TESTERS WANTED! ×

Gotta love finding a box from Mizuno on the porch...

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

So I came home today and there was a nice box from Mizuno on the porch.

Quickly brought it inside and started cracking it open.

Let me walk you through it...

box.jpg

OK looks promising. Let's crack that open...

openbox.jpg

What kind of shafts are those?

shaft.jpg

That grip looks a little different...

grip.jpg

OK, let's see that beautiful MP-58 head :)

head.jpg

Now wait that is not a MP-58. An many of you know, a golfer of my skill has about as much chance playing effectively with MP-58 as a high school chemistry student does transmuting lead to gold. Once I got into discussion with Iver from Mizuno, he told me that I could build any set of irons, not just the 58's. MX300's are way more my speed. Well still a little "fast", but they are closer.

He also said that I could get whatever shafts or grips fit the best. Enter PX 5.5 and Mizuno new decades. A couple of swings in the backyard and I am hooked. I am off to the range as soon as they replace the 09 Burners in the bag.

Big thanks to Iver and Mizuno Golf. This was perhaps the most fun I have had ordering a set of clubs. Iver was very patient as I wavered back and forth about specs. Once I wear the grooves flat on these, my next set will likely be Mizuno. Brand loyal for certain after this experience.

Thanks too to MGS and all of the forum members who I have posted with over the past two months. March was a crazy month, but all of you made it fun too.

That's all for now, I need to go and put some ball marks on these heads!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Looking good. I wish that some SWAG would show up on my front door. Still waiting on Seemore, Cleveland, and Scratch (although that is on me.)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Looking good. I wish that some SWAG would show up on my front door. Still waiting on Seemore, Cleveland, and Scratch (although that is on me.)

Now a set of Scratch Blades or even a custom combo of Scratch irons would be some SWAG......................... I'm still looking but someone must have lifted them from my porch. LOL

PS: great pick up on those Mizzy's Sactown!

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Now a set of Scratch Blades or even a custom combo of Scratch irons would be some SWAG......................... I'm still looking but someone must have lifted them from my porch. LOL

PS: great pick up on those Mizzy's Sactown!

Tim

I just need to schedule a fitting with Jon @ Scratch to figure out the grind I need on my fancy new wedge. Is there any way to pack like 6 more hours into a day???

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Very nice... I'm picking up my MX-950's tomorrow after work... can't wait... I feel your excitement...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Nice, very nice. That feeling you get when you open the box- SOOOOOO good. Especially when I got the bag, because the box was enormous. Those irons looks great too, and the PX shafts, and the New Decades, and that piece of foam in the box.....

• SPY VIP

Great stuff Sactown. I definitely feel you're Mizuno brand loyalty, I'm on that bus myself. The 300's feel so sweet and are nice and forgiving. Have they booted the Burners for sure?

I Burners are in the garage. 300's hit grass tomorrow. Probably need more range time to truly dial them in, but it would be like getting a new car and not driving it. Short irons, for example, are coming up a bit short distance wise. I am sure that I have some funky delofting think going on. Hammering the longer irons though. Fully prepared to card 150 tomorrow, but I can feel that they will help me to improve.

Volvo Intorqueo

Very Nice Sir!

I know what mean about opening boxes of new stuff. We get a steady stream of new goodies to try during the course of the year (one of the benefits of being a golf blogger) and I'm giddy like a kid during Christmas every time one comes in. :D

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I Burners are in the garage. 300's hit grass tomorrow. Probably need more range time to truly dial them in, but it would be like getting a new car and not driving it. Short irons, for example, are coming up a bit short distance wise. I am sure that I have some funky delofting think going on. Hammering the longer irons though. Fully prepared to card 150 tomorrow, but I can feel that they will help me to improve.

You slut. A new set of irons comes along and you jump right on them. :D

BTW, the shorter distance probably isn't due to delofting. I haven't looked it up but I'd almost be willing to bet that those Mizzy's aren't as strong lofted as your Burners...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Irons were great on the course today, such a solid feel. Still way short with the short irons though. Time to get a lesson.

Putted like garbage. Bettinardi and I may be out of love. I think it is too heavy...

Volvo Intorqueo

Congratulations on the new sticks.

First thing to do is take off the stickers in the back.

Mine were reshafted to Rifle 6.0s (spined) after slightly struggling with the stock NS Pros. The first 2 rounds were good. Unfortunately the ground conditions are firm and extremely dry right now and they tend to bounce off the hardpan on bad swings. Mine are going back in the closet in favor of the Epon 301s/PX until conditions get softer.

So I came home today and there was a nice box from Mizuno on the porch.

Quickly brought it inside and started cracking it open.

Let me walk you through it...

box.jpg

OK looks promising. Let's crack that open...

openbox.jpg

What kind of shafts are those?

shaft.jpg

That grip looks a little different...

grip.jpg

OK, let's see that beautiful MP-58 head ;)

head.jpg

Now wait that is not a MP-58. An many of you know, a golfer of my skill has about as much chance playing effectively with MP-58 as a high school chemistry student does transmuting lead to gold. Once I got into discussion with Iver from Mizuno, he told me that I could build any set of irons, not just the 58's. MX300's are way more my speed. Well still a little "fast", but they are closer.

He also said that I could get whatever shafts or grips fit the best. Enter PX 5.5 and Mizuno new decades. A couple of swings in the backyard and I am hooked. I am off to the range as soon as they replace the 09 Burners in the bag.

Big thanks to Iver and Mizuno Golf. This was perhaps the most fun I have had ordering a set of clubs. Iver was very patient as I wavered back and forth about specs. Once I wear the grooves flat on these, my next set will likely be Mizuno. Brand loyal for certain after this experience.

Thanks too to MGS and all of the forum members who I have posted with over the past two months. March was a crazy month, but all of you made it fun too.

That's all for now, I need to go and put some ball marks on these heads!

Nice looking set. I really like how you put blue decades on your irons. The blue from the grip plus the project x sticker and the head looks sweet.

Fairways and Greens

Golf Galaxy is closing out the Project X shafts for some reason, when I was in there Sunday.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

There has been a price drop on these shafts recently.... hmmmmm..

• SPY VIP

That is a nice looking set of irons Sactown! I absolutely love the Mx-300's. They are some the best feeling irons have ever hit.

Really like them so far. Honeymoon period or not, they just feel great.

Volvo Intorqueo

i love the 300's---got mine a few weeks ago--wanted to hug the UPS driver. Got mine with the Nippon shafts.....feel like butter. They are incredible

Did you go through the Shaft Optimizer to figure that out???

• 4 weeks later...

Great set. I love my zuno's. I first starte3d playing on MP33's !!! Who knew they were not the right club for a 50yr old beginner??? Now I play the 950's w/graphite and love them.

Enjoy the 300's

Popeye

I'm almost exactly 1 year into my MP-52 irons with PX 5.5. It took me a couple months to get really comfortable with them, but I am hitting them well now...and I absolutely love them. I wish I would have upgraded the grips when I bought them. Based on my excitment for the irons, I just switched from Cleveland to the MP T-10 black satin wedges. Without a doubt, the best wedges I have ever hit. Admittedly, I haven't hit the Eidolon, Scratch, etc...but you won't find anything better from the major manufacturers.

Finally, I like the Golf Pride multi-compound and seem to remember seeing a version they had out that was red, white and blue...but I can't find them now. Anyone have info on where I could find them?

• SPY VIP

I'm almost exactly 1 year into my MP-52 irons with PX 5.5. It took me a couple months to get really comfortable with them, but I am hitting them well now...and I absolutely love them. I wish I would have upgraded the grips when I bought them. Based on my excitment for the irons, I just switched from Cleveland to the MP T-10 black satin wedges. Without a doubt, the best wedges I have ever hit. Admittedly, I haven't hit the Eidolon, Scratch, etc...but you won't find anything better from the major manufacturers.

Finally, I like the Golf Pride multi-compound and seem to remember seeing a version they had out that was red, white and blue...but I can't find them now. Anyone have info on where I could find them?

You are looking for the Patriot GP grips...

Golfsmith link: http://www.golfsmith.com/products/17431KIT/?lcode=CI&cm_mmc=Shopping+Engines-_-GoogleBase-_-xx-_-xx&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=17431KIT----&tcode=fr_home

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived