TESTERS WANTED! ×

How would you handle #TheCreeper?

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

So yesterday NIdine & I wake up to find the torrential rains have stopped and the sun is peaking out. Call the course across the street and they have an opening for 2 at 11am. So with season end nearing so much for watching the Seahawks game it's off to golf!

We get paired with a random twosome of a dad and his adult son. From the get go we knew something was off, the son would take practice swings at any given pause in the action. You're looking in the rough for a ball - practice swing. Peeling a banana - practice swing. Lining up your putt - practice swing. Putting - practice swing and so on and so on. The 2 never stood still and were always walking or moving when you we hitting. No this wasn't subtle swaying it was barreling past you with their pull carts mid swing.

On 8 the son hit his approach first even though he was 20 yards past Nidine and his dad onto an elevated green. He then rushed ahead before we could all finish. During Nidine's back-swing we hear a scream, "DAD!!! I just made a 55 footer for birdie!!!" He then proceeded to exclaim this 3-4 more times top of lungs for all surrounding suburb's to hear... The funny thing is while looking for Nidine's long approach shot behind the green she found the EXACT ball he was playing the hole before. She pointed out to dad that was his ball and dad yelled at him "hey you played the wrong ball" The kid came running from the 9th tee (yes he was already waiting on the next hole) screaming no I didn't, no I didn't!

But the mirroring practice swings were the worst. When you would be setting up to address the ball, him being left handed would set up directly in front of you as close as he could get. If I was up against the right marker he would be just outside it. When Nidine was on the ladies tee he would grad his 3 wood and do the same thing. You could tell he was analyzing/studying swings, but there is an appropriate time and place for such things. Well I was right because on the 6th hole I had my first lesson. I was taught the neutral grip to help correct my hook...

The 6th hole was also the site of bunker practice. The son had some trouble his first try getting out of the green side bunker and in frustration proceeded to finish the hole before we had putted. While lining up my birdie putt I hear thud on the green behind me. He's practicing bunker shots! Long bunker shots... Well I hope he got his money's worth because he continued while the 3 of us all finished.

Anyways we kept our mouth shut until the 13th tee because we're pretty damn easy going people. On 13 Nidine is all set up to hit 7 iron into a par 3 and he's got driver out facing head on directly in front of her already practice swinging. And these are full force take a divot drivers, move the earth practice swings. So Nidine says in a annoyed tone, "do you think you could not do that please"

Well this set the tone for the rest of the round... Dude was pissy and took it out on dad. He accosted his father for all score reporting claiming dad was shaving strokes at one point etc. it was really uncomfortable.

Anyways it was just an awkward round, but we played on. We put up with the moving, the walking through lines, the talking during shots, the "I'm not done eating my lunch so I won't tee off yet on 10 even though the group behind us is here and the group in front of us is done the hole" AND the practice shots into the woods from the fringe on 17 while we're putting.

Anyways I'm gonna say it, the kid was a little slow. Should we had said anything at all? Was it best to leave it as is? Should I adjust my grip to neutral?

This video is from 18 and not nearly as bad as the rest of the round, but I do enjoy watching him analyze every step of my setup.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I cannot believe that you made it through to 18 with these clowns..  Kudos to you.  I would have give them 1 chance, then let them play ahead, or found some excuse to wait a few groups... 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Sometimes, it's okay to be an *******. After the first few times if have stood still till they asked wadi going to hit and would've explained that as soon as they stood where they should be and not in my line of site sure. Had it proceeded, they'd have gotten a lesson on etiquette. And should they desire to continue they'd have been told to stay their dumbass in the cart until I'd hit. Somehow I have a feeling daddy has never admonished this child and made him think his behavior is acceptable.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I probably would have asked them to stop doing all of the obvious breeches of etiquette.

If they would have declined I would have started doing the exact same things to them.

If they said a word I simply would have replied "annoying isn't it".

If the kid was indeed handicapped I would have explained to him what the etiquette of golf is and what he was doing wrong.

If he still didn't do it I would have asked his father to step in if he hadn't already.

As awkward as it all may have been, perhaps no one has ever bothered to tell him.

Must less the safety issue of him constantly going ahead of everyone.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

I cannot believe that you made it through to 18 with these clowns..  Kudos to you.  I would have give them 1 chance, then let them play ahead, or found some excuse to wait a few groups... 

The course was packed and we weren't going anywhere... Sadly we just didn't have the option.

Sometimes, it's okay to be an *******. After the first few times if have stood still till they asked wadi going to hit and would've explained that as soon as they stood where they should be and not in my line of site sure. Had it proceeded, they'd have gotten a lesson on etiquette. And should they desire to continue they'd have been told to stay their dumbass in the cart until I'd hit. Somehow I have a feeling daddy has never admonished this child and made him think his behavior is acceptable.

I was hoping Rookie would chime in because he would know best how to lay down the law in these situations. :D And yes I guarantee daddy hasn't disciplined that child since he was 3.

But really it was a such a nice day

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Hey, I have a child on the autism spectrum and he knows better. He's 5.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It sounds to me as if the kid actually was "a little slow" -- meaning developmentally disabled.  Not much you can do except drop back or out.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Agree with Rookie.  Similar situation in AZ a few weeks ago when my wife and I were playing with two guys that couldn't shut up.  They weren't too bad when I was teeing off because we were on the same tees, but when we moved to the forward tee and my wife was teeing off, they just kept talking.  Seems that women get no respect when playing with men.  

After a couple of holes, my wife turned and looked at them until they stopped.  You know... The Look!  It worked for awhile but she had to keep doing it thoughout the round.  They never did stop talking out on the fairway though and she can hear a ball go in a cup from further away than Bubba can hit it!  That made for a miserable round.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

Agree with Rookie.  Similar situation in AZ a few weeks ago when my wife and I were playing with two guys that couldn't shut up.  They weren't too bad when I was teeing off because we were on the same tees, but when we moved to the forward tee and my wife was teeing off, they just kept talking.  Seems that women get no respect when playing with men.  

After a couple of holes, my wife turned and looked at them until they stopped.  You know... The Look!  It worked for awhile but she had to keep doing it thoughout the round.  They never did stop talking out on the fairway though and she can hear a ball go in a cup from further away than Bubba can hit it!  That made for a miserable round.

Oh, I know the look

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Mercy - that kinda takes the fun out of a round, doesn't it?  Not sure how i would have handled it -- I tend to be non-confrontational, but would maybe have said something to the dad.  If the kid really had a handicap, the dad needs to take care of it since he's the one responsible for his kid.  Good news is those types of pairings are -- hopefully - few and far between.  At least you had a nice day in the sunshine with your better half...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This may have even been more irritating than being pared with the Rules Nazi in the tournament.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I have a lot of patience, big shoulders, let things slide a lot but I knew this day was going to take a bad turn from the time I grabbed our coffee. Dan went to pay the green fees and grab the power cart and I went to grab a couple coffees for us. I'm stirring some sugar in and this guy comes and stands next to me (in my personal space aka too close for comfort) with 5 feet worth of counter space to spare next to me and looks at me and my legs says all creepily "Aren't you cold?" (Or something to that degree) I shook off the gawking and said "No I'm quite alright" grabbed my coffees and walked away.

I got to Dan and told him what happened (honestly I didn't appreciate him so close when there was so much space not to mention SUPER CREEPY). I laughed and called it though "with my luck, watch us get put with him." Me and my big mouth.

On 6 he gave Dan a lesson and on 9 white I was ready to tee off he decided to follow up on his coaching, loudly asking Dan (who was sitting in the powercart) if he used the neutral grip. At which point in time I said "SHHHHH!"

But seriously every damn shot, "THUD!" As he swung his practice swing into the ground as you took your backswing.

My patience was wearing thin by 13. The guys had all teed off on the whites and Dan walked with me to the reds to take a pic for me, from a safe distance behind. This guy walks to the red tee box pulls a club out while I'm ready to swing and walks up in front of me and starts practicing. I was annoyed but I think I did well not losing my poop on him, and calmly but firmly said "would you mind not doing that please, it's so distracting, that would be great, thanks". When in actuality I would've liked to have shouted some obscenities but that wouldn't be very ladylike now would it. Haha!

I think he got pissed that I spoke up when I should "shut the hell up woman! Get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!" Lol

From everything I'm reading here im thinking MarkB has it nailed. Doesn't sound like Autism spectrum but I'm not an expert. Clearly there was something emotionally or developement ally delayed going on with the young man.

What was up with Dad while all of this was going on? I've parented tons of young people with life issues and as Rookie noted they will generally behave in bounds in public, mainly because I would know what might set them off and out of love for them avoid it.

What a creepy day, should have stuck with the Seahawks.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've seen parents with older developmentally challenged kids who are so worn down by the 24-7, 365, many year grind of fighting the fight that they simply turn off the explaining, apologizing, and policing for awhile.   They calculate that we'll figure it out and we can deal with it for a little while.  

I saw such a young man at the web.com tour stop in Utah this summer.  His guardians were around somewhere, but I didn't spot them.   He was having quite a time roaming the galleries and talking to folks with a Disneyland Goofy character hat on.   He sorta knew the rules and stayed behind the ropes and he knew some of the players.   Ultimately no harm done that I could see.

I have a lot of patience, big shoulders, let things slide a lot but I knew this day was going to take a bad turn from the time I grabbed our coffee. Dan went to pay the green fees and grab the power cart and I went to grab a couple coffees for us. I'm stirring some sugar in and this guy comes and stands next to me (in my personal space aka too close for comfort) with 5 feet worth of counter space to spare next to me and looks at me and my legs says all creepily "Aren't you cold?" (Or something to that degree) I shook off the gawking and said "No I'm quite alright" grabbed my coffees and walked away.

I got to Dan and told him what happened (honestly I didn't appreciate him so close when there was so much space not to mention SUPER CREEPY). I laughed and called it though "with my luck, watch us get put with him." Me and my big mouth.

On 6 he gave Dan a lesson and on 9 white I was ready to tee off he decided to follow up on his coaching, loudly asking Dan (who was sitting in the powercart) if he used the neutral grip. At which point in time I said "SHHHHH!"

But seriously every damn shot, "THUD!" As he swung his practice swing into the ground as you took your backswing.

My patience was wearing thin by 13. The guys had all teed off on the whites and Dan walked with me to the reds to take a pic for me, from a safe distance behind. This guy walks to the red tee box pulls a club out while I'm ready to swing and walks up in front of me and starts practicing. I was annoyed but I think I did well not losing my poop on him, and calmly but firmly said "would you mind not doing that please, it's so distracting, that would be great, thanks". When in actuality I would've liked to have shouted some obscenities but that wouldn't be very ladylike now would it. Haha!

I think he got pissed that I spoke up when I should "shut the hell up woman! Get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!" Lol

I would have said something, at least by the second hole.  Certainly, on the first green. 

Because I look at the hole instead of the ball during putting, I am distracted by movement on the green.  I believe that everyone should have an opportunity to mark ball and stand behind it and wait their turn to putt, in quiet contemplation of what their putt is going to do and will gain experience watching others putts.  If they continue to talk, or move around I will not hesitate to say "I will make every effort to stand still and be quiet while you are hitting, and I would appreciate the same."

I have had some people who continue to do it, mostly to be obnoxious, so I have just stood there, or even sat down and said I was waiting on them.  As you know, I am not a slow player at all.  All I ask is 30 seconds at most of still and quiet.  I will do the same.

As for making him a 'sammich' I have had the privilege of your 'burgers' and from the sound of him, the spices from your 'sammich' would kill him.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Both of you certainly did better than I would have.  I p!ssed off one of the guys in my group by the second hole on Saturday for talking in my backswing on every shot that I had hit to that point.....granted I was not nearly as tactful in my approach.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I'm very easy going, but I would have "nicely" asked the Dad to please ask his son to remain quiet/still as we are with them. I think it is the Dad at fault here, he should have explained things about golf to his son. I've been helping a Special Olympics Athlete with his golf game for two years now, what you've described does not happen ever.

I've seen parents with older developmentally challenged kids who are so worn down by the 24-7, 365, many year grind of fighting the fight that they simply turn off the explaining, apologizing, and policing for awhile.   They calculate that we'll figure it out and we can deal with it for a little while.  

I saw such a young man at the web.com tour stop in Utah this summer.  His guardians were around somewhere, but I didn't spot them.   He was having quite a time roaming the galleries and talking to folks with a Disneyland Goofy character hat on.   He sorta knew the rules and stayed behind the ropes and he knew some of the players.   Ultimately no harm done that I could see.

It's exhausting to parent a special needs child. But in the end the parent has the responsible to parent. I do know a little bit about this from first hand experience and across a spectrum of special needs.

The Dad sounds like the issue here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been with guys on college courses who don't observe rules... play out way before you  do... that kind of thing. One round in particular I was in the green side bunker and the guy putted out directly in my line twice... then turned around and looked at me like I was holding them up....

This story took it to another level. Glad that your like me and just let it go.

I try to avoid confrontation... sometimes I'll take a long break at the turn and just let them play ahead... or the opposite and say I have to hurry would they mind If I just skipped head.

Just sorry your round was like that... at least  you got to enjoy it with the Mrs.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

When does playing ready golf become too fast?   I guess maybe the whole group needs to be on the same page about how they will play, otherwise we have to default to honors system.  

Ultimately, that's why courses will always clog and why campaigns to do "while we're young" or "tee it forward" won't improve pace of play.   Pace of play is always determined by the slowest player per group, who sets the pace for the slowest foursome on the loop.

Well I will say one thing up front Matt you and Nadine should qualify for sainthood immediately for putting up with this nonsense for 18 holes and not coming unglued. I honestly cant say how I would handle it because I have never faced a similar situation before. Probably to keep from becoming unglued and making an arse of myself I would have faked some sort of an injury and went in and possibly gotten a raincheck or started over after explaining to staff what was happening

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• SPY VIP

Well I will say one thing up front Matt you and Nadine should qualify for sainthood immediately for putting up with this nonsense for 18 holes and not coming unglued. I honestly cant say how I would handle it because I have never faced a similar situation before. Probably to keep from becoming unglued and making an arse of myself I would have faked some sort of an injury and went in and possibly gotten a raincheck or started over after explaining to staff what was happening

It wasn't easy, but sometimes you just wanna golf!

Dan out

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'd have ditched them at the turn.  Stopping for a sandwich is insane.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I'm glad I didn't mention the shiv to the liver that originally popped in my head... 

In The Bag

Archived