Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Weird golf news of the week

Mr_Theoo

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/11/weird-golf-news-of-the-week-cl.html

Club's dress code crackdown leads to a violent uprising

Don't get the powers-that-be at Weston Golf Club started on jeans in the clubhouse.

Back in September, the President of the Boston-based golf club began a McCarthy-esqe crackdown on those members who didn't adhere to the club's dress code, which strictly prohibits any form of jeans apart from white jeans for lady members.

The President opened an "investigation" into potential violations and as a result suspended 10 members for three months, according to the Boston Globe, who first reported the story.

And it turns out, the harshness of the crackdown actually led to a violent uprising. Stephen and Charlotte Weeple, two guests planning on meeting one of their member-friends, were walking into the clubhouse on a Saturday in September (the report has just been made public). That's when Tom Ferry -- the president -- stopped the couple in their tracks and informed them they were in violation of the dress code. Things came to blows not long after, and the police were called to help cool things down.

Basically everyone involved declined to comment to the Boston Globe except for a spokesperson for Weston Golf Club, who offered this nugget:

“The dress code is meant to encourage people to present themselves in ways that engender pride in the club

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Weston does tend to be a bit snooty.  Private clubs gonna do what private clubs gonna do, I guess.  

I prefer the Groucho Marx theory - I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have someone like me as a member.

I have pride...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow - over here in the land of snooty (it's not all like downton abbey I promise) courses with strict dress codes are common - but each year some of them are removing these rules or watering them down. Move to accept street style golf shoes blew a few committees minds.

Good job to, love chilling out In the bar in street clothes - not scruffy, just nice to relax after a game.

That club sounds worryingly like caddy shack territory.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Thank Goodness my club is open to the Public so there is no dress code in the Pub......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My home course has no dress code at all. I've played in t-shirts with cut off sleeves when it was in the 90's during the Summer.

Most courses in my area only require a shirt with sleeves, and a few require a shirt with a collar, other than that...........

Shirts? There is one 9 hole course in my area that after the 1st tee, shirts come off until approaching the 9th green. Guys, that is, and millennials. Nobody wants to see a bunch of old guys like me shirtless.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Shirts? There is one 9 hole course in my area that after the 1st tee, shirts come off until approaching the 9th green. Guys, that is, and millennials. Nobody wants to see a bunch of old guys like me shirtless.

As Red Green once said - when a shirt flaps and wrinkles in the breeze, it doesn't look too bad. When skin does that, that is not pretty!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Reminds me of this classic:

John C. Weitnauer

119 Peachtree Circle, NE

Athens, Georgia

John R. Holder

President

c/o Gary Lanneau, General Manager

at [email protected]

Piedmont Driving Club

1215 Piedmont Avenue, NE

Atlanta, GA 30309

Dear John:

I have heard that, during and after the latest member/member golf tournament, a great deal of — to put it mildly — inappropriate behavior occurred.

I have heard the following:

• several members decided to play several holes with no shirts. I am sure that this is contrary to the rules of the golf course. Had this been the only infraction of good manners that apparently occurred at the tournament, I would not be writing this letter.

• one member decided to play the 14th hole completely naked. I have not researched it, but I suspect this is a crime in Georgia

• several members urinated on one of the greens, in the presence of the caddie, a female, and one or more of the members deliberately exposed themselves to her while urinating. I suspect that this is also a crime in Georgia.

• one member decided to show off to other members, and a caddie, his ability to pick up a golf ball with his naked butt cheeks. I suspect that this behavior — if it occurred at Bobby Jones Golf Course — would have resulted in a call to the police and the arrest of the offender.

• several members decided to deliberately hit onto the green while the group ahead of them was putting on that green, with the announced intention of hitting the members who were putting. I don't know if you've ever been hit by a golf ball, but I believe that if a golf ball hits someone in the head, it can be fatal, or if it hits someone in the eye, the victim can be blinded in that eye. I don't know if deliberately trying to hit someone with a well struck golf ball is a crime in Georgia, but I suspect that it probably falls within one or more criminal statutes.

• on Friday night, one of the drunken golfers passed out in the men's grill, and another member opened his pants, pulled out his penis, and slapped the passed out member's head with his penis.

• on Friday night, after the golf day was finished, several members were extremely drunk and disorderly. (I suppose this is no surprise —- I am told that, on Friday alone, more vodka and beer was consumed than had ever been consumed in the two days of any prior member/member tournament).

• on Friday night, the noise made by several of the drunken and disorderly members was so obnoxious that a rehearsal dinner in the main dining area of the golf club was, of course, disturbed. When someone from the rehearsal dinner came into the men's grill to as that the drunken members quiet down, the response from one of the drunken golfers was "Go FXXX yourself."

• relations between the drunken golfers and rehearsal dinner did not improve — apparently several of the drunken golfers decided to "moon" the persons attending the rehearsal dinner.

In my mind, this behavior — if true — is horrific. I hope the Board has investigated, with both the golf club staff and the caddies on duty during the tournament, any and all allegations of such behavior.

If it is true that the drunken members disturbed the rehearsal dinner in any of the ways that I was told, I hope the Club has completely refunded the charges to the host of that dinner, and fined the drunk and disorderly members in at least and equal amount.

If it is true that any member has (i) cavorted naked on the golf course; (ii) urinated on a green in the presence of a caddie; (iii) deliberately hit onto a green with a group was putting; (iv) or "mooned" anyone at the Club, I hope the Board has (a) expelled those members and (B) will publicly post a report of such behavior and the sanctions imposed.

This behavior is far more offensive, and far more corrosive to the health and well being of the Club, than the late payment of a bill, which is routinely posted to bulletin boards throughout the Club, presumably to shame those guilty of such an infraction. This behavior, if confirmed, and the sanctions imposed by the Board, should be well publicized throughout the Club. Among other things, let the wives and children of these drunkards be confronted with, and ashamed by, the grotesque conduct of their husbands and fathers.

By the way, I don't think our staff can be expected to stop such behavior — all they can expected to do is to ask a member to behave appropriately, and if such a request is disregarded, report the misbehavior to the Board. The Board should be quick to impose harsh sanctions on such behavior — only then can we expect it will not be repeated.

I also hope the Board will discuss these events in detail, and the Board's actions in response to this behavior, at the upcoming Annual Meeting.

I would also appreciate it if you would forward copies of this letter to other officers of the Club, the members of the Board, and the members of the golf committee.

Very truly yours,

John C. Weitnauer

Posted Image

Reminds me of this classic:

John C. Weitnauer

119 Peachtree Circle, NE

Athens, Georgia

John R. Holder

President

c/o Gary Lanneau, General Manager

at [email protected]

Piedmont Driving Club

1215 Piedmont Avenue, NE

Atlanta, GA 30309

Dear John:

I have heard that, during and after the latest member/member golf tournament, a great deal of — to put it mildly — inappropriate behavior occurred.

I have heard the following:

• several members decided to play several holes with no shirts. I am sure that this is contrary to the rules of the golf course. Had this been the only infraction of good manners that apparently occurred at the tournament, I would not be writing this letter.

• one member decided to play the 14th hole completely naked. I have not researched it, but I suspect this is a crime in Georgia

• several members urinated on one of the greens, in the presence of the caddie, a female, and one or more of the members deliberately exposed themselves to her while urinating. I suspect that this is also a crime in Georgia.

• one member decided to show off to other members, and a caddie, his ability to pick up a golf ball with his naked butt cheeks. I suspect that this behavior — if it occurred at Bobby Jones Golf Course — would have resulted in a call to the police and the arrest of the offender.

• several members decided to deliberately hit onto the green while the group ahead of them was putting on that green, with the announced intention of hitting the members who were putting. I don't know if you've ever been hit by a golf ball, but I believe that if a golf ball hits someone in the head, it can be fatal, or if it hits someone in the eye, the victim can be blinded in that eye. I don't know if deliberately trying to hit someone with a well struck golf ball is a crime in Georgia, but I suspect that it probably falls within one or more criminal statutes.

• on Friday night, one of the drunken golfers passed out in the men's grill, and another member opened his pants, pulled out his penis, and slapped the passed out member's head with his penis.

• on Friday night, after the golf day was finished, several members were extremely drunk and disorderly. (I suppose this is no surprise —- I am told that, on Friday alone, more vodka and beer was consumed than had ever been consumed in the two days of any prior member/member tournament).

• on Friday night, the noise made by several of the drunken and disorderly members was so obnoxious that a rehearsal dinner in the main dining area of the golf club was, of course, disturbed. When someone from the rehearsal dinner came into the men's grill to as that the drunken members quiet down, the response from one of the drunken golfers was "Go FXXX yourself."

• relations between the drunken golfers and rehearsal dinner did not improve — apparently several of the drunken golfers decided to "moon" the persons attending the rehearsal dinner.

In my mind, this behavior — if true — is horrific. I hope the Board has investigated, with both the golf club staff and the caddies on duty during the tournament, any and all allegations of such behavior.

If it is true that the drunken members disturbed the rehearsal dinner in any of the ways that I was told, I hope the Club has completely refunded the charges to the host of that dinner, and fined the drunk and disorderly members in at least and equal amount.

If it is true that any member has (i) cavorted naked on the golf course; (ii) urinated on a green in the presence of a caddie; (iii) deliberately hit onto a green with a group was putting; (iv) or "mooned" anyone at the Club, I hope the Board has (a) expelled those members and ( B) will publicly post a report of such behavior and the sanctions imposed.

This behavior is far more offensive, and far more corrosive to the health and well being of the Club, than the late payment of a bill, which is routinely posted to bulletin boards throughout the Club, presumably to shame those guilty of such an infraction. This behavior, if confirmed, and the sanctions imposed by the Board, should be well publicized throughout the Club. Among other things, let the wives and children of these drunkards be confronted with, and ashamed by, the grotesque conduct of their husbands and fathers.

By the way, I don't think our staff can be expected to stop such behavior — all they can expected to do is to ask a member to behave appropriately, and if such a request is disregarded, report the misbehavior to the Board. The Board should be quick to impose harsh sanctions on such behavior — only then can we expect it will not be repeated.

I also hope the Board will discuss these events in detail, and the Board's actions in response to this behavior, at the upcoming Annual Meeting.

I would also appreciate it if you would forward copies of this letter to other officers of the Club, the members of the Board, and the members of the golf committee.

Very truly yours,

John C. Weitnauer

Now that reminds me of the old Rovers song, "Wasn't That A Party"

http://youtu.be/uLXxzcyvcY0

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow that's some golf day - I of course would never have been involved with such shenanigans.....

Not all at once anyway

Well not that I can remember anyway

Did wake up in a bunker once.....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Archived