Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Patrick Reed's Mouth = More Trouble

GolfSpy Barbajo

Big fines coming Patrick Reed's way -- a couple of expletives and a gay slur on the course at the HSBC has the Ryder Cupper in hot water.   Click here for the story.

Outspoken is one thing, but what kind of action should the tour take?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It'll be a hefty fine which is really no more than a slap on the wrist. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Key question - should he be held accountable for something he mutters to himself? Has anyone here ever muttered something similar when leaving a putt short?

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/11/patrick-reed-muttered-somethin.html

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Key question - should he be held accountable for something he mutters to himself? Has anyone here ever muttered something similar when leaving a putt short?

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/11/patrick-reed-muttered-somethin.html

You know, I'm with you on this.  If it wasn't for mics being EVERYWHERE, this wouldn't have been heard.  Stop invading personal space and you won't have incidents like this.

My personal feeling is that is why we have a time delay on live programming.  Happens in other sports all the time, and even if you can't hear it, it's hard to not to lip read the F-bomb from the sidelines in football.  I agree with Brad, this is going to get blown out of proportion just because there happened to be a mic on him.

On the flip side, if you play on the PGA tour you knew what you were getting in to when you went out to play.  If those are the rules then you need to follow them.  Pay the fine and move on, this should not be a huge media story. 

I bet if this happened during Tiger's first tourney back we wouldn't have even heard of it.  There would actually be other stories for the media to cover.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If you are in the spotlight whether you are in sports, politics etc., there should be a higher standard to which one should follow. Do they make errors, certainly and that is where the lesson comes in. The swear word I can think many have used it including myself, the other is where the real penalty should come in. If he was in the corporate world he would have very serious concerns and to a certain degree he is as he has sponsors. What do you think the reaction might be of one of his sponsors who happen to have a gay child? This is right up there with making a derogatory comment about another race; there are legal consequences when you choose to travel down that road.

If you are in the spotlight whether you are in sports, politics etc., there should be a higher standard to which one should follow. Do they make errors, certainly and that is where the lesson comes in. The swear word I can think many have used it including myself, the other is where the real penalty should come in. If he was in the corporate world he would have very serious concerns and to a certain degree he is as he has sponsors. What do you think the reaction might be of one of his sponsors who happen to have a gay child? This is right up there with making a derogatory comment about another race; there are legal consequences when you choose to travel down that road.

That's an excellent point Mav...there are things we say without thinking in private or when golfing with buddies...but wouldn't even think of saying when we're at work or in a business environment.  I'm a public speaker by day and believe me - the words you use and the things you say are very important and professional language is the best language.  

Patrick Reed was at work and in the public eye - it's a different standard.  

Heard an old comedian on satellite radio a while back who had a line that applies here...

"People tell me you gotta watch what you say.  But I don't.  I watch what I think..."

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think he should embrace this, and get a contract with Loudmouth Golf.  As far as what he said, since I have said far worse to myself as he was doing it, I will not fault him.

Had he yelled this, or said it to someone else, I might fell differently.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

From Reed's Twitter feed today....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For those who suggest it has been blown out of proportion:

A couple schools of thought for you. The PGA is a company/product. And by association, the players are a sub contractor of the company. Since they make their living from the company they are responsible on how they represent the brand and the associated identities that are spun off of it. Anyone involved in business will understand the very fine line you manage on a daily basis in how you represent your company/brand.

To me the swear word is a poor choice but one that is used and to a certain degree is acceptable and that does include the world of professional sports. The racial slur is completely different though. Nobody in their right mind would ever use one, nor should they. Speaks volumes of one's mental makeup. If a spectator called TW for example a racial slur, would he get a pass? There would be consequences for it.

I can appreciate the heat of the moment scenario as well, I played sports and have said things where the spectators would have heard it and shake my head about it now. Never a racial slur though, my parents taught me that was unacceptable.

As for his apology big deal, he got caught and had to say something. I've done some “critical strategy” (public relations) work before and I can just imagine his agent getting the “call” and hit the scramble mode. They could have done a better job than what was done.

The punishment for what was said, not certain what would be just: but I do know/feel there is an opportunity for the company (PGA) to set the standard for acceptable conduct moving forward.

The punishment for what was said, not certain what would be just: but I do know/feel there is an opportunity for the company (PGA) to set the standard for acceptable conduct moving forward.

Yup.

There is a standard for workplace behavior and what you can and can't say...HR departments spend their lives writing and rewriting company handbooks and guidelines.  One can lament about the world becoming too "politically correct" but no one should feel offended or discriminated against.  If anyone of us used those words in front of customers there would be consequences.

Patrick Reed didn't say anything I haven't said to myself when leaving putts short - but there is a difference.  No one pays money to watch me play golf (they "pay" in other ways  :lol: ), and I don't get paid to play, so I don't have to answer to sponsors, tournament directors, equipment companies, etc.  There's a difference, IMO.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived