd never say never.

But most days I wear my Tag Heuer, now I can't afford watches like this as a matter of course. It is my second most precious possession (after my wedding ring). It will be 10 years old next year and along with my ring is a reminder of my happy marriage.

I bought it on the way back from my honeymoon in Australia, I'd not have been able to afford it all but I was using up all my Aussie coins in the 'pokies' (slot machines) at a pub and without knowing what was going all the lights on it went nuts. manager walks over and says come and join him in the office (I thought I was in trouble). Turns out Id won a 1000 Aussie bucks and they needed to write me a cheque!

So rather than do the boring thing of paying off the credit card I bought a Tag F1 Chronometer and when he's 18 (assuming it's still in great condition) I'll pass it on to my son.

That is too funny.  I have a Rolex that I wear most days to work that I bought after a hot night playing blackjack in Atlantic City.  I am not really a gambler at all, but when in Rome...

The CEO at home was not too pleased when she found out that I came home with a watch as opposed to the cash.  That watch cost me a ton in all the things that I could not get mad at her for buying for herself.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Crikey if I played blackjack I'd lose the watch, car, house and subsequently the wife I reckon!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Crikey if I played blackjack I'd lose the watch, car, house and subsequently the wife I reckon!

This was also the last all guys trip to AC for me.....had to have a responsible adult with me at all times for future trips.  Apparently none of my buddies meet that criteria.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Speaking of wearing watches when playing golf, I only wear my trusty G-Shock whenever I play. Unlike mechanical watches, G-Shocks are light and yet tough. Also because they are relatively cheap, I don't feel so bad about scratching my G-Shocks.

And in case you are wondering, wearing a watch does not affect my swing in anyway, it's just a matter to get used to.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I've never been a watch person.

Only watch I've ever wanted had an $8,000 price tag (I still want it badly!!)

I think the low to mid range watch market is done for. High-end will always exist. Dudes who are INTO watches are cray

Let's hear the collection.

Yacht master handed down from my father.

5 Reactor time pieces, every day watches besides my G-shocks

2 G-shocks

2 Nixons

2 Citizens

2 invitca's

and I just ordered the LG G-Watch

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Smart Smartwatch buyers know what they are getting. They are buying the tech and convenience that they know will be and should be obsolete in 2-3 years.

Jewelry watch buyers are generally buying to collect with value retention in mind.

Two different markets that have brands for each. It is the market in between that will lose it's consumers. $50-150 watches that offer zero tech.

Smart Smartwatch buyers know what they are getting. They are buying the tech and convenience that they know will be and should be obsolete in 2-3 years.

Jewelry watch buyers are generally buying to collect with value retention in mind.

Two different markets that have brands for each. It is the market in between that will lose it's consumers. $50-150 watches that offer zero tech.

A run of the mill G-Shock will set you back 100.00.  Casio sells a bunch of these every year....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived