Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tiger testing a new driver

Mr_Theoo

https://vine.co/v/OvBAYuKZrXA

Looks like Tiger is back on the range getting ready for his tournament coming up. Also looks like he's considering putting the new Nike vapor driver in the bag.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just watched that about 10 times :)

He and the swing looks good

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

• SPY VIP

I got a heads-up from Nike yesterday. This week Tiger will have the Vapor Speed 'Prototype' Driver in play along with Vapor Speed Fairway Woods and Vapor Pro irons. All good news for Nike, but what's also big for them is that Tiger will FINALLY have a RZN (RZN Black) ball in play as well.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

New to the USGA list is Vapor Speed (version) 3. Given the timing, it's a safe assumption that this is the Tiger model.

20140642.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Tiger's new Driver is a 420 cc.

Amazing, i watched the video of his swing a half dozen times focusing on different aspects of his swing each time.....I noticed that his head dips down a lot and he still lunges at the ball.  Overall, his swing looks very good.  I'll be there in person to watch him on Sunday with 3 of my golf buddies...(I won 4 tix off X/M Radio) :D  :D  :D

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

New to the USGA list is Vapor Speed (version) 3. Given the timing, it's a safe assumption that this is the Tiger model.

attachicon.gif20140642.jpg

Interesting -- from the sound of it when we were in Texas Nike was hopeful Tiger would like the Vapor Flex. It looks like this has the same head shape and size as the Flex, without the Flight Pod.  Kinda doubtful Tiger would need a Flight Pod  :huh:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Interesting -- from the sound of it when we were in Texas Nike was hopeful Tiger would like the Vapor Flex. It looks like this has the same head shape and size as the Flex, without the Flight Pod.  Kinda doubtful Tiger would need a Flight Pod  :huh:

And so here it is, yet another example of Nike's Tiger problem. As you recall from our visit, there's a push at Nike to be Authentic, and part of that means that what the Nike Athletes play is exactly what's available for purchase by the consumer. It's worked well since Rory came on...dude plays stock everything with some van work on the soles of his otherwise stock irons.

With Tiger, nearly everything is a one-off. Case in point this apparently glued hosel mini version of the Speed driver that bares almost no resemblance to what's on shelves. The irons will definitely be tweaked for loft (Tiger is old school), and it's a reasonable bet that the ball is a special formula. It's progress, for the brand, but it certainly runs counter to the authenticity message.

And so here it is, yet another example of Nike's Tiger problem. As you recall from our visit, there's a push at Nike to be Authentic, and part of that means that what the Nike Athletes play is exactly what's available for purchase by the consumer. It's worked well since Rory came on...dude plays stock everything with some van work on the soles of his otherwise stock irons.

With Tiger, nearly everything is a one-off. Case in point this apparently glued hosel mini version of the Speed driver that bares almost no resemblance to what's on shelves. The irons will definitely be tweaked for loft (Tiger is old school), and it's a reasonable bet that the ball is a special formula. It's progress, for the brand, but it certainly runs counter to the authenticity message.

I agree, but at the same time I see where they are coming from.  Tiger still has "star power", but I don't think he necessarily has the selling power anymore.  I think they can get away with him playing custom gear, with relatively few people even noticing.  Rory is where it's at; he has the majority of the "star power" and in my opinion all of the selling power.

Yeah - I remember Matt Plumb saying Rory was pretty easy to fit - if it works he's good with it.  Tiger gets involved in every aspect of his tools. It'll be interesting to see if this driver head ever makes it to market.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I personally don't care if Tiger or any pro has one off equipment. It's their job and they like the rest of us need tools to do the job. It seems like golf is the only sport where the consumer gets mad the pros have special equipment. But the pros in other sports do too. I can't go to the store and buy the same shoes LeBron wears and I don't expect to be able to get the exact same clubs Tiger uses either.

Archived