TESTERS WANTED! ×

Aldila Rogue: The Must Have Shaft for 2015?

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Rogues sm.jpg

I am having a hard time remembering when a shaft has created such a buzz like the Aldila Rogue has recently. The only other shaft that comes to mind that had a similar hype was when Tiger was gaming the Diamana white board, or was that blue board...

Anyway, the Aldila Rogue is front and center in the current shaft arena. Pros are winning with it. I saw Hunter Mahan demoing the G30 with various shafts and the one that he took to the course had the Rogue.

Here's a couple of talking points for a Monday afternoon...

• Will we see the Rogue in the bag of the average golfer?
  • This is not an inexpensive shaft, but what if after a fitting it was the best for your game?
  • What kind of performance gains would you need before dropping the cash to go Rogue?
  • Do you think that you would fit the black or the silver version?

For those not familiar with the shaft, I have pasted the latest release below.

--------------------

Aldila releases Rogue – #1 driver shaft model on Tour

Advanced aerospace materials and design technology yields unmatched performance, consistency

POWAY, Calif. – The most popular driver shaft on the PGA Tour is now available to consumers. After dominating on Tour in the latter half of 2014, Aldila is now shipping its highly-anticipated Rogue Silver and Rogue Black shafts through leading clubmakers, fitters and distributors worldwide.

Aldila's Rogue has been the #1 driver shaft model on the PGA Tour at 34 consecutive events, dating back to the 2014 season, according to the Darrell Survey.  It has already been used in the driver of the winners of 10 total tour events.  The Rogue dominated the end of the 2014 PGA Tour season winning 6 of the last 12 events, including 3 out of 4 FedEx Cup playoff events.

The Rogue Silver has a stiff tip section for a mid to low launch with low spin, while the Rogue Black has a medium-stiff tip section and slightly higher torque for a mid-high launch with moderate spin.

“The Rogue offers unmatched performance and consistency through the use of advanced, rare, and extremely expensive aerospace materials,” said John Oldenburg, Aldila's Vice President of Engineering and Product Development. “No other golf shaft on the market today uses the advanced, extremely high modulus, ‘Graphitic Carbon' fibers that provide performance characteristics never before available in a golf shaft. By combining graphitic carbon with Aldila's NexGen Micro Laminate Technology, and a constant taper profile, the Rogue provides exceptional feel, power, and consistency.  The unique counterbalanced mass distribution also creates a shaft that matches perfectly with today's modern, high-tech, heavier driver heads.”

According to Oldenburg, all of the available tour proven Rogue models employ ‘Graphitic Carbon' with a modulus ranging from 95 MSI (million pounds per square inch) in the Rogue Black, to 110 MSI in the Rogue Silver, and 125 MSI in the “Limited Edition – Made in U.S.A.” Rogue.  The modulus of the graphite material used in typical graphite shafts ranges from 33 MSI to 55 MSI.  By incorporating this new material, Aldila (www.aldila.com) is able to make the shaft stiffer and lower torque without adding weight.  At the same time, the placement of the material in top third of the shaft (grip end) allows the shaft manufacturer to slightly counterbalance the shaft to work well with today's heavier driver heads and the longer length of modern drivers.

The stiff tip Rogue Silver will be available in 60 and 70 gram versions in R, S, and X flexes. The mid-stiff tip Rogue Black will be available in 60, 70, 80 versions as well as an 85 gram hybrid shaft in R, S, and X flexes.

Rogue shafts are available now through select distributors and clubmakers with a suggested retail price of $449.

Aldila (www.aldila.com) offers patented shaft design technologies that consistently outperform other shafts available. This technology advantage is the reason Aldila is the most popular graphite shaft among top touring professionals. These top professionals recognize Aldila's advanced performance and year after year that there are more Aldila wood and hybrid shafts in play than any other shaft manufacturer on Tour.  Whether the Micro Laminate Technologyâ„¢ first introduced in Aldila NVâ„¢, the most popular graphite ever or today's Nex Generation Micro Laminate Technology, Aldila engineers are continually pushing and advancing high performance graphite golf shaft technology well beyond any other manufacturer.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Yes, the Rogue is the hottest shaft around and will be in 2015. 

I just lost two ebay auctions for uncut Rogue 95 Blacks at $117, which I thought was pretty low.   I will get one of these soon though.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I was at a GolfSmith the other day and hit the demo 915 D3 demo with the Rogue Silver and it was phenomenal.  The best a driver has felt in my hand since my 905t with and Aldila NV 65.  

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

I own the 110msi 60 stiff and I demoed it as much as possible this past month before buying. My first impression was I can't form a hard opinion on the shaft. Everyother shaft I demoed for a new driver purchase would leave a strong impresion such as... soft, heavy, light, boardy, whippy, lots of kick, sags at the top, etc etc. I could find something to say about every shaft except the 110msi 60 stiff. It was like it didn't have a personality, but that was good. What I found after a bunch of balls was the dispersion was tighter than most and it worked for many different swing speeds, moods, tempos, etc. After a session or two what I think is going on is the counter balance. The shaft says 60, but it is actualy a 69 gram shaft that plays lighter - it's got the performance stability of a 70 gram shaft, but the feel of a low 60 gram shaft. It's not loose, so it works well with several different lofts in my range as it helps keep balloon balls away. The torque is 3.4 which is right on for me too.

I spy with my little eye something...

I predict this will be the shaft of the year

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Played the Aldila Tour Green this year - liked it very much.  Would like to give this a spin in the Nike Pro and see how it delivers...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have never liked Aldila shafts, but I have a Rogue Silver to test in the Double Black Diamond. I'm just annoyed that it is getting so cold up here.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Not certain I will be playing it, not because of the cost as my Accra is in the same price range but my friend is co-partner at Accra and this is why I play Accra and that would include the Accra bag, loyalty is important to me. Plus they work very well for me. 

I think if someone had a copy of the Darrell Survey it would be interesting to see the numbers on what is in play. I know all the shaft companies get plenty of play. Accra has over 100 players on the PGA Tour alone; plus all of the other Tours as well. Same with all the shaft companies.

Time will tell if it is the hottest shaft going and then how the consumer market reacts to it.

The 110msi version is legit. Hit it multiple times now and am strongly considering it. But I want to hit the new Vapor with it in if, as that's the driver that I've got my eye on.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Not certain I will be playing it, not because of the cost as my Accra is in the same price range but my friend is co-partner at Accra and this is why I play Accra and that would include the Accra bag, loyalty is important to me. Plus they work very well for me. 

I think if someone had a copy of the Darrell Survey it would be interesting to see the numbers on what is in play. I know all the shaft companies get plenty of play. Accra has over 100 players on the PGA Tour alone; plus all of the other Tours as well. Same with all the shaft companies.

Time will tell if it is the hottest shaft going and then how the consumer market reacts to it.

Aren't there only 175 regular players on the tour?

markb,

Not certain the number of people that are on Tour but some if not most players use for instance one shaft that might be Matrix in their driver, Accra in their hybrid etc. Plus, I seriously doubt Accra would claim this unless it was true. Many ways the shaft companies can skin a cat to get the numbers that they use and especially under the very real pursuit of false advertising claims. None of them would risk this unless their claims were verified.

The only way I know for certain was if someone had a recent copy of the Darell Survey .

Gonna stick with my Project X shafts........they seem to have the right kick point for my swing.....and my wallet!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I wouldn't mind trying out the Rogue in Titleist 915. I might make the trip this winter to a fitter with a launch monitor to see some numbers and get a real comparison to my G25. I've had the Aldila RIP Phenom NL in my G25 for a few months now and I absolutely love it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Just a word to the wise regarding which shaft you're looking at, there is a limited tour edition shaft and a retail shaft. The tour silver is 125msi and the tour black is 110msi. The retail silver is 110 and the retail black is 95. Keep that in mind if you purchase a shaft on the secondary market. The tour will have a serial number number etched on the shaft and a stamp stating which run it was a part of. The tour shafts are going for north of $400 on ebay and other resale sites. The retail shaft, which are about to flood the market with standard offerings in Titleist and Tour Edge, are going for a lot less. To the average golfer, there will not be a noticeable difference between the tour and retail shaft, but to the advanced golfer, the tour shaft has a stiffer tip from what I'm told. Also, there is a noticeable difference between the silver and black when it comes to spin. It appears the silver is a low/mid spin shaft and the black is a mid/high spin shaft. 

If you have a quick, hard transition then I would advise to test this shaft before you buy. The guys with the smoother transitions are falling over themselves to play this shaft mainly due to the tight dispersion. Guys on tour who are playing this shaft are smooth swingers like Jimmy Walker, Bill Haas, and Geoff Ogilvy but also some of the guys who really go after it like Scott Stallings. 

If you don't want to spend the money on a rogue silver, the tour green is an adequate substitute. Sure, you will be playing with last year's shaft, but I know a lot of guys that play the tour green and don't see a need to upgrade to the rogue silver. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Here's the chart about where the Rogue stack up from Titleist.

spin.jpg

Well, I guess I'm gonna find out as I just bought an uncut stiff Rogue Black 95 60 for $112 bucks.    The Black 110's were going for about $150.   I'll let you know what I learn when I learn it.   I'm a 105-108 SS guy who tends to launch low.   I haven't done well with the low spin Alpha and Sldr, so the black seemed like it would be better for me.

I took the Rogue Silver 110 out in the Alpha Black Diamond today. The weather was not ideal, 30ish and windy, but I was very pleased with the performance. I was able to control the trajectory very well and the ball seemed to cut through the wind and stay on line. It is also smoother feeling than previous Aldila shafts, I have always thought that they had a dull, boardy feel but the Rogue was smooth and seemed to really snap through impact.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna be pretty hard to unseat the RIP Phenom shafts.

Ping K15 10.5° Regular TFC

Maxfli 3 Wood 15° Regular Series 76 tip stiff

Adams A12OS 19° 3 Hybrid Pro Launch Blue Regular

Wilson Staff C-100 4-GW Aldila RIP Phenom xi75 Regular

TMag ATV 54° & 58° Wedges KBS wedge flex

YES Callie-12 C-Groove milled, 35" Winn Jumbo Light grip

I actually think the Phenom wasn't that great as far as Aldila's shafts go. The Rogue, which I've now tried in 3 heads, works well and IMO is an update to one of their more classic shafts. The original RIP was, to me, the best in that shaft family. But the Rogue has a chance to be as epic as the NV, IMO.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I actually think the Phenom wasn't that great as far as Aldila's shafts go. The Rogue, which I've now tried in 3 heads, works well and IMO is an update to one of their more classic shafts. The original RIP was, to me, the best in that shaft family. But the Rogue has a chance to be as epic as the NV, IMO.

C'mon RB, I'm begging you to share more impressions of your experiences with the various Rogues!   You try everything, but you're on to the next thing before we even hear what you thought about the last thing!  Share the love.

• SPY VIP

Writing about how much I love my hybrid with the old green NV in the other post makes me think I should get one for the driver...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived