Scors going bye-bye?

markb

We've seen our beloved Scors get special discounts this fall and we all know that the Hogans are coming.   Today I heard rumors that they've pulled the plug on Scor wedges and in the future you'll have to buy similar V-soled Hogans.

Anybody get an email announcement to this effect?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

We've seen our beloved Scors get special discounts this fall and we all know that the Hogans are coming.   Today I heard rumors that they've pulled the plug on Scor wedges and in the future you'll have to buy similar V-soled Hogans.

Anybody get an email announcement to this effect?

Not yet - but that sure lends credence to the notion that they're all in on Hogan...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I haven't but why not?  So long as it's the same club by a different name and one with greater recognition it makes perfect sense for them to rebrand.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• SPY VIP

Yes. True story. Scor is shutting down...well sorta...

Terry Koehler, the guy behind Scor has taken over the Ben Hogan brand. When I think all is said and done and the new Hogan stuff hits the market, it's going to look a lot like an extension of the Scor line. I'd venture a guess that Hogan short game clubs will essentially be Scor short game clubs.

So yeah...Scor shutting down, but I think it will effectively be reborn as Ben Hogan.

We shall see. 

• Like 1

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Yes. True story. Scor is shutting down...well sorta...

Terry Koehler, the guy behind Scor has taken over the Ben Hogan brand. When I think all is said and done and the new Hogan stuff hits the market, it's going to look a lot like an extension of the Scor line. I'd venture a guess that Hogan short game clubs will essentially be Scor short game clubs.

So yeah...Scor shutting down, but I think it will effectively be reborn as Ben Hogan.

We shall see. 

I think this is very exciting and am anxious to see how it falls out.  I'm happy for SCOR reborn because the technology works for me and I believe for most golfers.  I'm thinking the Hogan name puts them on the map and allows them to carve out a more significant niche in the market place.

• Like 2

EVNRoll ER 5

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I agree with Rev.....this had to happen so that they could revamp the production for the new Hogans.

Should see them by February?

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Why didn't they just do like Titleist and keep the scor name for their wedges? 

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

I love my SCORs and would be very interested in Hogans if they carry the same looks and feel as the SCORs. I have the SCOR 9 iron equivalent, so I won't be buying a full set of Hogan irons, most likely 5-8. Would they sell a partial set? Not sure. Somehow they will need to accommodate their loyal SCOR users who bought into the 4161 philosophy that they marketed.

Even if the Hogan heads are similar to the SCOR heads, what worries me is that Hogans will not be available with the same shafts and the feel will be different.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I love my SCORs and would be very interested in Hogans if they carry the same looks and feel as the SCORs. I have the SCOR 9 iron equivalent, so I won't be buying a full set of Hogan irons, most likely 5-8. Would they sell a partial set? Not sure. Somehow they will need to accommodate their loyal SCOR users who bought into the 4161 philosophy that they marketed.

Even if the Hogan heads are similar to the SCOR heads, what worries me is that Hogans will not be available with the same shafts and the feel will be different.

That's always the issue isn't it?  That was SCOR's schtick and it's what we were testing here this summer.  Lots of companies have done the combo type set but getting them all to work together has been problematic.  Frankly I've been doing my own combo set for a long time and it's always worked okay for me - I'm betting on SCOR/Hogan to nail it on this one.

EVNRoll ER 5

I feel Kenny's pain.   I too am looking to build a combo set cause I'm pulling a Heston "pry them out of my cold dead hands" with my current Scors.   When the finish wears off of the ones I've got, I'll buy new old stock on ebay.   That's how much I love them now.   They've only gotten better every month I've hit them.

So the question becomes, will the new Hogans be the rest of that combo?   I too will be looking a buying only 4 - 8, max.   I'm sure that Terry and Barry will sell partial sets to their Scor followers, they have their fingers on our pulses.   And they'll have the V-sole, which all who try it love it.   I've also heard a rumor that they'll be sold by the degree! (Although I'll believe that last bit when I see it.)

They'll have some work to do to win my business however, because the Srixon z545, z745 and even z945 (JDM) irons are shweeet, have the V-sole, are Endo forged and (at least for me) come in lofts I like.   I don't know if you've noticed lately but the $/Yen exchange rate is so favorable to us right now that you can probably buy JDM irons for less than US prices.

Sad to see this happen but not surprised at the same time. I need to get another wedge to fill in a gap when I make my new irons, so I suppose I'll have to jump on the deal they've got going at the moment.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0

Hybrid: :Sub70: 949X Pro 2 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I just "scored" a SCOR 50* on eBay for $20. It's in pretty decent shape. So, we shall see what all this Scor love is all about..

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

My fitter, who's a SCOR reseller, told me about this a few weeks ago.  I plan on doing a bag check on my clubs in a few weeks and since my fitter will be adding the Ben Hogan line to his offerings, who knows what I'll be gaming next spring - lol

It makes sense to go "all in" on the Hogan brand name and I can only assume the design of the short game clubs will carry over from SCOR to the Hogan lineup.

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I just "scored" a SCOR 50* on eBay for $20. It's in pretty decent shape. So, we shall see what all this Scor love is all about..

Before you take it out to the course, take it in to the shop and have it checked for loft and lie.  This is critical because you might get a surprise.  Then have it bent, cut or extended to your specs.   The performance of my Scors shot up 10 fold after I had them adjusted.

I wish we could change the title of this thread. Every time I see a new post and the title comes up, I get anxious that the SCORs are really going bye-bye. I know they will probably just morph into the Ben Hogan line, but I still don't like the title.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just hope they do a better job spelling Hogan than they did Scor.  Just seems like the wrong anser on a test.  :lol:

• Like 3

Driver:      :taylormade-small:  SIM2 Max 9° -2° on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 5S

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190 5w  On Fujikura VENTUS Blue 6s

:ping-small:  G425MAX 7w  Flat on Project X Hzrdus Yellow 

:ping-small:  G425MAX  9w  Flat on Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H and 7H Flat on UST ProForce V2 

Irons:     :benhogan-small: ICON Black 7-P on UST Recoil SmacWrap 760

Wedges: :benhogan-small: Equalizer II Black 50°, 54° & 60° on UST Recoil SmacWrap 760

Putter:    :EVNROLL: ER5B

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I wish we could change the title of this thread. Every time I see a new post and the title comes up, I get anxious that the SCORs are really going bye-bye. I know they will probably just morph into the Ben Hogan line, but I still don't like the title.

How about "Scors saying Sayonara" or "Scors take the dirt nap"  or "Scors dead, Hogan lives again".

Anyway you type it, it looks like the end under the Scor name.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the guys playing SCOR wedges. How many of you actually went to their site and bought what their fitting system recommended?

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

I went with their recommendations for shaft, length, and lie. For lofts they recommended 60*, 56*, 52*, 48* and 44*. I didn't go with those because I didn't want more than 58*. I've ended up with the 58*, 54*, 50*, and 45* and they continue to exceed my expectations.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0