TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tigers Return

JBones

In a little less than a month, Tiger will be making his return at Islesworth for the Hero World Challenge.  Anybody as excited as I am?  Tiger just brings a different element to watching golf.  I hope he comes back full strength and we get to see he and Rory duking it out on top of leaderboards.  

If he's healthy and has his mind right i see no reason why he cant have a season like he did in 2013

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'd love to see him have a good season. He's just good for the game, no matter how you feel about him personally.

Gotta admit I've kinda developed a soft spot for Tiger and his past troubles over the years. It seems that post accident/scandal he's kind of lost his hubris, which is what made him behave the way he did, but also gave him that aura of invincibility on the course.  

He's still a great player - now one of many.  Think his struggles at the majors are health related or head related?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gotta admit I've kinda developed a soft spot for Tiger and his past troubles over the years. It seems that post accident/scandal he's kind of lost his hubris, which is what made him behave the way he did, but also gave him that aura of invincibility on the course.

He's still a great player - now one of many. Think his struggles at the majors are health related or head related?

I think it's just been a little bad luck that's gotten into his head. We've seen him play great in majors but then have one bad hole and it's down the tubes.

The drop from the masters that caused his two strokes was a big one. If not for that he may have had a shot at winning.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think it's a combination of both. I know how my own problems have affected me on the golf course. You don't think they do, but they definitely do!

I think he can come back and win a few more majors if he can get healthy and enough time has passed from his off course problem/s. It aint like he can't play!

As a fan of golf I'm all for having the best be in the mix come Sunday. I think TW will be back and ready to compete. The one common denominator in all athletes is their competitive juices and I can see TW being very motivated this year which bodes well for people like myself; fans of the game.

• 4 weeks later...

Who all is tuning in for this today?  I will be.

Already set my DVR, work productivity is going to take a down turn today.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Have it recorded at home so NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Anyone see First Take on ESPN this morning?  Skip and Stephen A. were NOT kind to the new Tiger. 

Skip: Tiger has turned into the world's greatest used car salesmen when it comes to selling us on the new and improved Tiger and his chances of winning majors.

Stephen A: Tiger's not a winner anymore.  

Mercy!  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Anyone see First Take on ESPN this morning?  Skip and Stephen A. were NOT kind to the new Tiger. 

Skip: Tiger has turned into the world's greatest used car salesmen when it comes to selling us on the new and improved Tiger and his chances of winning majors.

Stephen A: Tiger's not a winner anymore.  

Mercy!  

ouch! looks like he's peppering the spectators OUTSIDE the course boundaries at the moment ... maybe he should've tried the stock driver afterall...

Might not have been a bad idea...

Never mind Tiger's new instructor. Here's what you need to know about the new equipment he'll be playing at Isleworth

By Keely Levins

It has been well chronicled that when Tiger Woods tees off Thursday at the Hero World Challenge, it will be his first competitive round with new swing instructor/consultant Chris Como. Less well known is that it will also be his first competitive round with most of the equipment he's expecting to have in his bag.  

Nothing is official until he steps on the first tee, but it's highly likely Woods will be using new woods, irons and a new golf ball from when he last played at the PGA Championship in August. The only clubs he isn't expected to change are his wedges and putter.

Below are some of the details on his new equipment, which Tiger offered substantial input with during the R&D process. "That to me is fun, testing product," Woods said during a Nike press event in August. "Especially when I'm playing well. I think that is the best time to test. ... You always want to test when you are playing great, because obviously you can see the differences." 

Clearly he's feeling confident about all of the new gear because there are a lot of changes to his bag. Company officials are touring this as "the first time in Nike history that he has put this much new equipment in play in one week."  

Ball: RZN Black. 
This is a big change for Tiger. For the last five years, he's been playing a version of the One Tour D that had been specifically made for him. The core of the RZN is waffle-shaped and made out of a resin polymer that interlocks with the mantle layer. The One Tour D has a synthetic rubber core. Resin is lighter than rubber, which means Tiger is playing a ball that is structurally quite different than what he's been playing for half a decade. 

Driver: Vapor Speed prototype, Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board 93x shaft.
The drive has a 420 cubic-centimeter clubhead and has 10.5 degrees of loft, a big change from the 9.5-degree driver he was playing most recently. And there were times in the last couple years that he's played an 8.5-degree model. His driver is also glued in, which is different from the adjustable version that will be sold at retail. 

tiger%27s%20vapor%20driver.jpg
(Photos of Tiger's driver: Nike)

Fairway Woods: Vapor Speed 3- and 5-wood
The biggest innovation in these clubs is stability. Two thin pieces of stainless steel run through the cavity -- called Fly Beams -- to add support and stiffness to the back cavity, something Tiger specifically looks for in his clubs. The compression channel in the fairway woods is similar to the one used in the VR series, but it's varied in width and depth.  

Irons: Vapor Pro
One of the biggest alterations made in the development of these irons from the previous ones Tiger had used was moving some of the weight toward the toe. This shift in the center of gravity came from studying the wear pattern on Tiger's clubs. The ball was hitting the middle of the clubface -- which sounds ideal -- but the majority of the clubhead's weight was in the heel. Nike R&D officials wanted to get more of the mass behind the ball (for Tiger and those of his ability level, that would be the center of the face). In early trials, they drilled holes in the toe of Tiger's blades and filled them with tungsten, a heavier metal. 

"We had this idea, if we moved the CG towards the center of the face that it would have more impact and more mass right behind the ball," Tiger explained on Nike's website. "And it worked. I was able to hit the ball a little bit further, it came off more solid, and the amazing thing is the ball flew better."

Nike moved on from the tungsten plugs, and calls its final iteration "Modern Muscle technology." The new geometry produces the same result as the plugs, without using tungsten.

The change in his clubs, coupled with the changes in Woods' swing, seems to be a part of a new Tiger -- or at least a different Tiger -- one that age and injury has forced him to become. 

"We all have to make adaptations as athletes, and we have to make adjustments," Woods said Tuesday. "And I'm no different. As I've explained to you guys many times, [it's] like when M.J. [Michael Jordan] created a fadeaway. He couldn't jump over everybody anymore, and he created a new way to score and get points. I'm the same way. I can't blow it out there with some of the longer guys anymore. ... But there's other ways to go around a golf course."

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Okay, so he's a little rusty....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yep I didn't read to much into it, although youd imagine he's been doing plenty of chipping whilst he couldn't swing it full?

swing looked ok though - although the drive down 18 still looked like it was going to cause his back some problems.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Okay, so he's a little rusty....

Rust be damned, this is surreal. All four chunked chips by Tiger today. (via @BrendanPorath and @KylePorterCBS) https://t.co/o4YkB4k4Mn

— No Laying Up (@NoLayingUp) December 4, 2014

Looks like some of my chips when I play on Bermuda for the first time.

Yep I didn't read to much into it, although youd imagine he's been doing plenty of chipping whilst he couldn't swing it full?

swing looked ok though - although the drive down 18 still looked like it was going to cause his back some problems.

I agree. For as long as he's been able to chip, I expect better. Looks like he's only been chipping for the last day or two.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

I was very happy to see Tiger return today, but I was hoping for super human Tiger, not human Tiger.

I bet he will get it together soon, but those chips, and some of the putts, were painful to watch.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I was very happy to see Tiger return today, but I was hoping for super human Tiger, not human Tiger.

I bet he will get it together soon, but those chips, and some of the putts, were painful to watch.

I think this could be a really good year for him. Even though yesterday was abysmal the swing looked great and he found the fairway with the driver a lot.

Now, Tiger has an opportunity......to dig out of the hole he encountered yesterday and return to respectability.  I'll be there on Sunday to watch....Hopefully, he put on a better show than yesterday. 

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

For all of Tiger's detractors who says he has lost it.... 

I would gladly give one of my kidneys to be able to play like him in his worse form. Hell... I'll throw in half my liver if I could put like him as well  :rolleyes:

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I think this could be a really good year for him. Even though yesterday was abysmal the swing looked great and he found the fairway with the driver a lot.

His full swing looks great!

His short game... hmmm... seem to flub his chips / pitch a bit. But I doubt that's something that will trouble him for long.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

He's still a great player - now one of many.  Think his struggles at the majors are health related or head related?

I've been trying this for the past five years with very few takers/converts so I will try it here again.......

It's about the putter!

It happened to Snead, Palmer and Watson in their early to mid 30's. After that they all could compete and even win regular tour events for quite some time but not majors. it's like that for Tiger and it started before the personal issues or coach changes or comebacks or anything else.

Check out the stats, he was not hitting the ball particularly well towards the end of his tenure with Hank and his body was a mess. He won a US Open on a broken leg because he holed the putts that he needed to hole to win.

Since that time though it's all changed. In his comeback Masters he was on a roll until a short miss of an Eagle putt on 13 stopped the run. That was a putt that he had never used to miss. He's constantly struggling with his speed in majors, blowing it by, leaving it short and that leads to short game issues (if I don't get this tight I'm making bogey) to approach shot issues (dunk it or settle for par) to driving issues although it's been a long time since he was a good driver. After his first return he was striking the ball great, winning regular tour events, even World Golf events, heck he returned to World number 1, but he could not win majors.

For Tiger it's all about the putter. Of course his legacy is greater even than Snead, Palmer and Watson but I don't see any more majors or certainly not enough to threaten Jack unless the putter changes. Even when Watson had that incredible run at the Open it was the putter that did him in. That's where Tiger is at.

It's not physical, it's not ball striking and it's not mental unless that's what is causing him to miss putts. It's all about the putter for him. He should take care of his swing himself and go see Dave Stockton.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Revkev, I tend to agree with your take on this, if for no other reason that I think as we get older we lose some of the "instinct" or natural coordination of vision and muscles we were able to rely on when we were younger.

When I was a kid, even though I didn't play golf, I did play Putt-Putt courses and was pretty good at it.  Even though I didn't start to play golf until I was 50, I could putt better than I do now, without really having to think about it.  I could, more or less, instinctively see the line and strike the ball well enough to make the putt or get close enough to tap in.

Once that natural ability declines, we start to "think" about our putting and the brain gets in the way.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Revkev, I tend to agree with your take on this, if for no other reason that I think as we get older we lose some of the "instinct" or natural coordination of vision and muscles we were able to rely on when we were younger.

When I was a kid, even though I didn't play golf, I did play Putt-Putt courses and was pretty good at it.  Even though I didn't start to play golf until I was 50, I could putt better than I do now, without really having to think about it.  I could, more or less, instinctively see the line and strike the ball well enough to make the putt or get close enough to tap in.

Once that natural ability declines, we start to "think" about our putting and the brain gets in the way.

:)

Perhaps it gets better as dime tai kicks in and we start to forget the misses.

It's strange age effects people differently. I've gotten to be a better putter with age. Some no all of that is a matter of confidence and clearly I'm not doing it for a living, under pressure, day after day. Clearly there are those who loose their stroke earlier than others.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

:)

Perhaps it gets better as dime tai kicks in and we start to forget the misses.

It's strange age effects people differently. I've gotten to be a better putter with age. Some no all of that is a matter of confidence and clearly I'm not doing it for a living, under pressure, day after day. Clearly there are those who loose their stroke earlier than others.

I play better, in all aspects of the game, the less I think about it.  Maybe I'm just forgetting the misses - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived