TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Putting Stick - Interesting putting aid

Started playing around with this interesting little gadget last night...

2014-11-19 21.32.19.jpg

It's called The Putting Stick from TPK Golf (click here for the website) - one of the more interesting putting aids I've played with.

The green carpet isn't part of it - bought that a couple of years ago. The Putting Stick is a 3-foot long piece of hard plastic with a dimple to rest the ball on.  The goal is to putt with an accelerating stroke and keep the ball on the stick the entire length.  It's harder than it looks...

There's a mirror assembly at the end of that stick that tells you whether your eyes are over the ball and whether you're in alignment.

This picture shows I'm slightly out of alignment...

2014-11-19 21.33.32.jpg

Here's what you see if you're in alignment with eyes over the ball...

2014-11-19 21.34.01.jpg

You have to make a smooth, accelerating stroke to keep the ball on the track.  It ain't easy.

Will play around with this thing a little more and give a full report...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Will take some video in the next few days and post.  This is a pretty interesting tool -- getting the ball to roll the length of the stick 5 times in a row is a challenge.  If you're alignment is a little off or if the putter isn't square, you don't have a chance.  Did find that the more I worked with it the more natural is became to set up properly and to be able to see the ball in the center line of the mirror.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't think this would work for me. Seems like it has to be set up perfectly level and on a smooth surface, neither of which I could find very easily. My patience is lacking when I have to fiddle with something.

I find that all I need is the string on two nails. Line it up with a straight putt or a breaker if you want; and put eyes over the string so that the string intersects the ball. Works for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't think this would work for me. Seems like it has to be set up perfectly level and on a smooth surface, neither of which I could find very easily. My patience is lacking when I have to fiddle with something.

I find that all I need is the string on two nails. Line it up with a straight putt or a breaker if you want; and put eyes over the string so that the string intersects the ball. Works for me.

There's also a Pro version of the putting stick - doesn't have the mirror assembly.  Can set it up pretty much anywhere.  The goal is the same - keep the ball on the stick.  It's supposed to teach proper alignment and an accelerating stroke.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Interesting. Where did u get it?

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I saw the Pro version on the website and it looks like it would be better, but if you can't get it level the ball will never have a chance.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My cats would have a blast with it!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Interesting. Where did u get it?

TPK Golf out of Minnesota.  Ciick here.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 3 years later...

You're right, this IS a pretty neat training aid. Seems like a step up from putting down the ruler that a few guys here have recommended.

Unfortunately, it also seems like a big step up in price.

Sent from #throwbackthursday

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from the mirror attachment, I'm not sure how this differs all that much from using a yard stick. I think I'll just save my money and use one of those...

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Let us know how this works out.  Adding the mirror for alignment seems like a good idea.  You can see if your eyes are over the ball and if the ball is aligned to the sweet spot of the putter.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I was wondering the same thing. Does it have a slight doming to make it more difficult so even a minimal pushes or pulls are exaggerated and won't stay on??? Other wise I think I'm with TR1PTIK and will keep with my metal meter stick

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Aside from the mirror attachment, I'm not sure how this differs all that much from using a yard stick. I think I'll just save my money and use one of those...

Started playing around with this interesting little gadget last night...

attachicon.gif2014-11-19 21.32.19.jpg

It's called The Putting Stick from TPK Golf (click here for the website) - one of the more interesting putting aids I've played with.

The green carpet isn't part of it - bought that a couple of years ago. The Putting Stick is a 3-foot long piece of hard plastic with a dimple to rest the ball on.  The goal is to putt with an accelerating stroke and keep the ball on the stick the entire length.  It's harder than it looks...

There's a mirror assembly at the end of that stick that tells you whether your eyes are over the ball and whether you're in alignment.

This picture shows I'm slightly out of alignment...

attachicon.gif2014-11-19 21.33.32.jpg

Here's what you see if you're in alignment with eyes over the ball...

attachicon.gif2014-11-19 21.34.01.jpg

You have to make a smooth, accelerating stroke to keep the ball on the track.  It ain't easy.

Will play around with this thing a little more and give a full report...

I was wondering the same thing. Does it have a slight doming to make it more difficult so even a minimal pushes or pulls are exaggerated and won't stay on??? Other wise I think I'm with TR1PTIK and will keep with my metal meter stick

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

They did make an update to this where the mirror at the end was replaced with a smaller mirror you set your ball on. I have a metal yard stick I can putt on all day and I also have this it is much tougher, but also not as wide.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I just got one last weekend. Definitely helps me square things up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Archived