Tigers Return

In a little less than a month, Tiger will be making his return at Islesworth for the Hero World Challenge.  Anybody as excited as I am?  Tiger just brings a different element to watching golf.  I hope he comes back full strength and we get to see he and Rory duking it out on top of leaderboards.  

If he's healthy and has his mind right i see no reason why he cant have a season like he did in 2013

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

2 words

Grand Slam

That's a joke right Dan? Not a chance! Tiger may still win a few tournaments here and there, but I can't see him winning on a consistent basis again. Having said that, I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

I'd love to see him have a good season. He's just good for the game, no matter how you feel about him personally.

Gotta admit I've kinda developed a soft spot for Tiger and his past troubles over the years. It seems that post accident/scandal he's kind of lost his hubris, which is what made him behave the way he did, but also gave him that aura of invincibility on the course.  

He's still a great player - now one of many.  Think his struggles at the majors are health related or head related?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gotta admit I've kinda developed a soft spot for Tiger and his past troubles over the years. It seems that post accident/scandal he's kind of lost his hubris, which is what made him behave the way he did, but also gave him that aura of invincibility on the course.

He's still a great player - now one of many. Think his struggles at the majors are health related or head related?

I think it's just been a little bad luck that's gotten into his head. We've seen him play great in majors but then have one bad hole and it's down the tubes.

The drop from the masters that caused his two strokes was a big one. If not for that he may have had a shot at winning.

• Like 1

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think it's a combination of both. I know how my own problems have affected me on the golf course. You don't think they do, but they definitely do!

I think he can come back and win a few more majors if he can get healthy and enough time has passed from his off course problem/s. It aint like he can't play!

As a fan of golf I'm all for having the best be in the mix come Sunday. I think TW will be back and ready to compete. The one common denominator in all athletes is their competitive juices and I can see TW being very motivated this year which bodes well for people like myself; fans of the game.

• 4 weeks later...

Who all is tuning in for this today?  I will be.

Already set my DVR, work productivity is going to take a down turn today.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Have it recorded at home so NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Anyone see First Take on ESPN this morning?  Skip and Stephen A. were NOT kind to the new Tiger. 

Skip: Tiger has turned into the world's greatest used car salesmen when it comes to selling us on the new and improved Tiger and his chances of winning majors.

Stephen A: Tiger's not a winner anymore.  

Mercy!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Anyone see First Take on ESPN this morning?  Skip and Stephen A. were NOT kind to the new Tiger. 

Skip: Tiger has turned into the world's greatest used car salesmen when it comes to selling us on the new and improved Tiger and his chances of winning majors.

Stephen A: Tiger's not a winner anymore.  

Mercy!  

ouch! looks like he's peppering the spectators OUTSIDE the course boundaries at the moment ... maybe he should've tried the stock driver afterall...

Might not have been a bad idea...

Never mind Tiger's new instructor. Here's what you need to know about the new equipment he'll be playing at Isleworth

By Keely Levins

It has been well chronicled that when Tiger Woods tees off Thursday at the Hero World Challenge, it will be his first competitive round with new swing instructor/consultant Chris Como. Less well known is that it will also be his first competitive round with most of the equipment he's expecting to have in his bag.  

Nothing is official until he steps on the first tee, but it's highly likely Woods will be using new woods, irons and a new golf ball from when he last played at the PGA Championship in August. The only clubs he isn't expected to change are his wedges and putter.

Below are some of the details on his new equipment, which Tiger offered substantial input with during the R&D process. "That to me is fun, testing product," Woods said during a Nike press event in August. "Especially when I'm playing well. I think that is the best time to test. ... You always want to test when you are playing great, because obviously you can see the differences." 

Clearly he's feeling confident about all of the new gear because there are a lot of changes to his bag. Company officials are touring this as "the first time in Nike history that he has put this much new equipment in play in one week."  

Ball: RZN Black. 
This is a big change for Tiger. For the last five years, he's been playing a version of the One Tour D that had been specifically made for him. The core of the RZN is waffle-shaped and made out of a resin polymer that interlocks with the mantle layer. The One Tour D has a synthetic rubber core. Resin is lighter than rubber, which means Tiger is playing a ball that is structurally quite different than what he's been playing for half a decade. 

Driver: Vapor Speed prototype, Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board 93x shaft.
The drive has a 420 cubic-centimeter clubhead and has 10.5 degrees of loft, a big change from the 9.5-degree driver he was playing most recently. And there were times in the last couple years that he's played an 8.5-degree model. His driver is also glued in, which is different from the adjustable version that will be sold at retail. 

tiger%27s%20vapor%20driver.jpg
(Photos of Tiger's driver: Nike)

Fairway Woods: Vapor Speed 3- and 5-wood
The biggest innovation in these clubs is stability. Two thin pieces of stainless steel run through the cavity -- called Fly Beams -- to add support and stiffness to the back cavity, something Tiger specifically looks for in his clubs. The compression channel in the fairway woods is similar to the one used in the VR series, but it's varied in width and depth.  

Irons: Vapor Pro
One of the biggest alterations made in the development of these irons from the previous ones Tiger had used was moving some of the weight toward the toe. This shift in the center of gravity came from studying the wear pattern on Tiger's clubs. The ball was hitting the middle of the clubface -- which sounds ideal -- but the majority of the clubhead's weight was in the heel. Nike R&D officials wanted to get more of the mass behind the ball (for Tiger and those of his ability level, that would be the center of the face). In early trials, they drilled holes in the toe of Tiger's blades and filled them with tungsten, a heavier metal. 

"We had this idea, if we moved the CG towards the center of the face that it would have more impact and more mass right behind the ball," Tiger explained on Nike's website. "And it worked. I was able to hit the ball a little bit further, it came off more solid, and the amazing thing is the ball flew better."

Nike moved on from the tungsten plugs, and calls its final iteration "Modern Muscle technology." The new geometry produces the same result as the plugs, without using tungsten.

The change in his clubs, coupled with the changes in Woods' swing, seems to be a part of a new Tiger -- or at least a different Tiger -- one that age and injury has forced him to become. 

"We all have to make adaptations as athletes, and we have to make adjustments," Woods said Tuesday. "And I'm no different. As I've explained to you guys many times, [it's] like when M.J. [Michael Jordan] created a fadeaway. He couldn't jump over everybody anymore, and he created a new way to score and get points. I'm the same way. I can't blow it out there with some of the longer guys anymore. ... But there's other ways to go around a golf course."

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Okay, so he's a little rusty....

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yep I didn't read to much into it, although youd imagine he's been doing plenty of chipping whilst he couldn't swing it full?

swing looked ok though - although the drive down 18 still looked like it was going to cause his back some problems.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Okay, so he's a little rusty....

Rust be damned, this is surreal. All four chunked chips by Tiger today. (via @BrendanPorath and @KylePorterCBS) https://t.co/o4YkB4k4Mn

— No Laying Up (@NoLayingUp) December 4, 2014

Looks like some of my chips when I play on Bermuda for the first time.

Yep I didn't read to much into it, although youd imagine he's been doing plenty of chipping whilst he couldn't swing it full?

swing looked ok though - although the drive down 18 still looked like it was going to cause his back some problems.

I agree. For as long as he's been able to chip, I expect better. Looks like he's only been chipping for the last day or two.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”