Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Add your Winter Golf tips here.

markb

Since we had so many responses from fanatical winter golfers stating that it's never too cold for a loop, I thought I'd start a thread about favorite pointers for successful winter golf.   Here are some of mine.  Some aren't strictly legal, but winter rounds aren't postable in my association anyway.

1.  Thermal heat paks -  I buy them in bulk from costco.   Two in my right hand pocket, one in each cart mitten.   Gotta keep them rocks warm. 

warmers.jpg

2.  Three ball rotation -   Two in the pocket heating up, one on the course.  Switch every hole.

3.   Clic Gear cart mitten for those who walk -  Walking with a push cart keeps you warmer than riding anyway, and these universal mittens will attach to about any cart and allow you to keep the hands warm and push at the same time.

mitt.jpg

4.  Tommy Two Gloves -   You can buy fluffier winter specific gloves, but I prefer the standard gloves.   Again, Costco sells decent Callaway 3 glove packs in both Left AND Right hands.

5.  Balaclava -  The thin ones for skiing are ideal.   Ears throat and mouth covered when needed, you can yank em down under your chin when necessary.

6.  Multiple Layers Even Necessary? -  Not really.   I never bother with the long underwear, I find that a long sleeved knit top under a vest is fine down to about 40.   When it gets colder, I'll switch to a long sleeved top tunic with zippered turtle neck over the long sleeved shirt and just this variable neck provides all the heat regulation I need.   Heat loss comes mainly from head, hands and ankles, so if you take care of the head and hands (see 4 and 5 above) garment layers are not critical.

7.  Nike Bandon golf boots -   A decent pair of thick socks and these golf boots (either old or new model) and you are set for any degree of sloppy slogging.   They are hi-tops and waterproof.   Get 'em in a size bigger than you normally would. 

bandon.jpg

8.  Contigo thermos -   These will keep a large cup of coffee warm for over 4 hours even in bitter cold weather.   Also useful for cleaning mud off of clubs when your towel freezes.

contigo.jpg

9.  Soft Compression Golf Ball -  The Wilson FG Tour at about 70 compression is great down to about 40, below that you need to go Callaway SuperSoft or Wilson Duo.   Duo Yellows are what I prefer.  I played them last night on the back nine when the temp started to dip and my partner even noticed that my shots were going farther than his when we were about even on the front.   On the 18th when it was dark, I was 50 yards by him. 

10.  Keep your balls in a Ziploc and bring them in the house over night.

11.  Club brushes and plenty of towels -  You need them more in the winter than in the summer.

12.  Ball retriever -  Not needed, just extremely useful.   Guys don't bother to fetch stray balls in the winter and pond levels are often low.   I've hauled in 300-400 balls a day during some winter rounds.  There's nobody out there to stop me or complain.   I'm still using balls from last winter's harvest.

13.  Lastly, Peppermint Schnapps -  Don't know why the Peppermint works better than other flavors, but it does.  Cigars are also recommended, but you'll need a good wind proof lighter.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Great list!

1. Got 'em!  Need  'em!
  2. Keep rotating 'em
  3. Don't have Clic Gear, but use Ultimittens, attached to the cart all winter and spring.  Will attach this weekend since it is supposed to get into the 30's and 40's.
  4. I will wear gloves occasionally, but since I don't normally wear gloves, I will rely on #3 until it is really cold.
  5. Yep!  got one.
  6. Multilayers only needed if riding in a cart; it changes your swing too.  I did last year because of the knee surgery, but not this year.  You walk, you stay warm!
  7. Love my Nike Bandon Dunes!  I bought them for wet, but they are also warm!
  8. Hadn't heard of the Contigo; will get one!
  9. Will go with the 3Up 2S14 this winter after playing them for a week.  Wish they came in yellow though.  May have to pick up a few yellow Duos.
  10. Last year, I started bringing in my bag.  I always keep it in the trunk ready for action incase someone calls, but bring it in in the winter and when it get over 100 in the summer.
  11. Don't need any more brushes or towels in the winter.  It's dry here and the grass is dormant.
  12. Not many places to retrieve balls, only the adjacent farmer's field; don't climb over the fence because his wife has a shotgun and she has used it!
  13. Peppermint schnapps is always a winner; a friend also has a cigar clip to attach to the cart, very handy.

My only other change is I go to a softer flex driver.  With old age, added clothes. and the temperature, I swing a little easier trying not to hurt myself!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Gonna use my first winter trip next week - Sales Meeting in Vegas, with sites set on TPC Vegas and Bear's Best,,,

bests.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm very confused by this thread. Winter is the best time for golf. Isn't it?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Awwww, Rev...that's hurtful  :mad:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You beat me to this! What's not to love about winter golf? Just tee off an hour or two later than you would during the summer. You know- wait for the temp to hit 65 or so.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived