TESTERS WANTED! ×

Afraid to play new balls

GolfSpy Tim

You read that right. I just won at dozen Pro V1 balls. I love them, but I normally play them when I've found them used. Then I don't feel bad when a $4 ball disappears into the woods/water.

What it comes down to, my game has gone to crap over the last 18 months. I haven't played as much as I'd like, and my swing isn't what I'd like it to be.

So I've got a dozen new balls sitting on my desk and I'm considering just saving them for later (I WILL get better)

Anyone else ever run into this? In the past I've just played them, lost them, and forgot about them.

I often save my best balls for when I am playing best or when I need to play my best.  If as I did the past weekend, spray the ball all over the course, I use balls that I have found or have already played a round or two with.  I will also admit that I use found second rate balls on the holes where water is definitely in play.  Most of these you are either on the green or in the water so the fact I am giving up short game spin for that hole is insignificant.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Understand completely. Been there myself. I'm actually there now. Pro V1 in the drawer, Wilson Deep Red (!!!!) in the bag. 

We have to distance ourselves from the equipment. We have too much respect for the golf balls. I'm not kidding. It's personal. You actually feel bad when you lose them. It's just a golf ball. There are more where it came from.

I used to buy cheap balls to switch to if I started losing to many during a round. Now I buy used balls from lost golfballs so when I switch I still have the performance but less cost if and when I lose one.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If I lose a ball, it's going to be on the first tee. I have become so paranoid about it that I use a used ball on #1. Happens most when I am playing an unfamiliar course, and if it is an especially nice course! There is a brand new Z-Star in the woods on #1 at Gold Mountain Cascade course in Bremerton, WA, a dogleg right; and another one in a canyon on #1 at Quail Ridge in Clarkston, WA. The miss is a pull left, and it's the only time during a round that I do that; normally a straight hitter. So, I save the new ball for the second hole!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have some custom number 25 Tour Preferred X that I bring out for matches, tourney's ect...  Other than that I'll keep playing the same ball until I lose it.  I'll absolutely play balls I find on the course if they are a ball I like and in good condition.

As for switching to a "crappy" ball for specific shots or holes, nope.  IMO doing that tells yourself it's OK if you lose this ball or don't hit a good shot.  I used to do that when I started out golfing.  I got some great advice from a much better golfer who told me to stop doing that.  Continue to use your good ball and you will concentrate that much more on the shot.  The penalty is the same to your score either way, but if you lose a good ball a couple times you will feel the pain more and work to get better.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have a friend back in TN that I play with when we have a trip together. I remember once playing in Florida on a hole that has water in front of the tee, he took a ball out of his bag and tossed it into the water. Then he hit his tee shot. Said it saves him a stroke, because he always hit in the water even if the water really isn't in play with a decent shot. It seems to work for him.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've had good luck buying used ProV1x balls on eBay. I can't justify buying them brand new because I still lose too many, although I have started making it through more rounds with only one or two. I don't use junk balls on harder tee shots or over water because its not a thought I want to put in my head at all. I feel like if I use a junk ball for a harder shot then I'm not in control of the mental aspect of my game. Doesn't always work but not paying $4 a ball makes it easier to cope with.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I play either Bridgestone E-5 or B330-RXS, depending on a whim when I buy them. I use the same ball until I lose it, which will happen in golf. So be it.

I am thinking about getting a couple of boxes of MG Tour C4's to see what they're like. If I like them, they may be my normal ball.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

They are only golfballs......I select from my plethora of balls, based upon the weather, course and type of competition.  If I am playing like crap on the front 9, then I will switch to a cheaper ball.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Yep used to be like that, would use an older ball (same type though) on 1, 2 and 3 then switch once I felt my game was properly warmed up! Daft really and something I no longer do - mind you ive lost some nice balls on their first whack - the hole had little to do with that.

I won't use pro v1's unless conditions encourage it though - when it gets wet and cold I head to srixon or velocity or e6's. Balls are already plugging in greens here - 4 dollar balls make no difference.

Have recently tried the ad333 tour and been quite impressed.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I think the bad thing for me right now is I'm mentally in a place where I'm affected by the idea of playing a new ball - I gotta get myself a coach! lol

The last sentence was the most sensible thing written by any of us in months.

Other than that think of the balls as beers. You'll gladly loose a bottle of beer that cost you 4 bucks while watching a ball game or after a round. You would never think of not drinking the beer because it's going to be lost. the beer is meant to be consumed and the balls are meant to be hit.

Hit the balls!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I play a course with a lot of water, and on my casual rounds, I only use found balls or old tournament balls.  I still find a fair number of pro vs in the marshes on my course, and there are about 5 holes where I never even use a used prov.  I will switch to a different ball like a bridgestone or a nike.  I understand that this is bad for my mental game because I am more worried about losing the ball than my score, but I just can't justify losing a bunch of nice "used" balls when I can hit a ball that I would not be as worried about losing.  The other day, I played with two other people that only play found balls, and they said that they have not bought a single ball the whole year, and they only play proVs.  At my course, there are a lot of people that really don't care to look for their balls, and if you know where to look, you can find a lot of proVs or other nice balls.  In a stream running down the right side of hole 14, I have found a pool of ProVs.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I play a course with a lot of water, and on my casual rounds, I only use found balls or old tournament balls.  I still find a fair number of pro vs in the marshes on my course, and there are about 5 holes where I never even use a used prov.  I will switch to a different ball like a bridgestone or a nike.  I understand that this is bad for my mental game because I am more worried about losing the ball than my score, but I just can't justify losing a bunch of nice "used" balls when I can hit a ball that I would not be as worried about losing.  The other day, I played with two other people that only play found balls, and they said that they have not bought a single ball the whole year, and they only play proVs.  At my course, there are a lot of people that really don't care to look for their balls, and if you know where to look, you can find a lot of proVs or other nice balls.  In a stream running down the right side of hole 14, I have found a pool of ProVs.

Sounds like the spring tourist golf season down here. I swear every tourist that comes down here must buy and loose 2 dozen Pro Vs. I usually find in those 2 months enough Pro Vs to play my recreational and practice rounds with for some time. But as far as loosing a ball I don't give two hoots about the ball just the bad shot I hit and the lost ball penality

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I hit two good balls yesterday... I stepped on a rake.

LOL made me hurt just reading about it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Played yesterday with a friend who's something of a novice - lost 3 balls off the first tee and after finally being encouraged to throw one down on the fairway and use a 7 iron.....the head flew off his 7 iron.

100 yards cost him 3 balls and a club, amazing.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I hit two good balls yesterday... I stepped on a rake.

I actually have that on a t-shirt.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I actually have that on a t-shirt.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Sounds like you need to re-train your brain. Try this:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

LMAO!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Pics of him stepping on the rake or the T shirt? :)

G

Sounds like you need to re-train your brain. Try this:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Too funny but you gave me an idea. Wonder if I could do that and sell them to the tourons when they come here???

G

I will use a new ball every time I play if i am playing a full 9 or 18 holes.  I play Taylormade Lethals and buy last years models at a discount.  My wedge game shreds the cover after a few holes anyway so my balls are usually pretty beat up after a round anyway.  I keep the best used ones and play them when i am just playing a few holes or if my swing is all over the place.  I will use found balls when i find them and try them but only during practice rounds.  I prefer to play the same ball i feel it helps my game to practice and play the same ball so i can know what should happen with my shots.  

The penalty stroke used annoys me more then the lost ball unless i just pulled it out of the sleeve and it was the first hit.  

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

Archived