TESTERS WANTED! ×

Practicing with a Blade

I love the look of a bladed iron. With Cobra and Nike releasing their new lines this popped into my head again. There's just something about them that is extremely appealing to me. In reality, I have no business bagging them and probably never will and I'm fine with that. Despite this, I've wondered for a while if practicing with one would be of any benefit besides just satisfying my selfish desire to hit one every once in a while for fun. I play Ping G25s and I love them. I've been considering ordering an S55 5 or 6 iron in my specs just to hit at the range occasionally to change things up. It wouldn't break the bank if I could order a single iron but what do you guys think? Would it be worthwhile or beneficial to my swing outside of just messing around with it?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I see no harm in practicing with a blade or blade like iron. I would just make sure to get the exact same specs as the gamers.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Why dont you just practice with your Gamers ???????  It's the set that you use on the course right?

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I think it's a great idea. Yes, you could order one (not sure what one would cost), but check eBay for a used one. If you know what your specs are, have your local shop adjust it. Just get one with the same shaft.

I just finished a quick 9 holes; the weather is fantastic for November. I have an old set of Macgregor forged irons that I used to play a long time ago, but they have stiff steel shafts. I like the feel of hitting them, and I hit them pretty well; just not as far as my i20s. So, my winter project is to reshaft them in graphite. I would like to play them with the SCORs if it works out. If not, then they will be good practice irons!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes Hula, I practice with my gamers. I spend quite a bit of time at the range practicing with my gamers. I didn't mean to imply that I would practice with a blade and disregard my gamers. I was leaning more towards whether or not practicing with a blade in conjunction with my regular practice might benefit my swing, ball striking, etc.

If you still get some practice time in with  your gamers, why not practice some with a blade?  Satisfying a selfish desire is more than allowed!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If the goal is to be a better ball striker why not go with a Tour Striker or Tour Striker Pro to practice with? 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If the goal is to be a better ball striker why not go with a Tour Striker or Tour Striker Pro to practice with? 

I was coming in here to say the exact same thing.  I think the Tour Striker is the absolute best training aid out there for ball striking.  That being said if you can find an old 1 or 2 iron blade and get to where you can hit it, then you are well on your way, my friends.

I'll have to look into those. Hadn't heard of them before. Thanks guys.

IMHO it will not hurt a thing. Now I played vintage blades (Mac VIPs) until last year. Now I do play a cavity back forged blade (Infiniti TS-10s) I also play some vintage golf with forged blades and persimmon woods. This sounds crazy but I practice with both. Now in all fairness I have hit forged blades all my life. I would suggest getting maybe a forged blade 9 iron and maybe a 5 iron. Don't spend a lot of money maybe you can find a couple at your local thrift store or yard sale cheap. Maybe at the end of a model run you could at least buy a demo 5 iron cheap. If you can hit the blade consistently you can hit your modern gamers

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

For a while I practiced with blades and played money games with other irons, but then  realized that I played better with the blades.  At least to a point.  The short irons, I played better with blades.  The mid irons it did not seem to matter, but the long irons did not play better with a blade. 

Solution, no big surprise, I play a combo set.  Recently, don't play the long irons at all.  Once I found the right head and shaft combination in hybrids, the long irons got kicked out of the bag.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I'm moving towards a combo set myself and have just ordered a 2003 Hogan 7 iron to test as a sort of bridge between my Scors and Speedblades. But I'll probably have to bend and reshaft to get the specs right.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes Hula, I practice with my gamers. I spend quite a bit of time at the range practicing with my gamers. I didn't mean to imply that I would practice with a blade and disregard my gamers. I was leaning more towards whether or not practicing with a blade in conjunction with my regular practice might benefit my swing, ball striking, etc.

Cool, like the guys said, I would look into the tour striker to enhance ball striking. 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived