Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Is Jim Furyk overrated?

Mr_Theoo

Who do you think are some of the overrated or underrated players on tour?

For me its Jordan Speith and Bubba.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nope. Solid player

Agreed. Inside the top 20 in the majors this year with a 4th at the Open Championship, T5 at the PGA Championship, 2nd at the Players, and T2 at the Tour Championship. Not bad, for 44 year old! My kind of player; not a bomber, but finds a way to score.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Agreed. Inside the top 20 in the majors this year with a 4th at the Open Championship, T5 at the PGA Championship, 2nd at the Players, and T2 at the Tour Championship. Not bad, for 44 year old! My kind of player; not a bomber, but finds a way to score.

They made a good point in the video that he hasn't won in 4 years though

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Furyk is the classic "show" horse.   Meaning you NEVER pick him to win a race, but you always bet him to show.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I've always liked Furyk. If you can make a career on Tour with THAT swing, then no you're not overrated.

I also happen to agree that Spieth is hugely overrated.  He has 1 win on a horrible shot that would have been in the water had it not hit the flagstick and dropped in the hole and can't close out a tournament even when the big dogs are not playing.

When every young player comes out and does pretty well early on, he becomes highly rated fairly quickly.  But it's what they do with it after the first couple of years that tells the story about where they should be rated.  

As they pointed out in the video, Sergio was highly rated early in his career, lots of talent, but quickly faded when he couldn't close the deal.  His waggles, putting and attitude ruined him.  I hope he gets it back.

Rory came out, did very well, had a bad year when he changed clubs, then it took off for him.  

I like Spieth.  I am sure he will do fine as he's gets more familiar with the courses on the tour.

As I said, Furyk is solid.  He will win some more, but it will largely depend on the courses he chooses to play.  I think he is always in contention in the majors.

My pick for overrated for the past several years (maybe it's more underachieved), is Lee Westwood.  What a great player, that has come so close to majors but always falls short.  And his time is running out.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nope. Solid player

I agree he has done well with that funky swing of his and he has not tried to change a thing about it over the years. He is getting a little age on him now and since he has been on tour things have really changed with the depth of competition every week but he still gets it. I really started pulling for him after Feherty described his swing as an "octopus falling out of a tree" but one thing about it he has won more money and tournaments with that swing than Feherty ever dreamed of

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As already said, solid player. There's been a lot more flash in the pans.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Overrated in what way? Wins? Talent? If wins is the criteria, he certainly has won enough in his career. He hasn't won recently, but he's always "in the game." If Talent is the criteria, he sure doesn't lack in that category either. So..... overrated?.... nope.

I agree with the guy in the video. Sergio would be my pick for overrated. So much talent, so little to show for it.

Archived